PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got GEICO auto insurance?

TUSooner
1/4/2008, 05:12 PM
How is it?
Allstate is bleeding me dry, especially since, as of 10:00 AM, I have 2 teenaged drivers on the policy. :( :( :(

And this is after almiost 30 years of Allstate !

soonerhubs
1/4/2008, 05:19 PM
I have Geico, it's cheap, but I can't vouch for the service. (Knocks on wood.)

mdklatt
1/4/2008, 05:19 PM
Did you look at Progressive? Their rates are even lower than Geico (for me anyway). I've had one comprehensive claim (broken window), and was in an accident where the at-fault driver also had Progressive, and had no problems with them.

1stTimeCaller
1/4/2008, 05:20 PM
I had them for a few years and I think I had one claim. It was fairly easy and I liked them but I switched to Progressive in '06.

KC//CRIMSON
1/4/2008, 05:23 PM
How is it?
Allstate is bleeding me dry, especially since, as of 10:00 AM, I have 2 teenaged drivers on the policy. :( :( :(

I used them in the past, but once I added my car insurance to my home insurance it dropped so low that Geico couldn't even begin to beat it.

Look into doing that. Especially if you have multiple cars you can put on it.

sooner_born_1960
1/4/2008, 05:25 PM
You need to look into emancipating your minors.

mdklatt
1/4/2008, 05:38 PM

If he'd done less of that 16 years ago he wouldn't have this problem.

sanantoniosooner
1/4/2008, 05:40 PM
I will vouch for Progressive. I had two accidents that were both my fault and they still treated me well and handled things VERY quickly.

TUSooner
1/4/2008, 05:44 PM
I can see I've gotten all I'm going to get from this thread. :rolleyes: :D
GEICO is saving me more than 50% for the same coverage. I don't love Allstate enough to pay them $3600 (or so) a year more than GEICO charges.

mdklatt
1/4/2008, 05:52 PM
I don't love Allstate enough to pay them $3600 (or so) a year more than GEICO charges.

:eek:

At first I though this said you were paying Allstate $3600 a year total, and I thought that was outrageous. Allstate would cost you $3600 more?!?! **** me. Do your children drive Lamborghinis or something?

TUSooner
1/4/2008, 06:04 PM

At first I though this said you were paying Allstate $3600 a year total, and I thought that was outrageous. Allstate would cost you $3600 more?!?! **** me. Do your children drive Lamborghinis or something?

Allstate would charge me more that 3800 for 6 months, GEICO a little less than 1900 for 6. And the most valuable car we have is 2007 Camry!

I asked the GEICO guy how they could cost so much less, and I was waiting for him to say, "Simple - we never pay claims!" He just said they don't have a bad loss history in Louisana (probly because they never pay claims) :rolleyes:

The Allstate lady mumbled something about "inferior product" but she was really half-hearted about it, good soul that she is. :)

I feel like I won a prize.

PS - Louisiana has ridiculous rates. One more reason I'm job hunting in Oklahoma.

ric311
1/4/2008, 07:39 PM
I was in an accident about 9 months ago. The accident was not my fault and I took my car to a body shop run by a client of mine.

His first question was whether the lady who hit me had Geico insurance or not. I said "no, it's somebody else". He said "good, because Geico is horrible to work with". What they do, according to my client, is authorize cheap replacement parts instead of the manufacturers parts. If you drive a Lexus, Lexus has certain parts (mufflers, tailpipes, whatever) that are made specifically for those vehicles. Geico basically only authorizes cheaper parts. When you have a good auto body guy, he'll fight for you and get the manufacturers parts. If you don't, you're screwed.

After that conversation, I vowed I would never actually buy Geico insurance. I love their commercials, but I don't think much of their product.

Lott's Bandana
1/4/2008, 07:44 PM
I have Geico...pleased with every aspect. They also treat Vets well since they used to be with the NCOA.

GottaHavePride
1/4/2008, 08:48 PM
PS - Louisiana has ridiculous rates. One more reason I'm job hunting in Oklahoma.

Not trying to offend or anything, but if a lot of people pre-Katrina were carrying Allstate coverage, Allstate might have taken a HUGE beating down there.

SoonerInKCMO
1/4/2008, 08:56 PM
Did you look at Progressive? Their rates are even lower than Geico (for me anyway). I've had one comprehensive claim (broken window), and was in an accident where the at-fault driver also had Progressive, and had no problems with them.

