PDA

View Full Version : JUST THE FACTS

PLaw
1/4/2008, 04:25 PM
I am not big for firing coaches after 1 or 2 bad games but I do think that it is time to rethink the defensive coaching staff. In the BCS bowls, since Mike Stoops left, we have given up 55, 43, and 48. For a team with as much speed and talent as OU, that is simply unacceptable.

If there's one common characteristic to the USC, Boise State and West Virginia losses, however, it's that Oklahoma's defense looked absolutely baffled by its opponent's offense. - Stewart Mandel.

It's baffling. I want to give the coaches a pass because English was coming off of the flu and Smith, Holmes, and Granger did not play.

In God we trust, all others bring data. That said, consider this:

Bud Wilkinson - his teams only gave up 40 points two times and more than 30 only two other times.

Barry Switzer - in a 16 year span, OU defenses only surrendered 40 points three times. In fact, the Sooners only gave up more than thirty on six other occasions.

Gary Gibbs - OU defenses gave up 40 in three games and more than 30 six times.

Bob Stoops w/ Mike - No games with more than 40 scored against the Sooners, but 8 games with 30 or more.

Bob Stoops w/o Mike - another 8 games with more than 30 points scored against, 4 games with more than 40, and 1 game of which we do not speak.

I'm not suggesting there should be changes with the defense coaching staff, but the data doesn't lie. Do you think giving up more than 40 points in a big bowl game would have triggered wholesale changes under Wilkinson and Switzer?

Clearly, the 55 scored by SUC was the most embarrassing of all. Even more than the shuckers racking up 70 - twice.:mad:

BOOMER

Big D Sooner
1/4/2008, 10:59 PM
Those numbers may be slightly misleading considering that both offensive and defensive strategies have evolved through the years. Coach Wilkinson did not face too many spread offenses.

Big D Sooner
1/4/2008, 11:02 PM
I do not disagree that OU's defense could use some work and maybe a change in philosophy. I'm just saying that you can run into bias when comparing numbers from different eras.

Sooner5030
1/5/2008, 12:00 AM
I really miss Calmus, Torrance Marshall, Woolfolk, Strait, Everage, Willaims. They weren't perfect but always played with passion. And I can't remember either of them being a bystander and watching some runner pass them by.

Maybe it was the combo of Mike Stoops & BV. Or maybe we were just incredibly lucky to have 2-3 years of great defensive players.

Probably a little of both.

Soonerus
1/5/2008, 12:02 AM
Don't tear yourself up over this...we had a great year...

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2008, 02:08 AM
A more fair comparison would be to compare OU against teams USC, Ohio State, and LSU from 2003-2007.

cvsooner
1/5/2008, 02:05 PM
The front four was really having problems, especially. Rewatched the first quarter last night. Probably due to his inexperience, but Jeremy Beal was consistently going out of position. English played much better but I guess between his leg and the flu he didn't play much. Beal's got a lot of potential but he kept slipping his assignment. And I'm not picking on Beal, per se. He wasn't the only player having problems.

There's also a bigger than life blocking in the back penalty that wasn't called on White's first 20 yard run, which was especially infuriating because the WVU player takes out TWO of our guys, right in front of the official. There's also a non-called hold on the 50 yard punt return. The WVU player throws his hands up at the last sec to show he's not holding.

I'm not putting this on the refs, but man, I just hate seeing those and they aren't called.

PLaw
1/5/2008, 02:17 PM
A more fair comparison would be to compare OU against teams USC, Ohio State, and LSU from 2003-2007.

Fair enough.

USC from 2003 through 2007 - 2 games w/ more than 40 scored against them (one of those SC won) and four games with more than 30 given up.

Others to follow.

BOOMER

dabien
1/5/2008, 06:24 PM
Fair enough.

USC from 2003 through 2007 - 2 games w/ more than 40 scored against them (one of those SC won) and four games with more than 30 given up.

Others to follow.

