PDA

View Full Version : SEC Chant

NYC Poke
1/8/2008, 12:14 AM
I saw the LSU players during the post-game doing an "SEC! SEC! SEC!" chant.

Don't get me wrong, I support all Big XII schools (more a fan of the Big 8, but whatever) when they're playing out of conference. But you win a MNC and you're cheering for your freaking conference?!! So are they going to share that crystal ball with Mississippi State, South Carolina, Arkansas, and Kentucky?

I would like to think that if we ever won a MNC (yeah, yeah, let me dream), our team would be more proud of our school, not the conference.

Soonerus
1/8/2008, 12:16 AM
I thought that was odd too...

Paperclip
1/8/2008, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately I've witnessed that chant on a few occasions.

OK2LA
1/8/2008, 12:19 AM
I was chanting along with them in my living room.

It kind of grows on you.

NYC Poke
1/8/2008, 12:20 AM
I thought that was odd too...

I think it may be time for me to start officially despising the SEC. I had held off, despite the cockiness, just because I respect their football.

I eagerly await the emergence of Troy and the chant of "Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt!" following their MNC.

n8v_ndn
1/8/2008, 02:16 AM
I work with alumni from Bama, Florida, and Auburn. It seems that fans of the SEC teams have a firm belief that their brand of football is superior to anything else in the US. They talk about the overall speed and quality of Offenses and Defenses, etc. They also think that if their teams didn't beat each other up in conference, they'd win a lot more national titles, or at least get into the big game more often.

This 'family pride' is what makes them chat SEC at the end of victories over non-conference teams, esp. in an SEC stadium. I heard it after the 'overrated' chants during the UGA/Hawaii game too :o)

Big Ten teams have made 17 appearances in BCS bowls, the SEC 15, and the Big XII 13:

Big Ten: 8-9 (47%) overall, 1 national championship
SEC: 11-4 (73%), 4 NC's
Big XII: 5-8 (39%), 2 NC's

dabien
1/8/2008, 02:21 AM
yea seriously SEC does play a different brand of football
i think USC is probably the only team that had enough speed to face LSU this year.
anyone want to argue with me on that? and year-in-year out i feel like the top teams in the SEC have a faster defense than everyone else besides USC.
big 12 can't compare just yet :-/ our time was the 90s with nebraska's black shirts

hink4769
1/8/2008, 02:23 AM
i think USC is probably the only team that had enough speed to face LSU this year.
anyone want to argue with me on that? and year-in-year out i feel like the top teams in the SEC have a faster defense than everyone else besides USC.
big 12 can't compare just yet :-/ our time was the 90s with nebraska's black shirts
The OU team that showed up against Mizzou in the CCG can play with anybody.

dabien
1/8/2008, 02:26 AM
The OU team that showed up against Mizzou in the CCG can play with anybody.

no I don't think so. Missouri is a good team but nothing compared to LSU and USC this year.
I feel like these 2 teams were cream of the crop. The reason why they lost some of their games was because key players were injured. You can make that argument with OU, however our defense has never been as good as LSU or USC's past years.
is it because of Brent Venables? I have to agree.
just look at the statistics and you'll see.

n8v_ndn
1/8/2008, 02:26 AM
Man, I'd like to see USC vs. LSU in a +1 game...

Could be anyone's game, but I think that Tiger D would get to Booty more consistently, disrupting their offense and make them a bit 1-dimensional.

LSU 37
USC 31

dabien
1/8/2008, 02:31 AM
Man, I'd like to see USC vs. LSU in a +1 game...

Could be anyone's game, but I think that Tiger D would get to Booty more consistently, disrupting their offense and make them a bit 1-dimensional.

LSU 37
USC 31
... and the preseason rankings of USC #1 lsu #2 fail to happen at the end, even though the whole nation wanted it.
we need a playoff system.

insuranceman_22
1/8/2008, 02:41 AM
I'd kind of like to see suc and lsu, also wouldn't mind seeing Georgia and lsu hook up......

insuranceman_22
1/8/2008, 02:43 AM
Who am I kidding, I'd like to see lsu and the Patriots hook up in New England....and Coach B. and Brady to not let off the gas till it's over......
Sorry dek, but I want your tig's to get buried!

