PDA

View Full Version : I need coaching tips. PLEASE HELP!!!

AZSOONER
1/5/2008, 12:03 PM
I have 2 boys who are at that age that they want to play football. I'm a happy dad, come to find out the league needs coaches. I wanted to coach eventually, but wanted to wait and see what to expect at the pee wee level. Is there anyone out there that has gone thru this before? If so, what did you do to help? What are good books to read, practices drills, supplies etc. I have a month to prepare and want to appear confident when I meet the parents of my new team. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 12:18 PM
You came to the right place....this board is full of Vince Lombardi's ;) Just keep it very simple with youngsters, you just want to make sure they have a good time.

http://www.coachjerry.com/ques04.htm

Some nice tips there though

usmc-sooner
1/5/2008, 12:27 PM
I did it once and hated it, parents are going to let you down. It got down right silly.

Usually at the Pee Wee level kids can't block, and don't want to play O-line so that will be your biggest problem. You'll have to have a few trick plays a couple of easy passes and misdirection works if you're line is ok. Just run a basic defense.

Remember they are just kids and they aren't going to grasp the spread or West Coast offense, or the Zone blitz the cover three man and stuff like that.

I'd try to teach them to play hard be good sports and most important have fun.
But the parents will drive you nuts. None of them want to take the time to help but all will criticize you, tell you their kid should be QB, RB, how good they were when they play HS football at Gotebo. Good luck.

insuranceman_22
1/5/2008, 12:32 PM
AZSOONER -congrats on joining the coaching ranks! I've got two daughters, so football isn't an option. However we've played 2 yrs of Tball and 2 yrs of Softball, soccer & basketball and I coached nearly all of it. Now I am the Commish of the league....it'll snowball on you.

Seriously though, you're going to enjoy it. Don't take it as life & death. Make it fun for the kids and just work on fundamentals with them, the simply stuff. How to tackle, blocking....that sort of thing. Remember what will probably be the most important thing: your attitude. That's the attitude that the kids will have also. Obviously you'll want to win, but you want them to enjoy it. And lastly, you'll probably have one or two that are complete pains in the rear......you'll just have to deal with them.

Good luck!

1890MilesToNorman
1/5/2008, 12:38 PM
I have no experience at coaching but I did play pee-wee ball. I remember not having a clue what I was supposed to do on offence, they would call a play using numbers as to where we were going to run the ball but it never clicked.

I would make sure any system you use is easy and understood by the kids, I would have enjoyed it a lot more had I known what I was doing. Defense was easy, kill the guy with the ball.

usmc-sooner
1/5/2008, 12:42 PM
let me rephrase what I said. I really enjoyed working with kids, what I hated was the crazy parents. Most are alright but some can be a major pain. My league had rules about this stuff but it doesn't always stop it.

Doged
1/5/2008, 12:47 PM
Excellent link provided above. I wish that stuff had been around when I coached Pop Warner.

As to the parents, they can be obstinate but I had good success by putting them to work. You never have enough coaches, so to me any parent that was standing around was fair game to run a drill (buy plenty of whistles). If a parent was a complainer they got to run a drill directly related to their complaint. That took care of most all the complaining and second guessing, but didn't help a bit with the parents that just didn't care and wouldn't participate at all. For those we set up a buddy system so one of the other parents took over making sure the kids made it to practice and back home, washing uniforms, etc.

So I guess that's my input to the thread... use the words, "Hey, could I get you to help me out with this drill?" while waving a whistle at them. And yes, football moms can do a fine job calling grass drills, being yard/down markers during scrimmage or any of the other dozens of jobs that have to happen for the kids to have fun with it.

zeke
1/5/2008, 12:51 PM
Good Luck to you. You will probably have more problems with the parents than with the kids...my son is made for this position or that position or why isnt Jr getting to play as much as Johnny type stuff. You may feel like a baby sitter also. Parents drop them off and may or may not be back when the practice or game is over.

Again, Good Luck and have fun.

AZSOONER
1/5/2008, 12:58 PM
I've coached baseball and soccer, and the league had a day of training that I found very usefull for soccer. (I played football, basketball, and baseball growing up, never soccer.) And just cause I played football doesn't mean I can coach it, I think I have an idea, but like USMC said, I'm expecting a few parents to be jerks. At this level I'm wondering if I take turns letting all the kids play QB and RB etc. I'm planning on keeping it very simple, sweep right, sweep left, etc. but am trying to put together a full practice that will teach the kids and make it fun for them, hell, I figure the parents are paying a couple hundred buck for their kids to play football they might as well learn some things. I appreciate the comments and help.

usmc-sooner
1/5/2008, 01:02 PM
I've coached baseball and soccer, and the league had a day of training that I found very usefull for soccer. (I played football, basketball, and baseball growing up, never soccer.) And just cause I played football doesn't mean I can coach it, I think I have an idea, but like USMC said, I'm expecting a few parents to be jerks. At this level I'm wondering if I take turns letting all the kids play QB and RB etc. I'm planning on keeping it very simple, sweep right, sweep left, etc. but am trying to put together a full practice that will teach the kids and make it fun for them, hell, I figure the parents are paying a couple hundred buck for their kids to play football they might as well learn some things. I appreciate the comments and help.

