PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Reid to the NFL Draft.....

sooner518
1/5/2008, 10:35 AM
wtf?

http://newsok.com/article/3189121/

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State quarterback Bobby Reid has declared for the NFL Draft instead of using his final year of eligibility to play at a Division I-AA program.

Replaced by Zac Robinson as OSU's starter two games into the 2007 season, Reid graduated in December. Speculation was he would leave OSU. On Friday, he announced he was turning pro.

"I know I'm at rock bottom right now, but I know I've got some football left,” Reid told Matt Malatesta, who wrote the book "It's My Life,” which chronicled Galena Park North Shore's 2003 state championship season.

"I'm working out with my quarterback coach,” Reid told Malatesta. "I will be doing everything I can to prepare for the NFL Draft.”

Even with Reid leaving, it doesn't open an additional scholarship for Stephenville, Texas, quarterback Kody Spano, who committed to OSU 11 months ago.

Spano was told last month by coach Mike Gundy he might have to wait until June to be on scholarship since OSU signed seven junior college players, and two seniors didn't graduate as projected.

The reason a scholarship doesn't open up is OSU coaches forecast Reid would graduate early and would probably leave.

Spano is in Lincoln, Neb., for an official visit. If the visit goes well, he could commit to Nebraska this weekend. Spano said it's uncertain whether he would still consider the Cowboys if a scholarship becomes available. Classes begin Monday at OSU.

Reid started all 13 games as a sophomore, passing for 2,266 yards, 24 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He rushed for 500 yards and five scores.

After leading OSU to a 7-6 season in 2005, capped by a win in the Independence Bowl, Reid was considered one of the top quarterbacks in the Big 12. Robinson, though, started the final 11 games, establishing a single-season school record for total offense.

The change became national news when Gundy vehemently criticized The Oklahoman's Jenni Carlson for a column she wrote surrounding the quarterback change.

Reid missed two practices in mid-October. A few days later, Gundy said Reid wasn't suspended but was inactive for the Kansas State game because Reid was dealing with "some personal issues.” Reid was Robinson's backup the remainder of the season.

One of the most highly touted recruits in school history, Reid sat out his freshman year after he suffered a shoulder injury in OSU's 2004 spring game, an injury that went undetected in high school.

Since OSU fans hadn't seen much of Reid, The Oklahoman contacted Malatesta, who featured Reid in his book.

"Bobby is going to be Vincent Young but with better mechanics,” Malatesta said in 2005, a month before two-a-days.

It created a lot of hype for a quarterback who hadn't taken a collegiate snap. The publicity heightened when Reid didn't win the starting job.

Donovan Woods, the starter on OSU's 2004 Alamo Bowl team, remained the No. 1 quarterback. Three games into the '05 season, OSU coaches switched starters. Reid was named the starter. Woods moved to defense.

Reid has a strong arm and tremendous athleticism but has been plagued by injuries throughout his career. He suffered three dislocated toes in 2005. He missed half the season but won an open competition with Robinson for the starting job in 2006.

After Reid failed to play through knee and ankle pain the second game this season, coaches made the switch to Robinson.

In 27 games at OSU, Reid threw for 3,143 yards and 27 touchdowns and ran for 654 yards and five scores. He ranks third all-time at OSU in passing touchdowns and is eighth in passing yards.

Fred Garvin
1/5/2008, 10:43 AM
I'll take "No Chance in Hell" for $500, Alex.

Dio
1/5/2008, 10:59 AM
I hope the NFL scouts don't bedowngrade him.

tulsaoilerfan
1/5/2008, 11:15 AM
I'm sure he will get a look as a free agent somewhere, but that's about it unless he tries Canada

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2008, 11:20 AM
Im wondering what kinda shape he is in at this point. If he let himself go, he's gonna be in trouble getting any type of a look

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2008, 11:20 AM
who will stand up for him in the pro's if a writer criticizes him?

