PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel that OU's staff is at a Crossroads?!?!

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 02:00 PM
I get the feeling that this program and staff is once again at a crossroads. Not saying that Bob needs to go but I get the feeling if something doesn't happen it will be the same thing year after year.

Just being happy to win the conf. is not cutting anymore if your gonna just lay down in bowl games.

soonerscottd
1/3/2008, 02:02 PM
Is there any chance Mike Stoops could come back? When he left it seems to me that OU became a different team.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 02:06 PM
Things work pretty well until bowl time. I'd think if everything was as bad as some say, we'd suck from September through December, too.

So my answer is "NO."

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 02:16 PM
Things work pretty well until bowl time. I'd think if everything was as bad as some say, we'd suck from September through December, too.

So my answer is "NO."

So your happy with being embrassed in post season play? You don't mind if that continues? The USC loss, yeah ok i get it. But the BSU and WVU losses are just losses that have to make raise an eyebrow and say i see a trend developing.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2008, 02:22 PM

So my answer is "NO."

The bottom line for me is that the conference championship is more important than a bowl win except for the BCS championship bowl. (The bowl loss is just more painfully recent). So I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath. But with an elite program like OU, they have a shot at that big BCS final game every few years, so they need to do something different for bowl prep w/o messing up the regular season success. I don't know what it is, but there are some programs that consistently play well in bowls and some that underachieve in bowls. So i don't think it is just "luck".

hink4769
1/3/2008, 02:25 PM
I'd rather win conference titles than bowl games. Yes you have to win a bowl game to win a NC, but you have a better chance of winning a NC with a coach that consistenly wins conference championships than a coach who consistently wins bowl games.

The Maestro
1/3/2008, 02:25 PM
They might be at Crossroads but I dang sure bet they won't be going back to Arizona Mills.

StuMondo
1/3/2008, 02:27 PM
I get the feeling that this program and staff is once again at a crossroads. Not saying that Bob needs to go but I get the feeling if something doesn't happen it will be the same thing year after year.

Just being happy to win the conf. is not cutting anymore if your gonna just lay down in bowl games.

I tend to disagree with this.

I know you're frustrated down there in Norman. You should be. you just lost to an inferior opponent in a BCS bowl. And they pretty much embarrassed you.

BUT...

- you still got 11 wins.
- a conference championship
- you still own Texas

there's no question in my mind that these last two bowl games are flukes. they are not the norm for how Bob Stoops' teams typically play or will play in bowl games.

Relax, you're program is in tremendous shape. You're in position A to win a national championship in the next 3 years. Umm, Demarco and bradford... wow!

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 02:27 PM
They might be at Crossroads but I dang sure bet they won't be going back to Arizona Mills.
HEY-OH!!!

OKLA21FAN
1/3/2008, 02:29 PM
Eric Clapton is that you?

76soonergrad
1/3/2008, 02:32 PM
Maybe we are spoiled.

On the other hand, shouldn't we be able to play competitively in post season? What is a reasonable expectation?

We should.

Step it up to the next level. Assess goals. Be disciplined.

And leave those "Finish" bracelets at home.

cheezyq
1/3/2008, 02:34 PM

So my answer is "NO."

In 2003, with Mike still on board, we had all the pieces in place for a championship run. We had the QB, we had the OL, we had the WRs and especially, we had the defense. We blew out EVERY team on the way to the Big 12 championship game, at which time Mike Stoops was hired by Arizona as the head coach. As such we proceeded to lose 2 straight games, one by blowout to Kansas State.

Given our typical talent advantage during the regular season, the best way to measure our successes is against the best teams come bowl time.

When Mike Stoops was our DC, we allowed the following point totals in bowl games - 2 (on a mistake by the punt team), 3, and 14 (both TDs in garbage time in 4th quarter). Since that time, after Stoops left to coach Arizona, we've allowed the following points in our bowl games - 55, 21, 43, and 48.

In 2001 and 2002, we struggled at times, even with Mike as DC. But no one expects us to win every game every year. However, there is a CLEAR delineation in our effectiveness on defense when we match up with similarly talented teams during the two eras.

Please don't tell me it's not the coaching. I'm not an advocate for bringing Stoops back, and I'm certainly not an advocate for firing Venables, either. But something has to be done on defense schematically, as we are out-classed/out-coached in every way when facing any kind of decent offense. Yes, players make the plays. But when a player is constantly out of position, athleticism can carry him only so far.

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 02:34 PM
I tend to disagree with this.

I know you're frustrated down there in Norman. You should be. you just lost to an inferior opponent in a BCS bowl. And they pretty much embarrassed you.

BUT...

