PDA

View Full Version : IMO, anybody who does not think this was a great year....

Soonerus
1/5/2008, 03:34 AM
and anybody who is questioning our coaches,....is an arse !!!

SoonerGirl06
1/5/2008, 03:40 AM
I agree.

We should be proud of the teams accomplishments and thankful that our year didn't start out like Michigans.

Cheerin' 4 OU
1/5/2008, 04:41 AM
Just sticking my noob head into this thread to agree with Rus.

It's been a wonderful season and even though we've been disappointed a few times, I'd not trade this season for ...well, Michigan's season, or Notre Dame's season, or anyone else's.

Redgiant2
1/5/2008, 04:56 AM
Jugs of kool-aid all around!!!

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 06:48 AM
I aint an arse , Im a Dik ;)

RedstickSooner
1/5/2008, 06:52 AM
The loss to Colorado kept this from being a "great" year. I dunno how you can argue differently -- that was a *bad* loss.

We ended with a great record, but playing so far below our ability in that game made for a weak sauce season, IMHO.

C'mon. This is college football. We ain't got a playoff -- therefore, each game is a single-elimination contest. And the Beefaloes eliminated our sorry butts to open Big-12 play.

Sure, it was the Season of a Million Upsets, but that's not our problem. We didn't make all those other highly ranked teams lose. (Well, okay, so we *did* make one of 'em lose by beating 'em twice.)

We were three points away from a great season. Er, four, I mean. :)

oupride
1/5/2008, 08:21 AM
Are you kidding me??? This was a FANTASTIC SEASON!

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2008, 10:35 AM
Maybe some of you should look back over Bob's history here.

This was an AVERAGE season.

SwitzerFan
1/5/2008, 10:39 AM
This thread reminds me of a Sat Night Live skit.... Lowered Expectations. Yeah our season was a great year if we were anyone but Sooners. When the King was talking about Champions, he stated that at Oklahoma "We invented it!" That being said the bar should be higher. As Sooners it was an ok year.

zeke
1/5/2008, 10:49 AM
Good year. Not great but much better than ok.

Next year will be better.

SwitzerFan
1/5/2008, 11:04 AM
Good year. Not great but much better than ok.

Next year will be better.

Zeke I agree. What I meant by ok was not great. I am not saying our year stunk it just wasn't to the level a Sooner should attain.

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 11:05 AM
I sorry Folks
Naw Not really I dont give a shat what ya think
During a season that sees a 2 lose team go to the Big game
we Lost 3
I say aint Bad
I wanted an expected 14 -0
Guees what didnt Happen
Still My Sooners
So Kissmyass and sianornia
Our season succked
NOT ! :D :cool:

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2008, 11:11 AM
Vet, have you ever considered being a poet?

OUAndy1807
1/5/2008, 11:13 AM
I sorry Folks
we Lost 3
I say aint Bad
Guees what didnt Happen
Still My Sooners
Our season succked
wait, what?

tulsaoilerfan
1/5/2008, 11:21 AM
Big 12 championship was nice, but i'm tired of the bowl game flame outs; we had the same record as last year, but i thought last year's team over achieved big time while this year's team underachieved in 2 of the 3 losses

PLaw
1/5/2008, 11:21 AM

I agree and I'm not drinking the Kool Aid.

With so many questions in August, the coaches and players did a great job winning yet another Big 12 championship. If a Big 12 championship and beating texass isn't good enough for you, then kma.

Sure, we all wanted a big bowl win and national championship, but missing those goals shouldn't cover over all that was accomplished with a RS-Fr QB; two, first time starting LB's; and young players on the DL.

Now, next year . . .

BOOMER

SoonerGirl06
1/5/2008, 11:24 AM
wait, what?

Let me interpret for you:

I sorry Folks
we Lost 3
I say aint Bad
Guees what didnt Happen
Still My Sooners
Our season succked

I don't really give a bowel movement what you think
We only lost 3 games in a season that saw a team that lost only 2 go to the MNC.
That isn't bad,
I wanted and expected a 14-0 season
And guess what- it didn't happen
Still, they are my Sooners
So kiss my rectal orifice
Our season did not suck
:D :cool:

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2008, 11:32 AM
Let me interpret for you:

I don't really give a bowel movement what you think
We only lost 3 games in a season that saw a team that lost only 2 go to the MNC.
That isn't bad,
I wanted and expected a 14-0 season
And guess what- it didn't happen
Still, they are my Sooners
So kiss my rectal orifice
Our season did not suck
:D :cool:

Wow..Your good.

