PDA

View Full Version : How many "legitimate" NC's does Alabama have?

achiro
1/3/2008, 04:28 PM
I know it's been discussed a bunch how they claim everything thrown out there as a NC but was wondering how many they really have based on the "normal" criteria?

OKLA21FAN
1/3/2008, 04:29 PM
infinity + 1

Jason White's Third Knee
1/3/2008, 04:30 PM
infinity + 1

Damnit! I was gonna say 83.

StormySooner-IN
1/3/2008, 05:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I-A_national_football_championship

AP Titles
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i57/strmchasr1406/MNC.jpg

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
1/3/2008, 06:00 PM
This is a very good site to look up most anything that has to do with CFB.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/index.php

AlabamaSooner
1/3/2008, 06:25 PM
This is a question that comes up a lot. Being a Bama fan as well, I say 7.

1961 - AP, Coaches
1964 - AP, Coaches
1965 - AP
1973 - Coaches
1978 - AP
1979 - AP, Coaches
1992 - AP, Coaches

Of course, these are the "recognized" polls of today and not any retroactive polls. I've always been split on the issue of retroactive polls. I do feel that teams should be rewarded for their accomplishments and I think retroactive polls can be a good way to do that. On the other hand, I do kind of wish EVERYONE would get on the same page and claim either just AP, AP/Coaches, etc.

The titles of 25, 26, 30, 34, and 41 are the additional titles that the Barners love to debate. Either way, Alabama had a great tradition even prior to 1950. The 1926 Rose Bowl win is really what is credited to bringing southern football to what it is today. Bama went 4-1-1 in the Rose Bowl from 1926-1946 which was a big accomplishment for a southern team to win, much less be invited. Ok, so that's my thoughts. :P

Tidefan36854
1/3/2008, 06:28 PM
It depends on the criteria. There is no NCAA recognized National Champion, so in actuality, it boils down to what criteria is used. The list above is AP polls only. Using just the AP and Coach's Polls, Alabama has 7. This what the school used to claim before the they added the retro titles. Alabama is doing the same thing Notre Dame, USC and others do by claiming national titles before the Poll era began. The only year doesn't make sense to me is 1941. On the other hand, Alabama was the defending '64 and '65 NC and even though we were the only undefeated, untied team in football that year, Notre Dame and Michigan State split the title because of the infamous "Game of the Century" game - or was that the "Tie of the Century" game?:D I'd bet if OU had any pre poll era years that they were clearly the best team in the Nation they's claim it too.

OKLA21FAN
1/3/2008, 06:30 PM
I'd bet if OU had any pre poll era years that they were clearly the best team in the Nation they's claim it too.
i'll take that bet

no where is my money?

AlabamaSooner
1/3/2008, 06:43 PM
It depends on the criteria. There is no NCAA recognized National Champion, so in actuality, it boils down to what criteria is used. The list above is AP polls only. Using just the AP and Coach's Polls, Alabama has 7. This what the school used to claim before the they added the retro titles. Alabama is doing the same thing Notre Dame, USC and others do by claiming national titles before the Poll era began. The only year doesn't make sense to me is 1941. On the other hand, Alabama was the defending '64 and '65 NC and even though we were the only undefeated, untied team in football that year, Notre Dame and Michigan State split the title because of the infamous "Game of the Century" game - or was that the "Tie of the Century" game?:D I'd bet if OU had any pre poll era years that they were clearly the best team in the Nation they's claim it too.

Yeah, 1941 is bogus.

That statement is something I never had the balls to say...lol.

Either way, crimson = championships. Orange = ugly.