BOOMER
don't compare us to them...
it would make me cry.
just fire venables and get this over with. please venables find a head coaching job. do not compare OU vs. usc lsu or osu
we don't stack up against them.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 06:57 PM
Well if Bob Stoops could recruit 300 players like Wilkinson...
Well if Bob Stoops could give really nice cars to his players like Switzer...

KC//CRIMSON
1/5/2008, 07:06 PM
*hit can BV and change to a spread offense and you will never see another bowl game blowout.

Soonerus
1/5/2008, 07:07 PM
don't compare us to them...
it would make me cry.
just fire venables and get this over with. please venables find a head coaching job. do not compare OU vs. usc lsu or osu
we don't stack up against them.

So Venables is the dog to kick this week ???

jduggle
1/5/2008, 07:12 PM
Sure he is....Venables had a month figure how to deal with White and he failed plain and simple. All Venables did was run the same OU defense he always runs only with the 2nd team secondary. It could have been any other team and Venables would have run the same defense.

KC//CRIMSON
1/5/2008, 07:16 PM
So Venables is the dog to kick this week ???

This week? Where in the hell have you been?

BV has been at OU for nine years and has not been offered a single head coaching job anywhere, not even from his own alta mater when it had an opening. You do the math.

jduggle
1/5/2008, 07:20 PM
KC we're on a roll tonight....nice!

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 07:20 PM
Venables is more like that dog that is locked in a small cage and poked with a stick and occassionally has a firecracker thrown in with him. That Metaphor would fit better.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 07:22 PM
How many years was Bill Bellicheck an assistant before he was offered a job...he must suck too

jduggle
1/5/2008, 07:25 PM
Venables doesn't suck...he's just in over his head. He's a good position coach that's been promoted to his level of incompetency.

Soonerus
1/5/2008, 07:27 PM
Venables doesn't suck...he's just in over his head. He's a good position coach that's been promoted to his level of incompetency.

So now you are calling him a Peter....

KC//CRIMSON
1/5/2008, 07:30 PM
How many years was Bill Bellicheck an assistant before he was offered a job...he must suck too

He was a DC for all of a year before becoming a head coach. Unless your counting clipboard years too.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 07:32 PM
More like Lucy...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2008, 07:39 PM
The front four was really having problems, especially. Rewatched the first quarter last night. Probably due to his inexperience, but Jeremy Beal was consistently going out of position. English played much better but I guess between his leg and the flu he didn't play much. Beal's got a lot of potential but he kept slipping his assignment. And I'm not picking on Beal, per se. He wasn't the only player having problems.

There's also a bigger than life blocking in the back penalty that wasn't called on White's first 20 yard run, which was especially infuriating because the WVU player takes out TWO of our guys, right in front of the official. There's also a non-called hold on the 50 yard punt return. The WVU player throws his hands up at the last sec to show he's not holding.

I'm not putting this on the refs, but man, I just hate seeing those and they aren't called.

were the refs from the SEC? because the SEC tends to call the weak stuff like a tackle too far off the LOS and lets the stuff on the edge go. personally, i don't like it when we do it and it really bothers me when other teams do it. i wish it would be a "point of emphasis" next year.

the only thing that i can fault venables for this year is the state of our linebacking corps. they are just so undisciplined that other teams just absolutely abuse us. whether they are in run defense or blitzing, they act like the other team is just going to roll over. the quandary that i can't answer is 'can you teach an undisciplined athlete to become disciplined in the little practice time they have at OU'? west virginia's blitzes were a thing of beauty, heck they looked like us in 2001-2003. whereas ours were reminiscent of texas 2001-2003 - linebackers tipping the blitz, running out of their lane and allowing the RUNNING qb to get a huge seam for a first down on 3rd and 14.

KC//CRIMSON
1/5/2008, 07:43 PM
the only thing that i can fault venables for this year is the state of our linebacking corps.

Don't forget the Pop Warner tackling and defending the long pass.

Mjcpr
1/5/2008, 07:44 PM

And the long run. And the long run by slow, white dudes.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 07:44 PM
Are we talking Pop Warner the Little League or Pop Warner, one of the greatest coaches of all time?

