PDA

View Full Version : A Comparison: Bob Stoops - Tom Osborne

Octavian
1/3/2008, 04:04 PM
Before Tom Osborne won his first National Championship at Nebraska.....in his 22nd year of coaching....

his bowl record was:

8-12

Before beating Miami to win the 1994 National Championship, Osborne's Huskers had dropped 7 straight bowl games.

Nebraska followed that bowl losing streak with 3 NCs in the next 4 years.

Bob is 4-5 in bowl games now and 2-4 in BCS bowls. Obviously that's not good....and definitely not meeting Oklahoma's expectations. Its obviously frustrating....and at times its infuriating. There may indeed need to be some alterations in the program. But please....let's not go crazy and run off one of the best coaches in the game. Stoops has owned the Big XII Conference. He brought us #7. And if we stick with him, I'm still faithful he'll bring us #8. And maybe #9 and #10. It's still relatively early in his career (hopefully). Next year will be only his 10th year.

Nebraska didn't can Dr. Tom after more than 20 years of mediocre bowl results. They stuck behind him because they knew he was an excellent coach and it eventually paid off many times over. We shouldn't lower our expectations. But we should keep everything in perspective. That's difficult to swallow for us but we've just got to do it.

The Maestro
1/3/2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I already had a Nebraska fan e-mail and ask the question...what does OU and hippie lettuce have in common?

Both smoked in bowls.

It's been a long time since that "cornhusker and corn flake" joke was good stuff.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 04:09 PM
Before Tom Osborne won his first National Championship at Nebraska.....in his 22nd year of coaching....

his bowl record was:

8-12

Before beating Miami to win the 1994 National Championship, Osborne's Huskers had dropped 7 straight bowl games.

Nebraska followed that bowl losing streak with 3 NCs in the next 4 years.

Bob is 4-5 in bowl games now and 2-4 in BCS bowls. Obviously that's not good....and definitely not meeting Oklahoma's expectations. Its obviously frustrating....and at times its infuriating. There may indeed need to be some alterations in the program. But please....let's not go crazy and run off one of the best coaches in the game. Stoops has owned the Big XII Conference. He brought us #7. And if we stick with him, I'm still faithful he'll bring us #8. And maybe #9 and #10. It's still relatively early in his career (hopefully). Next year will be only his 10th year.

Nebraska didn't can Dr. Tom after more than 20 years of mediocre bowl results. They stuck behind him because they knew he was an excellent coach and it eventually paid off many times over. We shouldn't lower our expectations. But we should keep everything in perspective. That's difficult to swallow for us but we've just got to do it.
Best post of the last 24 hours. Easily.

soonersn20xx
1/3/2008, 04:13 PM
Some of you people need to stop this "aggie" mentality in defending Stoops with ignorant comparisons and "things could be worse".

The problem is very simple and narrow, we are not just losing bowl games.............we have players unmotivated, flat, uncaring, impassionate and foolish losing bowl games.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 04:16 PM
The board needs to institute some kind of literacy requirement.

schooner phil
1/3/2008, 04:18 PM
o big game bob, where have you gone? this has nothing to do with our play in the fiesta bowl last night. We lost the Fiesta Bowl when we won the Big 12.

has anyone else noticed, all bob talks about during the season is winning the big 12 south and the big 12. it is all he cares about, and all he has the team focused on, and anything after the big 12, is just a bonus game.....tell me, when was the last time you heard Pete Carroll, or the Sweater Vest at OSU talk about their highest goal for the season, and all they are focused on, being the conference championship, well they don't....from day 1 their eyes are set on the national championship/rose bowl, while big game bob is still focused on winning the big 12. guess what? you win your conference en route to the national championship and i don't want to hear anything about having to play an extra game... the past 2 seasons, OU has completely given up after winning the big 12, like they already accomplished their goal for the season. the team that beat mizzou 38-17, should have beat wvu 38-17.

until then, we will remain one step behind the USCs and OSUs.

it is not an issue of playing ability, the athletes that OU has are the best in the nation, but rather the staff behind them attempting to motivate them. we played lazy last night, and we were coached lazy. when was the last time you saw bob animated in a bowl game like he is animated at an OU/TX game, or a Big 12 Champ game????

a 4-5 bowl record in 9 seasons..... while he has a 6-3 record against Texas and 5 Big 12 Championships.....makes absolutely zero sense.

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 04:20 PM
Correction:

Comparison: Bob Stoops - Marty Schottenheimer

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 04:21 PM
I think Bob will change his approach to bowl games after last night.

As for Petey and sweatervest, I seem to recall them saying that their primary goal each year is to win the conference (and, yes, go to the Rose Bowl).

soonersn20xx
1/3/2008, 04:23 PM

I believe he said that last year after Boise state, I personally have lost confidence in the man in regards for preparing to play bowl games..........this is why we are being referred to by the nation as Choklahoma.

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 04:23 PM
Also I'm not so sure your comparing apples to apples. The game has changed too much to really use these two against one another. If Osborne was still running that option attack in today's game he would still be searching for his first NC.

TXBOOMER
1/3/2008, 04:24 PM

As for Petey and sweatervest, I seem to recall them saying that their primary goal each year is to win the conference (and, yes, go to the Rose Bowl).

Why would the he change his approach after this one as compared to not changing his approach after the last one?

Octavian
1/3/2008, 04:24 PM
Correction:

Comparison: Bob Stoops - Marty Schottenheimer

I'm certainly no NFL enthusiast so correct me if I'm wrong but...

Marty Schottenheimer never won a championship.

