PDA

View Full Version : I got my assignment...and aircraft.

SoonerStormchaser
1/5/2008, 08:46 AM
It was a long fight all week...but here's where I'm headed:
http://aviation.sosu.edu/images/ktik.jpg

And here's the plane:
http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/mm/2006/02/1139084299.83781.jpg
:) :) :) :)

Assignments tried to slot me for a mandatory AC-130 to Hurlburt Field, FL...but I managed to find a guy who just graduated from Nav School last month to take that slot (he wanted gunships as badly as I wanted AWACS, but he got a C-130 slot to Little Rock). So a three-way trade was worked out...he got my gunship...I got my E-3...and the C-130 slot he had is going to the next class, all of whom want C-130's.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 08:49 AM
It was a long fight all week...but here's where I'm headed:
http://aviation.sosu.edu/images/ktik.jpg

And here's the plane:
http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/mm/2006/02/1139084299.83781.jpg
:) :) :) :)

Assignments tried to slot me for a mandatory AC-130 to Hurlburt Field, FL...but I managed to find a guy who just graduated from Nav School last month to take that slot (he wanted gunships as badly as I wanted AWACS, but he got a C-130 slot to Little Rock). So a three-way trade was worked out...he got my gunship...I got my E-3...and the C-130 slot he had is going to the next class, all of whom want C-130's.

Is that you Folding ?
:eek:

swardboy
1/5/2008, 09:51 AM
That plane needs a good body shop!

Congrats.

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 09:58 AM
That plane needs a good body shop!

Congrats.
He gets to baby sit it while it gets fixed
Plus he gets every nite with granny and all weekends
Are they realy gonna pay you to fly this ?:confused:
http://images.king-jouet.com/1/GU100778_1.jpg

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2008, 10:31 AM
If you were my kid I'd give you a 'fixer upper' to start with too.

Are they going to give you any money to fix it or are you going to have to cut the matress for your wife's savings?

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 10:38 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: Please Gawd NO
Our Govt. aint gonna let the Idjit Frag magnet. be In charge Of a Big Plane ! ?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 10:47 AM
If you were my kid I'd give you a 'fixer upper' to start with too.

Are they going to give you any money to fix it or are you going to have to cut the matress for your wife's savings?
If he was My kid Id a smacked him :rolleyes:

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2008, 11:15 AM
shocking......

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 11:20 AM
so you'll be stationed at Tinker, 2 months out of the year?

Congrats, don't let the pilots get lost!!

StormySooner-IN
1/5/2008, 11:24 AM
If he was My kid Id a smacked him :rolleyes:Watch Yourself.

:D

SoonerGirl06
1/5/2008, 11:27 AM
You're gonna have a hard time flying that thing on a straight course with the nose all bent in stuff.

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 11:30 AM
If the AF would invest in a few Garmin 596s you Navigators would be out of work. ;)

KABOOKIE
1/5/2008, 11:34 AM
If the AF would invest in a few Garmin 596s you Navigators would be out of work. ;)

Psssst. Most of the idjit Navs just buy a Garmin 496 out of pocket and then sit back and twidle their thumbs 99% of the flight.

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 11:43 AM
who asked you?

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 12:11 PM
;) ;) :cool:
Watch Yourself.

:D
Naw
The Cougar bait is a a Punanny !;)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 12:21 PM
Psssst. Most of the idjit Navs just buy a Garmin 496 out of pocket and then sit back and twidle their thumbs 99% of the flight.
Please tell me the Govt. aint gonna let this Idjit loose In a big Plane

Naw All Im gonna ask is Please No aw Fuk No
:eek:

usmc-sooner
1/5/2008, 12:36 PM
Kabookie is a pretty good pilot

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 12:38 PM
did you two join the mile high club on you trip to the game?
;)

usmc-sooner
1/5/2008, 12:43 PM
;)

the inverted belly roll with with starboard roll out mile high club :D

KABOOKIE
1/5/2008, 02:58 PM
;)

More like the 1.5 mile high club. Take that! :D

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 03:00 PM
what kind of plane do you have?