KC//CRIMSON
1/5/2008, 07:49 PM
Are we talking Pop Warner the Little League or Pop Warner, one of the greatest coaches of all time?

You should try to beat Dane Cook's new stand-up record. I bet you could do it.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 07:54 PM
I already tried, but I accidently called some hecklers the "N" word...so now I only get royalty checks for this really crappy show I used to be on :(

GimmeRed
1/5/2008, 08:55 PM
Those numbers may be slightly misleading considering that both offensive and defensive strategies have evolved through the years. Coach Wilkinson did not face too many spread offenses.

The rules for the Offense have changed a lot over the last few years and it also has had a profound effect on the game.

Throw in the 85 scholarships and you have a much different game today.

85sooners
1/5/2008, 08:58 PM
Don't forget the Pop Warner tackling and defending the long pass.;)

TXBOOMER
1/5/2008, 09:18 PM
I have defended BV to a fault and have never called for his job. I've always felt like Mike got a little too much credit. No more. I don't care if BV is an absolute stud D-Co. His defense has played like shat in the past three BCS bowls and has caused me to watch SUC embarrass us, Boise State embarrass us and WVU embarrass us and we have been called Choklahoma on national TV. He has not had any head job offers because his defenses under perform on the big stage. Whether it is his fault or not the head coach needs to replace him based on the big stage collapses. I don't think he will because Bob Stoops biggest fault is he is too loyal. I truly don't believe there will be another NC in here until the head coach shakes things up.

princetonsooner
1/6/2008, 12:13 AM
The fact is we have gotten slower on "D" LINEBACKERS the past two years and have missed on several recruits at this position. Meanwhile we HAVE SAFETIES out the A#$! You can only play two.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2008, 01:20 PM

isn't that bobby jack wright? you know, the guy who gets promoted when they fire venables?

rubyspirit
1/6/2008, 01:20 PM
Throw the ball! We have the best receivers in the country.

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2008, 01:35 PM
isn't that bobby jack wright? you know, the guy who gets promoted when they fire venables?

Which is why Stoops needs to hire a guy with a proven track record.

Hell Brownie at saxeT did it with Chizik, and look what happened with them. Now he is gone and so is VY, look what has happened. Now they Muschamp, expect a different defensive attitdue out of saxeT next season.

Mike Stoops installed and instilled an attitude in our defense, which seems to be lacking nowadays.

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2008, 01:38 PM
Outside of Baylor or some Mid Major team, when was the last time OU shutout an opponent?

Well, BV has led to 2 of them....Mid Tennessee and Baylor (2006 and 2004 respectively).

Mike Stoops had 5 in 5 years.

OKC-SLC
1/6/2008, 01:44 PM
This has worried me for the last couple of years. Not that they'd fire BV, but that if/when he takes another gig.

TJKDone
1/6/2008, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Sooner5030]I really miss Calmus, Torrance Marshall, Woolfolk, Strait, Everage, Willaims. They weren't perfect but always played with passion. And I can't remember either of them being a bystander and watching some runner pass them by.QUOTE]

This gets my vote. The players aren't playing bad. They don't lack in fundamentals. The truely great talents, like the ones you've mentioned, are the one's that compete best against great teams.

You guys had a lot of great players on the field in the SC game, but not nearly as many as they did.

Talent is your issue. Why it is your issue I don't have a clue.

Hook'em

cvsooner
1/6/2008, 05:24 PM
The refs were from the SEC, by the way, jkm.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/6/2008, 05:49 PM
Talent isn't the issue...discipline is the issue. Remember when we played Nebraska in 2000. The first two series, we over ran the option and they scored two touchdowns. Then after those two series, OU played disiplines stay in your lane responsibilities and guess what we shut them out.

cvsooner
1/6/2008, 08:53 PM
Reviewing the game a bit further, there are just so many breakdowns on offense, defense and special teams...it's hard to single out any special single one. WVU is a talented team, no question, and they played better than we did. I expected them to move the ball and I expected them to score some points. I think what galled me the most was this season, mostly, we played better in the second half than we did in the first. The offense did, this time around, but the defense sure as heck didn't.