I was going to give every kid a chance to run or throw the ball at least once but the league I had a max weight limit for the backfield. So I let every kid Kick the ball at least once. For some reason they all wanted to be the kicker. Good luck sounds like you've got a pretty good idea going in.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/5/2008, 01:26 PM
If I can take a bit of your time, let me tell you about my experience. Don't know if it will help or not, but there might be a nugget or two you can use.

Just completed my first year coaching 6th graders. Hopefully your league is looking to staff each team with 3 or 4 volunteer coaches. I would strongly recommend you volunteer for an assistant coach position your first time out. I did, but the guy that volunteered to be our team's head coach was a first timer too, and didn't realize the time commitment involved or that he would really have to do much of anything. He was dead wrong. Which ended up not mattering anyway because he became a no show for the most part. Then the other two Asst. coaches had job commitments and rarely could even make practices. So guess who got stuck doin' the whole shebang. (As if I didn't have commitments of my own, but I worked around 'em.)

So first I would say, don't volunteer unless you can absolutely set aside the time required. It will require some late evenings both at work and home. I probably put in anywhere between 12 and 15 hours a week. That's three practices and a game, plus all the communication and prep work that needed to be done on a weekly basis. And when you]re already working 50+ hours a week at your job.. well, you get the picture. Just remember, you're there for the kids, not the other way around.

But Gandalf is right, I hope your league's emphasis is on fun. Our community league is an in-house developmental league fielding 6 teams of 17-18 boys each. So the emphasis is on fun and fully equal playing time. It also was somewhat integrated with the High School, but I'll tell you more about that in a bit. Be aware that some communities field competitive travelling leagues. Having done it now, I'm pretty convinced our community is doing it the right way. 3-6 graders really are just finding their way as to whether they even like the sport. And there is a lot that you can pull out of them if they are given opportunities which they might not get in competitive leagues. So for yourself and your kids check into that first.

Daily communication is a big key to this. Make sure you are telling the kids what you are doing and why. Then tell the parents what you are doing and why. You will spend a lot of time on the phone and on e-mail. Regarding what you are telling them, be firm. Don't negotiate. I had two parents that were grooming their little Johnies for D1A scholarships. But I made sure I let them know where things stood first, before they could try and get their hooks in me. It worked out pretty well. I really didn't catch any grief, so that was good. Your league absolutely should support you in this. And most leagues have very strict rules about sportsmanship and interference anyway.

Regarding skills, I was fortunate. This is where the High School came in. Our HS coaching staff worked with our community to put together a comprehensive program for 3rd-8th. (BTW, our community's 7th and 8th are competitive traveling only. Effectively junior High, if you will, but not actually directly affiliated with our two middle schools, hence the HS involvement.) It included multiple drills for every position, basics on what you were supposed to be teaching, playbooks for each grade level. It really was a pretty slick deal. Plus, they put on two separate coaching clinics, and gave us free reign to contact them directly if we needed help or suggestions. Of course, this all has an ancillary benefit for them in that when the kids get to HS they're not having to spend a boatload of time teaching terminology, etc. For 3 or 4 of our practices they even brought in their H.S. studs to work the drills with the kids and do demos, etc. That really lit the kids up, they loved it. Hopefully your league has these kinds of tools and access for you. Because the job really becomes self-explanatory at that point. But if not, suggest it. And in that case where you might not have that kind of support from the local shool, don't hesitate to call around to the local high school coaches and assistants. You will be sure to find one eventually that would love to offer you tips and suggestions. And really, you will probably be with other guys that have done it before, and they were once in the same boat as you and will be more than willing to help. Even across teams. Luckily not all those guys think they are Vince Lombardi. Though I might be. ;)

BTW, it is very challenging, rewarding, and fun. Just wait til you get to experience that roller coaster on gameday. Same as watching our Sooners, but now you really truly have direct involvement. It'll blow your mind how much affection you develop for those kids.

If interested I'd be glad to PEEM or e-mail a link to our community's program website. All of our rules, drills, playbooks, etc. are online.

AZSOONER
1/5/2008, 02:01 PM
If I can take a bit of your time, let me tell you about my experience. Don't know if it will help or not, but there might be a nugget or two you can use.

Just completed my first year coaching 6th graders. Hopefully your league is looking to staff each team with 3 or 4 volunteer coaches. I would strongly recommend you volunteer for an assistant coach position your first time out. I did, but the guy that volunteered to be our team's head coach was a first timer too, and didn't realize the time commitment involved or that he would really have to do much of anything. He was dead wrong. Which ended up not mattering anyway because he became a no show for the most part. Then the other two Asst. coaches had job commitments and rarely could even make practices. So guess who got stuck doin' the whole shebang. (As if I didn't have commitments of my own, but I worked around 'em.)

So first I would say, don't volunteer unless you can absolutely set aside the time required. It will require some late evenings both at work and home. I probably put in anywhere between 12 and 15 hours a week. That's three practices and a game, plus all the communication and prep work that needed to be done on a weekly basis. And when you]re already working 50+ hours a week at your job.. well, you get the picture. Just remember, you're there for the kids, not the other way around.