Okla-homey
1/5/2008, 03:22 PM
Let me get this striaght.

You say you had an AC-130 in your grasp.

IOW, an aerospace vehicle crewed buy several very cool guys and equipped with two 20 mm M61 Vulcan cannons, one 40 mm L60 Bofors cannon, and one 105 mm (4.13 in) M102 howitzer.

http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/39006/2000952796872159395_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000952796872159395)

Using those weapons, the aforementioned cool guys are capable of putting literally tons fire and steel on ground targets in all weather, while scaring the living shiite out of everyone in the neighborhood who is not in their crosshairs.

Moreover, those cool guys, flying a single one of those aircraft, have demonstrated their capability to get our grunts out of countless jams since the technology was introduced during the Viet Nam war.

But you were'nt happy with that.

Nooooooo.

Instead, you say you parlayed that assignment for a modified KC-135 with a special air-to-air radar and a pack of geeks in the aft end with whom you'll bore holes in the sky for twelve hours at a whack.

During that time, the geeks in the back will sit in front of their scopes drinking Dew, eating ham sandwiches and tubes of Pringles while listening to their iPods as they wait for non-existent bogies to appear on their scopes.

In the event some moron did to try to get airborne and take on our MiG cap, those geeks, after spilling their Dew, dropping their sandwiches and Pringles and untangling their iPod earbuds, would presumably vector the cap to kill the doofus.

Of course, you wouldn't even be involved in that, because you'll be in the forward cockpit, monitoring the GPS and INS to make sure everyone doesn't forget where they are.

Priceless.:rolleyes:

KABOOKIE
1/5/2008, 03:23 PM
what kind of plane do you have?

172, 182, and 206.

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 03:27 PM
You wanna sell that 182?

critical_phil
1/5/2008, 03:27 PM
homey, a little sensitivity is in order.

he just wanted to be close to his wife and step-kids.

and step-grandkids......

Mongo
1/5/2008, 03:29 PM
Homey, they have great assisted living services around Tinker. SSC considered that when and if he'd be deployed

KABOOKIE
1/5/2008, 03:29 PM
You wanna sell that 182?

Nope. And it's not like that. Anyways, I has to go fly now. I'll be stopping in Ponca and Alva. If I have time I' want to fly over that Little Saraha state park.

Okla-homey
1/5/2008, 03:49 PM
homey, a little sensitivity is in order.

he just wanted to be close to his wife and step-kids.

and step-grandkids......

Of course. Who would want to move his family at government expense to a cool home near the beach in Destin FL for a few years when they can stay put in Midwest City? You're right, that's crazy talk.

Paperclip
1/5/2008, 06:08 PM

I'll wave to you from my driveway.

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 07:15 PM
http://ideaphotos.com/Pictures-Photographs-Pics/Northwest%20Airlines%20PLane%20in%20The%20Gutter_s mall.jpgAre they really goona let you fly a Real air plane ?? after this ?
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
http://ideaphotos.com/Pictures-Photographs-Pics/Northwest%20Airlines%20PLane%20in%20The%20Gutter_s mall.jpg

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 07:21 PM
he's not a pilot, Vet.

SoonerStormchaser
1/5/2008, 09:48 PM
Homey,

If I were to pick a plane purely on mission, I'd have taken the gunship without a second thought. However, I turned it down for two reasons:
1. AFSOC...where your entire career is predetermined when you first step through their door...where they keep their meathooks into you your entire career...and where you spend your entire career at ONE LOCATION!
2. I get Alaska, Japan and/or Europe with AWACS.

And, btw, I'm moving back to our house in Norman...not Midwest City.

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 10:09 PM
Homey,

If I were to pick a plane purely on mission, I'd have taken the gunship without a second thought. However, I turned it down for two reasons:
1. AFSOC...where your entire career is predetermined when you first step through their door...where they keep their meathooks into you your entire career...and where you spend your entire career at ONE LOCATION!

Ya say"OUR' house Is that His ex house ? or 1 Yall Bot together ?