MextheBulldog
1/5/2008, 11:48 AM
Most overly-hyped recruit, evar?

TripleOption14
1/5/2008, 12:12 PM
Can anyone say........ Wide Receiver.

illinisooner
1/5/2008, 12:14 PM
Bobby, D1-AA is your friend.

bluedogok
1/5/2008, 12:22 PM
Maybe he could get a KFC endorsement deal now.....

MichiganSooner
1/5/2008, 12:39 PM
Bobby has an education degree. My advice is use it. Get a teaching job and be a coach.

Second thought, I never played football; am 56 years old; walk 3 miles each day in about 40 minutes; I'll put my name in the NFL draft. Maybe I'll get lucky.

mdklatt
1/5/2008, 12:40 PM
If he gets drafted would that finally mean he's a man?

bluedogok
1/5/2008, 12:41 PM
Yep, try it make a team as long as you can. I don't fault him for that but a year at I-AA might help him.

possumfat
1/5/2008, 12:47 PM
who cares..................

Bruiser53
1/5/2008, 12:49 PM
On Mel Kiper's board, he's projected as the 67th pick in the 15th round. More irrelevant than Mr. Irrelevant

budbarrybob
1/5/2008, 01:05 PM
:D
I'll take "No Chance in Hell" for $500, Alex.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OUmillenium
1/5/2008, 02:26 PM
I think he will not get drafted until he is a man...maybe around age 40?

Mixer!
1/5/2008, 04:09 PM
He had potential, but that group of headcases at Boone State have rendered him af2 material at best. He would have had better success playing for :mack:.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 04:41 PM
Actually he probably would have been better with Mack...Mack doesn't really improve players, which is an improvement over OsU making their players worse.

Rocker
1/5/2008, 04:41 PM
Really? Who's going to draft him?......AND What NFL scout wants to keep his job after recommending he should be drafted?

Thats Funny!!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 04:53 PM
"You made me do that!" said Ron angrily, sucking his cut thumb. "You wait, when I'm seventeen-"
"I'm sure you'll dazzle us all with hitherto unsuspected magical skills," yawned Fred.

This Harry Potter quote reminds me a lot of this situation....

Sooner Eclipse
1/5/2008, 04:57 PM
That's gotta be the worst draft related decision since Maurice Clarett decided to set for a year and then enter the draft. He posted a time that some elderly people would be ashamed of in the forty.

I agree, 1-AA is your friend, Bobby.

Remembering Tom Stidham
1/5/2008, 05:41 PM
He'll do as well as Chance Mock.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 05:49 PM
You mean the Chance Mock that is leading the undeafeted New England Patriots?

MichiganSooner
1/6/2008, 10:44 AM
Really? Who's going to draft him?......AND What NFL scout wants to keep his job after recommending he should be drafted?

Thats Funny!!!

The Lions might. They'll draft anybody.

Breadburner
1/6/2008, 10:49 AM

Thats Funny!!!

I heard Coors is having a draft.....

badger
1/6/2008, 10:54 AM
"Bobby Reid to the NFL Draft" implies that he's going to be drafted... which he is not, kind of like Mike Vick's younger, more immature brother shortly after it became known that he was stomping on opponents and not apologizing like he said he would/did and other crap about academics.

At least Reid got his degree, but he doesn't have Vick Jr's talent. I'd say a comparable work ethic, however, as I am quite sure that had he shown any interest at all in getting the starting job back in practice or on the sidelines at games, he would have had more snaps, especially in games that were pretty much decided by the half.

Reid may not even get a chance at a practice squad, which is usually reserved for friends of players already on the roster, people that their coaches go to bat for (no, there's not going to be a Tirade II for that) or people that they wanted to draft if they had a few more picks. Reid fits none of those qualifications.

So much for "next Vince Young." How about "next Marcus Vick." Talented, but an unnecessarily liability with no work ethic.

