PDA

View Full Version : Granger will stay

zeke
1/5/2008, 01:33 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3189179/1199516685

I think its a good move. Others think he should get the boot.

People can and do change. Time will tell.

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 01:47 PM
Let's hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

OK2LA
1/5/2008, 01:52 PM
I hope he gets himself straight. It really begs the question - How long has he been doing this? I understand that many call it a "disease" - I'm not sure about that part of it, but - as was stated in the other thread - what is going through his mind when he is doing that . . . before the biggest game of his career. Was he just not thinking, or is it that he's been doing it so long - it's just habit?

We've all got some work to do this offseason - some more than others. I hope he returns. Most everyone deserves a second chance - just wondering if he's had one already, and we just haven't heard about it as of yet.

yermom
1/5/2008, 01:54 PM
let's hope he has a coat before the next bowl game ;)

seriously though, i guess it's not like he was stealing a car or a TV. maybe if they weren't forced to live on a penance (see Mike Reed) we wouldn't have guys stealing coats and gas

i'm not really defending him, but it could have been worse. i'm not sure if the timing could have been though

you'd think someone would know better by the time they were 20ish though.

soonerhubs
1/5/2008, 02:13 PM
I'm glad he's staying. If he keeps his head straight, he's a major asset to that D'line.

bluedogok
1/5/2008, 07:58 PM
Listening to Doug Gottlieb on the way home from work yesterday he was saying that some reports had Granger was sent back to Norman on a Greyhound Bus. He thought that was great and a very fitting punishment if true. He said could you imagine how long that trip would be for a 300 pounder? You would definitely have time to think about what you did.

Soonerus
1/5/2008, 08:00 PM
He is a kid, unless he has a history of these or other types of transgressions, he deserves another chance....Dusty and others have gotten 2nd chances...

yermom
1/5/2008, 08:19 PM
Listening to Doug Gottlieb on the way home from work yesterday he was saying that some reports had Granger was sent back to Norman on a Greyhound Bus. He thought that was great and a very fitting punishment if true. He said could you imagine how long that trip would be for a 300 pounder? You would definitely have time to think about what you did.

i wonder what he thinks a fitting punishment for stealing credit cards is ;)

bluedogok
1/5/2008, 08:30 PM
i wonder what he thinks a fitting punishment for stealing credit cards is ;)
He didn't say it should be the only punishment, just that it was a fitting way to be sent home.

devOUt
1/5/2008, 08:45 PM
Too bad we don't have Port Robertson to "work" with him.

85sooners
1/5/2008, 08:57 PM
:hot:

tulsaoilerfan
1/5/2008, 09:06 PM
Stoops is doing the right thing IMO

Bruiser53
1/5/2008, 09:13 PM
I don't think I would want to be Demarcus Granger when the rest of the team gets back to Norman. I'm sure Stoops is going to have a extra punishment conditioning in the plans

ole-reb
1/5/2008, 09:13 PM
Lets see,
Runnig a red light is against the law.
Throwing paper out a car window, thats lottering, against the law.
So how many perfect people is out there?
That has never broken the law. Not condoning stealing either.
Just believe in a second chance.

KingDavid
1/5/2008, 11:56 PM
Whatever the discipline that the teams sees needs to make a statement in their minds. We don't want it to become the norm that you steal and it's not going to get you off the team. Which, some might argue, it's become given the Broyles escapade.

Somebody mentioned the idea of a disease with theft. It just depends on the patterns and motivation. I'm familiar with this at a few levels. If it is the "Ocean's 11" variety of thrill seeking, then it definitely can get out of hand. If it's the "I'm cold and a I need a coat but don't have any money" variety then this should be enough to scare him into learning how to ask someone on the team for a loan.

If it is the disease thrill-seeking variety, the only sure-fire cure I know is for a person to make a list of all the places he's ripped off and go to them, one by one, and set up a payment plan. That usually kills the desire to steal because you know, if you've established that pattern, that you're just going to end up paying for it anyway. I've seen it work in the past. Probably not bullet-proof. People have to decide to make good choices. Let's fly Dusty in to have a word with the boy.

insuranceman_22
1/6/2008, 12:26 AM
He is a kid, unless he has a history of these or other types of transgressions, he deserves another chance....Dusty and others have gotten 2nd chances...