CORNholio
1/8/2008, 03:24 AM
Ohio State was a little over rated. LSU didn't prove anything more than that. The SEC is not "superior". The Big 10 is down. That is what the nation has learned the last two years.

dghere
1/8/2008, 07:08 AM
"Man, I'd like to see USC vs. LSU in a +1 game..."

and two of USC's big players are from Louisiana, Booty and McKnight.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2008, 08:06 AM
I guess some of you are dense.

A major part of the story for this game was that tOSU had never beaten an SEC team in a bowl game. O for 8. They were just being reminded that the streak was intact.

This isn't rocket surgery.

sooneron
1/8/2008, 08:40 AM

Uh, yeah whatever you say. I guess Arkansas and Kentucky are uber juggernauts or something.
anyone want to argue with me on that?
I just did and proved you completely wrong. I saw Mizzou roll over that same Arkie team. By that logic mizzou > lsu.

and year-in-year out i feel like the top teams in the SEC have a faster defense than everyone else besides USC.
:rolleyes:

I wonder why you are so in the red?

DBrown
1/8/2008, 01:59 PM
As I understand it,the winning team gets more $$$$.
Each team in the league gets to share in that bowl $$$ revenue.
More wins equal more dollars....to spread around to the league members.
Thus...9 out of 12 SEC teams went to bowls,finishing 7 and 2.
That's pretty good spreading around $$$.
Only thing is....Vandy,South Carolina and (Ole Miss pending NCAA investigation) get to enjoy the $$$ too.

MextheBulldog
1/8/2008, 02:26 PM
Had a buddy who moved down from Michigan to the SEC country put it to me this way: "Many (Southerners) still think they shoulda/coulda won the war." Which war - I ask. "The Civil War". Southern pride runs deep, wayyyyyy deep, as in >200 years deep.

But its still silly to chant "S-E-C" when your team wins a big game.

soonermarkus
1/8/2008, 02:50 PM
i'll go on record as saying i thought it was strange....yes, i love stating the obvious.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/8/2008, 02:55 PM
Had a buddy who moved down from Michigan to the SEC country put it to me this way: "Many (Southerners) still think they shoulda/coulda won the war." Which war - I ask. "The Civil War". Southern pride runs deep, wayyyyyy deep, as in >200 years deep.

But its still silly to chant "S-E-C" when your team wins a big game.So many people in Dixie still think about the Civil War, A LOT. I contend sports excellence has a weather component. Where's the best football? CA, TX, LA, FL, and other deep south states.

hink4769
1/8/2008, 02:58 PM
So many people in Dixie still think about the Civil War, A LOT. I contend sports excellence has a weather component. Where's the best football? CA, TX, LA, FL, and other deep south states.
Yeah, kids growing up in warm weather states are able to train outdoors year round.

NYC Poke
1/8/2008, 03:08 PM
The Southern Speed Myth: http://www.slate.com/toolbar.aspx?action=read&id=2181319

IMO, states that have a football culture produce more good football players.

OklahomaRed
1/8/2008, 03:23 PM
I guess Arkansas and Florida forgot to drink their SEC gatoraid this year? Alabama didn't impress me either with their squeak out against a weak Colorado team. Mizzou totally embarrassed Arkansas, and last year's MNC Florida lost to a weak Michigan team. The Big 12 actually did well in this year's bowl appearances if you take away a weak A&M team's loss, and Oklahoma's bowl embarrassment. As a hardcore OU fan, I hate it (HATE) that OU's annual letdown in big BCS games is not helping the Big XII at ALL. :(

picasso
1/8/2008, 03:41 PM
I think the SEC leads the nation in outdoor whizzing.

1/8/2008, 03:49 PM
I think the SEC leads the nation in outdoor whizzing.It's cuz the whizzer don't get brittle and break off.

tbl
1/8/2008, 03:52 PM
You have to live here to understand the pride these people have in their conference. Its unreal. I do think the Southern thing plays into it...