OSUAggie
1/6/2008, 02:30 PM
"Bobby Reid to the NFL Draft" implies that he's going to be drafted... which he is not, kind of like Mike Vick's younger, more immature brother shortly after it became known that he was stomping on opponents and not apologizing like he said he would/did and other crap about academics.

At least Reid got his degree, but he doesn't have Vick Jr's talent. I'd say a comparable work ethic, however, as I am quite sure that had he shown any interest at all in getting the starting job back in practice or on the sidelines at games, he would have had more snaps, especially in games that were pretty much decided by the half.

Reid may not even get a chance at a practice squad, which is usually reserved for friends of players already on the roster, people that their coaches go to bat for (no, there's not going to be a Tirade II for that) or people that they wanted to draft if they had a few more picks. Reid fits none of those qualifications.

So much for "next Vince Young." How about "next Marcus Vick." Talented, but an unnecessarily liability with no work ethic.

I wanna talk about this post, right here.

If anybody hasn't read this post (I don't read it). But this was shown to me by a mother..... of children. I think this is worth readin'.

Lemme tell ya why I'ma talk about this post:

3/4 of this is inakert.

It's fiction.

(Drops coffee on himself)

And this post embarrasses me to be involved in posting. Tremendously.

And that post had to be written by a person that doesn't have a child, and has NEVER HAD A CHILD THAT'S HAD THEIR HEART BROKEN AND COME HOME... upset. AND HAD TO DEAL WITH THE CHILD WHEN HE IS UPSET. AND KICK A PERSON WHen he's down.

Here's all that kid did:

1. He goes to class.

2. He's respectful to the media.

3. He's RESPECTFUL TO THE PUBLIC.

4. And he's a good kid.

And he's not a professional athlete, and he doesn't deserve to be kicked when he's down.

If you have a child someday, you'll understand how it feels, but you obviously don't have a child. I do. IF YOUR CHILD GOES DOWN THE STREET, AND SOMEBODY MAKES FUN OF HIM BECAUSE HE DROPPED A PASS IN A PICKUP GAME ... OR SAYS HE FAT, AND HE COMES HOME CRYING TO HIS MOM; you'd undestand.

But you've never had that. But someday you will. And when your child comes home, you'll understand. IF YOU WANNA GO AFTER AN ATHLETE, ONE OF MIKE'S ATHLETES, YOU GO AFTER ONE THAT DUDN'T DO THE RIGHT THINGS.

YOU DON'T DOWNGRADE EEM BECAUSE HE DOES EVERYTHING RIGHT AND MAY NOT PLAY AS WELL ON SATURDAY, AND YOU LET US MAKE THAT DECISION.

THAT'S WHY I DON'T READ THE MESSAGE BOARDS. 'CAUSE THEY'RE GARBAGE. AND THE MOD THAT LET THIS COME OUT IS GARBAGE. ATTACKIN' AN AMATEUR ATHELTE FOR DOIN' EVERYTHING RIGHT.

And then you wanna write articles about guys that don't do things right, and downgrade 'em, the one's that do make plays. Are you kididng me? WHERE ARE WE AT IN society today?

COME AFTER ME. I'M A MAN, I'M 40. I'M NOT A PL, I'M NOT A KID. POST SOMETHIN ABOUT ME, or our coaching staff. Don't post about a kid that does everything right, that's heart's broken, and then say that his work ethic was bad; THAT AIN'T TRUE.

AND THEN TO SAY THAT HE MADE THAT DECISION 'CAUSE OF MARCUS VICK, BECAUSE HE LEFT EARLY FOR THE DRAFT, THAT'S NOT TRUE! SO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

And I hope someday you have a child, and somebody bedowngrades him and belittles 'em, and you have to look 'em in the eye and say, "You know what, it's ok. They're sposed to be mature adults, but they're really not."

Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here, are you kidding me?

That's all I got to say, makes me wanna puke.

------------------------------

Seriously though, bad work ethic?

