PDA

View Full Version : Best Ice Cream

frankensooner
1/7/2008, 03:18 PM
Vote when ready!!! Vote for all of your favorites, sorry if I left anyone's favorite off, but feel free to write in.

olevetonahill
1/7/2008, 03:19 PM
This shoulda been a pole !

royalfan5
1/7/2008, 03:31 PM
I'm going to write in the UNL Dairy Store. It's one of the best things about having an office in the Food Industry Building.

sooneron
1/7/2008, 03:34 PM
I like I scream, I voted a LOT.

olevetonahill
1/7/2008, 03:47 PM
Vote when ready!!! Vote for all of your favorites, sorry if I left anyone's favorite off, but feel free to write in.
Glad to see you took My advice and made this a Pole !

Boomer.....
1/7/2008, 04:08 PM
There should be more options!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/7/2008, 04:10 PM
I'm gonna throw in Rusty's Frozen Custard and Freddie's Frozen Custard. Sure, they aren't ice cream but they are just as yummy.

Mjcpr
1/7/2008, 04:11 PM
I'm gonna throw in a Porterhouse steak then.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/7/2008, 04:12 PM
Ice cream that tastes like porterhouse steak? Gross.

StormySooner-IN
1/7/2008, 04:13 PM
Honey Hut.

Only in Cleveland area. Best EVAR.

Mjcpr
1/7/2008, 04:16 PM
Honey Hut.

Let's keep it clean, mister.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/7/2008, 04:16 PM
Add Kaiser's to the list.

IB4OU2
1/7/2008, 04:17 PM
Tulsa, Freckles Frozen Custard (the one just South of 51st and Harvard to be exact)

frankensooner
1/7/2008, 04:18 PM
Kaisers/Greatful Bean?

soonerbrat
1/7/2008, 04:19 PM
Gelato - stracciatella is my favorite flavor

soonerbrat
1/7/2008, 04:20 PM
oh..that's not a brand but whatever

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/7/2008, 04:20 PM
oh..that's not a brand but whateverMjcpr is gonna get you.

proud gonzo
1/7/2008, 04:21 PM
frozen custard and gelato are not ice cream. neither is frozen yogurt. stick to the topic, people.

soonerbrat
1/7/2008, 04:21 PM
for what?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/7/2008, 04:22 PM
Kaisers/Greatful Bean?yes. They make their ice cream daily. Sunshine's in the Liberty/BankOne/Chase Tower used to make really good ice cream. I don't know if they still do or not.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/7/2008, 04:23 PM
for what?I guess PG's getting all technical too.

soonerbrat
1/7/2008, 04:23 PM
frozen custard and gelato are not ice cream. neither is frozen yogurt. stick to the topic, people.

yes, some gelato is ice cream.

1stTimeCaller
1/7/2008, 04:28 PM
I like pepperoni on my pizza.

Boarder
1/7/2008, 04:47 PM
The Red Velvet Cake ice cream thing at Maggie Moos with pecans, brownie, and chocolate syrup is the best ice cream dish I have ever had. Anywhere.

StoopTroup
1/7/2008, 04:49 PM
Does your rooster like ice cream?

1stTimeCaller
1/7/2008, 04:54 PM
I've tried to feed him ice cream but he just throws it up.

M
1/7/2008, 04:54 PM
This thread makes me sad that I decided to bring to work pineapple slices instead of a pint of Ben & Jerry's for an afternoon snack. :(

IB4OU2
1/7/2008, 04:58 PM
This thread makes me sad that I decided to bring to work pineapple slices instead of a pint of Ben & Jerry's for an afternoon snack. :(

Cherry Garcia or Chunky Monkey?

M
1/7/2008, 05:04 PM
Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream :D

Boarder
1/7/2008, 05:07 PM
Btw, how on earth could anyone actually vote for Dippin' Dots. Those are the nearest nothing there ever was. They are most definitely NOT the ice cream of the future. If they are, the future looks bleak indeed.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/7/2008, 05:27 PM
Does the Red Velvet ice cream have any cream cheese flavor in it?

NormanPride
1/7/2008, 05:59 PM
I voted for everything like olevet did. But if I was forced to choose one, I'd have to go with my mother's homemade peppermint ice cream. We have it every 4th of July, and it just tastes like patriotism to me. :D

ChickSoonerFan
1/7/2008, 06:02 PM
Toss up between Häagen-Dazs coffee and dippin dots banana split.

that banana split is sooooo yummy. So really really yummy.