But Gandalf is right, I hope your league's emphasis is on fun. Our community league is an in-house developmental league fielding 6 teams of 17-18 boys each. So the emphasis is on fun and fully equal playing time. It also was somewhat integrated with the High School, but I'll tell you more about that in a bit. Be aware that some communities field competitive travelling leagues. Having done it now, I'm pretty convinced our community is doing it the right way. 3-6 graders really are just finding their way as to whether they even like the sport. And there is a lot that you can pull out of them if they are given opportunities which they might not get in competitive leagues. So for yourself and your kids check into that first.

Daily communication is a big key to this. Make sure you are telling the kids what you are doing and why. Then tell the parents what you are doing and why. You will spend a lot of time on the phone and on e-mail. Regarding what you are telling them, be firm. Don't negotiate. I had two parents that were grooming their little Johnies for D1A scholarships. But I made sure I let them know where things stood first, before they could try and get their hooks in me. It worked out pretty well. I really didn't catch any grief, so that was good. Your league absolutely should support you in this. And most leagues have very strict rules about sportsmanship and interference anyway.

Regarding skills, I was fortunate. This is where the High School came in. Our HS coaching staff worked with our community to put together a comprehensive program for 3rd-8th. (BTW, our community's 7th and 8th are competitive traveling only. Effectively junior High, if you will, but not actually directly affiliated with our two middle schools, hence the HS involvement.) It included multiple drills for every position, basics on what you were supposed to be teaching, playbooks for each grade level. It really was a pretty slick deal. Plus, they put on two separate coaching clinics, and gave us free reign to contact them directly if we needed help or suggestions. Of course, this all has an ancillary benefit for them in that when the kids get to HS they're not having to spend a boatload of time teaching terminology, etc. For 3 or 4 of our practices they even brought in their H.S. studs to work the drills with the kids and do demos, etc. That really lit the kids up, they loved it. Hopefully your league has these kinds of tools and access for you. Because the job really becomes self-explanatory at that point. But if not, suggest it. And in that case where you might not have that kind of support from the local shool, don't hesitate to call around to the local high school coaches and assistants. You will be sure to find one eventually that would love to offer you tips and suggestions. And really, you will probably be with other guys that have done it before, and they were once in the same boat as you and will be more than willing to help. Even across teams. Luckily not all those guys think they are Vince Lombardi. Though I might be. ;)

BTW, it is very challenging, rewarding, and fun. Just wait til you get to experience that roller coaster on gameday. Same as watching our Sooners, but now you really truly have direct involvement. It'll blow your mind how much affection you develop for those kids.

If interested I'd be glad to PEEM or e-mail a link to our community's program website. All of our rules, drills, playbooks, etc. are online.
That would be great, my e-mail is [email protected]. I don't think I'll get the chance to be an asst. first, there are a couple teams with no coach and the rest have 1, this is AZ. doesn't sound like football here is the same as it is in the midwest. Luckily I do have a job where I can put the time into it, and I've even recruited a couple guys that work for me to help:).

OUmillenium
1/5/2008, 02:02 PM
Hypothetical situation where I need coaching tips...

I have a talented defense and we are facing a team with a running qb who struggles in the passing game. The opponent leans heavily on the run game.

Should I play a lot of zone or keep my linebackers and dbs 5-15 yards off the line of scrimmage?

Thanks ;>

zeke
1/5/2008, 02:08 PM

Sounds like you guys have got it going right. I've suggested something like this here but have yet to get anyone to listen. I'd be interested in looking at your community's program.

AZSOONER
1/5/2008, 02:46 PM
Should I have the kids always practice in pads, or should I have them in t-shirts and shorts for the first week?

PeoriaSooner
1/5/2008, 03:35 PM
AZ,
Hi. I've coached Pop Warner for the past 4 years over here in Peoria (Grand Association). The first year of a team is usually pretty rough, but our team has made the playoffs the past 3 years. My son will be at the Midget level next year in 8th grade. I have loads of materials / advice I can provide. Some may apply, some may not; you can use whatever fits your needs. I work over by Fashion Square so we can meet pretty easily. PM me and we can set something up.

PLaw
1/5/2008, 03:55 PM
AZSOONER - kudos for stepping up to the plate. My son played pee wee football in the 5th and 6th grade. One of my greatest regrets is not coaching although I tried to support the coaches any way I could.

Here are a couple of thoughts:
1) Find at least two good assistants - one to focus on the offense and the other on the defense. Preferrably these assistants will be positive and realize it's only grade school ball and they are not trying to relive their glory days. You'll also be able to get a lot of parents to help who may not have the time to coach full time, but be careful.

2) Keep it fun -

3) Keep the teaching on an age appropriate level. Teach blocking and tackling techniques; use a very simple, run oriented play book; work on conditioning and agility.

4) Communicate, communicate, and then communicate some more. Make sure the parents understand your goals and what you want to accomplish.