Flagstaffsooner
1/5/2008, 10:13 PM
Pimple boy needs care from grandma.

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 10:25 PM
Pimple boy needs care from grandma.
You didnt say that Did Ya ? :eek:

Okla-homey
1/5/2008, 10:40 PM
Homey,

and AWACS is any different? In fact, it's much worse because the AWACs community is dominated by:

http://aycu40.webshots.com/image/39439/2002630817221418926_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002630817221418926)
these dorks

http://aycu25.webshots.com/image/38224/2002635968134388211_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002635968134388211)
and these guys

Again, you crack me up. Have you ever even set foot on Duke Field or Hurlburt? Do you actually know anyone in that command?

Frankly, I''ve known quite a few navs who did extremely well in AFSOC. Because it is not dominated by fighter pilots.

AWACS, and more generally ACC? fuggitaboutit.

But then again, what do I know? I was only in the USAF longer than you have been on the flippin' planet.

WTF are you kiddin' about why you wanted the screwtop geekmobile? Not me.
I guess its too late, because you've already done your dirty deal. But, you just hosed yourself. Again. I hope it turns out to be worth it.

<start rant>
One more time. Then, I'm gonna hush and let you auger in as you seem bound and determined to do. My experience has been that officers who make profound and long-lasting career decisions based on family considerations, usually end up losing their family and their career too.

Put another way, EVERYONE in a military family needs to be 100% committed and supportive of the guy in the uniform. That's why they have those bumper stickers that say, "Air Force Wife...the Toughest Job in the Air Force." Those ladies are the unsung heroes, and they are one of the reasons we have the world's best Air Force.

If you don't have one of those, then it's nut-cuttin' time. Choose. As long as you wear that uniform, you have a duty to the Nation that overrides family considerations. If family needs to come first, I suggest you consider another line of work and get the hell out of the way for some young tiger who can't get into flight school but who is willing to be totally committed to his mission, which is to fly and fight. Not be a support system for a needful family.
<end rant.>

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2008, 10:45 PM
My family is well aware that posting on the internet is a higher priority.

They've come to terms with it.

Flagstaffsooner
1/5/2008, 10:47 PM
Homey, give up on the guy. He is obviously brain dead.

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 10:47 PM
and get a Class A uniform that fits.

Okla-homey
1/5/2008, 10:50 PM
Homey, give up on the guy. He is obviously brain dead.

WILCO. I gotta remember, some guys just seem intent on stomping on their crank wearing golf shoes.

Jerk
1/5/2008, 10:55 PM
Man...I would have taken the C130 job.

You don't get to shoot at anything in an AWACS.

Most you have to worry about in a C130 is RPG's and AK's, which would take one heck of a lucky shot. Yeah, we gave Mohammed some Stingers back in the 80's, but the batteries are dead now.

In an AWACS, if we ever get in a fight with a country like China or Russia, you'll have SAM missles to deal with...and you can't vector those...and I don't think you have flares in that airplane, either. Good luck.

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2008, 11:46 PM
homeypwn3d

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 11:55 PM
The Homester smack down of the nOOb !:cool: ;)

Flagstaffsooner
1/6/2008, 12:22 AM
I was in radar in the USAF and knew a bunch of AWACS guys that are still in. I will warn them about this twerp.

Jerk
1/6/2008, 10:19 AM
This is what Cougar Bait missed out on:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c6a_1172279607

SoonerStormchaser
1/6/2008, 10:47 AM
Ya say"OUR' house Is that His ex house ? or 1 Yall Bot together ?
OUR house. She bought it after her divorce...but I now pay the mortgage with my BAH.

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2008, 10:51 AM
Reading SSC's posts about his career choices is like watching a train wreck.

SoonerStormchaser
1/6/2008, 11:20 AM
and AWACS is any different? In fact, it's much worse because the AWACs community is dominated by:

http://aycu40.webshots.com/image/39439/2002630817221418926_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002630817221418926)
these dorks

http://aycu25.webshots.com/image/38224/2002635968134388211_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002635968134388211)
and these guys

That is true...at Tinker. But since there's not a snowball's chance in hell that I'm going to spend my whole career at Tinker, as they are now PRACTICALLY REQUIRING us to move on after 4-5 years to somewhere else (i.e. for me, Elmendorf, Kadena, GK, or a Nav schoolhouse position), it will be only temporary.