The guy dominates in practice settings, but he froze up on Saturdays. He'll turn some heads in the combine. He needs to hide the game tape, though.

Doged
1/6/2008, 03:01 PM
Maybe he could get a KFC endorsement deal now.....

Seriously, someone in KFC's marketing department should be all over this guy. :D

NYC Poke
1/6/2008, 03:02 PM
Tirades live forever. At least the ones that have been posted on anonymous internet message boards do. And these days everything is recorded. And everything that is recorded quickly ends up on YouTube. So tirades and rants, fights, confrontations, bloopers, binges, wardrobe malfunctions, bad hair days and any other brief episode that at least one human being views as sufficiently interesting are uploaded

Oklahoma State fan OSUAggie's postpost tirade certainly qualifies. It will live forever, joining the pantheon of epic rants that can be quickly located and saved for perpetuity. When it comes to tirades delivered after a dramatic, crucial come-from-behind victory, it might be in a class all its own!

As such, it will always be a part of OSUAggie's legacy, whatever that turns out to be. In these days, legacies can be shaped by whatever pops up at the top of the Google or YouTube search pages or finds its way into your Wikipedia entry. Now, people who had never heard of OSUAggie and couldn't tell you Oklahoma State's mascot, conference or campus location will simply recognize him as the crazy poster in the orange shirt going berserk for the better part of 3 minutes and 20 seconds, yelling at some unseen soonerfans poster, voice rising and falling like a fire-and-brimstone preacher reprimanding his sinning flock.

Maybe OSUAggie doesn't mind. I haven't spoken to him since then. But the tirade's timing certainly robbed the Cowboys of well deserved kudos for the win over Indiana in a bowl game I heard was on something called "The NFL Network." That's too bad. Maybe the players appreciated OSUAggie's defending QB Bobby Reid, but wasn't there a better time, place and method to do it?

My buddy Craig James believes that OSUAggie's rant will help on the recruiting trail. Prospective OSU posters will now see him as a guy who will stand up for them. To a man, the current and former posters I've talked to applaud OSUAggie. I will be interested to hear what Kirk Herbstreit and Desmond Howard have to say on GameDay.

Beyond the good theater it provides, OSUAggie's tirade shines a light on the line dividing fair reporting and nasty cheap shots. Coaches typically have very different views on this than than the media covering them. Typically, though, college athletes are not subjected to the same kind of sharp barbs and damning labels that the pros are.

In this case, OSUAggie has a point. Certain posters on soonerfans labeled demoted quarterback Bobby Reid mentally and physically soft. He was portrayed as unmanly, a mama's boy. That was why, in large part, he'd lost his job, the soonerfans claimed.

In writing that, someposters crossed a line. They stepped out of bounds. College athletes can and often are called mistake-prone, inconsistent, ineffective or unathletic. That's fair game and mostly a matter of record. But don't call a college football player a wimp … or a sissy … (or any of the other anatomically related names commonly thrown around).

So, back to the rant. OSUAggie had some valid points to make, but I'm afraid a lot of that got overshadowed in his loud and rambling delivery. He lost it and lost his chance to more clearly make his case. He chose to attack and lecture soonerfans posters for not having gained the wisdom and sensitivity that comes only from having to console an upset child. I don't have kids, yet I think I am capable of understanding what's fair reporting and what's not fair. Compassion is not a quality achievable only to those with children.

Let's be clear about one final thing, though: Reid is not a kid. When OSUAggie makes analogies comparing Reid to a 10-year-old taunted on a playground, it rings false with me. Reid is a few months short of his 22nd birthday. He's a man. There are thousands of people younger than him who are fighting in Iraq. He is old enough by three years to be shot at in Baghdad. He is old enough to be criticized by an anonymous internet message board. As long as the criticisms are fair. In this case, they were not.

Let's see if Oklahoma State responds to the buttons OSUAggie pushed.