Darien Williams makes some great tackles in the game, and then misses the one (there's an earlier missed tackle on the same play but I can't make out the number). It goes the distance as a result. I remember Jimmy Littrell and Waymon Clark and those guys doing that sort of thing 30 years ago.

WVU reminded me of some of Switzer's better teams in the 70s, for that matter. White isn't a great thrower but he's like a Steve Davis or JC Watts...completes a half dozen passes for 150 yards and two touchdowns.

Walker is just slightly beaten on the one 79 yarder and goes for the ball, instead of tackling the man. If he tackles the guy, it's a long gain (or a 10 yard penalty). Much better than six points.

Probably didn't help having Beal on the same side as White's throwing arm. Beal either goes way inside and gets stuck in the stack or tries to go around the outside and the tackle is more than happy to just keep him going so that he's taken out of the play. That hole opens up and White took advantage of it a number of times.

I think it hurt us having played a spread so much as we did, but not really anybody who runs. The spread offenses we saw this season are built around the pass. White is more likely to run than to throw. It's an extra option we just didn't see and I think it cost us.

Looking at the comments the Curtis Loftons and the like made to the media before the game about having to play "ultra-disciplined" and the importance of tackling tells me the players heard the message but could not put it into their play. Some of that is due to the play of the Mountaineers but mostly it was the effect of a few players not playing their responsibilities.

The spread/option/veer attack relies upon having options, like the name says. If the defense does a, you do b. If they do b, you do c, and so on. The way that's defended is to have specific responsibilities and to strip away each option. Some plays we got it done but others we didn't. Every one of the long plays (really except the fullback run) was a specific blown assignment. WVU capitalized. I'll let the FB run off the hook because it was defended fairly well, but two missed tackles allowed him to get out. He didn't run worth a flip on his other carries.

The question I have is, clearly, Stoops and Venables see these things happen and can't seem to get them corrected. I know they're good coaches and the schemes are good, but how on earth do you get a young player to believe in you and what you're telling them? Bench them? I guess so...let the less physically talented guy play if he can fulfill the assignment.

Offense had similar breakdowns. It seems to be a team phenomenon, I suppose. I know WVU made us look pretty bad, but I'd also say I'm not sure outside of USC, Georgia and maybe LSU who else in the BCS could have hung with WVU the way they were playing.

Well, this game is history and hopefully we learn from it and make whatever changes are necessary.

bluedogok
1/6/2008, 09:18 PM

He was a DC for all of a year before becoming a head coach. Unless your counting clipboard years too.
He was an assistant for a long time, he was the DC with the Giants for 5 years under Parcells before he was hired as the Browns head coach. After he was fired by the Browns he was the Assistant Head Coach/DB Coach to Parcells at New England and the Jets. Eric Mangini had one year at DC when the Jets hired him.

Bill Belichick Coaching Jobs
1975 - Baltimore Colts - Special Assistant

1976 - Detroit Lions - Assistant Special Teams Coach

1977 - Detroit Lions - Wide Receivers/Tight Ends Coach

1978 - Denver Broncos - Assistant Special Teams Coach/Defensive Assistant

1979 - New York Giants - Special Teams Coach/Defensive Assistant

1980-1984 - New York Giants - Linebackers/Special Teams Coach

1985-1990 - New York Giants - Defensive Coordinator

1991-1995 - Cleveland Browns - Head Coach

1996 - New England Patriots - Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Backs Coach

1997-1999 - New York Jets - Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Backs Coach

2000-Present - New England Patriots - Head Coach

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/6/2008, 09:49 PM
Yes but Bellicheck doesn't have half the skills that Richt and Carroll have...perhaps you haven't been reading on here. According to this board losing to Stanford makes you a motivational guru...

bluedogok
1/6/2008, 10:02 PM
I also bet Belichick and the Patriots would be 8-8 in the SEC.....

Remember, Pete Carroll was once fired by the Patriots. Belichick was the one who replaced him.