Again, you crack me up. Have you ever even set foot on Duke Field or Hurlburt? Do you actually know anyone in that command?

Yes I do, in fact. I've talked at length over the past year that I've been down there with several instructors that are former AFSOC Navs and EWOs. Not to mention that I have a close friend of the family who's a MC-130 Nav at Mildenhall. All of them have said the same thing: predetermined career, no escape, hope you like Florida or Cannon AFB.

Frankly, I''ve known quite a few navs who did extremely well in AFSOC. Because it is not dominated by fighter pilots.

AWACS, and more generally ACC? fuggitaboutit.

That's fine...most Navs do well in whatever airframe they go to. At least ACC has a fair amount of aircraft that you have the opportunity to either a. transfer to if needed or b. take a staff assignment to once you've met your last flying gate.

But then again, what do I know? I was only in the USAF longer than you have been on the flippin' planet.

Everybody knows that.

WTF are you kiddin' about why you wanted the screwtop geekmobile? Not me.
I guess its too late, because you've already done your dirty deal. But, you just hosed yourself. Again. I hope it turns out to be worth it.

<start rant>
One more time. Then, I'm gonna hush and let you auger in as you seem bound and determined to do. My experience has been that officers who make profound and long-lasting career decisions based on family considerations, usually end up losing their family and their career too.

Put another way, EVERYONE in a military family needs to be 100% committed and supportive of the guy in the uniform. That's why they have those bumper stickers that say, "Air Force Wife...the Toughest Job in the Air Force." Those ladies are the unsung heroes, and they are one of the reasons we have the world's best Air Force.

If you don't have one of those, then it's nut-cuttin' time. Choose. As long as you wear that uniform, you have a duty to the Nation that overrides family considerations. If family needs to come first, I suggest you consider another line of work and get the hell out of the way for some young tiger who can't get into flight school but who is willing to be totally committed to his mission, which is to fly and fight. Not be a support system for a needful family.
<end rant.>

This is where, respectfully, you are wrong sir. It appears that you are under the impression that I requested and got this assignment because my wife didn't want to move. That can't be farther from the truth. I'll spare you all the details as to why, as you know some of them, but there are others that just aren't anyone else's business but our own. The fact of the matter is this: I chose AWACS because of two things- 1. assignment and advancement opportunities for a NAV within the community (the community is getting top-heavy with senior officers) 2. quality of life for my family while I'm gone...assignment areas: Oklahoma City, Anchorage, Okinawa, Germany...all have better job opportunities, schools, general quality of life than say Clovis, New Mexico. And frankly, I WANT ELMENDORF!

Now there is one area where you are right...if it ever came where I had to choose between my family and my career, I will choose my family every day of the week. I took a vow before GOD to take care of my wife and family...I took a vow to the Constitution to uphold and defend it. I am in now way trying to blatantly belittle my obligations to my country...but God sits higher on my priority list than the US Constitution. Say what you will about my career being put in jeopardy due to my wife and the actions I've taken to keep my family intact. If that turns out to be the case, I have no problem with that and will have no regrets about it either. I am proud to serve my country, but I am prouder to be married to the woman I call my wife!
Besides, [hairGel] I'M A MAN...I'm 25!!;)

Again, I mean no disrespect sir. But please don't think or assume that I've run into this decision half-assed...because I've had the past year to talk to people, weigh my options, and discuss these options with my family (including my parents, BOTH of whom are retired Air Force OFFICERS)...and I had to make a choice. I choose the plane that best suits what I feel are my priorities...family life and assignment options. It just so happens that it gets me back up to Oklahoma at this juncture. As far as where I go from here, that's for me to decide.