LittleWingSooner
1/5/2008, 11:48 AM
Good year, not a great year. We should expect better at Oklahoma. We aren't Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma State, or Texas where 3 loss seasons are considered great seasons.

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 11:54 AM
Vet, have you ever considered being a poet?
Naw but the Big feet gave me away ;)

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 11:59 AM
Wow..Your good.
Naw she s Great !

Petro-Sooner
1/5/2008, 12:01 PM
Josh Heuple should be FIRED!!!

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 12:02 PM
wait, what?
THAT WAS PRETTY MUCH STRA8 UP WASNT IT .?;)

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 12:04 PM
Josh Heuple should be FIRED!!!
I hope and pray you for got the winky :mad:

SoonerGirl06
1/5/2008, 12:08 PM
Good year, not a great year. We should expect better at Oklahoma. We aren't Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma State, or Texas where 3 loss seasons are considered great seasons.

I just don't get posts/opinions like this. I really, truly don't.

Sco
1/5/2008, 12:13 PM
This thread reminds me of a Sat Night Live skit.... Lowered Expectations.

I believe you mean MAD TV.

Hey - this year was better than it could have been! We were in a very similar place in 2005 with a frosh QB...

8-4 < 11-3
No Big XII Champs < Big XII Champs
Texas wins < We dominate

LittleWingSooner
1/5/2008, 12:16 PM
I just don't get posts/opinions like this. I really, truly don't.

Okay we should expect losing seasons and be happy with winning seasons. That's a great attitude to have for a program that's won 41 conference championships and 7 national championships, and most of that in the last 63 years.

SoonerGirl06
1/5/2008, 12:24 PM
Okay we should expect losing seasons and be happy with winning seasons. That's a great attitude to have for a program that's won 41 conference championships and 7 national championships, and most of that in the last 63 years.

Get your panties out of a wad and don't get snippy with me.

I didn't say that we should expect losing seasons. On the contrary, I just don't get how some fans expect perfect seasons each and every year. It's just not possible.

Nor is it possible to play a perfect game each and every time you play.

LittleWingSooner
1/5/2008, 12:36 PM
Get your panties out of a wad and don't get snippy with me.

I didn't say that we should expect losing seasons. On the contrary, I just don't get how some fans expect perfect seasons each and every year. It's just not possible.

Nor is it possible to play a perfect game each and every time you play.

Did I say we should have a perfect season ever year? No. I said 3 loss seasons aren't great years.

SoonerGirl06
1/5/2008, 12:58 PM
Did I say we should have a perfect season ever year? No. I said 3 loss seasons aren't great years.

Why is it I have a feeling you wouldn't be happy with a 2 loss season or even a one loss season?

There are teams out there that would LOVE having only 3 losses in a season. We should consider ourselves fortunate that we have a program, university, alumni that provide us that opportunity, not gripe and moan about it.

LittleWingSooner
1/5/2008, 01:06 PM
Why is it I have a feeling you wouldn't be happy with a 2 loss season or even a one loss season?

There are teams out there that would LOVE having only 3 losses in a season. We should consider ourselves fortunate that we have a program, university, alumni that provide us that opportunity, not gripe and moan about it.

I would be happy if we won against WVU by 1. We had a good season. Not a great one.

Petro-Sooner
1/5/2008, 02:10 PM
I hope and pray you for got the winky :mad:

:texan:

OUmillenium
1/5/2008, 02:19 PM
A 3 loss Sooner football season will never be great.

Great game against UT.
Great whompin of lOSUr.
2 Great poundings of Mizzou.

Great to be the first Big 12 back-to-back champs.

But not a great season, especially after the azz whoopin we received in the season ending bowl game.

Socrefbek
1/5/2008, 06:12 PM
I took a look back at all of the seasons since 1940 and 33 times (50%) were seasons with 3 or more losses. Therefore, 34 seasons were 2 or less losses. I think that it is fair to say for OU 3 losses is an average at best season and certainly does not qualify as great.