Agreed.

budbarrybob
1/6/2008, 09:55 AM
No doubt, unless this is a pattern I say keep the kid. Its laughable that some would call for his dismissal. Its embarrassing especially since it is on a national stage but lets not over-react. He didn't shoot his roomate. Many worse transgressions were committed by a sooner.

MichiganSooner
1/6/2008, 10:56 AM
He should be punished by the courts according to the laws of Arizona. Bob did the right thing by sending him home. He let down his teammates and they know it.

SOONER STEAKER
1/6/2008, 11:13 AM
Granger will be OK. I just hope a lesson has been learned. The only thing he should steal is the ball from a ball-carrier.

I learned last night that Granger had to take the bus back home. Any truth to this rumor?

BOOMER

KingDavid
1/6/2008, 02:01 PM
Granger will be OK. I just hope a lesson has been learned. The only thing he should steal is the ball from a ball-carrier.

I learned last night that Granger had to take the bus back home. Any truth to this rumor?

BOOMER

Gosh, we must be getting soft if we gave him the Greyhound treatment. I'm surprised they didn't put him on a tricycle. :D

crimsonclass
1/18/2008, 05:58 PM
Granger warrant set aside, pre-trial hearing set

By Jake Trotter
Staff Writer

A warrant out for Oklahoma sophomore defensive tackle DeMarcus Granger was quashed Friday by a Tempe Municipal Court judge after Granger's attorney filed the motion by fax, according to acting deputy Jeanette Wiesenhofer of the Tempe (Ariz.) Municipal Court criminal division.

A pre-trial hearing has been scheduled for March 3 when Granger or his attorney, Jess Lorona of Phoenix, will meet with a Tempe prosecutor or plea to the court.

A warrant in the amount of $1,000 was issued for Granger last week after he failed to appear for his scheduled arraignment in Tempe.

Before the Fiesta Bowl, Granger was arrested at a Burlington Coat Factory inside Arizona Mills Mall on Dec. 29, accused of shoplifting.

Sooner coach Bob Stoops suspended Granger and sent him home, however, has said he expects Granger to remain with the team.

Granger earned second-team All-Big 12 honors this season after collecting 35 tackles, 3 1/2 sacks and a team-best eight quarterback hurries.

http://newsok.com/article/3194479/1200696133

olevetonahill
1/18/2008, 09:26 PM
Great
Now " Let he who is with out SIN cast the first stone "
the rest of Ya STFU

yermom
1/18/2008, 09:28 PM
hopefully that's all he needed to realized how dumb he was

oldman2
1/18/2008, 09:28 PM
I'am not for kicking him off the team. Just don't let him every be a starter.
A player yes but not a starter.

Funky G
1/18/2008, 10:08 PM
This whole episode is an example of how the media needs "stories". Anybody with any wits knew that warrant was typical adminstrative process and that it would be quashed and rescheduled. To even debate whether the kid should be kicked off the team is pretty ridiculous. Drugs, violence, and larger scale crimes demand severe punishment. This one deserves probation on a high profile scale, but a second chance is O.K.

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 10:09 PM
This whole episode is an example of how the media needs "stories". Anybody with any wits knew that warrant was typical adminstrative process and that it would be quashed and rescheduled. To even debate whether the kid should be kicked off the team is pretty ridiculous. Drugs, violence, and larger scale crimes demand severe punishment. This one deserves probation on a high profile scale, but a second chance is O.K.

agree....

Collier11
1/18/2008, 10:51 PM
if you think he should be kicked off the team you are a hipocrite!

olevetonahill
1/18/2008, 11:59 PM
if you think he should be kicked off the team you are a hipocrite!
Aint that what I said ??????
:P

Ardmore_Sooner
1/19/2008, 12:28 AM
Guys, I'm not going to give out any sources or names but I heard a little story on Granger after all this mess happened. From what I was told the person who talked to him said that he told them he didn't know what got into him and that they have never seen a grown man cry like that.
I think EVERYONE deserves a second chance, even the people that we totally rip apart on these boards such as Chris Collins. The world is just to tough to be just destroy people after one mistake. Some circumstances are different and the punishment is different, but sometimes people do things they regret.
For those that thing Granger should be booted, they need to search themselves and think of something that they regret doing and what would have happened if everyone had turned them the cold shoulder.
Whether Sooner, Cowboy, Longhorn, etc, we all deserve second chances.