Now, to some other people. I know I have a bad habit of setting myself up for ridicule over who I married and my situation...and I know that a lot of you make comments in good fun (that means you, Frank!)...hell, I even poke fun at myself for it too. But there are a few times where some people are stepping over the line on their comments. Like this one:

I was in radar in the USAF and knew a bunch of AWACS guys that are still in. I will warn them about this twerp.
Really? You're going to warn them about a guy whom you don't even know? Thanks.

Please, I know I'm one of the black sheep on this board, but can there be self-restraint on some of the snide remarks posted about my wife?

[/RANT]:rolleyes:

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2008, 12:06 PM
stormchaser - in fairness to you, its easy for a retired colonel to use his hindsight to give you such advice

i'm sure he was a wet behind the ears 2LT once as well - he hasnt ALWAYS known EVERYTHING - ;)

make your own decisions, its your life, your career

however, you've been given some pretty heady advice - its yours to take and do with it as you choose

but if you constantly post it, you're going to get the grief you always do

and get a dress uniform that fits!

SoonerStormchaser
1/6/2008, 12:12 PM
stormchaser - in fairness to you, its easy for a retired colonel to use his hindsight to give you such advice

i'm sure he was a wet behind the ears 2LT once as well - he hasnt ALWAYS known EVERYTHING - ;)

make your own decisions, its your life, your career

however, you've been given some pretty heady advice - its yours to take and do with it as you choose

but if you constantly post it, you're going to get the grief you always do

and get a dress uniform that fits!

I know...and I'm not trying to be obstinate or a know-it-all. And I've taken heed to what he's been telling me...but I've gotta take in what I know to be true as well, hence my decision.

I'm working on the uniform thingy...to no avail. Maybe the wife'll fatten me up once I move back home ;)

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2008, 12:31 PM
go find a tailor. Maybe you can find one like Joey Tribiani's :D

OCUDad
1/6/2008, 12:43 PM
In the midst of all this free advice, has anyone yet said "Good luck, Stormchaser, here's to a successful career"? If not, let me be the first.

And remember, free advice is worth every penny you paid for it. :)

SoonerStormchaser
1/6/2008, 12:44 PM
I did...but they can't shorten or alter the *** section. I just need to grow an ***! ;) :eek:

sanantoniosooner
1/6/2008, 12:46 PM
I did...but they can't shorten or alter the *** section. I just need to grow an ***! ;) :eek:
Don't sell yourself short.

you're ALL ***;)

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2008, 01:15 PM
stuff the back of your underwear with toilet paper!

Mongo
1/6/2008, 01:29 PM
stuff the back of your underwear with toilet paper!

dont you do that to the front of yours?

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2008, 01:31 PM
yep, I recommend 2 ply Charmin for the front. That cheap stuff chafes.

SoonerStormchaser
1/6/2008, 01:37 PM
Don't sell yourself short.

you're ALL ***;)

You know I REALLY hate you guys!! ;) :P :rolleyes:

Petro-Sooner
1/6/2008, 01:43 PM
:pop: :twinkies:

Okla-homey
1/6/2008, 02:23 PM
Now there is one area where you are right...if it ever came where I had to choose between my family and my career, I will choose my family every day of the week. I took a vow before GOD to take care of my wife and family...I took a vow to the Constitution to uphold and defend it. I am in now way trying to blatantly belittle my obligations to my country...but God sits higher on my priority list than the US Constitution. Say what you will about my career being put in jeopardy due to my wife and the actions I've taken to keep my family intact. If that turns out to be the case, I have no problem with that and will have no regrets about it either. I am proud to serve my country, but I am prouder to be married to the woman I call my wife!
Besides, I'M A MAN...I'm 25!!

Not to lawyer you in this slick, but...how in the name of even the Flying Spaghetti Monster can your oath, also a vow taken before God I might add, and if memory serves before your nuptials, in which you swore to die in your Nation's service if need be, NOT mean you promised to put the AF before you or your family?

With all due respect, for generations of professional officers in all branches, the customary and accepted priorities are God, Country, Family, Self. I also believe you can do your duty to God without shorting your chosen profession. OTOH, it's virtually impossible to put your family and personal preferences first before Big Blue and live up to your military obligations.