Sooner_Bob
1/6/2008, 10:03 PM
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/235/77214207ow5.th.jpg

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/6/2008, 10:05 PM
Get Serious, do you think Bellicheck could handle those complex Vanderbilt schemes.

The Maestro
1/6/2008, 10:12 PM
Can I be that guy who wonders how the initial poster mispelled "flu"? I mean, it is only three letters.

Now, to the nature of the thread...numbers don't lie. I recall some on this message board defending BV after craptastic games like the first half against Tech (when the game was lost) and even against Baylor. I bet WVU copied some things Baylor did...they just have better athletes to finish.

Heck, I have met BV...great guy. Stand up guy. Good recruiter. But dang it, these games where we meltdown cause we are playing defense on the backpedal is embarrassing. Great defenses have to attack...not wait to be attacked.

dabien
1/6/2008, 11:23 PM
Can I be that guy who wonders how the initial poster mispelled "flu"? I mean, it is only three letters.

Now, to the nature of the thread...numbers don't lie. I recall some on this message board defending BV after craptastic games like the first half against Tech (when the game was lost) and even against Baylor. I bet WVU copied some things Baylor did...they just have better athletes to finish.

Heck, I have met BV...great guy. Stand up guy. Good recruiter. But dang it, these games where we meltdown cause we are playing defense on the backpedal is embarrassing. Great defenses have to attack...not wait to be attacked.
right on sir
BV needs to get out of here. GO TAKE THE HAWAII JOB PLEASE

KC//CRIMSON
1/6/2008, 11:40 PM
Yes but Bellicheck doesn't have half the skills that Richt and Carroll have...perhaps you haven't been reading on here. According to this board losing to Stanford makes you a motivational guru...

And losing to Colorado with your starting QB makes you a ?

KC//CRIMSON
1/6/2008, 11:42 PM
He was an assistant for a long time, he was the DC with the Giants for 5 years under Parcells before he was hired as the Browns head coach. After he was fired by the Browns he was the Assistant Head Coach/DB Coach to Parcells at New England and the Jets. Eric Mangini had one year at DC when the Jets hired him.

Bill Belichick Coaching Jobs
1975 - Baltimore Colts - Special Assistant

1976 - Detroit Lions - Assistant Special Teams Coach

1977 - Detroit Lions - Wide Receivers/Tight Ends Coach

1978 - Denver Broncos - Assistant Special Teams Coach/Defensive Assistant

1979 - New York Giants - Special Teams Coach/Defensive Assistant

1980-1984 - New York Giants - Linebackers/Special Teams Coach

1985-1990 - New York Giants - Defensive Coordinator

1991-1995 - Cleveland Browns - Head Coach

1996 - New England Patriots - Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Backs Coach

1997-1999 - New York Jets - Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Backs Coach

2000-Present - New England Patriots - Head Coach

Thank you Mr. Bill Belichick fan club President.:cool:

cheezyq
1/7/2008, 12:36 AM
right on sir
BV needs to get out of here. GO TAKE THE HAWAII JOB PLEASE

No, Venables doesn't need to be fired. He's a great position coach, and a great recruiter. We continue to have great linebacker play because of him. And when we're healthy, we have great defensive line play too because of him.

He's just a bad DC. He doesn't have a good feel for the game, and his game plans have our defensive players halfway across the field as the play goes the other direction.

We need a DC that can put together a good plan and let BV focus on what he does best.

Echoes
1/7/2008, 12:51 AM
Agreed, Cheezy. BV is a great position coach. A great one. He needs to go nowhere.

Unfortunately, as someone posted above.. (I'll hunt you down and give you spec :D ) Bob's biggest weakness is his loyalty. BV needs to be asked to be just a position coach and concentrate more on recruiting, while we bring in someone as a new defensive coordinator.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/7/2008, 12:54 AM
You can turn that whole question around, Could Carroll beat Illionis with his top DB, Top DL, Top DE, Third best DB, Top RB all standing on the sideline.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/7/2008, 12:57 AM
And I forgot Top WR too ;)

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2008, 01:05 AM
You can turn that whole question around, Could Carroll beat Illionis with his top DB, Top DL, Top DE, Third best DB, Top RB all standing on the sideline.