NYC Poke
1/8/2008, 03:53 PM
The chant's going to be real cumbersome if a Conference USA team ever wins.

85sooners
1/8/2008, 04:02 PM
freaks!

FranklinTN_SoonerFan
1/8/2008, 05:04 PM
Simply a cultural difference. If your from TX, your from TX. If your from OK, your from OK. If your from TN, LA, GA, AL, MS, etc., your Southern. Just like Oklahoma fans take pride in their football as a way to showcase the states great qualities on a national level; Southerners feel the same about their Southern brand of football showcasing the South's finer qualities on a national level.

AlabamaSooner
1/8/2008, 06:14 PM
Simply a cultural difference. If your from TX, your from TX. If your from OK, your from OK. If your from TN, LA, GA, AL, MS, etc., your Southern. Just like Oklahoma fans take pride in their football as a way to showcase the states great qualities on a national level; Southerners feel the same about their Southern brand of football showcasing the South's finer qualities on a national level.

You hit the nail on the head. Having lived in both Alabama and Oklahoma, I totally agree. People born in the South have a great pride and college football is a big way of expressing it (especially when one of the teams disposes of a northern team :P ).

OSUAggie
1/8/2008, 07:29 PM
It's definitely a Southern thing.

ACC ****ers chant "ACC" after winning any sort of basketball game on a national stage.

I think of it more as penis envy. Then again, I hate the South.

proudsoonergal
1/8/2008, 07:37 PM
I happened to be in Arkansas today, and the fans there were crowing about the SEC winning another MNC. All "the SEC conference is great" talk, and "wow, aren't we special, we beat LSU this year." Bleck.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2008, 07:58 PM
Remember when 3 of the top 5 were Big 12?

yeah, nobody mentioned that repeatedly around here.

Glass.
Houses.

AlabamaSooner
1/8/2008, 08:03 PM

ACC ****ers chant "ACC" after winning any sort of basketball game on a national stage.

We all love you too...have some sweet tea.

proudsoonergal
1/8/2008, 10:03 PM
Remember when 3 of the top 5 were Big 12?

yeah, nobody mentioned that repeatedly around here.

Glass.
Houses.

Yeah, but that's totally different.

:D

TideMarine06
1/8/2008, 10:19 PM
There is a reason for that S-E-C chant. Everybody in this nation will not give it to us, that we are the STRONGEST, FASTEST, and overall BEST Conference in College Football. We are just tired of hearing that we may not be. I mean how much more do we need to do?

goingoneight
1/8/2008, 10:20 PM
I'm just wondering if Tom Brady and Co. will start chanting "A-F-C, A-F-C!!!" if they win it all... since, you know... that's normal and everything.

goingoneight
1/8/2008, 10:25 PM
There is a reason for that S-E-C chant. Everybody in this nation will not give it to us, that we are the STRONGEST, FASTEST, and overall BEST Conference in College Football. We are just tired of hearing that we may not be. I mean how much more do we need to do?

Maybe play title games that aren't in SEC country or against overrated BIG 10 teams? Pretty damned lucky at times, too. Your beloved Kentucky was fighting for life against an FSU team with 36 suspended players for example.

How many BCS games has LSU won outside of Louisiana? Have they gone into California against USC like Texas did? Have they gone into Florida against FSU's best team probably ever like Oklahoma did? Seriously, your "definitive stats" aren't exactly solid when ther same team that lost to Appalachian State beat your defending National Champs, either.

Good conference, best overall this year... not unbeatable. Stop acting like other programs don't have speed and talent, too. That's stupid.

SoonerShark
1/8/2008, 11:04 PM

In 1990, I was in Asheville, NC. In basketball, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas of the Big Eight took turns being number one with Oklahoma blowing out number one rated MU and number one rated KU in successive games. Nationally, the last weekend in February, ABC was broadcasting the OU-Missouri game. The ABC affiliate in Asheville broadcast a taped travel show rather than showing a non-ACC game.