Kaisers was good. Where can you still get it?

proud gonzo
1/7/2008, 06:06 PM
yes, some gelato is ice cream.nooo, if it was ice cream they wouldn't call it gelato

SoonerBOI
1/7/2008, 06:17 PM
Braums is the best. I will pillage and conquer to have Braums once more.http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9339/cryingsmileykx1.gif (http://imageshack.us)

SOONER STEAKER
1/7/2008, 06:21 PM
You didn't list it but "FREE" ice cream is the best. If it aen't free, I prefer
Braum's.

OklaPony
1/7/2008, 06:40 PM
Swensen's is definitely da bomb. Orange chocolate chip for me, please.

King Crimson
1/7/2008, 07:21 PM
i used to work at a place that bought handmade italian gelato from a dairy in longmont, colorado. that's my write-in vote. it was awesome.

espresso hazelnut, wow.

Braum's chocolate chip as a kiddo, though.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2008, 08:48 PM
Btw, how on earth could anyone actually vote for Dippin' Dots. Those are the nearest nothing there ever was. They are most definitely NOT the ice cream of the future. If they are, the future looks bleak indeed.

Its been calling itself the ice cream of the future for 10 to 15 years now...just wondering when they meant it.

bluedogok
1/7/2008, 08:59 PM
Braums - I wish they would make their way down here.

Blue Bell - Great for store bought ice cream.

Haagen Daas - I wis they still had the Macadamia Brittle ice cream in grocery stores instead of just the ice cream stores.

Amy's Ice Creams (http://www.amysicecream.com/) - Great local chain, their White Chocolate Ice Cream is the closest that I have had to the best ice cream ever at Alessio's in Dallas. He has a new location (http://www.alessioscatering.com/menus.htm) and his serving the ice cream again. We are going to have to go up there and get some, it has been many years.

soonerbrat
1/7/2008, 10:37 PM
nooo, if it was ice cream they wouldn't call it gelato

gelato is a generic term for any frozen italian treat. some of it is sorbet (mostly southern italy) and some of it is ice cream (mostly northern italy)

stracciatella is basically chocolate chip ice cream

from wikipedia:

Gelato, or the plural Gelati, is Italian ice cream made from milk and sugar, combined with other flavorings. The gelato ingredients (after an optional pasteurization) are frozen while stirring to break up ice crystals as they form. Like high-end ice cream, gelato generally has less than 35% air, resulting in a dense and extremely flavourful product.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/7/2008, 11:15 PM
Chick, You can still get Kaiser's at their location @ 10th and Walker

OUsooner1
1/8/2008, 04:29 AM
Ben and Jerry's Halfbaked is just the best ever...darn good fingerlickin stuff.

soonerbrat
1/8/2008, 08:19 AM
Chick, You can still get Kaiser's at their location @ 10th and Walker

it's just called "The Grateful Bean" now.

soonerhubs
1/8/2008, 09:34 AM
Farr's Ice Cream out of Ogden Utah.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/8/2008, 09:45 AM
it's just called "The Grateful Bean" now.Right, but they still have the Kaiser's sign and they still make the homemade ice cream.

Lott's Bandana
1/8/2008, 09:52 AM
Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip
Hagen-Daz Coffee
Whatever ice cream Ghiradelli's uses.

M
1/8/2008, 05:01 PM
Amy's Ice Creams (http://www.amysicecream.com/) - Great local chain, their White Chocolate Ice Cream is the closest that I have had to the best ice cream ever at Alessio's in Dallas.

Oooh, I had Amy's when I was at ACL this year. Freakin' awesome.

I ate some ice cream over lunch today (mint chocolate chip), and I will probably eat more tonight. If I could exist on ice cream alone, I probably would! :P

Ike
1/8/2008, 05:21 PM
I loves me some Oberweis...

IB4OU2
1/8/2008, 05:36 PM
Is Baskin Robbins still around?

Ike
1/8/2008, 05:38 PM

Up here, they are...and with one lone exception, all of them are sharing floor space with Dunkin Donuts.

