PDA

View Full Version : McGuinness junior prospect Daniel Orton

SOONER STEAKER
1/4/2008, 11:06 PM
Tonight, Bishop McGuinness opened up there new gym and Coach Billy Donovan from Florida was in town to watch Orton play agaisnt Tulsa Union. Orton shatters the backboard with :54 seconds left in the game. BM wins 60-50 as the game was callled agfterthe shattering.

My friend who sat behind, said Donovan couldn't beleive what he saw.

I hope OU is on this kid, he's 6'10" and weighs 225. Daniel's step brother, Terrance Crawford played at Okie State.

Does anyone know if Capel is recruitg this kid?

Bruiser53
1/4/2008, 11:19 PM
I was at the game, it was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen. I never thought I would witness that live, much less at a high school game.

Orten is a consensus top 10 prospect in the Juinor class from the state of Oklahoma. There is no doubt Caple is recruiting him. The thing is is that he can go wherever he wants in the country. He's got the biggest wingspan I've ever seen, and he averages like 8 blocks a game, but he plays lazy and has a long way to go offensively

Ash
1/4/2008, 11:39 PM
OU has some big time competition for this guy, not just Florida.

SOONER STEAKER
1/4/2008, 11:43 PM
Daniel does play lazy, but in summer ball, I've been told he runs the court well. If you bring the ball down the lane, he swats it into the stands or into the gym wall.

Frozen Sooner
1/5/2008, 12:40 AM
Who's the gigantic kid from Lawton we've already got a commitment from?

Rhino
1/5/2008, 12:53 AM
We have a shot, but he's still a national recruit. Our assistant coach Oronde Taliaferro is his uncle, so I know he's familiar with our program. He comes to a lot of OU home games and plays pickup with some of our players.

Who's the gigantic kid from Lawton we've already got a commitment from? And Orton has a good relationship with our 2009 verbal commitment Kyle Hardrick (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=48884). He was from Lawton, but transferred to Norman just over a year ago. He's just coming off knee surgery, but looks like he's back at full speed. He had 12 points and 20 rebounds in a game last week.

OSUAggie
1/5/2008, 01:25 AM
Our assistant coach Oronde Taliaferro is his uncle

Not that it matters, but I thought they were cousins... ?

And steaker, despite Crawford, we're not in great shape with Orton.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/5/2008, 01:41 AM
I saw Orton and Bishop McG in the 4A finals against Roland last March and Orton was quite a stud as a sophomore.
BTW, Capel and his former assistant, Rod Barnes, was at that game and they were sitting on the press table behind one basket. Presumably to see Orton.

SOONER STEAKER
1/5/2008, 04:04 AM
OSUaggie, Why would a good kid like Orton want to go play for a school whose players are so stupid they try to get into bars wth fake ID's. With Shawn, the apple didn't fall far from daddies tree.

The word aound BM is that it's between Ohio State & Florida. But I'm hoping the new and improved OU basketball team will attract Orton to OU.

Boomer

Frozen Sooner
1/5/2008, 04:17 AM
Why would a good kid like Orton want to go play for a school whose players are so stupid they try to get into bars wth fake ID's. With Shawn, the apple didn't fa from daddies tree.

Um, you referring to Lawrence MacKenzie, Drew Lavender, and Brandon Foust trying to get into the Woodshed a few years back?

SOONER STEAKER
1/5/2008, 04:21 AM
corrected.

NO, talking about the OSU players. Can't think of there names though. Seems like the bar was Tumbleweeds or something like that. You remember, they had 3 arrest in like 2 moths?

Frozen Sooner
1/5/2008, 04:23 AM
Ah. Gotcha. Sure wish the knucklehead crew had talked to me before trying the 'Shed. I've seen 28-year-olds get denied there because the bouncer didn't believe their ID. Place is TIGHT.

sooner518
1/5/2008, 10:21 AM
I hope OU is on this kid, he's 6'10" and weighs 225.

Id love to see video of this play, or just video of this kid at all. Any links?