I had Geico for a while and switched to Progressive after getting a quote on-line and seeing that it was about 10% cheaper (for me). I haven't had to make a claim, but the customer service people have been great whenever I've changed coverages or moved (in one case from one state to another).

TUSooner
1/4/2008, 10:26 PM
Not trying to offend or anything, but if a lot of people pre-Katrina were carrying Allstate coverage, Allstate might have taken a HUGE beating down there.
No offense. I think you may be right. Somebody told me the other day that Allstate was :trying to get out of LA." I doubt that, but I'm sure they have paid out a lot lately.

SOONER STEAKER
1/4/2008, 10:32 PM
I have had Geico, State Farm and All State. If your father wa in the military you need to look into USAA for car and home insurance. They are the cheapest that I have ever had.

My mom has had them for 40 ears, and they just sent her a $1,000 to show there appreciation for her long outstanding patronage of them. She applied that oney to home and auto insurance for the first 2 quarters of 2008.

United States Auto Association out of San Antonio.

LoyalFan
1/4/2008, 10:32 PM
This one time in Vietnam, I ate a little green lizard. So, I can recommend them!
Or was it Band Camp?.....

LF
Stone Cold Killer (so long as I can remember where I parked the tank.)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2008, 11:04 AM
Shop around for sure. I had State Farm. Progressive was less on that particular car. Bought a new truck. Guide One was cheaper than Progressive on that vehicle.

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 11:16 AM
I've had Progressive for about a year and a half now. I don't know how to say this and have it make sense but in April I switched from Progressive to Progressive through an insurance agent. Somehow adding the middleman made my rates go down.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2008, 11:19 AM
I've had Progressive for about a year and a half now. I don't know how to say this and have it make sense but in April I switched from Progressive to Progressive through an insurance agent. Somehow adding the middleman made my rates go down.

I did the same thing when I had it. Signed myself up over the internet. When to a local agent to see if they could save me a little and she said yes. I asked her what carrier and she said Progressive.

1stTimeCaller
1/5/2008, 11:22 AM
yeah, that's weird.

SoonerInFla
1/5/2008, 07:45 PM
Check USAA.

Flagstaffsooner
1/5/2008, 08:03 PM
USAA, great sevice and low rates and usually a yearly rebate.

StoopTroup
1/5/2008, 08:05 PM
We have Liberty Mutual for the cars and the House.

They were great handling our House claim during the ice storm.

pott_2
1/6/2008, 02:43 AM
GEICO is fantastic, especially if you are military, law enforcement, or government. Governemt Employees Insurance Comapany. They give discounts for everything. I pay $900 a year for 2 vehicles full coverage. One of those is an overpriced Land Rover. The service is great and they are easy to deal with. The online system is easy to use also.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2008, 03:52 AM

Since the carrier doesn't have to provide primary policy service, they can offer discounted rates through a broker. Instead of calling Progressive Direct to change lienholders, add drivers, etc, you'll call your broker. Depending on the commission the broker has negotiated with the carrier, the discount may be more than the commission paid out.

As for using GEICO insurance: VERY well-run company. One of my really good friends is some kind of big honcho for claims over there-used to run the claims office here in Anchorage. Anyhow, the impression I get from people with GEICO is that they're very easy to deal with from the insured's standpoint.

They also provide insurance at discounted rates to government employees (as well as employees of several other large groups.) GEICO (I believe) originally was an acronym for Government Employees Insurance Company.

Okla-homey
1/6/2008, 08:14 AM
How is it?

You are a veteran. Therefore, you are a foolio if you don't switch to USAA.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon

SoonerInFla
1/6/2008, 08:53 AM

I'm not sure how I got in with USAA. I'm not a veteran but they let me in. I dropped Allstate about 20 years ago when they wanted to raise my rates a lot for no reason

Geico used to mail the "we'll give you a free gift if we can't save you money " junk mail. I'd call em.
First thing they ask is " Who is your insurance company? "
I say "USAA".
Next question they ask is " What address would you like your gift sent to? "
I got some nice pens and a couple clock radios.

TUSooner
1/6/2008, 08:26 PM

Judging from the website, I don't think I'm eligible, at least not just for being veteran who got out decades ago. But I'm calling them manana

AggieTool
1/6/2008, 08:49 PM
Judging from the website, I don't think I'm eligible, at least not just for being veteran who got out decades ago. But I'm calling them manana

Point is...shop around.