Mjcpr
1/8/2008, 05:39 PM

Yep, according to this. Try the Dauiri Ice! (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=baskin+robbins&near=Tulsa,+OK&fb=1&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=image)

IB4OU2
1/8/2008, 05:45 PM
Yep, according to this. Try the Dauiri Ice! (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=baskin+robbins&near=Tulsa,+OK&fb=1&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=image)

I'll have to try one if I don't get sidetracked by a Freckles. :D

My BIL used to own one across the street from NormanHS and at Crossroads mall.

Viking Kitten
1/8/2008, 06:44 PM
Oooh, I had Amy's when I was at ACL this year. Freakin' awesome.

I ate some ice cream over lunch today (mint chocolate chip), and I will probably eat more tonight. If I could exist on ice cream alone, I probably would! :P

My traitor UT grad brother introduced me to Amy's about 15 years ago. It is indeed the bomb-diggety. Coffee flavor with big ol' dark chocolate chunks crushed in. Mmmm Mmmm, bitches. I think it was only one location back then, and the employees were all angst-ridden Austin freaks who snarled at you when you ordered. The ice cream was well worth it though.

Braum's has a new flavor called "chocolate mojito" that as far as I know can only be purchased from the counter, not yet in half gallons. Holy God, it's delicious. Chocolatey, limey, minty goodness. I wouldn't turn up my nose at any Braum's ice cream though, to be honest.

Breyer's mint chocolate chip is also a favorite, as is Blue Bell Rocky Road. Anyone trying to watch the calories should try Edy's Slow-churned in either of those flavors. Low cal, low fat, and I swear I can't tell the difference.

Oh and Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia.

Wait, I forgot about Haagen Daz Double Dutch Chocolate-chocolate chip.

Kels
1/8/2008, 07:09 PM
The wife and I got hooked on gelato in Vienna. There was a place near Zwickau that was amazing too. Anyway, that's my favorite.

Mjcpr
1/8/2008, 07:13 PM
My traitor UT grad brother introduced me to Amy's about 15 years ago. It is indeed the bomb-diggety. Coffee flavor with big ol' dark chocolate chunks crushed in. Mmmm Mmmm, bitches. I think it was only one location back then, and the employees were all angst-ridden Austin freaks who snarled at you when you ordered. The ice cream was well worth it though.

Braum's has a new flavor called "chocolate mojito" that as far as I know can only be purchased from the counter, not yet in half gallons. Holy God, it's delicious. Chocolatey, limey, minty goodness. I wouldn't turn up my nose at any Braum's ice cream though, to be honest.

Breyer's mint chocolate chip is also a favorite, as is Blue Bell Rocky Road. Anyone trying to watch the calories should try Edy's Slow-churned in either of those flavors. Low cal, low fat, and I swear I can't tell the difference.

Oh and Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia.

Wait, I forgot about Haagen Daz Double Dutch Chocolate-chocolate chip.

Breyer's low fat line is really good too.

Mjcpr
1/8/2008, 07:14 PM
The wife and I got hooked on gelato in Vienna.
Is that the stuff that the sausages are packed in? No thanks!

M
1/8/2008, 07:36 PM

Ohhh chocolate mojito is a dream come true. Maybe I will go to Brizzaums tonight. :)

C&CDean
1/8/2008, 09:06 PM
Only left-wing pinko bastards eat Ben and Jerry's.

Only a fruitcake would eat red velvet ice cream.

Ghiaradelli's Rocky Road is killer, and homemade is the best, but for storebought, it's Braum's. End of discussion.

bluedogok
1/8/2008, 10:16 PM
They have started expanding again after a few buyouts over the years.

They aren't all that "angst ridden" ridden anymore, most are just tattooed and pierced and seem to have fun doing it. We usually go to the Westgate location, they have opened up quite a few all over town in the past couple of years so now they have 10 in Austin, 2 in Houston and 1 in San Antonio.

SoonerObsession
1/8/2008, 10:31 PM
Maggie Moo's "Better Batter" with cookie dough chips will make you yell "who's yo daddy" and ask for a towel. Good stuff!

soonerbrat
1/9/2008, 07:59 AM

there are 2 locations in Edmond

Viking Kitten
1/9/2008, 09:34 AM
They aren't all that "angst ridden" ridden anymore, most are just tattooed and pierced and seem to have fun doing it. We usually go to the Westgate location, they have opened up quite a few all over town in the past couple of years so now they have 10 in Austin, 2 in Houston and 1 in San Antonio.

