PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any ideas on learning Hmong?

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2008, 01:18 PM
I'm kind of looking for a self-study course to learn how to speak Hmong-or at least be able to muddle my way through. I checked Rosetta Stone, and they don't have anything for Hmong (though I guess I could go with Laotian as most Hmong speak Laotian as well.) Anchorage has been getting a big influx of Hmong immigrants of late, and they all seem to be settling in the neighborhood around my office, so I figure it'd be a good idea to at least know SOME of their language.

Anyhow, if anyone has any self-study ideas, that'd be great. A quick Google didn't turn anything useful up.

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2008, 01:21 PM
And yes, I know, they moved here and should learn English. Most of the younger Hmong I've met speak English fluently. However, it's not realistic to expect someone who's in their 60s or 70s to learn English immediately and since a lot of these people are coming to the US as a result of the aid they rendered to US soldiers during Vietnam I'd like to show them a little gratitude and make their transition into the US easier. I've already had a couple of situations arise as a notary where knowing Hmong would have been really useful.

mdklatt
1/4/2008, 01:22 PM
Anchorage has been getting a big influx of Hmong immigrants of late

Don't they know how ****ing cold it gets there??

Mjcpr
1/4/2008, 01:30 PM
Hmong for Dummies?

JohnnyMack
1/4/2008, 01:32 PM
You're just tired of them talking **** about you while they give you pedicures.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/4/2008, 01:55 PM
And yes, I know, they moved here and should learn English. Most of the younger Hmong I've met speak English fluently. However, it's not realistic to expect someone who's in their 60s or 70s to learn English immediately and since a lot of these people are coming to the US as a result of the aid they rendered to US soldiers during Vietnam I'd like to show them a little gratitude and make their transition into the US easier. I've already had a couple of situations arise as a notary where knowing Hmong would have been really useful.What's this, some kind of excuse for not making it to PHX for the TK Party, and subsequent Sooner football stand-around???

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2008, 02:38 PM
Don't they know how ****ing cold it gets there??

Regardless, I'm sure it's better than being brutally oppressed in retaliation for helping US soldiers.

sooner_born_1960
1/4/2008, 02:43 PM
Invite one of the bilingual Hmong hawties to shack up with you for a couple months.

LoyalFan
1/4/2008, 10:48 PM
BTW, it was one of those sweet 'lil Hmongs who gunned down all those deer hunters, including a young woman, in Meatchicken a few years back. They caught him in one of their blinds and he just decided to go postal on them.
He got Life in the pokey. I say needle his arse...with a rusty nail tipped in the secretions of an Amazonian Poison Tree Frawg. But that's just me, easygoin' type that I am.

LF

olevetonahill
1/4/2008, 11:13 PM
BTW, it was one of those sweet 'lil Hmongs who gunned down all those deer hunters, including a young woman, in Meatchicken a few years back. They caught him in one of their blinds and he just decided to go postal on them.
He got Life in the pokey. I say needle his arse...with a rusty nail tipped in the secretions of an Amazonian Poison Tree Frawg. But that's just me, easygoin' type that I am.

LF
Bro it took me 20 years to NOT go Posatal when I saw a Person of that type .
The dude your talkin about ****ed up plain and simple .
Now Mike
In answer to your ?
Hire and elderly Hmong Lady as a Houskeeper Talk to her she will Teach

Jerk
1/4/2008, 11:20 PM
**** in the wire!!!! **** in the wire!!!!

olevetonahill
1/4/2008, 11:23 PM
**** in the wire!!!! **** in the wire!!!!
Naw the Claymoes gotem
:cool:

Jerk
1/4/2008, 11:25 PM
"front towards enemy"

http://www.airsocom.com/blog/uploads/Airsoft-Claymore-Mine_Package_X300.jpg

King Crimson
1/5/2008, 01:18 AM
http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/associationofhmongstudents/

send em an email at "contact us".

or go nuts:

http://www.google.com/search?q=hmong+student+association&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

JohnnyMack
1/5/2008, 10:07 AM
Or, what you could do is give them a book on learning English. That's another thought. You know, learn English, like my Grandmother did when she came to America. I'm just sayin'.

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 10:34 AM
Or, what you could do is give them a book on learning English. That's another thought. You know, learn English, like my Grandmother did when she came to America. I'm just sayin'.
So when you gonna learn ?
;)
Like I said Mike
Hire the Granny fer Cheap
Listen to the Bitch Gripe you out , you will learn
you get ur Shack cleanned fer cheap . The Languauge lesson is free :cool:

Widescreen
1/5/2008, 01:19 PM
I have nothing to add as the advice given above is everything Mike could need. :D

usmc-sooner
1/5/2008, 01:27 PM
just hold your money out and point to your crotch.

they'll understand

OCUDad
1/5/2008, 05:22 PM
Maybe Hmongo could teach you.

yermom
1/5/2008, 06:05 PM
Invite one of the bilingual Hmong hawties to shack up with you for a couple months.

if you don't think that is what this is all about, you are crazy ;)

Chuck Bao
1/5/2008, 07:32 PM
I speak a little Lao.

Greet them with Sa-bai dee bawwwww?

When they open their restaurants, tell them Sap-ee-lee or Sap-lai.

When referring to pretty girls, say Nam-lai.

Okay, that's all I know.

LoyalFan
1/6/2008, 01:44 AM
I speak a little Lao.

Greet them with Sa-bai dee bawwwww?

When they open their restaurants, tell them Sap-ee-lee or Sap-lai.

When referring to pretty girls, say Nam-lai.

Okay, that's all I know.

Do a little dance.
Speak a little Lao.
Get down tonight!

LF

AggieTool
1/6/2008, 01:06 PM
Do a little dance.
Speak a little Lao.
Get down tonight!

LF

She's a brick....

...hut.....

Chickedow...chickedow...chickedownow....

mdklatt
1/6/2008, 01:16 PM
Regardless, I'm sure it's better than being brutally oppressed in retaliation for helping US soldiers.

True, but why not pick some place with a more familiar climate? Houston already has a brazillion SE Asians, I'm sure there's room for a few more.

They can't possibly drive any worse than the ones that are already there.

:texan:

Chuck Bao
1/6/2008, 02:24 PM
Good point, mdklatt. And, in Texas they can go out and shoot things year round without getting frostbite.

I bought one of these Hmong handicraft quilts, but it was a war one with fighting and shooting and stuff. I gave it to my grandmother, but I don't think she really appreciated all that went into making a Hmong war scene quilt.

http://www.camacrafts.org/lifescene/ls50/ls50hmong_brown_big.jpg