PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Sooners

DUCKHUNTDAVE
1/3/2008, 05:41 PM
Hey guys, first post here, long time reader.... The game has gotten everyone down like myself. The question I keep asking myself is what other coach is there? We have the best. He made an error in judgement I believe on the onside kick try. But that's Bob. That's his style. Risk taker..sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I know most or all of you have seen this video, but instantly made me feel better. If you haven't seen it enjoy, if you have seen it, watch it again. And let's move on! Be proud you're a Sooner and keep supporting them...they'll be back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EskLrCFyBJo

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 09:54 PM
They'll be back with who? I bet the team is rethinking their commitment to this type of coach. I'm sure there is a lot of mumbling among the guys.

We might have thought the other teams were better than us in bowl losses in the past, but this year it's clear we have a coaching problem at big games.

I for one don't think WV is a better team than us. I solely put the lost on wrong plays called. Period.

DUCKHUNTDAVE
1/4/2008, 12:07 AM
The game is based around the most important position on the field, which is QB. We have one of best prospective QB's in the game presently. Sam was one of the leaders in passing efficiency in Division I. He was shaky in the game at times which is expected from a freshman. This kid will continue to grow and mature, and I'll bet he'll be in the Heisman talks as early as next year, because he's going to lead this team to great things. I'm not sure what the answer is or what has happened to OU in the last couple of bowl games. If Bob keeps winning Big 12 Championships, he'll soon put us in another opportunity for the big game. If we keep getting there, eventually we'll win. I'd rather get a shot every couple of years versus having coach Mac the Clapper, who only sniffs a National Championship every 30 years.

IronSooner
1/4/2008, 12:10 AM
If Bob keeps winning Big 12 Championships, he'll soon put us in another opportunity for the big game. If we keep getting there, eventually we'll win.

I'm not sure the law of averages applies to BCS bowls.

DUCKHUNTDAVE
1/4/2008, 02:46 AM
Somewhat agree, but we definitely can't win if we're not there to begin with. He's been giving the team ample opportunities; just need to get over the hump. Manning cleared his name by winning a Super Bowl, Red Sox cleared their name by winning a Championship. Bob will be known again as Big Game Bob in the near future; I'm certain of it.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2008, 03:01 AM
I thought last night was gonna be the night and if we'd pulled off that onside and been missing one less defensive star it woulda been IMO.

If Bob and the staff saw nothing besides what they thought they'd see and our guys...mainly the backups...didn't listen and didn't execute, then what can we say? 2 more yards and Hartley woulda been right there to recover his own kick and we'd have drained all hope and momentum from the West vaginians.

Unfortunately, everyone made their mistakes and we lost it. I'm still a Sooner, I'll always be a Sooner, and we WILL win the conference and our bowl game next year. And if we're who we know we are we'll be playing a week later than this year.

BOOMER!!!!!

oudivesherpa
1/4/2008, 05:58 PM
OU just wasn't prepared to play. One call does not make an entire game.

dabien
1/4/2008, 06:03 PM
Bob Stoops is a fabulous coach, I wouldn't want him replaced.
however for Brent Venables and the terrible secondary....
I have said time and time again, that OU has the top run D, it needs to be factored into having good pass D, which OU struggles against.
Reminds me of the steelers with their terrible pass D, thats why they do 3-4 zone blitzes,
maybe OU needs a change.

cvsooner
1/4/2008, 06:09 PM
Our pass D wasn't the problem against WVU.

SoonerBorn68
1/4/2008, 06:10 PM
They'll be back with who? I bet the team is rethinking their commitment to this type of coach. I'm sure there is a lot of mumbling among the guys.

It's all Bob's fault. :rolleyes:

We might have thought the other teams were better than us in bowl losses in the past, but this year it's clear we have a coaching problem at big games.

It's clear you're a spoiled fan. Lighten up.

I for one don't think WV is a better team than us. I solely put the lost on wrong plays called. Period.

They were on Jan. 2. Why don't you cry a little more. I swear, I don't like losing but we're Big 12 Champs, 11-3, and Sooners. If you want to cry like a little bitch, put on some orange and looked stunned. Time to kick this fool off the bandwagon.

dabien
1/4/2008, 06:11 PM
are u guys seriously thinking OU has a good secondary? We have the players, look at the statistics past 4 years.
Facts are facts man. our secondary blows.

Jello Biafra
1/4/2008, 06:15 PM
are u guys seriously thinking OU has a good secondary? We have the players, look at the statistics past 4 years.
Facts are facts man. our secondary blows.

how does your "homie" like you saying that? since he's part of that secondary and all.....

MissouriSooner
1/4/2008, 06:15 PM
Facts are facts man. our secondary COACHING blows.

Fixed that for ya.