With the talent he has at his disposal it's very possible.

Also, aren't most of those positions/players on defense for OU rotated in and out through out a game anyway?

I'd like to think OU has the talent on the side line to cover a few starters on defense.

QB is a whole differnt animal. No position changes the outcome of a game more than a downed QB.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/7/2008, 01:24 AM
With USC's over abundance of talent, shouldn't their second stringer be at least better than Stanford. I mean it is being made clear that USC is the ultimate greatest team ever. This team may not be able to be beat. I guess John Wayne David Booty played the entire game against Stanford also has no bearing on this conversation

pott_2
1/7/2008, 02:01 AM
With USC's over abundance of talent, shouldn't their second stringer be at least better than Stanford. I mean it is being made clear that USC is the ultimate greatest team ever. This team may not be able to be beat. I guess John Wayne David Booty played the entire game against Stanford also has no bearing on this conversation
Very good logic.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/7/2008, 02:09 AM
It just shocks me that USC according to this board
A) Has VASTLY superior players
B) Has VASTLY superior coaches
C) Has VASTLY superior testicular fortitude

Yet somehow lost two games and backed in to a Pac-10 Championship and isn't playing for the National Championship.

snp
1/7/2008, 02:38 AM
This week? Where in the hell have you been?

BV has been at OU for nine years and has not been offered a single head coaching job anywhere, not even from his own alta mater when it had an opening. You do the math.

This is absolutely wrong. He was almost offered a job this past month but some 12th hour shenanigans happened. He's turned down requests to be interviewed by smaller schools as well.

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2008, 12:41 PM

Nobody is saying USC is the greatest team of all time. My bad on Booty, I thought his injury was before the Stanford game.

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2008, 12:42 PM
This is absolutely wrong. He was almost offered a job this past month but some 12th hour shenanigans happened. He's turned down requests to be interviewed by smaller schools as well.

I'm calling shenanigans on the 12th hour shenanigans . By smaller schools you mean Div 1-AA?

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2008, 12:49 PM
It just shocks me that USC according to this board
A) Has VASTLY superior players
B) Has VASTLY superior coaches
C) Has VASTLY superior testicular fortitude

Yet somehow lost two games and backed in to a Pac-10 Championship and isn't playing for the National Championship.

You're VASTLY over stating your comments. USC is the better program right now, I don't think anyone would argue otherwise.

Didn't OU more or less back into the CCG last year? Is OU playing for the MNC this year? Did USC get *ss raped on national television in the Rose Bowl? Has Pete Carroll been emabarrassed in his last three BCS bowl games?

Think about this for a minute: Kansas! didn't even play for a conference championship and still went to a BCS bowl and won! In the frickin Don Shula hates you Tom Brady frickin Orange Bowl for christ sakes! Kansas!

The OU program has some problems. It is what it is.

ps. In the future, please don't try and make an analogy between Brent Venables and Bill Belichick. It's well, insane.;)

OklahomaTuba
1/7/2008, 01:01 PM
Don't blame this **** on Lofton. He is a man, he wears 40!

snp
1/7/2008, 03:50 PM
I'm calling shenanigans on the 12th hour shenanigans . By smaller schools you mean Div 1-AA?

Just because it isn't reported in the DOK doesn't mean it's not true.

Yes and some non-BCS schools as well. Venables has a great job at a place he loves and makes a lot of money. Why does he have to leave to validate himself?

PLaw
1/8/2008, 11:19 PM

I hear what you are saying, but I'm not sure I agree. Every era has had high scoring offenses - while it takes the defense a period of time to catch up. I recall OU and Nebbish hanging half hundred by the half on a lot of teams during the 70's and 80's.

Just sayin'

BOOMER

snp
1/9/2008, 12:30 AM
I hear what you are saying, but I'm not sure I agree. Every era has had high scoring offenses - while it takes the defense a period of time to catch up. I recall OU and Nebbish hanging half hundred by the half on a lot of teams during the 70's and 80's.