- you still got 11 wins.
- a conference championship
- you still own Texas

there's no question in my mind that these last two bowl games are flukes. they are not the norm for how Bob Stoops' teams typically play or will play in bowl games.

Relax, you're program is in tremendous shape. You're in position A to win a national championship in the next 3 years. Umm, Demarco and bradford... wow!

What about the USC game? I know they were better but were they THAT much better?

And it just seems like settling to me when we say "We won conf. though and got to 11 wins." I don't know i just wish they would stop this jekyll and hyde routine that they do so much throughout the years.

hink4769
1/3/2008, 02:43 PM
The way we're going here's how I see the next 10 years playing out under Bob with no pressure to change his staff or other stuff due to people's unhappiness:
1 National Title
7-8 South Division Titles
5-6 Confernece Championships
I can live with this and could care less how many other meaningless bowls we win.

atlheff
1/3/2008, 02:45 PM
So your happy with being embrassed in post season play? You don't mind if that continues? The USC loss, yeah ok i get it. But the BSU and WVU losses are just losses that have to make raise an eyebrow and say i see a trend developing.

I think that really is what everyone is upset about and I for one think it's perfectly reasonable to demand that the team show up and play their hearts out. This team did not do that last night. They did not do that last year. They did not do that against USC in '04. I am not saying that the outcome would have been any different. We very well could have lost all three of those games regardless. BUT it is extremely frustrating to sit through an entire month of anticipation to watch our boys flat out wilt like that and play without an ounce of passion or heart. If they lost last night by 1 point but they played hard the entire game, I would still be disappointed but not nearly so much as I was after watching WVU rack up 241 yds and 28 points in just 7 plays after the botched onside kick. Play with pride and last night does not happen.

OklahomaRed
1/3/2008, 02:52 PM
Repeated BCS game losses will eventually lead to OU not being taken seriously on a MNC level. I've noticed we also stuggle for wins on the road, as do most programs. The boat is fine, but we might want to look at performing some modifications to continue to be considered for the next level, which is #8. It all deppends on perspective. If we are happy with top #15 finishes year in and year out, then we are fine.

Also, we have to be cautious calling for heads or we could end up like Nebraska, Miami, or Alabama; however, these programs will be back not because of the coach, but because the alumni and fans refuse to allow their program to stay down.

OU is not officially down, but I don't like recent trends of losing on the road and losing big Bowl games. Winning the big games is how you keep the top recruits, and attract the national spotlight. Losing these type games on the other hand............. :(

StuMondo
1/3/2008, 03:23 PM
i guess the point I'm trying to make would be is this:

do you think that the last two bowl games were a fluke or do you think the last two bowl games were not?

96-21.

he brought you back and rose y'all from the ashes. he's a stud.

I'd let him coach here in Lincoln tomorrow.

sortiz1965
1/3/2008, 03:32 PM
The recruiting is critical. If top notch recruits begin to perceive that OU simply can't get over the hump, guess what: they will go play someplace else. In order for OU to compete for recruits with the programs they deem themselves equal to (ie, USC, Georgia, LSU, Florida) and at the same time prevent programs on the rise (Kansas, Mizzou, Texas Tech) from siphoning increasing numbers of recruits they must perform better in bowl games!

Last night, OU played with neither heart nor interest. It was pathetic to see the difference in emotion between both squads. College football is a game where playing with heart and passion can take a team a long ways. West Virginia committed plenty of penalties and made a few mistakes. But their passion and desire never let up. That speaks volumes to a young recruit struggling to choose the school they want to attend. Is it the only factor? Of course not...but it plays a part.

And then you have teams like USC, who play with passion and desire, have stockpiles of immense talent, and skilled coaches who know how to use it. In last night's game, OU showed none of those qualities: players were uninterested and played well below their talent level, and the coaches looked completely lost.

stoopified
1/3/2008, 03:34 PM
I have banned Tostitos Chips from my house.Beyond that I have NO answers.I'm upset but still back Bob and the guys.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2008, 03:34 PM
Like the movie with Ralph Macchio or like the one with Britney Spears?

Neither I hope.

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 03:35 PM
i guess the point I'm trying to make would be is this:

do you think that the last two bowl games were a fluke or do you think the last two bowl games were not?

96-21.

he brought you back and rose y'all from the ashes. he's a stud.

I'd let him coach here in Lincoln tomorrow.

You just got Bo Pelini. Who I think IMO, is Bob Stoops 8 years ago when the fire was still in the belly. I think he will do wonders for Nebbish. Give it a chance i'm telling ya.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2008, 03:36 PM
I have banned Tostitos Chips from my house.Beyond that I have NO answers.I'm upset but still back Bob and the guys.