KC//CRIMSON
1/4/2008, 06:21 PM
Hey guys, first post here, long time reader.... The game has gotten everyone down like myself. The question I keep asking myself is what other coach is there? We have the best. He made an error in judgement I believe on the onside kick try. But that's Bob. That's his style. Risk taker..sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I know most or all of you have seen this video, but instantly made me feel better. If you haven't seen it enjoy, if you have seen it, watch it again. And let's move on! Be proud you're a Sooner and keep supporting them...they'll be back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EskLrCFyBJo

We do not have "the best" coach out there. To say that is complete homerism. I would dare to say he isn't even an elite coach. An elite coach doesn't lose four straight BCS Bowls.

Bob Stoops is a good coach. We'll leave it at that for now.

zeke
1/4/2008, 06:23 PM
We seem to play the best when we have been doubted. When we are favorites or talked about as one of the top teams in the country we struggle to win or we get beat.

I think its a problem that Stoops will fix.

I think OU wins the Big 12 next year.

The thing that worries me is that if we are tied with a couple of other teams at 10-2 or even 12-0 we wont go to the big game. Our last 4 BCS game sort of tells the voters that we dont belong if we are tied with somebody.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/4/2008, 06:40 PM
We do not have "the best" coach out there. To say that is complete homerism. I would dare to say he isn't even an elite coach. An elite coach doesn't lose four straight BCS Bowls.

Bob Stoops is a good coach. We'll leave it at that for now.

Right now he is not the best.

A good coach likes to clap his hands and win Holiday bowls.

An elite coach wins 5 BigXII championships with 5 different qbs and goes to 6 BCS bowls in 9 years.

KC//CRIMSON
1/4/2008, 06:51 PM
Right now he is not the best.

A good coach likes to clap his hands and win Holiday bowls.

An elite coach wins 5 BigXII championships with 5 different qbs and goes to 6 BCS bowls in 9 years.

Sorry, but 2-4 is not "elite" any way you sunshine pump it.

hink4769
1/4/2008, 06:53 PM

Who are the elite coaches out there today? Pete Carroll and who else? Who do you put ahead of Stoops? Urban Meyer? Nope, just lost to Michigan in the Citrus Bowl, probably a worse bowl loss than we had. Jim Tressel? Dominating the Big 10 doesnt mean much today, and he may be on his way to back to back embarrasements in the NC game. Les Miles? Please. Carroll, Meyer, and Tressel are the only ones I would even think of putting ahead of Stoops. That's elite in my book.

KC//CRIMSON
1/4/2008, 06:58 PM
Carroll, Meyer, and Tressel are the only ones I would think of putting ahead of Stoops. That's elite in my book.

that's all you had to say.

dabien
1/4/2008, 07:39 PM
Only two coaches I put ahead of Bob Stoops and always have.
Pete Carroll and Jim Tressel. Pete has always been a big game coach, and same for Jim Tressel.
I wish they can face each other, Jim Tressel is probably one of the best ever to coach at OSU.
Elite is elite, there are far and few of them.
Bob Stoops is seriously turning into a Lloyd Carr.
Win the NC, placed on a pedastal, think everything is perfect, has a ton of pressure to perform, and chokes in the big game.
Bob Stoops is still a far better coach and recruiter than lloyd carr,
but i think their careers are pretty much parallel.

The only coach that might join the "elite" group is Nick Saban. We will see in the future, Urban Meyer I do not believe is elite yet.

DUCKHUNTDAVE
1/4/2008, 10:49 PM

He said it perfectly.. I'd call top 4 Elite, out of what 100? Wouldn't you?

KC//CRIMSON
1/4/2008, 10:59 PM
He said it perfectly.. I'd call top 4 Elite, out of what 100? Wouldn't you?

Fourth place could be split with a lot of coaches, regardless Stoops isn't "the best."

Big D Sooner
1/4/2008, 11:07 PM
Bob Stoops is not Lloyd Carr. Lloyd Carr, at least for the last few years, could not beat Ohio State. Stoops has had a ton of success against Texas. Coach Stoops is having trouble winning bowls right now but he has delivered in the past. I think that if you give him some time, maybe even next year, he will turn his post season luck around.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/5/2008, 01:35 AM
Bob Stoops is not Lloyd Carr. Lloyd Carr, at least for the last few years, could not beat Ohio State. Stoops has had a ton of success against Texas. Coach Stoops is having trouble winning bowls right now but he has delivered in the past. I think that if you give him some time, maybe even next year, he will turn his post season luck around.Yeah, baby! Optimism always feels better than pessismism!