All I'm saying is this. If for you the family comes first, then you need to take off the uniform at your earliest opportunity and get a civilian job. This is a free country, we have an all volunteer military and not everyone is up to putting military duty first.

That is why people who make such sacrifices are regarded higher by our society than other men. I still consider myself an Air Force officer and will until they put me in the ground. Frankly, that's why the money they send me every month is legally called retired pay, and not a pension. Thus, morally, intellectually and legally, I'm still a stakeholder bub. As such, I'm still aghast at the fact you whined to be washed back a class, IN WARTIME, for personal convenience. You need to get your priorities straight or you may someday get yourself or someone killed. I'm out.

SoonerStormchaser
1/6/2008, 04:01 PM
You think I whined to be washed back a class, sir? Where did you hear that? Cause I sure as hell didn't tell you! I got washed back a class cause I had a few difficulties with the EWO portion of the curriculum. I have not bitched or whined throughout this entire ordeal. Does my flight commander know what's been going on in my personal life regarding my family? You bet he does, I have a responsibility to tell him. And if they had MANDATED that I would have to go to Hurlburt to take that AC-130 slot, then I would've said "YES SIR," gone to Hurlburt and strove to be the best goddamn gunship Nav there ever was!

And you can't convince me for one minute that you're so gung-ho about being in the military that you'd sacrifice your wife and children so you could wear that uniform. THAT was the point I was trying to make. Me not getting AWACS wouldn't have meant that I would lose my family. Would it have put strain on us? Hell yes. But I still would have found a way to make it work. I simply made a request to my commander, stated why I was making that request, and WE worked on a way to make it happen...and everyone was satisfied with the end result...I got what I wanted, the AC guy got what he wanted...his C-130 slot to the Rock is going to someone who wants it.

I busted my *** for the past 18 months to get where I'm at...and I'm gonna continue to bust my *** for however long I choose to stay in to be the best at what I do. And for you to think that I'm *****footing and pouting my way to get where I am at is downright insulting sir!

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2008, 04:30 PM
you ever go commando under that flight suit?

SoonerGirl06
1/6/2008, 04:38 PM
Is that part of the "Don't Ask-Don't Tell" policy?

Mongo
1/6/2008, 04:41 PM
The only thing that I have been a part of military wise was one year during Halloween, I dressed up like a commando. Face paint and all. I ran to the next house to trick or treat and I was close lined by a wire that was supporting a freshly planted tree.

IT SUCKED

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2008, 04:41 PM
only if another man is going commando with him in his flight suit. I think.

SoonerGirl06
1/6/2008, 04:42 PM
You're not considering it, are you... what with that big rooster of yours and all?

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2008, 04:43 PM
The only thing that I have been a part of military wise was last year during Halloween, I dressed up like a commando. Face paint and all. I ran to the next house to trick or treat and I was close lined by a wire that was supporting a freshly planted tree.

IT SUCKED

ouch

Jerk
1/6/2008, 04:48 PM
SSC, congrats. You have made it a lot further than I did..

I went through college not knowing what I wanted to do in life, and got a 3.29gpa with a basket weaving degree. Then I decided to apply for OTS. I figured the private pilot's license would help. I passed all of their tests and had 10/20 eyesight. Nope. They did not want me. I'm a total AF reject, and they would not disclose why. So, I drive a friggin' truck for a living. It's alright. It beats working in an office. But every time I look UP and see one of those lawn darts flying over, I think of what could have been if I had not spent my youth drinking myself into oblivioun. I got my private pilot's license from OU's Dept. of Aviation. My biggest regret is not sticking to it. So, you see, you're doing fine, and a hell of a lot better than I could ever do.

ps- even though I made the minimum score on the math portion of the AFOQT (or whatever it was called) I think that's why they said "no thanks"

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2008, 04:53 PM
what Jerk said.