:pop:

arlington
1/5/2008, 06:18 PM
I must be an *** then cuz this year wasnt much fun at all..Yep how can i be upset that my vastly more talented team blew a 17 point second half lead to a 7 loss team and learned so much about the defeat they almost topped it with a bigger pending disaster in Ames, Ia..I really enjoyed the game in Lubbock, the one where my talented and highly paid coaches thought our backup QB should just keep winging it while my 3rd string differencemaker at RB was averaging 8 yards a carry..And after waiting for a month, i loved that sleepwalking performance in another Bowl Game against an actual"good"team, another conference champ..

The sad thing is i dont care nearly as much about the wins as I do the team looks like they care..I hate LSU, but even in the games they lost, that team played there asses off EVERY week, and had alot more injuries than our team..I loved watching the passion that KU and Mizzou played with all year..

Anyone satisfied with what every commentator seems to think is the most talented team in the country losing the games they did and the way they did and usually playing with ZERO passion, as if there were 300 fans in the stands at a JUCO game, needs to get a clue..

PLaw
1/5/2008, 06:28 PM
I took a look back at all of the seasons since 1940 and 33 times (50%) were seasons with 3 or more losses. Therefore, 34 seasons were 2 or less losses. I think that it is fair to say for OU 3 losses is an average at best season and certainly does not qualify as great.

:pop:

Interesting data. How many times in those 67 years did we start a Freshman QB? Just askin'.

BOOMER

Jack T.
1/5/2008, 06:28 PM
Lemme check. . .yup, I'm an @$$.

IMO, anybody who thinks this was a good year. . .is a fan who is satisfied with mediocrity, and mediocrity is not Oklahoma Football.

Soonerus
1/5/2008, 06:30 PM
Big XII Championship has now become mediocre...geeezzz....

Redgiant2
1/5/2008, 06:40 PM
Big XII Championship has now become mediocre...geeezzz....
When you field a team that has the fundamentals and lack of discipline these guys have you can bet your *** it is. If getting man-hammered by an interim head coach to the tune of over 500 yards because of poor fundamentals is your idea of greatness there's really not much left to say to you.

Soonerus
1/5/2008, 06:44 PM
When you field a team that has the fundamentals and lack of discipline these guys have you can bet your *** it is. If getting man-hammered by an interim head coach to the tune of over 500 yards because of poor fundamentals is your idea of greatness there's really not much left to say to you.

If you would take time to read, I said nothing about the Fiesta Bowl being a great game for OU....

LittleWingSooner
1/5/2008, 06:46 PM
Interesting data. How many times in those 67 years did we start a Freshman QB? Just askin'.

Off the top of my head twice. 1985 and 2007. Cale Gundy started as a freshman didn't he? That would have been around 1990.

LittleWingSooner
1/5/2008, 06:48 PM
oops double post

KC//CRIMSON
1/5/2008, 06:50 PM
Nothing like pumping sunshine after yet another BCS bowl blowout. Gawd I feel so much better. Yay! we beat Texas!

Soonerus
1/5/2008, 06:53 PM
Hey, I said IMO....you guys can sit around and cry all year if you want...this season as a body of work is a great year...now let's go win the MNC in 2008...

KC//CRIMSON
1/5/2008, 06:59 PM
Hey, I said IMO....you guys can sit around and cry all year if you want...this season as a body of work is a great year...now let's go win the MNC in 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007, 2008...

perfect.

jduggle
1/5/2008, 07:08 PM
I'm with you KC...here on the east coast there are no sympathetic OU rah rah's....there are a lot of Big East fans who laugh when you say you're from Oklahoma. The only games these people have seen are the BCS games...and OU has looked overrated. Which frankly, is probably accurate. Any team that gives up over 40 points in 3 of 4 bowl games does not have a good defense. There are no excuses period.

This team was young and streaky but was not very good on defense. Again....not very good on defense.

rubyspirit
1/6/2008, 01:31 PM
A blow-out in the last game of the year leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially the 4th time in a row!

You're tripping!

sanantoniosooner
1/6/2008, 01:47 PM
A blow-out in the last game of the year leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially the 4th time in a row!

You're tripping!
I'm getting tired of pinheads who think we've lost 4 bowl games in a row.

rubyspirit
1/6/2008, 01:48 PM
I'm getting tired of pinheads who think we've lost 4 bowl games in a row.
4 BCS games in a row, pinhead. The Holiday bowl was nice, but its not the same.

sanantoniosooner
1/6/2008, 01:50 PM
4 BCS games in a row, pinhead. The Holiday bowl was nice, but its not the same.
If your are going to rip the program, at least get your facts straight nancy.