5) Evaluate the kids individually. As the HC, you will be able to play your son at any position to help him develop. It's the priviledge of coaching. That said, also don't deny other kids the opportunity to develop at the same position.

6) Did I say, have fun? Think about what the kids like about playing football on the school yard and build on that.

7) There are several good resources on the web through a Google search.

Good luck.

BOOMER

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2008, 04:20 PM
I coached pee wee this past season.

I have helped coach at an NAIA school. I have helped coach youth wrestling. I have volunteered at High school. Pee Wee football was way more tougher.

As long as you teach them technique, ie. how to get in a 3 point stance, how to tackle, how to block, etc. then you are on your way. Also, the most important thing is make it fun for you and the kids. That way the kids will Ywant to continue to play. et, at the same time, teach the kids discipline. Before you first practice, have a team meeting with all the parents. Explain to the parents what you are going to do and what you expect. Let them know that though you aim for them kids to have fun, you will also show discipline in your team. Take concerns in their school work as well. If a kid is not doing what he needs to do in school, and the parents let you know, run the kid a little more. But remember, first and foremost, they are kids just beginning the sport. It is a challenge, but a fun one at that.

Jello Biafra
1/5/2008, 05:23 PM
if you line is technically sound, (as sound as 6-7-8 year olds can be)the rest is cake......remember, the key to beating a speedy team is to run right at them :)

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 05:26 PM
Make them watch the Gridiron Gang, Friday Night Lights, Rudy, and Remember the Titans as a team but avoid Any Given Sunday like the plague

landbandit
1/5/2008, 06:06 PM
I've coached (HC) USSSA baseball and OK Kids baseball for 8 years, youth wrestling for 4 years (AC) and football for 4 years (2 as HC and 2 as OC). We play in a league that is out of Arkansas and has teams that go after it in the way a Jenks type team might go after it, mixed in with smaller 3A and 4A type schools... We play on the HS football field and no coaches on the field for 3rd and 4th (no kicking and punting)..... 5th and 6th is no coaches on the field and you punt and kick..... I just finished up with my first group as my son was a 6th grader. Two of our coaches were HS coaches that had kids on the team. We ran a spread with about 7 formations. Two power and 5 spread. Mine was the QB and the HC allowed him to audible from the line. Usually checks were to different holes, as in "check 25" or "check 24" if he saw a hole. We also had the hot route checks, uncovered receiver checks, and if we were in an under two minute hurry up, trying to come from behind, he basically called one of 5 plays out of a 4 receiver spread at the line. Our kicker was very good.... we found a mexican soccer player that was very smart and fast and made him a kicker / wr / rover in the backfield. We kicked off from the 40 and he usually hit around the 20......

I say all this because most of the posts I have read have been the "keep it simple" they are only kids, kinda stuff....... kids love a challange and as long as you don't rip them into shreds... if you can keep them built up and having fun, they will absolutley love doing the cool stuff and they can easily handle it. We had a short stop for a QB.. a heavy weight novice state champion in wrestling at TB (fastest kid on the team), one very good lineman and one very good LB / TE.... the rest were fillers and most were not that smart... Oh and when we ran the spread it was out of the shotgun..... One of our best formations was 2 split to one side and 1 to the other with a back on either side of the QB... out of this formation we ran a LOT of crosses, leads and follows and from that we sprang off to reverses and options and reads to play action...... our best pass route was a wheel...... it worked EVERY time... wide open.... the drag is open alot at that age too.....

My point is this.... if you are in a city league you will probably be under restrictions on the weight of your tailback, and you might be under restrictions on what formations you can run...... even at that, TRY to do cool stuff with them.... challange them.... make it fun... have them laughing...... if they do something hard and do it right they gain pride and from that they will start to believe in you and if they believe in you they will do anything for you and if you get to that point...... those kids will always play with 100% heart and courage..... they can take that with them whever we go......

btw, we went 10-4 and got beat in the semi's of our playoffs for the 18 team league finishing 3rd...... two teams had indoor practice facilities to work with and one had turf... we way over achieved....

Good luck!!

Push your kids but have fun with it......

Tulsa_Fireman
1/6/2008, 01:40 AM
This is awesome. Coaching is one of the most rewarding pursuits you will ever take on. I've done a lil' myself, coaching from 2nd to 6th grades. And there's a few things (actually a buttload of things) I would pass on to a prospective coach. Number one being...

1) Make your boys hard. Life takers and heartbreakers. Regardless of the age group. This starts from day one with a consistent routine and making the parents fully aware of what it is you're doing, which without the parents being in the loop, many won't understand the premise. Set your lines for warm ups. Make 'em stand up straight, tall and proud. Make every word that comes from their lips a roar and accept no less (this for the obvious pride, but also as an easily discernable gauge as to the condition of your players throughout your practice. Trust me, this works like a champ). Notify the parents of the dangers of weak conditioning. Prone to injuries. Weak spirits. Run them. Work them. Leg lifts, up-downs. No sass, every word to your coaching staff, every word to the parents, every word to each other is yes sir, yes ma'am, I can, I will, it's already done, coach.

Sounds nazi as hell, don't it.

