PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. 2008 Fiesta Bowl

the_edge
1/5/2008, 06:22 PM
I'm ready to put the Fiesta Bowl to rest. It needs to join the GOWWDNS in the bowels of my subconscious, never to be heard from again with the exception of the announcers mentioning it in every damn game next year.

Now, it's recruiting season, and we just got a nice WR out of Georgia today.

And, I think more importantly, we've got a basketball team making strides that needs our support.

It's taken me three days to realize it, but no matter how ****ed I am over the team's performance in that game I've willed myself to forget about, it isn't going to make 2008 a better season.

Bob isn't reading my mind, and he isn't reading this board. We just have to hope that he's still gaining experience from his mistakes.

hink4769
1/5/2008, 06:29 PM
I sure hope the coaching staff doesn't forget about it. The bowl debacle over the past two years could actually be a good thing if we reach the NC game next year and the coaches change their bowl preparation strategy in light of whats happened.

dabien
1/5/2008, 06:39 PM
Anyways why can't I not start a new thread on this forum?
I have a general question about OU RB's next year.
We have two incoming top running backs, Justin Johnson and Jeremie Calhoun. Is Justin Johnson going to play LB? How are we gonna have a rotation with these two 5 star studs with demarco murray, chris brown, moses madu, guiterrez?

the_edge
1/5/2008, 07:05 PM
We have two incoming top running backs, Justin Johnson and Jeremie Calhoun. Is Justin Johnson going to play LB? How are we gonna have a rotation with these two 5 star studs with demarco murray, chris brown, moses madu, guiterrez?

My understanding is that Justin Johnson has been recruited as a linebacker.

I'm hoping that Calhoun can be redshirted.

hink4769
1/5/2008, 07:17 PM

I believe you need 100 posts to do that.

bob
1/5/2008, 08:14 PM
If Bob Stoops is to believed, he said there would be changes made so that this would not happen again. He also says all the time that each year is a new team and they don't carry over the bad habits from the prior years. Then this run of bad performances in the BCS games must be a product of the coaching staff. I hope in his review of this debacle he holds Coach Venagles and Coach Wright accountable for the defense's bad play. With so much talent on that side of the ball (all big XII selections) how could they have laid an egg so bad. It is possible that something in Bob's approach is the problem, in which case we have bigger problems than we thougth, that is if we want to win the BCS games after we get there.

aero
1/5/2008, 08:20 PM
Personally, I have no trouble whatsoever talking about it or, living around the Austin area, getting hammered from all of the horn fans. So what. We lost. We're going to lose games. And WVU is not a bad team. Far from it. I think we are better but we didn't perform so they've got bragging rights. Good for them. I want us to play the best teams, win or lose. We're OU. We've got plenty to brag about and we've won more than our share of games and big games. Show me a team who hasn't lost games they should have won. USC lost to Stanford and I think Stanford had a backup qb. Michigan? Thank goodness for Michigan. Think Ar-Kansas is better than LSU? There are a bunch more from this year alone. All OU losses pain me but if we're going to play for championships year in and year out we're going to lose games and games we shouldn't. But we're also going to win. Yes, there have been some disappointments the last few years but I still think we are in a very good position to make a title run for the next few years. The sky is not falling.

85sooners
1/5/2008, 09:00 PM
booooooooooomer!!!!!!!!

tulsaoilerfan
1/5/2008, 09:05 PM
I'm sure those 2 will redshirt, and Gute is gone; Murray and Madu will be sophs, and Brown a junior; i don't see either of those guys playing unless we have some injury problems

bob
1/6/2008, 12:12 AM
One will probably move to linebacker, but if they are as good as advertised, they may work their way into the rotation even as a true freshman. Madu is unproven and Brown is very good but not great. I wouldn't automatically expect them to red shirt.

texas bandman
1/6/2008, 12:28 AM
I'm still worried about Murray's injury. I hope it doesn't affect him next year.

bri
1/6/2008, 12:29 AM
I'm ready to put the Fiesta Bowl to rest. It needs to join the GOWWDNS in the bowels of my subconscious, never to be heard from again with the exception of the announcers mentioning it in every damn game next year.

Yeah, 'cause everyone putting their hands over their ears and going "NYAH, NYAH, NYAH, IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!" has been working so f*cking well so far. Maybe if you people would, I don't know, grow up and learn to accept that you don't win all the time and that adversity is a part of life and that everyone has to learn to deal with it, this place wouldn't go up in flames every time another team has the audacity to kick our *sses up one side and down the other.

Gah.

Soonerus
1/6/2008, 12:31 AM
Yeah, 'cause everyone putting their hands over their ears and going "NYAH, NYAH, NYAH, IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!" has been working so f*cking well so far. Maybe if you people would, I don't know, grow up and learn to accept that you don't win all the time and that adversity is a part of life and that everyone has to learn to deal with it, this place wouldn't go up in flames every time another team has the audacity to kick our *sses up one side and down the other.

Gah.

Geez, I agree with BRI for once....worries me...

the_edge
1/6/2008, 05:41 AM

Gah.

I'm not the one burning down Stoop's house. Perhaps you have the wrong thread?

PLaw
1/6/2008, 07:17 PM
Yep, it's time to move on. At the end of the day, we have a coach and team that we can all be proud of.

Now, on to recruiting season.

BOOMER

snp
1/6/2008, 09:02 PM
My understanding is that Justin Johnson has been recruited as a linebacker.

I'm hoping that Calhoun can be redshirted.

Justin Johnson was recruited as a RB and will start out at RB when he arrives...next week. With the surgeries to Brown and Murray, they're going to be out of spring ball and JJ will be the second of two scholarship RBs on campus. He'll be more than ready than Calhoun but Calhoun may be the more talented runner.

I love getting RBs early playing time for many reasons. It's an easier transition than most other positions. Keeps them happy so they don't transfer (Tennial and Choice) It also looks great to future prospects when coaching staffs aren't afraid to play their young studs.

cvsooner
1/6/2008, 09:10 PM
Surgery to Brown? When did this happen?

snp
1/6/2008, 11:02 PM
Not yet but he's expected to have some minor knee surgery to clean things up.