Just sayin'

BOOMER

2 of the best programs of the era and all time had great offenses?!? Shocking! Surely they weren't stockpiling talent since there were no scholarship restriction or anything like that. And also there was no such as parity back then, right?

We should expect premier programs to hang a hundred year in, year out. We don't expect Texas Tech, Tulsa, Houston, etc etc to have awesome offenses all of a sudden.

Zbird
1/9/2008, 10:01 PM
So now you are calling him a Peter....

If Dr Lawrence says so

PLaw
1/10/2008, 07:59 PM
2 of the best programs of the era and all time had great offenses?!? Shocking! Surely they weren't stockpiling talent since there were no scholarship restriction or anything like that. And also there was no such as parity back then, right?

We should expect premier programs to hang a hundred year in, year out. We don't expect Texas Tech, Tulsa, Houston, etc etc to have awesome offenses all of a sudden.

Yeah, but the point is that the data show historically OU defenses have handled some highly potent offenses, regardless of the era. In fact, Bob's teams have done a darn good job against teams, like the pink faders, that light up others.

BOOMER

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2008, 08:11 PM
I really like West Virginia's offense though, it is almost a variation of the wishbone really. You get the motion going and it becomes basically the wishbone out of the shotgun. With the speed of current players, you give the qb good vision of the field, you are able to use your physical back in situations. I really think you can do some creative and fun things out of the spread option type formation.

wishbonesooner
1/11/2008, 11:36 AM
Don't just count the BCS losses. Our defense melted down against Oregon, Colorado, T-Tech, Tulsa moved the ball at will. I don't know who or what is to blame, but we used to be able to count on our D to keep us in games even when our offense was struggling. We can't anymore, and that alone is reason enough to make some changes, ANY changes.Anybody want to bet me a cold beer that Bob changes absolutely nothing?

VMG
1/11/2008, 01:17 PM
...but the data doesn't lie...

Actually, that depends on the story you're trying to tell.

You've cited data from outcomes, which, of course, leaves the "why" underlying those outcomes to speculation.

Blues1
1/11/2008, 02:32 PM
I really like West Virginia's offense though, it is almost a variation of the wishbone really. You get the motion going and it becomes basically the wishbone out of the shotgun. With the speed of current players, you give the qb good vision of the field, you are able to use your physical back in situations. I really think you can do some creative and fun things out of the spread option type formation.

If Anyone goes back to some of LAST Year's posts - You will see posts about where I talked about having a 2 back offense - SOME option plays - Having a stud Fullback that carries the ball now and then - A running qb along with passing - etc etc - I'm just stating some old facts - I hate saying this But Quite Frankly It Didn't surprise me one BIT that West Virgina kicked our azz - From What I saw on TV it looked like our Coaching staff was Dumbfounded on the side lines....The OU team I saw in Fiesta Bowl could not have beat Kansas - Georiga - USC - LSU - and yes not even texas....JMHO but our Defense Really Sucked and our Offense still has got Chuck Long written all over it....."PREDICTABLE"
Even I can coach a bunch of 48 to 28 Loss's IF thats what we want......:mad:

snp
1/11/2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah, but the point is that the data show historically OU defenses have handled some highly potent offenses, regardless of the era. In fact, Bob's teams have done a darn good job against teams, like the pink faders, that light up others.

BOOMER

And if you can't differentiate the time periods than this argument is pointless.

PLaw
1/11/2008, 06:52 PM
And if you can't differentiate the time periods than this argument is pointless.

How so? Again, every period is marked by a new offensive innovation. The defenses had to play against the offenses in those eras. Some of those defenses didn't fare too well. Others, did better. You can't compare defenses of yesterday with offenses of today and that is not what the point is all about.

I think we are implying the same thing - we're not trying to compare the Bud Wilkinson defenses against today's offenses. But in that era, Bud's teams faced some potent offenses that they shut down. Therefore, the data suggests that OU defenses have a long history of outstanding play regardless of the era.