You're forging character out there. You're forging an attitude. You're forging staying power. Everything you do, everything they do, is done for the greater good. The team, the home, the character they will take away from your program. Make them strong of heart and the strength they've earned will see them through every adversity they face.

2) Emphasize the importance of the important things. School work. Eating good, eating right. Staying hydrated. Showing respect for their family and those across the ball. Start every practice with enhusiasm for the things they've done to get there, as simple as they may be. Ask them simple questions in a loud, boisterous, excited tone, expect simple answers. DO REDSKINS WORK HARD, BOYS? *whistle!* YES SIR! DO TIGERS ACT RIGHT, BOYS? *whistle!* YES SIR! ARE TITANS LEAN AND MEAN, PAD POPPIN' MACHINES? *whistle!* YES SIR! You dang right you are! On your feet, on the hop! Every action is for a purpose, and the time they spend working hard on homework, working hard helping mom and dad with chores, working hard on the practice field with their bodies AND minds, all act to emphasize the important things. Not who has the coolest shoes or who's the goof in class.

3) Keep it simple. As someone mentioned, don't be afraid to run the football. Keep your playcalling simple, too. Formation, back and hole, blocking scheme. Repeat the basic tenets of your system over and over and over and over and have the boys repeat it back to you over and over and over and over. As mentioned, you have to have strong minds AND strong backs to make strong, well-rounded boys. Teach them the game from the most basic principles. Base your drills around these base principles. In position drills, work fundamentals to shape technique while the mind is constantly reinforced with again, the basic tenets of the system you elect to use. Repeat it so much that as you work basic drills such as post-snap foot placement, hand technique, stance, hip drive, extension, head placement, et cetera, you can shout out a position and the entire position you're working with will resound with a shout as to what that position is, mid-drill. 34! Who gets the ball? FULLBACK! *whistle!* To what hole! FOUR HOLE! *whistle!* Which side is the four hole, boys? RIGHT SIDE! Beeeeyootiful! This, with a simple, easily regurgitated system can allow you as a coach to expand by formation, giving each and every set a simple, easy to correlate name. Twins right, 18 Bootleg on one. Power I Left, 27 Sweep on first sound. Wing Right, Lead Option Right. Simple, simple, simple. Formation, back and hole, blocking assignment, and snap count. Just remember, repetition is key, and that happens in practice. Don't be the team that heads out there and is in a constant state of blown assignments. Playbooks don't work, as home time is time for home, practice time is time for practice. Have them memorize the basics IN PRACTICE and build using these basics.

4) Speaking of position drills, give a player assessment right out of the gate, 1st practice. Assess size, speed, lateral speed, footwork, breakdown, attitude, demeanor, everything you feel you'll need to make smart decisions given the boys you have. That way when daddy (and it'll probably be mama before daddy) is wondering why his 180 pound bulldozer that runs like mud but hits like a hammer isn't playing the tailback spot, but instead is your hard hittin' left guard and your skullsplittin' nosetackle, you'll have the hard facts as to why. "Dad, Johnny is a GREAT fit inside. I really need a young man like Johnny in there, and he's doing a fantastic job so far. We need that hammer, and he sure fits the bill." "Lil' Harry does a lot better in space. Out and about where he can sniff out the ball. We need that kind of cool head and good eye back at the safety spot so when one breaks loose, he can save our bacon." "Billy seems to like the contact, and he's buck strong. That's the kind of horse that can really make things happen at the tackle spot. We like to try and slash the edges/pull the backside/whatever, and Billy looks like he's going to be a duck in water." So on and so forth. That way positioning is never a question, and if parents insist on making it one regardless, it's simply a matter of you addressing their questions, letting them know what you've seen on the practice field, and justifying your decisions. If it goes beyond that, then you need a discussion between yourself and the parents to find out exactly why you're there.

Dang, the list goes on and on. But to sum up, I always left my boys with this. Leave it all on the field. Everything you got, everything each and every one of you have worked your tails off for stays between the sidelines tonight. Because THIS is the fun part. THIS is what we've been working for. THIS is why you boys are here. Unload. Make each other proud of what you've done, because you're ALL <mascot>. And I'm dang proud to be a part of it, too.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/6/2008, 02:09 AM
2) Emphasize the importance of the important things. School work. Eating good, eating right. Staying hydrated. Showing respect for their family and those across the ball. Start every practice with enhusiasm for the things they've done to get there, as simple as they may be. Ask them simple questions in a loud, boisterous, excited tone, expect simple answers. DO REDSKINS WORK HARD, BOYS? *whistle!* YES SIR! DO TIGERS ACT RIGHT, BOYS? *whistle!* YES SIR! ARE TITANS LEAN AND MEAN, PAD POPPIN' MACHINES? *whistle!* YES SIR! You dang right you are! On your feet, on the hop! Every action is for a purpose, and the time they spend working hard on homework, working hard helping mom and dad with chores, working hard on the practice field with their bodies AND minds, all act to emphasize the important things. Not who has the coolest shoes or who's the goof in class.

Tulsa,

Loved your entire post and right on, IMO. But this was the gem. I had one boy in particular that I actually think I reached with this part of your advice... and man... it was good!

