PDA

View Full Version : UT's Jermichael Finley going pro also

BASSooner
1/7/2008, 03:41 PM
Along with Jammal Charles, Jermichael Finley is also going pro.

Maybe Muschamp saved mack's job for the future.

its on orangebloods.com

aero
1/7/2008, 04:55 PM
Texas is like us, they lose talent, they replace with talent. Defense wins championships and they just upgraded, IMO, big time.

Paperclip
1/7/2008, 04:56 PM
I don't know if they used Finley except for the 1st half vs. us.

colleyvillesooner
1/7/2008, 05:13 PM
Texas Longhorns' Jermichael Finley heading to NFL

01:54 PM CST on Monday, January 7, 2008

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

AUSTIN – Texas redshirt sophomore tight end Jermichael Finley became the second Longhorn to forgo remaining eligibility to make himself eligible for the NFL draft.

Finley's announcement Monday in a statement released by the school comes after junior running back Jamaal Charles, the Big 12's leading rusher in 2007, also announced he was turning professional.

"The NFL is every football player's dream, and when my NFL grade came back, it was encouraging and I felt like it was in my best interest to enter the draft," Finley said. "I've worked really hard for three years at Texas to prepare for this and I think I'm ready for the challenge."

A source close to Finley said last week that Finley received indication he'd be drafted in the fourth round from an NFL committee that evaluates where underclassmen might be selected. The source said then that Finley was seriously considering returning to Texas.

But Finley has a daughter and another child on the way, and is willing to take his chances in the draft, the source said Monday.

Finley (6-5, 236), who turned down a chance to play basketball and football at Arizona, started all 13 games for UT and caught 45 passes for 575 yards and two touchdowns. He had four catches for a career-high 149 yards in a loss to Oklahoma this season.

"Jermichael is a great kid who has worked hard to improve in each of his three years with us," said Texas coach Mack Brown. "He finished his career ranked among the most productive receiving tight ends in school history and handled himself well both on and off the field during his time at Texas.

"He's leaving in good academic standing and we hope he will come back to finish his degree in the future. We thank him, support him and look forward to following him in the NFL."

Texas freshman Blaine Irby (6-3, 230) is the most likely to replace Finley in the starting lineup next season.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/010808dnspoutfblede.1c04dbd3.html#

BASSooner
1/7/2008, 05:26 PM
Texas is like us, they lose talent, they replace with talent. Defense wins championships and they just upgraded, IMO, big time.
yeah but they lost almost everyone on defense as well. Give them a couple of years and they will be a juggernaut

KingDavid
1/7/2008, 06:38 PM
I don't know if they used Finley except for the 1st half vs. us.

Yeah. Just like we didn't use Kelly in some halves . . .

Finley is a huge loss for Texas. He's not a typical tight end you can just back-fill. He was the sort of player that affects a game-plan, for opposing coaches to consider every down.

Finley is a lot bigger loss than Sweed, IMO.

Of course, there is the fact that he must be a little "slow" to leave when his grade only showed a 4th round pick. Reminds me of a lot of Jimmy Wilkerson - especially the reference to financial needs. Hopefully it will work out as good or better for Finley.

I think some team is going to get a whale of a deal if they draft him in the fourth round. I'll be he goes as high as late second round. I can't see him passing through 3 full rounds.

Jacie
1/7/2008, 08:04 PM
From the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about . . . illicit substances.

kelloggOUballa
1/9/2008, 02:06 AM
in the NFL Draft

http://colleges.beloblog.com/archives/2008/01/texas_finley_leaving_for_nfl.html

crazy

sorry this has already been posted....

OSUAggie
1/9/2008, 03:00 AM
I'm glad all these TE's are heading for the draft. Hopefully one of them stays.

Crucifax Autumn
1/9/2008, 03:14 AM
In the immortal words of the Ramones: "glad to see you go go go go goodbye"!

Boomer.....
1/9/2008, 08:41 AM
I guess since he redshirted, he is able to go pro after only 2 years of playing?

Theskipster
1/9/2008, 09:03 AM
The rule for eligibility is three years after a player graduates high school or 3 years after the class the player entered high school with graduates, whichever is earlier.

College status is irrelevant.

mikeelikee
1/9/2008, 09:53 AM
Excellent. We couldn't seem to cover him in the the first half of our game this year. Nice to know we won't have to next year.

MextheBulldog
1/9/2008, 10:46 AM
:) :) :) :) :)

BIG_IKE
1/9/2008, 11:05 AM
This is great news. This kid is a MONSTER! I know his family. Glad we won't have to play him again. He has like 2 kids and one on the way so I don't blame him. Wonder if his brother Javorskie Lane is gonna make it in the league.

85sooners
1/9/2008, 12:39 PM
bye

TheHumanAlphabet
1/9/2008, 01:54 PM
This is great news. This kid is a MONSTER! I know his family. Glad we won't have to play him again. He has like 2 kids and one on the way so I don't blame him. Wonder if his brother Javorskie Lane is gonna make it in the league.

Who is Lane's brother?

utex74
1/9/2008, 11:17 PM
Of course, there is the fact that he must be a little "slow" to leave when his grade only showed a 4th round pick. Reminds me of a lot of Jimmy Wilkerson - especially the reference to financial needs. Hopefully it will work out as good or better for Finley..

Finely may need money. He has one kid he is payiing for and another on the way. That will cross your eyes in a hurry.

utex74
1/9/2008, 11:19 PM
Wonder if his brother Javorskie Lane is gonna make it in the league.

"JaPorkie" will probably just shed some tears on whatever sideline he is on.

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 11:33 PM
Don't know if he has any kids or not but I think we have one leave early next year in the person of Jermaine Gresham.