PDA

View Full Version : Just heard on Channel 6 news that FEMA is...

BudSooner
1/4/2008, 01:06 PM
not going to extend help for those areas with ice storm damage.

I expected this, if there any reason for this office to actually exist?

OKLA21FAN
1/4/2008, 01:31 PM
PFFFFFFTTTTTT

there are still people in N.O. waiting for FEMA to help them, and you are thinking that FEMA should help some Okies in just a few short weeks? :pop:

sooner_born_1960
1/4/2008, 01:33 PM
In the grand scheme of things, what real damage was done. Sure, I, like a lot of people, lost a few trees, but big deal.
BTW, is this the same agency that is giving out wii coupons?

Miko
1/4/2008, 01:34 PM
if there any reason for this office to actually exist?

WHy of course! Do you realize that...........

WIth out FEMA..................

But they.................

Hey look! Something shiny!!:D

bri
1/4/2008, 01:38 PM
You're doin' a great job, Brownie.

:D

Tulsa_Fireman
1/4/2008, 01:48 PM
not going to extend help for those areas with ice storm damage.

I expected this, if there any reason for this office to actually exist?

I don't get it.

We're getting money for being a federally declared disaster area, but FEMA isn't helping? Is that help, as in trailers, food, $2000 credit cards, et cetera?

Sooner_Bob
1/4/2008, 01:58 PM
You're doin' a great job, Brownie.

:D

Heh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO2xi0uLnj8)

Okla-homey
1/4/2008, 02:01 PM
You know, I'm conflicted on this. One one hand, sure, there are people who took hits who are un or under-insured and can't afford it. OTOH, once we start giving out cash to whoever makes a claim reardless of their ability to absorb the loss, or whether or not they are adequately insured, based entirely on whether they have property in the "disaster" zone, we set up a system ripe for abuse.

FEMA, IMHO, was established to help re-establish basic infrastructure in the wake of a major disaster. Somehow, folks' expectations have morphed into believing FEMA is some kind of ginormous publically funded insurer against all natural or manmade perils and hazards.

OklahomaTuba
1/4/2008, 02:02 PM
I don't get it.

We're getting money for being a federally declared disaster area, but FEMA isn't helping? Is that help, as in trailers, food, $2000 credit cards, et cetera?

Yup, no trailers or visa cards this time.

They should offer some sort of tax rebate/deduction for the damage repair though. I think that is reasonable at the very least.

Sooner_Bob
1/4/2008, 02:13 PM
You know, I'm conflicted on this. One one hand, sure, there are people who took hits who are un or under-insured and can't afford it. OTOH, once we start giving out cash to whoever makes a claim reardless of their ability to absorb the loss, or whether or not they are adequately insured, based entirely on whether they have property in the "disaster" zone, we set up a system ripe for abuse.

FEMA, IMHO, was established to help re-establish basic infrastructure in the wake of a major disaster. Somehow, folks' expectations have morphed into believing FEMA is some kind of ginormous publically funded insurer against all natural or manmade perils and hazards.

I think you could sorta blame that viewpoint on FEMA to a certain extent.

What We Do

Advising on building codes and flood plain management...teaching people how to get through a disaster...helping equip local and state emergency preparedness...coordinating the federal response to a disaster...making disaster assistance available to states, communities, businesses and individuals...training emergency managers...supporting the nation's fire service...administering the national flood and crime insurance programs...the range of FEMA's activities is broad indeed and spans the life cycle of disasters.

http://www.fema.gov/about/what.shtm

Dio
1/4/2008, 05:56 PM
So, no Wii coupons then? :(

TUSooner
1/4/2008, 06:18 PM
All I ever heard after Katrina was that all Okies are self-reliant and don't need that FEMA sh*t like them pore stewpid Laweezianians do.

BUT SERIOUSLY -
I got a little FEMA help right after K while I was exiled in Ok City. The money was timely and very much appreciated. I could have had more later but I told them to stop offering it.

Homey has some good points in principle, but in practice, principles don't mean much if you are the one in need. Some people need help and it looks like FEMA is not going to give much, probly because they were burned, abused, and overspent after K. I pity the person who must RELY on FEMA.

SOONER STEAKER
1/4/2008, 06:25 PM
Why should folks get $$ for damaged trees or tree clean-up. The fed gov. isn't here to clean up peoples yards. If you ave home damage or business damage your insurance should pay the cost. Stop looking for a handout, go get a chain saw and get those damn trees off your nighbors yard.

Look on the bright side: Once you hav ethose trees cut up, sell that wood for cash!! That can be your fed. gov help money.

Sooner_Bob
1/4/2008, 09:19 PM
I'd gladly come clean up someone's yard for the free firewood.

BudSooner
1/4/2008, 09:30 PM
Seeing as how firewood is at an all time low, somewhere close to $10 a rick...i'm not sure there is alot of money for my return.

What I meant is that there were some homes that suffered serious damage as in the way of structural(i'm sure insurance covers that)but there are those morons that fail to pay insurance to cover those costs.

Debris cleanup is a bitch...i've got enough wood to use in my smoker thru the next 3 years.

usmc-sooner
1/4/2008, 09:55 PM
with all our technology and new found logic we have lost our ability to survive, way back when, when people had to make do they weren't reliant on the gubment to come save them at every bad time.

sooner_born_1960
1/5/2008, 12:16 AM
I think FEMA was saving the good stuff like trailors and debit cards for the Californians.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080105/ap_on_re_us/winter_storm_100

Sooner_Bob
1/5/2008, 09:57 AM
Seeing as how firewood is at an all time low, somewhere close to $10 a rick...i'm not sure there is alot of money for my return.

My brother was telling me that it was going for close to $70 out in Weatherford and a place near my parents was selling it for $35-$40.

Where can I get some of this $10 wood?