Octavian
1/3/2008, 04:26 PM
I believe he said that last year after Boise state, I personally have lost confidence in the man in regards for preparing to play bowl games..........this is why we are being referred to by the nation as Choklahoma.

well....if you've lost confidence then changes definitely need to be made.

We can't allow soonersn20xx to be disappointed. You've done so much for us over the years....

soonersn20xx
1/3/2008, 04:27 PM
well....if you've lost confidence then changes definitely need to be made.

We can't allow soonersn20xx to be disappointed. You've done so much for us over the years....
You need to direct your sardonic wit at Bob Stoops and his staff instead of truthsayers.

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 04:27 PM
I'm certainly no NFL enthusiast so correct me if I'm wrong but...

Marty Schottenheimer never won a championship.

Nope. Can't win post season games either. Great great coach during the regular season. Come post season time it just falls apart.

And Stoops won that title almost a decade ago. How long is that gonna get him a pass??

Octavian
1/3/2008, 04:28 PM
Also I'm not so sure your comparing apples to apples. The game has changed too much to really use these two against one another. If Osborne was still running that option attack in today's game he would still be searching for his first NC.

well...other than the fact that we just gave up 48 points to a triple-option team last night..

you might be missing the forest for the trees.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 04:29 PM
Why would the he change his approach after this one as compared to not changing his approach after the last one?

He said he would? I think this is the first time he's publicly and squarely acknowledged that the team's post-season peformance is not acceptable.

As for Schottenheimer, some smart NFL people think he's still a fine coach and would win some play-off games if given another chance...

But anyway ... whatever the reason for Bob's poor showing in bowl games, the point of the original post is to say that those reasons can eliminated or overcome, like Osborne did. Do you think Nebbish fans didn't complain about Dr Tom when they were losing all those bowl games? They probly said a lot of the same things SF.com posters are saying.

Octavian
1/3/2008, 04:31 PM
And Stoops won that title almost a decade ago. How long is that gonna get him a pass??

Trust me, I've had the same thoughts. But what's the alternative?

Demand at least 2 NCs every 5 years...or else? Everyone knows that's not realistic -- even at Oklahoma.

Last night was absolutely awful. No doubt. But we just won the Big XII with a freshman quarterback. We'll be back reloaded again for another run next year.

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 04:33 PM
Demand at least 2 NCs every 5 years...or else? Everyone knows that's not realistic -- even at Oklahoma.

LSU or Ohio St. is gonna do that very thing my friend. Think about it. What makes them any different than us?

Octavian
1/3/2008, 04:37 PM
LSU or Ohio St. is gonna do that very thing my friend. Think about it. What makes them any different than us?

I understand.

But Ohio State didn't win a NC from the late '60s to 2002. They got pistol whipped 12 months ago on the big stage also.

Until 2003, LSU hadn't won a NC since God was a small child.

I know we're all mad --I am too-- but Stoops isn't the first elite coach to struggle in bowl games. Its disappointing....but we should stick with him. The alternative would be much, much worse.

GrapevineSooner
1/3/2008, 04:42 PM
Technically, Ohio State is playing for their 2nd national championship in 6 seasons. Even then, whoever wins Monday night will become the first team in the BCS era to win multiple titles.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 04:44 PM
Some of y'all need to consider what we do without Bob.
Pretty dicey to think we'll just grab some young whippersnapper who will pick up right where Bob left off and lead into the promised land every year.

Look at Urban Meyer - had the Heisman winning QB on his team, but still lost 4 games including a bowl game in which he was favored by more than OU was !

Please. It's one thing to get mad and to criticize, but stop before you go over the edge .

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 04:47 PM
I just think its time for Stoops to go ol school Nick Satan style!!! Say NO MORE and roll up his sleeves and start demanding the hours and hours in the film room from the coaches. Say goodbye to your wife and kids because until we get this label off of us we will ALL live at the stadium and meeting rooms. Roll your sleeves up cause it time to WORK!!

I think this is the attitude that has gotten away from the staff. That staff needs their own discipline Belichick and Satan style imo.

tommie15
1/3/2008, 05:09 PM
There are already some good threads on perspective about the loss, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway.

You guys just got done winning your what, 5th conference championship in 5 years? Everyone but maybe USC and OSU would trade places with where your program has been this decade.

Sure, the bowl loss sucks. Getting blown out sucks. It will be a long offseason.

Osborne made many changes after those bowls - recruited more speed, McBride went to the 4-3 from the 5-2. However, no assistant coaches were fired. The lynch mob was after McBride more than they had ever been after Osborne - 10 years later he was regarded as the best DC in the country.

Bob Stoops is too smart not to learn from his mistakes. He will change what needs to be changed. From an objective standpoint, I think your defense lacks the coaching and athleticism it had in the early part of the decade. They seem to have lost their swagger much like we have.

Bitch for a few days, cry, moan, etc. Then, look up north to Lincoln or back to the 90s to see just how bad things can be and how good you've got it. You hillbillies are an awfully spoiled lot. ;)

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 05:14 PM
Bob Stoops is too smart not to learn from his mistakes.

He needs to prove it then.

Mr. Nuke
1/3/2008, 06:48 PM
Nebraska didn't can Dr. Tom after more than 20 years of mediocre bowl results. They stuck behind him because they knew he was an excellent coach and it eventually paid off many times over.
Just to be clear, there were plenty of people calling for his head throughout those 20 years before the run in the 90's. Osborne nearly left for another job on at least one occasion too. His last five years at Nebraska seemed to have erased the memory of the previous twenty years for many around here. I'm not sure any coach at a major program today would be given the time that Nebraska gave Osborne.