PDA

View Full Version : I think the Sr, I'll miss the most is AP

usmc-sooner
1/6/2008, 07:21 PM
The man was a physically gifted athlete. But it's his attitude I'll miss, the man played hard, didn't tip toe through a hole. He played with heart. He let his talent do his talking.

After the loss of his daughter, he had a very good season and gave OU and us the fans 100%.

There were times during the Fiesta Bowl, I thought he was the only one playing hard and with heart.

I hope he sticks in the NFL and makes millions.

KingDavid
1/6/2008, 07:37 PM
The man was a physically gifted athlete. But it's his attitude I'll miss, the man played hard, didn't tip toe through a hole. He played with heart. He let his talent do his talking.

After the loss of his daughter, he had a very good season and gave OU and us the fans 100%.

There were times during the Fiesta Bowl, I thought he was the only one playing hard and with heart.

I'll miss 'em all for different reasons. AP is at the top of the list, though, for those same reasons. Have to also put Gute way up there in terms of a team-first approach. And for that matter, Lewis Baker was really a team-first player, too, and perhaps more of a leader than he got credit for. I'm excited that he got to play so consistently this year.

Also glad that Marcus Walker fought through some injuries, even though he never materialized into what we thought he'd be.

Also glad to see Darien Williams close out a good career with a start, even if he did blow the tackle against the weeping mohawk.

Collier11
1/6/2008, 08:52 PM
I second AP

Desert Sapper
1/6/2008, 08:59 PM
Wish they could have been sent off in a better way. I'll miss them all. I really hope they can cash in on the big NFL $$$. Good luck to Gute in grad school.

snp
1/6/2008, 09:06 PM
I'll miss AP's special teams play. That guy was a wrecking crew and will help him last in the NFL.

Salt City Sooner
1/6/2008, 09:12 PM
I'll miss AP's special teams play. That guy was a wrecking crew and will help him last in the NFL.
That's one of the reasons I'll always wonder "what if" with him. I happened to be at the game that he broke his leg at when he was at ICC & still playing safety, & unless someone else comes along, I'll go to my grave saying that he was the closest thing to TRRW that I've seen since #38 roamed the D backfield in Norman. I'm glad it worked out for him though, even if it was in a much different way than I thought it would that night.

Indy Sooner
1/6/2008, 09:38 PM

Great post. Spot on.

aero
1/6/2008, 09:38 PM
If everybody played as hard as AP we may not have lost this year. He had a few so-so games but always gave everything he had which was usually quite a bit. Big contributor to our program.

Ever
1/6/2008, 10:11 PM
I'll miss Gute the most, but AP is at the top.

zeke
1/6/2008, 10:27 PM

+1

Curly Bill
1/7/2008, 12:46 AM
I'll give another nod to AP...

...but what about Hartley? Besides some early season difficulties when he was hurt cause of having to make most of the tackles on his kickoffs, he was a very solid kicker, both FG's and kickoffs. Hope Stevens or Way can be as good.

Desert Sapper
1/7/2008, 09:28 AM
The reasons I will miss these seniors:

1. AP - It's been hit enough in this thread, but he was a great, hard-working Sooner who (despite some fumblitis here and there) did some brilliant things for us. His play in the OSWho game was amazing. I hope he does well for himself in the league of $$.

2. Gute - Possibly the most giving and selfless Sooner ever. Having him in the family has positively benefited a LOT of people. In addition, he was a pretty good ball player, too. His game against Baylor as a Sophomore was brilliance, and he was a special teams stud. He will be missed, and I hope he enjoys his time in South America working on his Master's.

3. Hartley - His redshirt got pulled too soon, but he did some great things for us. His lone 'miss' last year may have 'cost us' the duck game, but he was consistent and hit some important kicks. His leg was tremendous, and will be hard to replace.

4. Lew Baker - Had some great moments and changed positions as much as anybody in Sooner history. But he adjusted well, and he played even better, especially this year. Don Key award winner this year, and that speaks volumes. Great game against Mizzou in Norman. With all that was on his plate when he got here, he has really done well. I don't know if he'll make it to the league, but I wish him the best.

5. Joe Jon - Started as a lanky QB prospect, grew into a fine TE who may just play on Sundays if he can perform at the combine. He has all the tools - good hands, good size, strong, etc. Great games against OSWho and in the CCG. Good luck, JJ.

6. Hays McEachern - Best damned holder in the history of Sooner football. The guy came from the full on whorn lineage, but his stabilty as a Sooner was greatness.

7. Marcus Walker - Ahhhh what could have been. Marcus had his redshirt yanked early, suffered a variety of injuries and ailments, and managed to still make a great showing as a senior (despite that flub in this Fiesta, God bless ya). I hope he puts on a show at the combine and gets picked up by somebody.

8. DJ Wolfe - Nobody could figure out where you belonged, brotha - RB, CB, SS - but when we finally figured it out, you shined. Played great at RB in 2004 (when you saw the field). Played great at Corner in 2005. Got burned a bit in 2006. Great senior year as a SS (despite biting a bit too much in this Fiesta, God bless ya). I hope you can take it to the next level.

9. D Will - Had some great moments, had some bitter moments, had some missed assignments, had some great plays. Overall, a solid 2006, but injuries killed 2007. The physical tools are there. Hopefully you can impress some scouts.

10. Alonzo Dotson - Had some great plays as a Junior, really started coming on this year. Big game against Miamuh and a nice FF vs. Mizzou. It would have been great to have you for another year.

11. Steven Coleman - Made some big plays, despite playing in a DT rotation. Nice sack against Tulsey.

12. Demarrio Pleasant - Who can forget those big fumble recoveries as a junior or that great game against UCLA as a sophomore? He was a special teams stud, and a great contributor as a backup.

13. Sherrone Moore - A great contributor at guard.

14. Dane Zaslaw - I, for one, thought Dane would be the next Teddy Lehman. He ended up being a pretty good FB. That TD against Miami was great stuff.

15. Ian Pleasant - Special teams animal. Had some brilliant tackles whilst flying down the field.

16. John Williams - I only put you last, because I think you might get a med redshirt (in which case, we get to see you for another year). Great season until the injury this year. Hope you get another year.

So, yeah, I'll miss all of ya. I hope you guys are successful in everything you do. God bless.

Monster Zero
1/7/2008, 01:31 PM
I'll miss 'em all for different reasons. AP is at the top of the list, though, for those same reasons. Have to also put Gute way up there in terms of a team-first approach. And for that matter, Lewis Baker was really a team-first player, too, and perhaps more of a leader than he got credit for. I'm excited that he got to play so consistently this year.

Also glad that Marcus Walker fought through some injuries, even though he never materialized into what we thought he'd be.

Also glad to see Darien Williams close out a good career with a start, even if he did blow the tackle against the weeping mohawk.
We'll wish the best to all of them and know that they'll all be welcomed back as Sooners for life, 'specially AP. I hope he makes good wherever he goes.

Pigface1
1/7/2008, 01:34 PM

He and Lofton looked like the only ones for the most part that really wanted to win. Chaney had a big game too.

Boomer.....
1/7/2008, 02:10 PM
I'll miss JJ. He always was the one on the sidelines jumping up and down and getting the crowd loud.