PDA

View Full Version : New Defensive Scheme

TXBOOMER
1/3/2008, 08:14 PM
I think it was very arrogant of our coaching staff to line up in our Roy base nickel package against a speed based spread (run) offense. We paid zero respect to their speed. I truly believe as long as we continue to do this against good competition in these bowl games we are going to get lit up. Let any coach with great speed athletes prepare for several weeks to attack that defense and we are going to be in trouble. USC dumped on it. Boise State dumped on it. WV dumped on it. Bring it back next year and you can insert name here ______ dumped on it. Run a true 4-3 scheme and mix up your blitzes and stunts, Roy Williams graduated several years ago. Let's go kick somebody in the mouth. Let's be the hunter instead of the hunted.

While I'm on the topic. Why do we need to pull a guard on 4th and 1 and give them time to hit the back in the backfield. Did our coaches not watch the worst defense in our league blow that play up on 4th down in Lubbock? Quit the zone blocking BS and let your bigger stronger guy fire out and clear his hole.

Boomer Sooner

MI Sooner
1/3/2008, 11:15 PM
I agree about the run blocking schemes on short yardage. I must not have been paying close enough attention, because I thought we were in the base 4-3 a lot last night. Isn't Reynolds the LB who comes off the field in the nickel set? I thought he was out there a lot.

Redgiant2
1/4/2008, 12:57 AM
The scheme is NOT what cost OU the game. It had nothing whatsoever to do with it. BAD fundamentals, **** poor heart, and an appalling lack of discipline is what gets this defense beat. They've been this way since Mike left and it's just getting worse. The scheme has zilch, nada, bupkus to do with it. I don't care how you switch it up if you play it as ****ty as these guys do you're going to get beat. Toss in the preparation scheme they have an it's a disaster in the making.

The offensive line has about as much agility as an 80 year old man. If they weren't so concerned with them being fat asses and instead focused on trading a little size for some speed and quickness they'd be alright.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2008, 04:09 AM
How can everyone in this thread be right? Well they can, but most right is TXBoomer's observations about the run blocking...just pound 'em head on if we have the size and strength advantage.

TXBOOMER
1/4/2008, 08:34 AM
I agree about the run blocking schemes on short yardage. I must not have been paying close enough attention, because I thought we were in the base 4-3 a lot last night. Isn't Reynolds the LB who comes off the field in the nickel set? I thought he was out there a lot.

It is a 4-3 set but they constantly drop the linebacker out of the box to go into more of a nickel set to keep receivers in front of them. I'm sick of it. I want them to be aggressive. Although, I must agree with Redgiant about the lack of intensity and discipline. KU showed us what discipline and heart are all about.

McSoonerDad
1/4/2008, 09:06 AM
Amen to all of you. its amazing how many things are/went wrong to a team that is supposed to be a contender. Really, look back and litterally count the mistakes that were made and continue to be made. Its really sad and frustrating. It doesnt take 5 star player to win. Helps but look at NC Baseball team. 25 no names win it all. Disipline does it. You can tell those kids love playing for Mangino. They respect him, especially after last night. They see what hard work can get them. They dont expect it to happen on their own.
WE need a defensive force calling the plays and working this defense. The offense looks promising but D is suspect at best.

TripleOption14
1/4/2008, 09:32 AM
I think its time for Brent to just shallow is pride and get rid of his ego and simply ask for help. Doesn't mean he's a bad DC he just needs help. How bout taking a trip to talk to some of the NFL DC's or other great college DC's. How bout going to talk to Bud Foster or someone. Remember when teams used to do that w/ OU when Mike was around? EVERYONE that was in coaching wanted to come to OU to see "whats was going on down here?" Now i think the favor needs to be returned. Its time to get the clipboard out, it's time to make some phone calls, and it's time to take some notes. All in the name of getting better.

McSoonerDad
1/4/2008, 09:43 AM
:pop: Nothing wrong with trying to learn something new or improving. I think it would be "the" smart thing to do. I'm sure we'll see another increase in tickets next year to cover his travel expenses for doing so. We should get a rebate next year.

r5TPsooner
1/4/2008, 09:46 AM
MY IDEA FOR NEW DEFENSIVE SCHEME:

Tackle.

The_Red_Patriot
1/4/2008, 10:44 AM
I know we don't and never have used a spy but......don't you think we should try it against Pat Freaking White?

McSoonerDad
1/4/2008, 12:11 PM
I actually saw Lofton shadowing him quite few times. but there was always an offensive player stopping him before he could get near White. I think they knew who was spying and who was not. Made it easy to defend.

TMcGee86
1/4/2008, 12:23 PM
I like Ven, I want to defend him, but 43+ pts given up in three straight BCS games is not something a rational person can defend.

We scored more than Kansas did last night, and ours were all on O.

That says all I need to know about which side of the ball needs the attention.

dabien
1/4/2008, 03:41 PM
ITS TIME TO FIRE BRENT VENABLES.
http://upenn.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8302045814
JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP

After watching WVU game and seeing the OU defense be confused like they were drunk and dont remember what they did last night AGAIN...........
ITS TIME TO TAKE ACTION AND FIRE BRENT VENABLES.

First off: WHO CAN FORGET THE BOISE ST. GAME? LITERALLY OUTCOACHED!
How did OU lose to sorry teams like Colorado, who's QB has the lowest RATING IN NCAA?
How did OU lose to A WAC (whack) TEAM?
WHO CAN FORGET WHEN WE PLAYED USC AND IT WAS THE BIGGEST EMBARRASSMENT EVER, NO OTHER TEAM HAS BEEN BEAT AS BAD!

bob
1/4/2008, 04:01 PM
I didn't know how bad our pass defense was until I saw the ranking for the last four years on another thread. And with all the talent and experience we had this year we should have been at the top in the country. I wonder if Stoops would ever fire Venables or even ask him to look for another job. Same for Wright.

JohnnyMack
1/4/2008, 04:02 PM
ITS TIME TO FIRE BRENT VENABLES.
http://upenn.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8302045814
JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP

After watching WVU game and seeing the OU defense be confused like they were drunk and dont remember what they did last night AGAIN...........
ITS TIME TO TAKE ACTION AND FIRE BRENT VENABLES.

First off: WHO CAN FORGET THE BOISE ST. GAME? LITERALLY OUTCOACHED!
How did OU lose to sorry teams like Colorado, who's QB has the lowest RATING IN NCAA?
How did OU lose to A WAC (whack) TEAM?
WHO CAN FORGET WHEN WE PLAYED USC AND IT WAS THE BIGGEST EMBARRASSMENT EVER, NO OTHER TEAM HAS BEEN BEAT AS BAD!

**** off.

dabien
1/4/2008, 04:07 PM
I didn't know how bad our pass defense was until I saw the ranking for the last four years on another thread. And with all the talent and experience we had this year we should have been at the top in the country. I wonder if Stoops would ever fire Venables or even ask him to look for another job. Same for Wright.

Yes after Roy Williams left, indeed our secondary has been porous. We allowed big plays. But still losing to Texas Tech and Colorado... Losing to Oregon even though we think the refs cheated us, it's actually the bonehead Venables who doesn't know how to coach.

Friendships are friendships, coaching is coaching, Bob Stoops is letting relationships get in his way, he needs to realize what is wrong and deal with it. Hopefully Venables will find a head coaching job at a crappy college soon enough.