PDA

View Full Version : My take and experience

SteelClip49
1/5/2008, 12:55 PM
I just got back and I am too lazy to find other threads to match this under if it is like others that needs to be combined but I will just say what I have to say about the bowl, season and overall experience in Arizona.

Arrived on January 1st, went to get a Double Double from In-N-Out and that was good.

My uncle, sister, father and I then checked into a base house on Luke AFB.

Spent all day doing stuff, buying stuff in Glendale and Phoenix and making signs for the game.

Then comes January 2nd.

Bought some more stuff, ate, messed around then it was off to University of Phoenix Stadium.

We get to the game, ran into some WVA fans who were extremely classy and invited us to a tailgate.

Get inside the stadium, buy some more stuff, get some roasted almonds and some churros.

We then go to our seats which were aisle seats on the 3 yard line in row one so they were awesome seats.

We shook hands and got pics of Franky Vally, Toby Keith, Governor Henry and Mark Grace.

Then came the oh so wretched game.

Next thing I know we are down 20-6 but there was still hope for the second half.

Brilliant idea it was to go for an onside kick to try and trick WVA but it only works IF YOU KICK IT AT LEAST 10 YARDS, sheesh. I think right there was the turning point of the game because OU was only down 20-15.

Everytime we scored, WVA would score right back. WVA didn't just score, they had a wide open field on at least 4 of their TDs and made our defense look as foolish as it did against USC in the Orange Bowl.

We left with with around 5 minutes to go when Bradford turned it over on downs.

I so wanted to blame the SEC officials becuase, hey they are the SEC, but OU just sucked, flat out sucked and WVA just simply owned and they are still scoring at this very instance.

I saw that WVA had over 100 yards in penalties when we got back to the AFB and turned on the TV and I was shocked considering that, the only way we could move the ball was to do something to attract a flag.

The game sucked, WVA owned, we flat out were embarrassed, the WVA fans are classy, a lot of us Sooners after the game went to a restaurant nearby and drank a little (not enough to get wasted or buzzed) but enough to relax and ease some tension.

We ran into some West Va fans at the restaurant and one fan said to us, where was the team that showed up and blew out Missouri TWICE. I said, inconsistency and Stoops is not a motivator anymore or whatever motivation there was that last beat #1 Missouri was non-existant.

My question was to the WVA fan was, "please tell me you didn't lose to Pittsburgh and that exact team showed up against OU and played like they were the natuional champions to be." His response was, "I know there are no excuses but the whole RichRod thing and lack of motivation when it was all there on the line, just win and get ready for the national championship game. The loss to Pitt has to be a worse feeling that OU losing to WVA but anytime you lose a bowl it's never a great feeling, losing a game at anytime for that matter."

All I know is, my OU bowl experience has been a nightmare if anything. I have been to 6 of the 9 bowls OU has been in under Stoops and 2 were wins (2002 Cotton, 2003 Rose). The losses were (1999 Independence, 2004 Sugar (NC Game), 2005 Orange (NC Game), 2008 Fiesta). All 4 OU was favored and they all turn disastrous.

Here is what I am trying to figure out....

4 consecutive BCS losses and you would think after the loss to Boise State there would be some freakin change and better insight. 2007 was indeed a one of surprise. Freshman QB and a lot of young talent resulted in a fast start against an average OOC schedule then the choke loss after a 24-7 lead to Colorado. That was the team that showed up against WVA, only difference was we never led against the Mountaineers. I know Texas wasn't all that up til the point we beat them but it was a win and it was over a ranked opponent. The win over #11 Missouri didn't seem real, becsuse it was just Missouri but it was huge and the team was inspired again. The loss to TTU sucked but no qb due to a slight concussion will kill the mood even though OU had a late run with Halzle to attempt a comeback. The late comeback was even inspiring with a backup qb and that team played with more heart than the one did against WVA.

The most thrilling part of the season was a win on a neutral field in the Big 12 Championship Game over then #1 Missouri. All Missouri had to do (like WVA against Pitt) was to win and they are in the national championship game. OU was on the outside looking in for the NC game but a win over #1 Mizzou would still end a spectacular run with a 5th Big 12 Championship. It happened. That team was inspired and ready to make a statement and the 38-17 win was "magical." Sooner Magic was there and we were ready for the national championship on that day after the game. We had a slim shot at New Orleans but still, we were ready for whoever was next. But damn, as we all know, BCS Conference Champions ant BCS at-larges must wait a month or so before the next game and for many, a month is an off season and anything is possible.

The month break usually means final exams, rest, important practice days, short time spent with family over Christmas if given the luxury and DISCIPLINE.

Granger, who shoplifted a coat in Phoenix hurt; academically ineligible Lendy Holmes hurt; Demarco Murray hurt; and for a 2nd consecutive bowl Malcolm Kelly being hurt...HURT.

No excuses though;. 4 players does not make a team even though they are intricate parts on the team.

Overall, I am more excited than disappointed because we will continue to have great talent and continue to compete for Big 12 Championships and, as always, be a contender for the national championship. I am more than ever proud to be a Sooner fan and will look forward to 3 more years of Bradford taking the snaps and with all the talent on the team surrounding him.

Anyways, congrats to West Virginia on an inspiring and much deserving win. No, it wasn't for the national championship but the team played well enough to be considered as a national championship team. West Virginia will only get better and Stewart obviously looks like a great hire. Good luck next year and hopefully you guys can avenge 1988 and 1993 and hopefully the win over Oklahoma is a start to something even greater under Stewart.

Us Sooners should continue to be happy and be grateful for everything that has happened under Stoops. You lose championships and you win championships. You win awards and you are finalists for awards. You win bowls and you lose bowls. Despite the 4 consecutive BCS losses, OU had the chance to win and was there for an attempt.

If Texas wants to poke fun at our bowl losses then let them but if they can do a better job then all they have to do is win the Big 12 or be good enough to be considered an at-large team and win the higher bowls. You lost Vince Young and all of a sudden you are back to pre-VY and the lack of championships. Oh, you also lost to Oklahoma so, welcome back. Poke fun all you want but at least Oklahoma does enough when it counts to play in games where the stakes are higher.

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2008, 01:07 PM
bold statements.

85sooners
1/5/2008, 01:16 PM
:pop:

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 01:23 PM
this thread sucks

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2008, 01:31 PM
pssst - even if the onside kick had gone 10 yards, the 'neers were all over it

critical_phil
1/5/2008, 01:58 PM
no they weren't

OUmillenium
1/5/2008, 01:58 PM
bold statements! lol sanantoniosooner, your posts kill me

AzianSooner
1/5/2008, 02:26 PM
i love your post OU Dept employee.

MextheBulldog
1/5/2008, 02:28 PM
pssst - even if the onside kick had gone 10 yards, the 'neers were all over it

Yeah, after I saw it again, their "middle guy" was on it quickly.

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2008, 02:30 PM
I got more distance on the cat I kicked after the play.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2008, 02:41 PM
First time I ve seen a kicker walk side by side with the football after he kicked it

SteelClip49
1/5/2008, 03:25 PM
if I was able to spek I would give you some green SAS; I chuckled.

Breadburner
1/5/2008, 03:59 PM
I got more distance on the cat I kicked after the play.

Top Shelf......heh...