I think snarling was the in thing to do back in '92, as I have otherwise generally found Austin to be a friendly place.

The other thing I liked about Amy's was that the decor was very unique and creative and featured local artists. Is that still the case or has it gone all chainy?

Viking Kitten
1/9/2008, 09:38 AM
there are 2 locations in Edmond

The one at Danforth and Santa Fe closed. It's a damn Starbucks now.

Tailwind
1/9/2008, 10:05 AM
Oh great, now I need ice cream.

soonerbrat
1/9/2008, 12:30 PM
The one at Danforth and Santa Fe closed. It's a damn Starbucks now.

ok nevermind. there's ONE location in edmond ;)

it's at 15th & bryant maybe? in that new shopping center.

Kels
1/9/2008, 06:11 PM
Is that the stuff that the sausages are packed in? No thanks!

:eek:

bluedogok
1/9/2008, 09:27 PM
I think snarling was the in thing to do back in '92, as I have otherwise generally found Austin to be a friendly place.

The other thing I liked about Amy's was that the decor was very unique and creative and featured local artists. Is that still the case or has it gone all chainy?
Yeah, that was the Pearl Jam era....

Some the newer ones aren't as funky yet as the one by the campus, but then they are still funky compared to most other places.

Fraggle145
1/10/2008, 02:10 AM
Personally I'm a Baskin Robbins guy, but I had a brand in Georgia called Mayfield (I think it is based in Tennessee) and it is pretty damn delicious.

http://www.mayfielddairy.com/products/

SteelClip49
1/10/2008, 02:11 AM
Braums and Blue Bell.....where they make it sound like it is homemade yet it's not. Now, if you like artificial flavors, additives and preservatives then go for it. Braums is good for one thing and that is their milk. Blue Bell is Blue Hell.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2008, 09:34 AM
Uhh, Franken - That's Swensen's Ice Cream! I should know, same name, not related - unfortunately. I see more Swensen's now in Asia than I do in the U.S.

frankensooner
1/10/2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I noticed the typo after I posted it. I was suffering from a carpel tunnel flareup from typing all those names. It wouldn't let me edit it once posted. Thanks for your comments though!

RiddlerOK
1/10/2008, 12:05 PM
Do any of you older folks like me remember how good Howard Johnson's ice cream used to be before they closed down most or all of their restaurants?

soonerbrat
1/10/2008, 12:24 PM
nope, i think you're making that up.

Viking Kitten
1/11/2008, 03:47 PM
Update. I made Czar and the kids try the Braum's Chocolate Mojito. Czar agrees with my assessment that it is obscenely delicious. Both the little Soonerovs concur as well.

Seriously people. Run, don't walk, to your nearest Braum's and order a cone of this. YWIA.

IB4OU2
1/11/2008, 04:00 PM
Update. I made Czar and the kids try the Braum's Chocolate Mojito. Czar agrees with my assessment that it is obscenely delicious. Both the little Soonerovs concur as well.

Seriously people. Run, don't walk, to your nearest Braum's and order a cone of this. YWIA.

I'm running, you just can't tell.

soonerbrat
1/11/2008, 04:49 PM
Chocolate Mojito?

does it have lime and rum in it?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/11/2008, 05:40 PM
Chocolate Mojito. . .that sounds very delish.

C&CDean
1/15/2008, 11:06 AM
At a luncheon in Baltimore last week they served "Peachy Paterno" from the Penn State Creamery. One of the meeting organizers is a huge PSU fan, and she said that the only place you can get Penn State ice cream is there, or online. I ate a small bowl. It was OK, but it couldn't touch Braum's. The damned peaches were frozen...

frankensooner
1/15/2008, 11:17 AM
When I was a little sprout, my mom and pop would make the homemade peach ice cream in the summer time. I had to sit on top of the machine while the grown ups took turns with the hand crank. That was the bestest ice cream I ever ate.

jr4ou
1/15/2008, 01:47 PM
When I was a little sprout, my mom and pop would make the homemade peach ice cream in the summer time. I had to sit on top of the machine while the grown ups took turns with the hand crank. That was the bestest ice cream I ever ate.
the best ever ? :D