AZ...I blew it in not emphasizing overall "purpose". This game has it more than any other, as I'm sure you are aware. Getting the boys to buy into not only the game, but applying the things this game teaches, is probably the best part of it.

colinreturn
1/6/2008, 02:51 AM
i heard creatine works for the kids.

AZSOONER
1/6/2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the help, I'm felling a little less overwhelmed. Although I didn't sleep last night, maybe it's from being excited.:)

tulsaoilerfan
1/6/2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the help, I'm felling a little less overwhelmed. Although I didn't sleep last night, maybe it's from being excited.:)
that excitement will soon vanish when you get parents calling you all the time wondering why their son isn't playing QB ;) Seriously though, you are to be commended for doing this; i coached my son in baseball for 4 different seasons, and even though it can be frustrating at times i really enjoyed it

The Maestro
1/6/2008, 10:27 PM
Call Brian McNamee. Your team will kick arse!

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/6/2008, 10:52 PM
I don't know...those steriods really haven't helped the Yankees that much

Curly Bill
1/7/2008, 12:07 AM
For some reason they all wanted to be the kicker.

This made me laugh cause it doesn't change once they get to high school either. They all think they can kick and punt. Most are seriously mistaken. ;)

Curly Bill
1/7/2008, 12:23 AM
My one bit of advice: Don't set up your drills where your bigger or stronger kids are teeing off on those smaller or weaker then they are. Nothing worse then making a kid scared to hit or tackle because they've learned to be afraid of it right off the bat. Are they gonna have to try and tackle bigger stronger kids in a game? Sure they are, but try to build up to that and not ruin a kid because his first football experience is one of fear and pain. Some of them never get over it.

The_Red_Patriot
1/7/2008, 12:32 AM
Find your fastest kids and run double reverses.

Kids get sucked in all day long.

soonermarkus
1/7/2008, 09:03 AM
I've coached my son his first 3 years of flag football....Just keep it simple...4-5 plays. Let all the kids have fairly equal playing time...(my two kids on my team who were very vocal about not wanting to be there didn't play as much as everyone else) and NEVER...and i mean never yell at your kids when they make a mistake....you've been watching football for years and years...they hav been watching maybe 1 or 2. I've seen too many coaches in first grade flag football view this as their stepping stone to a coordinator position somewhere in D-1. And you have to deal with the parents...just always smile, nod your head, and coach your team the way you want to...good luck!! your sons will love you for being so involved.

soonermarkus
1/7/2008, 09:06 AM
OH...and on D...no schemes or anything. I taught my kids the very basics...That the D line was in charge of getting in the backfield and messing things up for the offense and trying to get a flag...the linebacker was supposed to chase that ball wherever it went, the corners were supposed to STAY HOME and contain, and the free safety was our last line of defense and to stay back and introduced them to running to where the ball was going, not where it's at.....again, best of luck.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/7/2008, 09:22 AM
Which leads to I guess the next obvious question, one I assumed was the case...

This is pads, not flag, right?

Tulsa_Fireman
1/7/2008, 09:45 AM
My one bit of advice: Don't set up your drills where your bigger or stronger kids are teeing off on those smaller or weaker then they are. Nothing worse then making a kid scared to hit or tackle because they've learned to be afraid of it right off the bat. Are they gonna have to try and tackle bigger stronger kids in a game? Sure they are, but try to build up to that and not ruin a kid because his first football experience is one of fear and pain. Some of them never get over it.

Some never had it to begin with. And to get it, they need to cut their teeth on something.

I've had bunches of kids that wouldn't know contact from the shoe size of the disciples. The exact opposite of what you suggest has held true. Get them in hamburger drill, head up with one of your boys that can bring it, and by God, coach the boy, don't change his diaper. Give them a few shots at one another, pause, go back to basics. Get low. Wide base. Keep the feet driving. Facemask in the numbers. Punch and extend your hands. Drive through.

Don't coddle the kids, coach them. They're not eggs or your grandma's crystal. They will learn. They will adapt. They will figure out what they need to do to be successful given the tools you give them on the field. In fact, you just might find those smaller kids kick the living crap out of your bigger kids. Everyone hits everyone. Mine did. My smaller kids were buzzsaws. The bigger they got, the softer they were. And they will be successful. I've had one boy in all my coaching that just never "got it". One.

So don't be afraid to let the boys ding each other a lil' bit, regardless of size. As was mentioned, they'll have to hit bigger boys on gameday, so you'd be an idiot to let their first taste of hard hittin' be on the field when it counts. You're doing the boys a disservice. Build them up in practice. Get bigger/smaller matchups consistent with where you'll be putting the boys according to scheme. Work your LBs against your OL in contact drills. RBs against the D-Line. So on and so forth. When little Johnny is going up against big Cletus, coach the living you know what out of little Johnny. ENSURE his technique is right. ENSURE he has the tools to be successful. ENSURE he has the attitude to hit Cletus right in the motherlovin' mouth and make him like it. If he doesn't, coach him until he does. Build him up positively, reinforce technique, reinforce again by SHOWING him technique, then make the drill about excitement. Make the drill about a learning experience that's one of the most enjoyable parts of practice.