EDIT - Nevermind, I found one on the Rivals board. And heres video of the backboard shattering: http://www.newsok.com/video/brightcove/?bctid=1366496459&bclid=1111621425

His Rivals page lists him at 260, but he looks bigger than that to me.

SOONER STEAKER
1/5/2008, 12:12 PM
BM program has him listed at 225, he looks 260 though. The kid is thick isn't he.

Jeopardude
1/5/2008, 12:45 PM
Id love to see video of this play, or just video of this kid at all. Any links?

EDIT - Nevermind, I found one on the Rivals board. And heres video of the backboard shattering: http://www.newsok.com/video/brightcove/?bctid=1366496459&bclid=1111621425

His Rivals page lists him at 260, but he looks bigger than that to me.

I like how he shatters the board on a MISSED dunk. :D

OUmillenium
1/5/2008, 02:39 PM
He is big and strong. Not much on offense yet. Great at clogging the lane and a great shot blocker.

They beat us in the semis of the Tournament of Champions over Christmas break.

OU and OSU had coaches at the game watching him.

Word is Orton is Terrance Crawford (Bishop Mac and OSU) 's step brother so that would be a strong OSU connection. Thank goodness they suck right now and no legit player would want to play for drunk jr.

Rhino
1/5/2008, 03:16 PM
Not that it matters, but I thought they were cousins... ? I've heard both.

And steaker, despite Crawford, we're not in great shape with Orton. Yep. I've heard Crawford isn't a very big fan of Sean.

Hella Sideburns
1/5/2008, 03:33 PM
Orton doesn't do much offensively, but he can dominate on that end at the high school level whenever he's motivated. If you saw the ToC championship game, he got ****ed off at the end of the game against East Central and started pulling down offensive rebounds and hitting hook shots.

Still, he finished with like eight points and eight rebounds, so he's definitely a project. Nothing gets to the rim when he's down there, though. I'd love to see him next to (or replacing) Blake.

ucosooner
1/7/2008, 04:27 PM
I was at that game, and was not impressed at all. I mean if Billy Donovan had been to see me play ball in high school, I would have busted my butt so he could see me play my best. I left that game thinking this kid, might, play ball at UCO. I would not want him at OU. Too lazy and arrogant.

Ash
1/7/2008, 04:45 PM
I was at that game, and was not impressed at all. I mean if Billy Donovan had been to see me play ball in high school, I would have busted my butt so he could see me play my best. I left that game thinking this kid, might, play ball at UCO. I would not want him at OU. Too lazy and arrogant.

Maybe. I have a hard time taking your opinion more seriously than all the D-1 coaches that think this guy has a lot of upside.

ucosooner
1/8/2008, 09:09 AM
Upside doesn't mean anything if he doesn't want it bad enough. How many times do we hear about kids having potential, and not living up to that because they don't want to work for it? Then they are a distant memory, a "Where Are They Now," trivia question. I'm just saying that for all the hype I've heard, I didn't see any of that. So he shattered a backboard. Any kid with his size could have done that. They are reinforced goals like you see in college and the NBA. Was it a cool visual? Yeah. But it has nothing to do with how he plays ball.

birddog
1/9/2008, 09:05 PM
^^^^^why do you hate big country?

SOONER STEAKER
1/10/2008, 10:40 PM
Went to the McGuinness toruney tonight and danny Manning of KU was in the stands watchig Orton. he scored 13 pts ith 5 blocks in 3 quarters vs. Norman North.

BM was ahead after 3 quarters, 42-6. NN might be the worst 6A team in history.

ucosooner
1/11/2008, 02:54 PM
^^^^^why do you hate big country?

I don't hate. I just get tired of of seeing these guys come around with this cockiness and this attitude that they don't have to work for anything. That if someone tells them they're so great, then they are. I like to see people like Hollis Price. Great kid, good values, hard worker, always played hard no matter what, and was humble about it. Throw in Najera. One of the hardest playing guys I've seen, and he's in the NBA, and I think gets a lot of respect for his play. Some people just don't seem to know how to work for anything, and then they think they should be handed the world.