PDA

View Full Version : Barry Switzer vs Tom Osborne

Collier11
1/7/2008, 01:46 PM
Ive asked this question before but dont know that it ever got answered, why is it that Switzer gets crucified in the media and by fans outside of most OU fans while Tom Osborne is looked at like a Saint. Osborne had plenty of his own problems and questionable players, Switzer did his share of trouble making but the guy does alot for his community and Charities, is there any particular reason or something I am missing about the two?

OKLA21FAN
1/7/2008, 01:49 PM
SI bias

which later morphed into ESPN bias

soonerinabilene
1/7/2008, 02:44 PM
Switzer>Osbourne, therefore under greater scrutiny.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2008, 02:52 PM
I'm sure it's partly due to the way Switzer left OU vs. Osborne leaving on a high.

OKLA21FAN
1/7/2008, 03:45 PM
I'm sure it's partly due to the way Switzer left OU vs. Osborne leaving on a high.

i guess it is a good thing NU nevar employed David Swank :pop:

soonerspudman
1/7/2008, 04:46 PM
IMHO Switzer didn't tow the NCAA line on the nature of college football. He talked very openly about the unfairness of Universities, Coaches, and TV Exectives making millions on college football built on the backs of poor black kids who's families lived in shanties. Coupled with some pretty blatent abuses (he was far from the only one), the establishment saw Switzer as some redneck renegade who wanted to disrupt the power structure, totally taboo. They saw it as in the best interest of college football to drub him. In doing so, they could make Switzer in some ways serve as the "reconciliation" whereby the establishment could point to as having kept college football clean. Net, he was an easy and convenient coach to make into an example.

sshusker
1/7/2008, 06:05 PM
While both coaches had their share of problems on their teams it seems Barry was raked over the coals way more that Tom. It has to be their personalities. Barry said pretty much what was on his mind (he still does). He really didn't care who liked it or who he would tick off. Tom is pretty quiet and reserve (really kind of boring). I personally like them both.

The Maestro
1/7/2008, 06:10 PM
Both had some shady players. Both had some great players who are good people.

Their own personal lives? There is your difference. Barry is a nice, generous man, but he loved the ladies, no doubt.

Collier11
1/7/2008, 06:12 PM

Their own personal lives? There is your difference. Barry is a nice, generous man, but he loved the ladies, no doubt.

and the booze!

PLaw
1/7/2008, 06:24 PM
and the booze!

Seems early in his career, Barry was a little naive and would invite media over to his place after games for a little celebration. After he got burned, they say he pulled back.

Barry Switzer is greatness, period. What you see, is what you get - warts and all.

The thing that always got my goat is the nebbish usually got a free pass even though the pay for performance envelopes and steriod use were well documented.

Long Live King Barry.

BOOMER

tulsaoilerfan
1/8/2008, 12:43 AM

That's better than lovin' the men:eek:

Crucifax Autumn
1/8/2008, 01:08 AM
It's simple: Osborne didn't write Bootlegger's Boy and totally call the NCAA on their hypocrisy while also owning up to all the things he did wrong.

So, Switzer is crucified for being honest while Osborne is worshipped for hiding from the truth. Welcome to modern American society.

LSUdeek
1/8/2008, 01:15 AM
Switzer = Dale Brown plus championships.

Crucifax Autumn
1/8/2008, 01:35 AM
Switzer = The KING!!! There has never, and never will be a better recruiter or more straight-shooting coach.

pott_2
1/8/2008, 02:53 AM
Switzer = Bad mother f*****. It is probably on his wallet or belt.

Osboard= politician

Civicus_Sooner
1/8/2008, 01:47 PM
When OU sued the NCAA for TV negotiating rights. It was curtains for us.

stoopified
1/8/2008, 01:57 PM
Barry is Barry and he is VERY candid about himself and what he thinks whether it is about other coaches,the NCAA or whatever.I think St.Tom was born a politician.

I personally lost much respect for the man when I heard him on tape asking a sexual assault victim not to press charges against one of his players.I saw this on one of the TV News shows(20/20 ,48 Hours,one of those type I don't recall which one).

IGotNoTiming
1/8/2008, 05:22 PM
I agrees that the way the programs were left after each coach's tenure may have alot to do with public impression....

Barry was outspoken, controversial, irreverent, and charismatic. His leadership inspired a rabid legion of fandom that would follow him anywhere.
When the program under him collapsed- it gave his detractors ammo to fire at will upon his character. Fair or unfair it happened. Did Barry deserve the criticism? Probably to a certain degree... after all ultimately the program was his resposibility.

Both had their ups and down but their legacy of winnning will forever remain...

85sooners
1/8/2008, 05:25 PM
switzer ;)

Civicus_Sooner
1/8/2008, 05:42 PM
I agrees that the way the programs were left after each coach's tenure may have alot to do with public impression....

Barry was outspoken, controversial, irreverent, and charismatic. His leadership inspired a rabid legion of fandom that would follow him anywhere.
When the program under him collapsed- it gave his detractors ammo to fire at will upon his character. Fair or unfair it happened. Did Barry deserve the criticism? Probably to a certain degree... after all ultimately the program was his resposibility.

Both had their ups and down but their legacy of winnning will forever remain...
I think some of Barry's bravado came from the fact that he was really the first major college coach to bring in so many black athletes, especially at the skill positions. In other words, he was a reflection of them and I respect him more for that than almost anything.

Collier11
1/8/2008, 05:45 PM
I think some of Barry's bravado came from the fact that he was really the first major college coach to bring in so many black athletes, especially at the skill positions. In other words, he was a reflection of them and I respect him more for that than almost anything.

what if those players went to black only churches? ;) :D

Civicus_Sooner
1/8/2008, 05:54 PM
what if those players went to black only churches? ;) :D
We'd have been like Texass and their all white school.:D