PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of offenses

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2008, 12:22 AM
Does anyone have any season comparisons between the 2000 offense and 2007 offense?

Last night OU had 419 total yards and 28 points.
In the 2000 Orange Bowl, OU had less than 300 total yards and only 13 points.

So which offense was easier to prepare for in the bowl game?

Heupel was 25 of 39 for 214 yards, 0 TD, and 1 INT.
Bradford was 21 of 33 for 242 yards, 2 TD, and 1 INT.

What does this all mean?

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2008, 12:26 AM
It means the 2000 OB was a tight, defensive battle and the 07 Fiesta was a shoot out. It also means WVU had yards and points to concede in exchange for the clock running in the 4th quarter due to the lead.

BASSooner
1/4/2008, 12:35 AM
Defense is a HUGE problem and those are just two things:

Scheme
Speed

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2008, 12:42 AM
It means the 2000 OB was a tight, defensive battle and the 07 Fiesta was a shoot out.

But we certainly would have tried to score 28 points in 2000 if we could have, right?

Sooner47
1/4/2008, 12:53 AM
Does anyone have any season comparisons between the 2000 offense and 2007 offense?

Last night OU had 419 total yards and 28 points.
In the 2000 Orange Bowl, OU had less than 300 total yards and only 13 points.

So which offense was easier to prepare for in the bowl game?

Heupel was 25 of 39 for 214 yards, 0 TD, and 1 INT.
Bradford was 21 of 33 for 242 yards, 2 TD, and 1 INT.

What does this all mean?

Why don't you compare the defensive stats for those two games while you're at it? Maybe you just don't want everybody to throw up.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2008, 12:55 AM
We already know about the defensive performance. What about the offensive performance?

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2008, 01:03 AM
But we certainly would have tried to score 28 points in 2000 if we could have, right?

Sure. I'm just saying the games were different and for whatever reason defenses dominated that game. In 2000, the offense was losing effectiveness at the end of the season (rumor was that Heupel had an injured elbow), but the defense was getting down right dominant. FSU was #1 offense in the country that year and we shut them out. My only point was that the teams were different and the game was different. So what?

soonernation
1/4/2008, 10:20 AM
We already know about the defensive performance. What about the offensive performance?

The defensive performance is the difference. OU's defense held FSU to ZERO points and 302 yards of total offense. Those included 26 rushing yards and 276 passing. In the Fiesta OU let WVU go through them with ease. OU allowed 48 points with 525 yards of total offense. Those included 349 yards rushing and 176 yards passing. OU looked confused all night on defense. The other thing that killed OU was the penalties. 13 penalties for 113 yards is unacceptable.

The Maestro
1/4/2008, 10:31 AM
Other than a slow start by Sam and running the ball so much when down big late I have no problems with the offense. The addition of DeMarco and Malcolm would have been nice, but they were hurt.

The issues with this team for next year are on defense.

OUmillenium
1/4/2008, 11:23 AM
yep

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2008, 12:15 PM
Other than a slow start by Sam and running the ball so much when down big late I have no problems with the offense. The addition of DeMarco and Malcolm would have been nice, but they were hurt.

The issues with this team for next year are on defense.

The lack of starters on D also hurt more than people talk about. Alot of those big plays by WVU could have been limited to normal gains with the player in the correct position or better tackling. If Granger occupies 2 blockers in the middle as he often did, the ends could have done a better job of containing things that got wide. Everything adds up. Can't blame the coaches for Reggie's absence, but the Holmes and Granger thing does reflect on the program environment. I think Sam was a little off because of the early pressure - we couldn't run or protect the passer. That's a reflection of the game preparation on offense IMO. If they have that many guys in the box, they should be susceptible to getting burned somewhere. Watching KU last night, VT was being aggressive on the rush and KU responded with a little flip pass over the middle to a running back. Got 15-20 yards a couple of times and really slowed down the rush. It was either good preparation or great real-time adjustments, but I didn't see that out of OU in the first half.

TMcGee86
1/4/2008, 12:31 PM
If they have that many guys in the box, they should be susceptible to getting burned somewhere. Watching KU last night, VT was being aggressive on the rush and KU responded with a little flip pass over the middle to a running back. Got 15-20 yards a couple of times and really slowed down the rush. It was either good preparation or great real-time adjustments, but I didn't see that out of OU in the first half.

Saw the same thing last night. Thought the same thing. Would have been nice to see something like that.

Remember the shuttle (shovel) pass? Those were good times. Where did all that go?