In March 1990, Oklahoma was rated number one in basketball and was playing an underdog North Carolina team in "neutral" Austin, TX. We were beaten by a last second UNC lay-up. The locals in a bar were all chanting "ACC, ACC, ACC."

I was rooting for the Big XII in every game we played. Five teams won. Three lost. UT, OSU, and Mizzou won in blow-outs, MU and UT unexpectedly so. KU beat the number 3 rated team. OSU had the only truly crappy opponent, so its blow-out was expected. Two other BTC teams were beaten by only a touchdown, A&M without a head coach. We were the only team that embarassed the conference. "BTC, BTC, BTC."

OSUAggie
1/8/2008, 11:09 PM

Beat LA-Monroe?

SoonerShark
1/8/2008, 11:23 PM

Occasionally play cold weather teams on their home fields in November. Play bowl games outside of your own or nearby states. Don't always play 6-6 teams in bowls. Don't have your wife and sister be the same person. Don’t live by the adage “What do you call a local girl who can outrun her brothers?” Don’t tell offensive jokes like, “What do you call an African American doctor when he leaves the room?” Don’t have your fans screaming obscenities at the opposing teams fans outside the Superdome in your latest Bowl home game. Don’t have your family tree look like a stalk of bamboo. Don’t have the rebel flag proudly displayed on your vehicle, person or in your home. Don’t be a Baptist who blows up or burns other Baptist churches that are pastored by civil rights leaders. Don’t lynch people because they want to vote. But perhaps my memory is too long. Just do the first few things plus don't play home bowl games unless you are the University of New Mexico.

AlabamaSooner
1/9/2008, 12:22 AM
Occasionally play cold weather teams on their home fields in November.

Who cares if it's a "cold" weather team or not? If it's that big of a deal, then more northern teams come down south in August/September too (they do cramp up much more often...seen it a few times in person). Two way street.

Play bowl games outside of your own or nearby states.

Like anything can be done about that. Big bowl games are played in the South because it's nice and warm. No brainer.

Don't always play 6-6 teams in bowls.

You mean like playing 6-6 CU? Oh yeah, Bama was 6-6 too. Pretty even.

Don't have your wife and sister be the same person. Don’t live by the adage “What do you call a local girl who can outrun her brothers?” Don’t tell offensive jokes like, “What do you call an African American doctor when he leaves the room?” Don’t have your fans screaming obscenities at the opposing teams fans outside the Superdome in your latest Bowl home game. Don’t have your family tree look like a stalk of bamboo. Don’t have the rebel flag proudly displayed on your vehicle, person or in your home. Don’t be a Baptist who blows up or burns other Baptist churches that are pastored by civil rights leaders. Don’t lynch people because they want to vote. But perhaps my memory is too long. Just do the first few things plus don't play home bowl games unless you are the University of New Mexico.

Talk about stereotypes. Real classy stuff there...and pretty far off I might add. When you step into reality and get your facts straight,[hairGel] maybe you'll make more sense. Until then, have fun in your little world.

1/9/2008, 12:49 AM
I'm just wondering if Tom Brady and Co. will start chanting "A-F-C, A-F-C!!!" if they win it all... since, you know... that's normal and everything.Excellent. This demonstrates how weird and surprising it was to me when the LSUers started chanting SEC SEC. They could/should have been chanting GEAUX TIGERS or something like that, instead.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 12:51 AM
As weird as it might be..........

obsessing over it is nearly as bad.

AlabamaSooner
1/9/2008, 01:03 AM
Excellent. This demonstrates how weird and surprising it was to me when the LSUers started chanting SEC SEC. They could/should have been chanting GEAUX TIGERS or something like that, instead.

Well, they took care of their "normal" chants before they let loose the SEC stuff. I don't know why it's so weird for a team to enjoy representing their conference. When Mizzou, KU, and us were all in the top 5, there sure were a lot on here (me included especially since it was from the north division for once) that were excited about it and how it represented the Big 12 well.

