1/4/2008, 01:35 AM
Key word = timed

just sayin.

insuranceman_22
1/4/2008, 02:13 AM
Big Man - Big Balls......nice call

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2008, 03:55 AM
I love the call...I love the balls...I wish our own balls woulda been as "well placed" last night. Great call and congrats to MAngino and the team. Kansas was the first game I saw in person back in the mid 80's and I was actually bored for the second half after watching the machine roll over them all game. Nice to see 'em have some luck in a year it doesn't effect us much that matters. and glad it was him that pulled it off.

That said, every time I see his name I see "mangina" and combined with his looks and physical stature I get a bit sick!

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2008, 08:23 AM
the only reason it's well timed is because it worked.

The onside kick works and we score and Stoops is a genius.

I think I finally get some of you. You want Stoops to be ballsy but, only as long as the plays work and fits in your guidlines of "the right time"

Sooner_Bob
1/4/2008, 08:50 AM
I think I finally get some of you.

Took you long enough.

Slacker. ;)

1stTimeCaller
1/4/2008, 09:00 AM
that's what I don't get about the 'timing' comments.

Would it have been better to attempt the fake punt when they had the gunners/receivers covered?

sooneron
1/4/2008, 09:12 AM

I think I finally get some of you. You want Stoops to be ballsy but, only as long as the plays work and fits in your guidlines of "the right time"
Disagree. If it worked, I still would have been like WTF? that was foolish/lucky. Supposedly, less than 15% of onside kicks work out. I am sure that fake punts have a MUCH higher rate of success than that. We kick the PAT, and pin them deep, momentum is still on our side.

OKLA21FAN
1/4/2008, 09:19 AM
my question about the fake punt would be, was it really called on the sideline or was it one of those automatic 'audible' delaios like the Sooners ran against Bamer a few years ago.

much of the 'ballzyness' comes from the defensive alignment and here the defense is covering the punt formation.

was it ballzy? of course

Curly Bill
1/4/2008, 10:13 AM
Disagree. If it worked, I still would have been like WTF? that was foolish/lucky. Supposedly, less than 15% of onside kicks work out. I am sure that fake punts have a MUCH higher rate of success than that. We kick the PAT, and pin them deep, momentum is still on our side.

What he ^^^^^^^ said.

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2008, 10:55 AM

I heard on the radio that the ambush onside kick (unexpected) works around 60% of the time. Not a perfect source, but I believe it's WAY better than the "everyone is lined up for an onside kick" success rate

All their players were 15 yards off the ball and no one was in the middle. I like the call and if Hartley kicks it 2 more yards, he recovers.

Do I think it cost us the game? No. That D we fielded wasn't going to stop them. The only chance was to outscore them.

sooneron
1/4/2008, 11:17 AM
I heard on the radio that the ambush onside kick (unexpected) works around 60% of the time. Not a perfect source, but I believe it's WAY better than the "everyone is lined up for an onside kick" success rate

All their players were 15 yards off the ball and no one was in the middle. I like the call and if Hartley kicks it 2 more yards, he recovers.

Do I think it cost us the game? No. That D we fielded wasn't going to stop them. The only chance was to outscore them.
We had stopped them in the two previous series and them getting the ball on the 38 was all they needed to get some bounce back. This team obviously hadn't practiced that call enough, as the only OU player near the ball was the kicker. Us getting the ball on the 40 was no guarantee to a score. We could have held them one more time and gotten the ball as much as 10 yards further upfield after an average punt return.

I just think it was the wrong call after a failed 2 pt conversion halfway through the 3rd Q. I don't think it lost the game for us, there were too many other mitigating factors, but it didn't help.

planosooner
1/4/2008, 11:21 AM
I love the call...I love the balls...

????

The_Red_Patriot
1/4/2008, 11:27 AM

Totally agree with you.

How can you time a trick play? Trick plays aren't suppose to be timed correct? If they were then we would all know whats coming.

If we recover that kick the momentum of the game sky rockets.

OUmillenium
1/4/2008, 11:29 AM
orientation...confirmed

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2008, 11:30 AM
We had stopped them in the two previous series and them getting the ball on the 38 was all they needed to get some bounce back. This team obviously hadn't practiced that call enough, as the only OU player near the ball was the kicker. Us getting the ball on the 40 was no guarantee to a score. We could have held them one more time and gotten the ball as much as 10 yards further upfield after an average punt return.

I just think it was the wrong call after a failed 2 pt conversion halfway through the 3rd Q. I don't think it lost the game for us, there were too many other mitigating factors, but it didn't help.

I think they practiced it fine. That the way I believe it's supposed to look. When there is no one covering the middle of the field for WVU, the kicker just kicks dead straight and covers it himself. The rest of the players help sell it by running straight. That's the way it looked to me, and would have been perfect if he'd kicked it farther

The_Red_Patriot
1/4/2008, 11:31 AM

yea....we would have to stop them on defense first