Crucifax Autumn
1/19/2008, 01:11 AM
I'm all for giving him a second chance on this non-violent misdemeanor. But if he screws up again, then I say give him the boot.

Seamus
1/19/2008, 01:30 AM
Guys, I'm not going to give out any sources or names but I heard a little story on Granger after all this mess happened. From what I was told the person who talked to him said that he told them ...

Passed out. Guy who knows a kid. Ferris. 31 Flavors. Sister's boyfriend's cousin. Etc. ;)

The world is just to tough to be just destroy people after one mistake. Some circumstances are different and the punishment is different, but sometimes people do things they regret.

Fully agree. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif to you.

Crucifax Autumn
1/19/2008, 01:33 AM
As I said, I'm all for giving him a second chance but it also ****es me off that from my first mistake to the last one I made I've been crucified for almost every one! lol

Collier11
1/19/2008, 02:02 AM
Aint that what I said ??????
:P

I didnt read all of the responses to this thread, am I a plagerizer now?

Crucifax Autumn
1/19/2008, 04:33 AM
Yep, hand in your degree at the door!

1/19/2008, 06:41 AM
I'm glad he'll be back. He is a KICK-AZZ DL!

My selfish simplicity is largely celebrated.

Seamus
1/19/2008, 01:07 PM
As I said, I'm all for giving him a second chance but it also ****es me off that from my first mistake to the last one I made I've been crucified for almost every one! lol

Well, when you develop some better Photoshop skills and make better pictures of Schooner decapitations, you'll stop getting crucified :P ;) :P ;) :P ;) :D

Seriously, those pics are teh rool. :pop:

olevetonahill
1/19/2008, 01:54 PM
I didnt read all of the responses to this thread, am I a plagerizer now?

I just used More words .:D

Desert Sapper
1/19/2008, 02:12 PM
I'm glad that Stoops is giving him a second chance. He gave DD a second chance (though not of his own choosing, I think), and Dusty really proved his mettle. I'm hoping Granger takes this second chance and makes the most of it. Personally, I think aggravated assault is more serious (given the violent nature), than shoplifting. But then, stealing in the manner he did certainly does speak against his character. At any rate, Granger is getting this second chance. He has the opportunity to earn the respect of his family, his coaches, his teammates, his fans (of which I still count myself), and NFL scouts. The way he rebounds will certainly be a reflection of his character, as well. Let's hope it is a positive reflection.

MojoRisen
1/19/2008, 02:20 PM
Granger stole a coat & got caught - this by no means says anything about his character - except that he was stupid and tempted.

Make that boy run till he pukes- but kicking him off the team or judging him with out knowing him is stupid.

insuranceman_22
1/19/2008, 02:33 PM
Granger stole a coat & got caught - this by no means says anything about his character - except that he was stupid and tempted.

Make that boy run till he pukes- but kicking him off the team or judging him with out knowing him is stupid.

with ya....

Desert Sapper
1/19/2008, 03:37 PM

Whether I know him or not, he deliberately removed the security tag from the coat and took it. The planning behind it is what speaks against his character. I'm just hoping that he takes this opportunity to clear the black mark against his name. Any more incidents, and he needs to go.

Think about it this way...what would you say about him if he were a whorn? Guarandamntee that nobody on this board would be lauding his great qualities.

I'm not being high and mighty here. I've done plenty wrong in my life. I'm just calling it like I see it. Deliberately circumventing security to shoplift a coat screams character issue. Giving him a second chance tells me that Stoops thinks he can fix it.

I sure hope so. I like to see Sooners succeed, and I think Granger can be one of the best DTs we've ever had at OU (which says quite a lot), and I think he could make a hell of a lot of money in the 2009 or 2010 draft. Assuming he doesn't have any further issues. Which he damn well better not.

JLEW1818
1/19/2008, 06:40 PM
He will take it out on the field.