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2008, 02:02 PM
I think it was a good year, not great. When it comes to BCS Bowls and we do nothing but play with a lack of passion and do not seem to know what we are doing, then something needs to be looked at.

Yes, the players are at fault to a point. The last 3 BCS Bowl games we have played in and have allowed 55, 43, and 48 points, respectively, then some of the coaches need to be looked at because not every player from this years team played in all of them.

My Point...

How can the OU football team go through the season looking like a juggernaut only to face a somewhat inferior talented team, and get embarrassed? Within the month lay off did the players forget how to play with passion? Did they forget the fundamentals that got them to a D-1A school like OU?

Why can't the coaching staff put together a scheme for the opposing team? The coaching staff does get film of their opponent, don't they? How can we be prepared for the 13 regular season games, yet not the BCS Bowl games?

Point being, something has to be looked at, and it starts with the coaching staff. However, I do think it was another good season.

birddog
1/6/2008, 02:04 PM
good to have you back, sas.

usmc-sooner
1/6/2008, 02:04 PM
my prediction we go undefeated next year win the B12, then lose to Marshall in our BCS game, then James Hale and his camp will remind us of how good we are.

soonermix
1/6/2008, 02:13 PM
the real difference in this being a good year and a great year are the embarrassing losses. winning a championship is a good year probably a really good year. we win a lot of those. i am proud of our team. when we overachieve that qualifies as a great year when we do above and beyond what we all thought we could do. when we win national championships those are special years.

so to recap and especially in bowl games ending a season on a loss (an embarassing one at that) can't be a great year. yes a good year in which we can build upon and go on to bigger and better things yes but great it was not.

The Maestro
1/6/2008, 03:10 PM
This is going to be the most interesting debate of the off season.

Rus, I certainly respect your opinion. You talk about the season as a body of work. Okay, let's look at the body.

We crushed North Texas and Utah State. Did either team win more than one game? Expected. But at least we did not start the season with a slow start.

The blowout over Miami is my highlight. Yes, they sucked, but as a kid growing up in my teenage years in the mid-80's it certainly felt great to kill them.

For me personally, the pain in the second half of Colorado overrides any of the pleasure of our wins. Call me negative Nelly, but that was a bad Colorado team, a 17 point lead, and we fought the whole rest of the season to recover. We would still be playing for the title with the loss at Texas Tech...not saying after the Fiesta Bowl I think we were championship material, but just sayin'. Those last 28 minutes at Colorado were arguably the low point in the Stoops era. Never has a team that had been looking so good and dominant on both sides of the ball fallen apart against such a weak opponent. The offense stalling, the turnovers, the lack of defense stepping up and it ended on the last play of the game.

Texas was a good win, but we were a lot better than a touchdown win over Texas. Our defense didn't play so great in that win, but DeMarco made the highlight of the year on offense in that game. As bad as Texas was all season, our win by 7 was less than impressive.

The rest of league play? Iowa State? Bad and boring. Texas A&M? Baylor? Wins, but nothing special or memorable. Texas Tech? Disappointing. Clearly the highlights were OSU and the two wins over Missouri, highlighted by the championship.

You can brag about our conference title and I am glad we won it, but it is the first time we have gone to the Big 12 title game with two losses in conference. Most years with two conference losses we would not have been there.

And then losing by 20 in the bowl game and giving up 48 points was a real bad ending. It sucked. It made us question this team to some degree.

Injuries were brutal. DeMarcus's arrest was negative news in the last week. Having Malcolm, DeMarco and Reggie would have been nice. Having Lendy and DeMarcus sucked, too.

11-3 certainly sounds great. It is not as good as last year's 11-3 because of the Oregon debacle and overcoming the Bomar situation.

And don't give me the freshman QB thing. Lots of teams rely on freshman these days and Sam was mature beyond his years and a redshirt freshman. if he wasn't good enough he wouldn't have been in there. He played great and I cannot wait for his career to keep up. But acting like losing to Colorado is excusable cause Sam was a freshman is a weak argument.

We won the Big 12, beat Texas, beat Miami and beat Missouri when they were number one. Those are the highlights.

But we lost three times...all three times favored significantly over our opponent and getting blown out in one of those games.

Offense is fine and moving in the right direction. Defense needs to not have lapses where we look like Swiss cheese.

Goodbye, 2007.