AllAboutThe'O'
1/5/2008, 01:38 AM
Only two coaches I put ahead of Bob Stoops and always have.
Pete Carroll and Jim Tressel. Pete has always been a big game coach, and same for Jim Tressel.
I wish they can face each other, Jim Tressel is probably one of the best ever to coach at OSU.
Buckeyes will play at USC next season. We'll see who the better coach is then.

OK2LA
1/5/2008, 02:02 AM
Bob Stoops is seriously turning into a Lloyd Carr.
Win the NC, placed on a pedastal, think everything is perfect, has a ton of pressure to perform, and chokes in the big game.
Bob Stoops is still a far better coach and recruiter than lloyd carr,
but i think their careers are pretty much parallel.

The major difference between these two:

Lloyd Carr's record against Ohio State: 6-7 (1-6 against Tressel)

Bob Stoop's record against Texas: 6-3

rubyspirit
1/6/2008, 01:42 PM
It's all Bob's fault. :rolleyes:
Yes, he needs to get with the times. Learn trick plays, 2-pt conversions, and adding runs by the QB.

It's clear you're a spoiled fan. Lighten up.
Not true. There's no reason we were running the ball with 8 mins left and 3 TDs behind. The ball should have gone in the air on the 1st or 2nd down. It was bad coaching in the Fiesta dude. Fess up.

They were on Jan. 2. Why don't you cry a little more. I swear, I don't like losing but we're Big 12 Champs, 11-3, and Sooners. If you want to cry like a little bitch, put on some orange and looked stunned. Time to kick this fool off the bandwagon.
There no question we're the best AT HOME. What about competing nationwide?

I'm not crying like a little bitch. It's better than being a blind bitch who can't see there's a problem. Read my lips ... 4 embarrassing bowl losses in front of the entire country. There's a coaching problem.

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2008, 02:07 PM
The game is based around the most important position on the field, which is QB. We have one of best prospective QB's in the game presently. Sam was one of the leaders in passing efficiency in Division I. He was shaky in the game at times which is expected from a freshman. This kid will continue to grow and mature, and I'll bet he'll be in the Heisman talks as early as next year, because he's going to lead this team to great things. I'm not sure what the answer is or what has happened to OU in the last couple of bowl games. If Bob keeps winning Big 12 Championships, he'll soon put us in another opportunity for the big game. If we keep getting there, eventually we'll win. I'd rather get a shot every couple of years versus having coach Mac the Clapper, who only sniffs a National Championship every 30 years.

I disagree. the game is not based on the QB. We scored 28 points, and probably could have scored more.

With that said, defense helps tremendously. OU was outcoached by an interim coaching staff.

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/6/2008, 02:58 PM
:rolleyes: negativity really seems to ease the pain of the loss, don't you think?

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2008, 03:07 PM
:rolleyes: negativity really seems to ease the pain of the loss, don't you think?

Well if that negativity is the truth, then yes it does. Or do you think our defense was coached well and made good adjustments during the Fiesta Bowl?

dabien
1/6/2008, 11:41 PM
Well if that negativity is the truth, then yes it does. Or do you think our defense was coached well and made good adjustments during the Fiesta Bowl?

that is true, but to my lloyd carr argument. Jim Tressel is a better coach than Lloyd Carr, and I think he is a better coach than Stoops. I feel like Tressel had lesser teams than Bob Stoops, but he was always prepared for the BCS games. Just look at his record.

Tressel did not win his games by luck, although there is a bit of it involved, and he loses defensive players every year but he still has a stout defense.

Fire Brent Venables and get this over with!

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/7/2008, 10:33 AM

no< i agree that the defensive side of the ball could have been handled better. But honestly, it's over. We can't go back and fix it now, we can only hope that things get better. I'm not going to sit here and remain p!$$ed off. After the emotional rollercoaster that is our BCS history, i've learned not to get too high with the highs or too low with the lows. Granted, I do feel something's gotta give, but remaining stressed over it, is ridiculous. whatever happens, happens. Irregardless, we are all sooner fans, we just have to hope for the best, especially with things that are out of our control.

just sayin'

TexasLidig8r
1/7/2008, 11:12 AM
It has seemed like hornfans on here for the last week. (absent the site being down)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/7/2008, 11:48 AM
It has seemed like hornfans on here for the last week. (absent the site being down)What, those guys whine all year long?

TheUnnamedSooner
1/7/2008, 12:08 PM
Sorry, but 2-4 is not "elite" any way you sunshine pump it.

You're basing his "eliteness" off of 6 games in 9 years. I was basing his status by a lot more than that.

dabien
1/7/2008, 01:13 PM
You're basing his "eliteness" off of 6 games in 9 years. I was basing his status by a lot more than that.

Elite is determined by BCS games. Elite means cream of the crop, there are many coaches that can reach BCS and not win (aka lloyd carr bobby bowden ever since he lost to OU? virginia tech?)