Ain't nobody in here that played ball that didn't love Hamburger/Oklahoma drill. Make it fun. Keep it simple. Coach attitude AND technique, and never stop coaching, BOTH sides of a contact drill. Never let them hit for the sake of hitting. Every moment is a learning experience.

Curly Bill
1/7/2008, 10:08 AM
Some never had it to begin with. And to get it, they need to cut their teeth on something.

I've had bunches of kids that wouldn't know contact from the shoe size of the disciples. The exact opposite of what you suggest has held true. Get them in hamburger drill, head up with one of your boys that can bring it, and by God, coach the boy, don't change his diaper. Give them a few shots at one another, pause, go back to basics. Get low. Wide base. Keep the feet driving. Facemask in the numbers. Punch and extend your hands. Drive through.

Don't coddle the kids, coach them. They're not eggs or your grandma's crystal. They will learn. They will adapt. They will figure out what they need to do to be successful given the tools you give them on the field. In fact, you just might find those smaller kids kick the living crap out of your bigger kids. Everyone hits everyone. Mine did. My smaller kids were buzzsaws. The bigger they got, the softer they were. And they will be successful. I've had one boy in all my coaching that just never "got it". One.

So don't be afraid to let the boys ding each other a lil' bit, regardless of size. As was mentioned, they'll have to hit bigger boys on gameday, so you'd be an idiot to let their first taste of hard hittin' be on the field when it counts. You're doing the boys a disservice. Build them up in practice. Get bigger/smaller matchups consistent with where you'll be putting the boys according to scheme. Work your LBs against your OL in contact drills. RBs against the D-Line. So on and so forth. When little Johnny is going up against big Cletus, coach the living you know what out of little Johnny. ENSURE his technique is right. ENSURE he has the tools to be successful. ENSURE he has the attitude to hit Cletus right in the motherlovin' mouth and make him like it. If he doesn't, coach him until he does. Build him up positively, reinforce technique, reinforce again by SHOWING him technique, then make the drill about excitement. Make the drill about a learning experience that's one of the most enjoyable parts of practice.

Ain't nobody in here that played ball that didn't love Hamburger/Oklahoma drill. Make it fun. Keep it simple. Coach attitude AND technique, and never stop coaching, BOTH sides of a contact drill. Never let them hit for the sake of hitting. Every moment is a learning experience.

Thanks for that Bear Bryant, but I get to see the end result with these kids so when we get them in high school or junior high they won't hit a thing, or of they do attempt to hit someone else it's going for their ankles because that's what they developed in your hamburger/Oklahoma drill in order to not get killed. So, you keep doing that and those of us on up the chain will try to coach the fear and/or improper technique out of them.

God, I love me a blood and guts pee-wee coach.

Breadburner
1/7/2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for that Bear Bryant, but I get to see the end result with these kids so when we get them in high school or junior high they won't hit a thing, or of they do attempt to hit someone else it's going for their ankles because that's what they developed in your hamburger/Oklahoma drill in order to not get killed. So, you keep doing that and those of us on up the chain will try to coach the fear and/or improper technique out of them.

My sentiments exactly......

Tulsa_Fireman
1/7/2008, 10:38 AM

Glad you do.

What you're describing is exactly what I mentioned, just like you said. Coaching improper technique. That's the ENTIRE POINT of contact drills is honing technique. It's not about throwin' raw meat in a pile and sic'ing the dogs. It's about giving them a taste of contact that's consistent with what they'll experience on the field and giving them the tools and techniques that will allow them to A) be in the correct position for contact, B) make solid contact, C) finish through contact with proper form to prevent injury, ensure solid, fundamental tackling/blocking skills, and to have these tools to take to the next level so that guys like yourself don't have to rebuild technique because you got a bunch of anklebiters, knee cutters and titty pushers.

Proper technique eliminates that, regardless of size. And once everyone on your squad is to the point where technique is consistent and solid, then you'll begin to see bigger, faster, stronger start to show dominance in contact drills. And THAT'S when you even it up. When the boys know contact, proper execution, and rock solid fundamentals, not base survival and scrambling to not get killed. That's why coaches are there, to teach these skills.

I'm sorry you've had a pile of bad experiences. There's a lot of guys out there that emphasize hitting for the sake of hitting, and I'm pretty sure I addressed that. It's not about blood and guts, it's again, about TEACHING. Giving the kids the most basic of fundamentals, building on these fundamentals, so that when they hit the field, they don't get hurt for starters, and can perform to the best of their ability because they know HOW to perform. Because as a coach, you taught them the right methods.

I may very well be talking out my ear. I've never coached pee-wee. My coaching has been predominantly 2nd to 6th grade with some individual skills coaching at the junior high and high school levels. So believe it or not, I feel your pain. I've had kids that have played, DIDN'T have these basic fundamentals, and just like you said, it was a case of survival out there. But the point remains, these tools can be taught in the earliest levels of the game where there's contact. Good footwork and a solid base is fundamental. Proper form, head up, pads square, that's all fundamental. Driving through contact, explosive hands, head positioning, that's all fundamental. And it's not complicated. And it gives your boys a base to work from knowing that if they do X, Y, and Z fundamentally, they will execute. They'll be doing it right and they'll know success.

