PDA

View Full Version : Ford Center Vote

OU Adonis
1/7/2008, 06:01 PM
I have seen more negative feedback from people not wanting to pass this inititive. How can people honestly vote No and screw us out of getting an NBA team?

I realize there are a lot of different things we can be doing with our money but darn it, these sorts of opportunties don't come by often.

Its not like we are RAISING taxes, we are just extending a tax for another 12 to 15 months.

I will be very disappointed in my fellow Okies if we do not pass the Intitive on March 4th.

GrapevineSooner
1/7/2008, 06:21 PM
I have seen more negative feedback from people not wanting to pass this inititive. How can people honestly vote No and screw us out of getting an NBA team?

Because they're opposed to the idea of using public monies to assist professional sports teams.

I realize there are a lot of different things we can be doing with our money but darn it, these sorts of opportunties don't come by often.

Point well taken, especially for a city such as OKC that with the exception of last season, has never had the ability to be considered a home for a professional sports team.

Its not like we are RAISING taxes, we are just extending a tax for another 12 to 15 months.

True, but this would be akin to my financing company telling me that instead of having another year left of car payments, I'll have to have another year of payments tacked on after next year.

I will be very disappointed in my fellow Okies if we do not pass the Intitive on March 4th.

Fair enough. But I can't blame them just as I don't blame any voter here in Dallas for voting against funding for the American Airlines Center.

If the initiative passes, it passes. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

OU Adonis
1/7/2008, 07:47 PM
Because they're opposed to the idea of using public monies to assist professional sports teams.

Well professional sports teams do not make a whole lot of money. We give incentives for businesses to relocate to Oklahoma City (Dell) when they are doing financially well.

NBA teams rarely make a lot of money, especially small market teams. I read an article somewhere where they stated that the average profit was anywhere from 10 to 20 million a year.

If the average NBA team goes for 400 million and you make 10 million a year then your getting a 2.5% return on your investment. You can make more sticking the money in the bank and collecting interest.

NBA and other professional sports franchises require support of the host city.

If Oklahoma City gets a team, people from all over the country and outside of the country will learn about OKC. You can't buy that sort of advertising for a penny on the dollar sales tax.