I've been a USAA member for over 30 years and have dropped them twice as my auto insurer because Allstate or Geico had better rates at the time.

Allstate crept back up on me recently so I switched back to USAA for now.

Progressive has the best customer service that I've ever experienced. I was rear-ended by a Progressive customer and they treated me like royalty.

Warning: USAA may have lower rates for now, but accidents and tickets will drive them up fast.

Geico is supposedly more forgiving.

Last thing...

Don't let USAA try to cross-sell you some other snake oil like cash value (whole) life insurance or other crap.

They just ****-canned their CEO Bob Davis, and finally got a uniformed guy back at the helm. They may get better now.

Oldnslo
1/7/2008, 11:31 AM
I'll put in a plug for the AAA family of insurance companies.

You've got to be a member of AAA to be eligible to buy, but it's well worth it. I've represented Auto Club for years. They're good folks.

TUSooner
1/7/2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks.
I was able to get a prety good deal with USAA. I was eligible through my Dad, who had me covered on his policy way back in the day when I was cruising the thoroughfares of beautiful downtown Moore in my groovy (very used) Fiat 124 Spider.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1295/fiat124tb9.jpg

colleyvillesooner
1/7/2008, 04:56 PM
Enjoy.

They're the best.

soonerbrat
1/7/2008, 05:20 PM
I hate USAA

colleyvillesooner
1/7/2008, 05:26 PM
and they hate you. they told me.

soonerbrat
1/7/2008, 05:49 PM
yeah, they do because I made them pay when their stupid driver hit me

1stTimeCaller
1/7/2008, 05:50 PM
I said I was sorry!

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2008, 05:57 PM
yeah, they do because I made them pay when their stupid driver hit me
you know, I thought I was going to be in the same situation as you, but USAA sided with me over their own client. It took a while, but they did the right thing with me.

soonerbrat
1/7/2008, 10:34 PM
they tried to screw me...no kiss, no flowers, no vaseline....

first they said my car was worth about $1400 less than my own insurance ended up giving me for it, then they said i couldn't possibly really be injured because i didn't break any bones, even though their insured broadsided me going about 30 mph - accelerating, not braking. I made a claim with my own insurance and let them subrogate it.

Okla-homey
1/8/2008, 06:39 AM
they tried to screw me...no kiss, no flowers, no vaseline....

first they said my car was worth about $1400 less than my own insurance ended up giving me for it, then they said i couldn't possibly really be injured because i didn't break any bones, even though their insured broadsided me going about 30 mph - accelerating, not braking. I made a claim with my own insurance and let them subrogate it.

You need to understand, in this business, companies are generally suspicious of expensive soft tissue injury based claims. Soft tissue injuries are simply not worth as much as broken bones for obvious reasons -- chief among them, because oodles of orthopods will testify soft tissue injuries usually heal on their own without any treatment. Thus, they'll generally pay for a doctors visit and a bit of physical therapy, including up to about a half dozen chiro sessions without balking, but that's about it. IOW, a couple grand at the most.

Further, soft tissue injuries have been too often the great refuge of scam artists and other exortionists. Mind you, not saying that was your intent. Far from it. Nevertheless, you experienced the typical insurance company pushback on soft tissue ouchies.

soonerbrat
1/8/2008, 08:33 AM
i hit my shoulder and head on the glass (driver window) and it exacerbated my jaw problems that I had just spent $4000 to try to help alleviate. :mad:
I still get headaches occasionally.

i WAS thankful that my kids weren't in the car. the passenger doors were jammed into the front passenger and rear passenger side seats and they would've definitely been seriously injured - probably would've at least both had broken legs. she hit me really hard..and she wasn't braking..she was speeding up.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2008, 08:44 AM
I still get headaches occasionally.
I feel real bad for you, but females usually have headaches scheduled on their day planners;)

Seriously, it sucks that scam artists have made is so difficult for legit claims. (and lawyers........homey;))

soonerbrat
1/8/2008, 09:02 AM
the difference between me and most other females? i know the best cure for headaches.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2008, 09:48 AM
dangit.

My wife is out of town and your avatar is making me horny.

soonerbrat
1/8/2008, 10:08 AM
dangit.

My wife is out of town and your avatar is making me horny.