That doesn't make me a Bear Bryant, and it doesn't make me a blood and guts kind of coach. I'm not real sure where you got that, other than you trying to be cute, funny, a smart ***, or exhibit some kind of forum elitism. We're talking coaching, and regardless of the level of the game or attitude in how you relate to the boys, fundamentals are key. Giving the boys the tools so that they AREN'T fearful of contact, CAN execute properly and safely, and have a good time doing it is key.

I'm not seeing how that's a negative.

usmc-sooner
1/7/2008, 10:48 AM
strike hard strike fast no mercy sir

mercy is for the weak, there is no pain in this dojo

is there a problem Mr. Lawrence

Curly Bill
1/7/2008, 03:19 PM
Tulsa Fireman,
I'm going to have to believe you know what you're doing and that you're doing things properly, I certainly have no proof to the contrary. I do in fact see too many kids that when we get them in high school do not hit properly because they have learned improper technique, or they have learned to tackle, or at least try to, in a fashion that causes as little contact as possible, hoping therefore to avoid injury, but as a result maybe making themselves more likely to injure themselves or someone else, and certainly not making them effective football players.

I'm gonna trust that you know the difference in bringing them along properly, because they do need to know how to hit and tackle bigger stronger players, and the difference in Darwinian throw them all in the grinder and see who comes out alive.

Sorry for having offended, if I in fact did. I guess my hackles were a little raised. Believe me I salute anyone who's coaching the little dudes and doing a good job of it. I can tell you that it's not something I'm sure I'd be cut out for.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/7/2008, 05:14 PM
Well my theory is to put them against kids that seem physically similar. Very quickly you should be able to determine which ones are more naturally drawn to physical. You are going to find that some of those that are the tiniest are also going to be more vicious, call it the Bad News Bears syndrome. You are going to have some larger kids that are afraid to hit for various reasons. At the end of the day, some kids just don't have "it" At this level, you want to protect those kids that don't have "it" Put them in situations were they can succeed but don't overextend the talent and strengths of your players.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/7/2008, 05:14 PM
I'm going to have to believe you know what you're doing and that you're doing things properly, I certainly have no proof to the contrary. I do in fact see too many kids that when we get them in high school do not hit properly because they have learned improper technique, or they have learned to tackle, or at least try to, in a fashion that causes as little contact as possible, hoping therefore to avoid injury, but as a result maybe making themselves more likely to injure themselves or someone else, and certainly not making them effective football players.

Amen. I've seen it too. And given the parents of the children we coach have entrusted us with nothing less than the welfare of their children while under that tutelage, it's only right that they be brought up as safely and as fundamentally sound as they can be. Anything less is, like you say, actually endangering the kids. I can't stand for that, and it's a pity some folks can, whether through ignorance or ill will.

I'm gonna trust that you know the difference in bringing them along properly, because they do need to know how to hit and tackle bigger stronger players, and the difference in Darwinian throw them all in the grinder and see who comes out alive.

Surely. Couldn't agree with that more. There's no place for the latter in this level of play because again, by my philosophy, it's teaching rock solid fundamentals and strength of body, mind, and character. They'll enjoy the fruits of that labor on game day. And when you boil it down, given each successive level of play, a lot of those boys won't continue with the game as they get older. But they'll always have something to take with them, regardless of what they do.

Sorry for having offended, if I in fact did. I guess my hackles were a little raised. Believe me I salute anyone who's coaching the little dudes and doing a good job of it. I can tell you that it's not something I'm sure I'd be cut out for.

No need for the apology. Given some parts of my posts, I can see how it might've been inferred. But to me, those things and others are simply molding the clay. Boys in these early years are SO impressionable, and what they learn now, not just in what applies strictly on the field, will sit with them forever. I don't want to be the one that comes up in that boy's mind when he's thirty or forty, teaching his boy how to properly execute a high/low or whackin' him upside the head because he missed a block or put the ball on the turf. I want him to think back, like I did, of how I was brought into the game. Rock hard fundamentals. Strong body, mind, and character. 110% hustle and leaving everything you brought on the field and knowing what you did was the right thing. And you did it every time for yourself and the ten other guys around you.

Not saying my way is the only way or the right way. But as was mentioned somewhere in this thread, there's a lot more than fancy plays, folks yelling in the stands, and glory to be taken from the game. That's what I want every one of the boys I've coached to take away from it. The important things. The things that don't make the highlight reels or stat books.

AZSOONER
1/7/2008, 06:39 PM
Well, maybe I'll match the kids by size in the begining, and take the bigger kids who hit soft and put them against the little kids who hit hard. That way the small kids ease into hitting big kids and get their confidence, and maybe by chance the big kids see the smaller kid and isn't afraid of him and the intimidation factor isn't there and realize this hittin stuff aint so bad. Win win all the way around. Who knows, I'm new but I figure if I try and dedicate my time into doing what is right for the kids and keep it fun, at this level it's hard to go wrong.