1/9/2008, 11:22 AM
Well, they took care of their "normal" chants before they let loose the SEC stuff. I don't know why it's so weird for a team to enjoy representing their conference. When Mizzou, KU, and us were all in the top 5, there sure were a lot on here (me included especially since it was from the north division for once) that were excited about it and how it represented the Big 12 well.LSU got about 20 players around the ESPN Gameday broadcast booth just to chant SEC SEC. Sorry, a surprise and weird.

MextheBulldog
1/9/2008, 01:05 PM
Too bad LSU did not even have to play one of the best teams in their conference. But at least they won the Big 10 (Ohio St) and the ACC (VaTech).

AlabamaSooner
1/9/2008, 01:10 PM
LSU got about 20 players around the ESPN Gameday broadcast booth just to chant SEC SEC. Sorry, a surprise and weird.

If you're surprised, you don't know much about the SEC then. What's weird to you is normal to them....just like what's normal to you might be weird to them.

CORNholio
1/9/2008, 05:23 PM
It's a "family love" thing I believe. You know how the lines of "family love" can get blurred in the deep south though.
I think it is simply a way for the losers of their conference to feel like winners by coming up with an excuse that every one can buy into. "Well, you played in the SEC that's why you lost 5 games. If it had been the ACC we would've been 11-1."
It has evolved to the point of every team in the SEC embracing it and wearing it on their sleeve like a cult following. SEC pride has replaced school pride for a lot of SEC fans.

There is safety in numbers.

1/9/2008, 05:28 PM
It's a "family love" thing I believe. You know how the lines of "family love" can get blurred in the deep south though.
I think it is simply a way for the losers of their conference to feel like winners by coming up with an excuse that every one can buy into. "Well, you played in the SEC that's why you lost 5 games. If it had been the ACC we would've been 11-1."
It has evolved to the point of every team in the SEC embracing it and wearing it on their sleeve like a cult following. SEC pride has replaced school pride for a lot of SEC fans.

There is safety in numbers.Beauty. Well said

picasso
1/9/2008, 05:32 PM
my question is can they spell it?

AlabamaSooner
1/9/2008, 05:37 PM
It has evolved to the point of every team in the SEC embracing it and wearing it on their sleeve like a cult following.

It's always been that way. Nothing new or "evolved".

SEC pride has replaced school pride for a lot of SEC fans.
There is safety in numbers.

Whether or not you believe it, it is possible to have pride in both. If the Big 12 were in the position the SEC is, you'd see the same thing. If it bothers you that much, just ignore it...problem fixed. Some people have conference pride, some don't...simple as that. Hard to fault a conference for being proud of having a lot of accomplishments.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 05:46 PM
Hard to fault a conference for being proud of having a lot of accomplishments.
The same dingalings criticizing the SEC for this chant were all giddy and posting repeatedly about the Big 12 having 3 of the top 5 earlier this year.

conference pride happens all over.

NYC Poke
1/9/2008, 05:52 PM
I'm all for conference pride, but to chant for your conference after winning your bowl game (I heard this at the UGA game, though from the fans, not the players). I just can't imagine doing a "Big XII, Big XII, Big XII" chant.

hink4769
1/9/2008, 06:00 PM
I have a hard time pulling for teams in conference because I'm so used to rooting against them. But it is nice to say you play in a tough conference so people take you seriously.

1/9/2008, 06:17 PM
I'm all for conference pride, but to chant for your conference after winning your bowl game (I heard this at the UGA game, though from the fans, not the players). I just can't imagine doing a "Big XII, Big XII, Big XII" chant.What he said.

AlabamaSooner
1/9/2008, 06:45 PM
The same dingalings criticizing the SEC for this chant were all giddy and posting repeatedly about the Big 12 having 3 of the top 5 earlier this year.

conference pride happens all over.

Totally agree

TAFBSooner
1/9/2008, 09:26 PM

That was your Michigan buddy. If he were quoting those Southerners it would have been "The War for Southern Independence."

I have a friend at work who says, about 1861, that "Lincoln shouldn't have bothered."

I agree that "SEC!," for them, is another way of saying "Dixie!"