PDA

View Full Version : Big Game... Mangino?

jwlynn64
1/4/2008, 11:45 AM
It's been a few years since OU looked dominant in big games. I think that it started to change right after Mangino took the KU job! :eek:

Is it possible that the Big Game Mojo resides inside the Big Buddha that is the Mangino...?

Just an observation....

The VIIIth
1/4/2008, 11:47 AM
So you're saying we haven't won a big game since Mangino left?

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2008, 11:49 AM
I'd point out that KU looked totally unprepared for the intensity of the game against MU this year. Not surprising since KU hadn't been in a big, late season game in decades. But Mangino and staff sure turned it around for the OB; they came out confident and on fire. Even if they had lost, it wouldn't have been because they weren't prepared.

The_Red_Patriot
1/4/2008, 11:49 AM
2002 Rose Bowl, 05 Holiday Bowl

02, 04, 06, 07 Big 12 championships.

But other than that you are SPOT ON BABY!!!

jwlynn64
1/4/2008, 11:53 AM
2002 Rose Bowl, 05 Holiday Bowl

02, 04, 06, 07 Big 12 championships.

But other than that you are SPOT ON BABY!!!

I would argue that the 2002 Rose was with players that had been coached by Mangino so that game counts.

I wouldn't say that any of the other games that you mentioned were dominated by OU except the CCG against CU and against MU this year.

I would also like to point out that this thread is really tongue in cheek. Lighten up a little francis!

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2008, 12:07 PM
It's been a few years since OU looked dominant in big games. I think that it started to change right after Mangino took the KU job! :eek:

Is it possible that the Big Game Mojo resides inside the Big Buddha that is the Mangino...?

Just an observation....

Might be the case if he hadn't lost the biggest game of his career one game ago. Orange Bowl game was a great, and big, win, but beating MU to get to San Antonio with a shot at the NC was the game he should have won to be called "big game Mangiant"

jwlynn64
1/4/2008, 12:28 PM
... "big game ManGiant"

LOL

Well, maybe the Mojo was a combination of Mangino + ( 2 X Stoops) !

Ground_Attack
1/4/2008, 12:35 PM
I'd say our game prior to the Fiesta Bowl was quite big. Conference title game against the #1 team in the country

jwlynn64
1/4/2008, 02:11 PM
I'd say our game prior to the Fiesta Bowl was quite big. Conference title game against the #1 team in the country

As conceded in post #5 of this same thread.

My observation is not really a knock on Stoops. I happen to think we have the best coach in the country. I just think that we've lost the Big Game Mojo that we had early in the decade.

I'm predicting that next year we get the Mojo back (after Stoops hits Heather Graham) and then other teams will fear the Sooners again and all will be right with the world! ;)

OklahomaTuba
1/4/2008, 02:20 PM
The Big Nasty sums up Mangino perfectly.

He's BIG & he's got one hell of a nasty temper & personality.

The fact he got KU to the Orange bowl and won it is shows what a damn find coach he is.

I think people don't give him the credit he really deserves, and that is SAD. People just LOVE Leach, But Mangino seems to be a black sheep. I guess its all personality & looks and not results on the field.

While I Pray Stoops NEVER leaves Norman, if he did leave at some point, I would hope that one of the first numbers on Joe C's list is Mangino's agent.

OklahomaRed
1/4/2008, 03:13 PM
In the corporate (money) world, you are only as good as your last win. Only NCAA coaches get to make money off what they did in the past. In the corporate world it's, "What have you done for me lately, baby?" :D

Big Money Mangino. :D

jwlynn64
1/4/2008, 03:18 PM
I have to say that next years OU - KU game is very much anticipated.

One thing that I don't think that we are going to see is a hike to a missing punter! ;)

cjames317
1/4/2008, 03:35 PM
Did y'all notice that MANgino put out the word that no one was going to dump a water cooler on him? When his players tried to sneak up on him with the cooler (followed by the cameraman), the assistants around MANgino put the kibosh on that. I get the impression that he is not someone to mess around with. Looking forward to the OU-KU game this fall.

Big D Sooner
1/4/2008, 03:39 PM
I think that it is much more a defensive issue rather than offensive. We scored 42 last year, that should be enough to beat Boise State.

Sherpa
1/4/2008, 03:47 PM
Don't forget, Big Game Mangino lost his biggest game of the year this year...Missouri.

jwlynn64
1/4/2008, 04:04 PM
Give KU a little slack for not having been there before. If I remember right, OU lost it's bowl game and a game against the Golden domers in 1999.

I would also argue that the game last night was bigger in scope than the MU - KU game earlier.

CORNholio
1/4/2008, 10:53 PM
I think people don't give him the credit he really deserves, and that is SAD. People just LOVE Leach, But Mangino seems to be a black sheep. I guess its all personality & looks and not results on the field.

Probably. The man is my second favorite coach as well as KU my second favorite team now that the fat man has come to fruition. Nobody in 100 years of KU existance has been able to accomplish what he has done in 5 years or so. That equates to a legendary coaching job. Hope the man builds a program that can dominate the North.

Curly Bill
1/4/2008, 11:01 PM
Did y'all notice that MANgino put out the word that no one was going to dump a water cooler on him? When his players tried to sneak up on him with the cooler (followed by the cameraman), the assistants around MANgino put the kibosh on that. I get the impression that he is not someone to mess around with. Looking forward to the OU-KU game this fall.

I did not see that but I'm glad he did it. The gatorade shower has to be damn near the stupidest thing in sports.

rubyspirit
1/4/2008, 11:26 PM
We play KU next season. It won't be pretty.

BASSooner
1/5/2008, 12:06 AM
We play KU next season. It won't be pretty.
it sure won't. they play at OUr house!

yermom
1/5/2008, 12:57 AM
I have to say that next years OU - KU game is very much anticipated.

One thing that I don't think that we are going to see is a hike to a missing punter! ;)

that was KState ;)

jwlynn64
1/5/2008, 02:20 AM
Damn you... Damn you with your facts!!!! ;)