Don't listen to anything I have to say about military careers. I was in ROTC for a few years but due to my lack of maturity and self dicipline they agreed that a career in the Army was not for me. Hell, I wasn't even a good soldier in the Nat'l Guard.

mdklatt
1/6/2008, 05:01 PM
I got my private pilot's license from OU's Dept. of Aviation.

Hmmm...I bet I know you.

Not in that way, you pervs.

Jerk
1/6/2008, 05:03 PM
Hmmm...I bet I know you.

Not in that way, you pervs.

Got it in the fall of 1995. Scott Ely was my CFI. I was a skinny kid with long blond hair.

mdklatt
1/6/2008, 05:07 PM
Got it in the fall of 1995. Scott Ely was my CFI. I was a skinny kid with long blond hair.

Ely was my CFI for Commercial, fall of '96.

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2008, 05:08 PM
I was a skinny kid with long blond hair.

:hot:

Jerk
1/6/2008, 05:09 PM
Ely was my CFI for Commercial, fall of '96.
No sh**? Was he still loading up on that cologne?

There was no escape in those Piper Traumahawks.

mdklatt
1/6/2008, 05:12 PM
No sh**? Was he still loading up on that cologne?

There was no escape in those Piper Traumahawks.

There's a little more room in a Cherokee. :texan:

Cologne's not a bad thing when you have all those windows and no A/C. That was preferable to Lance Busby's tobaccy chewin' in any case.

You better fly smooth so I don't get dip juice all over my white shirt. :D

Chuck Bao
1/6/2008, 05:14 PM
I say congrats on the new job assignment. Good luck and thanks for your commitment to protect our country.

SoonerStormchaser
1/6/2008, 05:17 PM
SSC, congrats. You have made it a lot further than I did..

I went through college not knowing what I wanted to do in life, and got a 3.29gpa with a basket weaving degree. Then I decided to apply for OTS. I figured the private pilot's license would help. I passed all of their tests and had 10/20 eyesight. Nope. They did not want me. I'm a total AF reject, and they would not disclose why. So, I drive a friggin' truck for a living. It's alright. It beats working in an office. But every time I look UP and see one of those lawn darts flying over, I think of what could have been if I had not spent my youth drinking myself into oblivioun. I got my private pilot's license from OU's Dept. of Aviation. My biggest regret is not sticking to it. So, you see, you're doing fine, and a hell of a lot better than I could ever do.

ps- even though I made the minimum score on the math portion of the AFOQT (or whatever it was called) I think that's why they said "no thanks"

Thanks...ya Jerk:O . I dunno about the math portion...but they rate you on 5 areas: pilot, navigator, academic-aptitude, verbal and quantitative. Mine were pilot- 92 (percentile), nav- 91, academic- 86, verbal- 80, quantitative- 78. The average for most OTS classes is in the mid-50's to low 60's.

Turd_Ferguson
1/6/2008, 05:52 PM
:mack:Heh! (http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=MP3S&type=Movies&movie=Top_Gun&quote=rubberdg.txt&file=rubberdg.mp3)

Jerk
1/6/2008, 05:57 PM
There's a little more room in a Cherokee. :texan:

Cologne's not a bad thing when you have all those windows and no A/C. That was preferable to Lance Busby's tobaccy chewin' in any case.

You better fly smooth so I don't get dip juice all over my white shirt. :D

We're you there in the fall of 95?

mdklatt
1/6/2008, 06:01 PM
We're you there in the fall of 95?

Yep. Fall '92 through Spring '97.

OCUDad
1/6/2008, 06:04 PM
I didn't get the bald gene... I got the fat one :( Perhaps the two of you can arrange some sort of transplant. :rolleyes:

Jerk
1/6/2008, 07:00 PM
Yep. Fall '92 through Spring '97.

Well, if you remember a goofy kid who drove a white Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was me!

mdklatt
1/6/2008, 07:02 PM
Well, if you remember a goofy kid who drove a white Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was me!

Nope!

I was too good to hang out with the primary students by then, anyway. :D

SoonerStormchaser
1/6/2008, 07:03 PM
Perhaps the two of you can arrange some sort of transplant. :rolleyes:
No thanks...the wife's already offered. :D