Finally! Somebody actually *doing* something instead of all this blah, blah blah. I hereby join the Tostitos chips ban movement :D

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 03:43 PM
And please everyone. Don't fall into the trap of thinking this was a "meaningless" bowl game because ya know that sounds like one of the top 10 things LOSERS says. If your a competitor you wanna win EVERYTIME you step on the field, court, pitch, diamond, etc etc. If your an athlete NO game is "meaningless!!"

sooneron
1/3/2008, 03:51 PM
Tostitos suck anyway. I am glad that Bob is taking the heat (as he should), but I'm tired of hearing it. WV is very good team with some very good athletes. They showed up wanting it more. Why didn't our team do that? Who knows. My guess is that it comes from the top. Bob needs to change his attitude no matter how worthless he thinks the bowl may be. In the end, we WILL lose a stud player over this, guaranteed. We had a lot of key elements out of this game, but that makes no excuse for shoddy OLine play and stupid mistakes. BV needs to think long and hard about what he wants to do with this team and how he wants to adjust his planning/schemes, b/c beating one decent offense and one good offense (twice), isn't enough.

sooneron
1/3/2008, 03:53 PM
And please everyone. Don't fall into the trap of thinking this was a "meaningless" bowl game because ya know that sounds like one of the top 10 things LOSERS says. If your a competitor you wanna win EVERYTIME you step on the field, court, pitch, diamond, etc etc. If your an athlete NO game is "meaningless!!"
I agree, this game had HUGE meaning. If we had thumped WV and (IF) Va teck loses to KU, we could have finished 2nd this year, maybe even crashed with a title due to a crappy NC game. We had plenty to play for last night.

MextheBulldog
1/3/2008, 04:00 PM
And then you have teams like USC, who play with passion and desire, have stockpiles of immense talent, and skilled coaches who know how to use it.

Puhleeze. Real easy to say this after the Illini whipping. You do remember Stanford, eh?

soonersn20xx
1/3/2008, 04:08 PM
There is losing, then there is playing like crap and losing...........seems we are doing the second the last few years. I appreciate everything Stoops has done but that doesn't mean he gets a free pass on well deserved criticism. The fans deserve answers and Stoops needs to make the necessary changes to avoid such mental disasters in January.

wishbonesooner
1/3/2008, 04:28 PM
I think we've all become so enamored of Bob Stoops that we think anycriticism is wrong. I think we have a great coaching staff. As recruiters. I'm starting to wonder if they are any good at being teachers of the game. High school kids don't become great football players accidentally. We used to be known as the most fundamentally sound team in all of college football. The announcers on TV talked about it every game. That has gotten lost somewhere it seems like.

adoniijahsooner
1/3/2008, 04:38 PM
The bottom line for me is that the conference championship is more important than a bowl win except for the BCS championship bowl. (The bowl loss is just more painfully recent). So I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath. But with an elite program like OU, they have a shot at that big BCS final game every few years, so they need to do something different for bowl prep w/o messing up the regular season success. I don't know what it is, but there are some programs that consistently play well in bowls and some that underachieve in bowls. So i don't think it is just "luck".

i heard West Virginia before the game say that they were real physical in practice, and bsu said the same last year. For some reason I get the feeling that we are just running through plays and not strapping on the pads and hitting at full speed before the bowl games. To be honest the lost of reggie smith and holmes hurt us alot last night.

cccasooner2
1/3/2008, 04:57 PM
Maybe we are spoiled.

On the other hand, shouldn't we be able to play competitively in post season? What is a reasonable expectation?

We should.

Step it up to the next level. Assess goals. Be disciplined.

And leave those "Finish" bracelets at home.

A new mission statement maybe? :)

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 05:01 PM
How bout new and more intense dedication by the coaches which in turn would rub off on the players. Just a thought.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
1/3/2008, 05:17 PM
Bob has about 3.62 million reasons to get his team better prepared for any game not just a bowl game.....

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

Whet
1/3/2008, 05:49 PM
Lack of focus was a problem a few times this year. Some examples of this include: Colorado, Iowa State, and of course, WVU. The question is, how to to properly address this issue.

I would agree that attitude comes from the top - the coaches. Perphaps the coordinators need to become more assertive in their teaching/coaching of the players. Or, maybe not all of the coordinators and assistant coaches have this type of personality. I personally believe BV possess this trait, but I don't know about the other coordinators and assistance coaches. Why wasn't Patton all over the O-line, when they came off the field last night?

I believe Bob needs to re-evaluate the entire staff, with the possibility of brining in some different blood into the system. Does Kevin Wilson - from Northwestern - have that gumption to make changes on the fly, require the best from his players, or know how to instill that instinct into the assistant coaches or players? I never saw that trait from any of Northwestern's teams, since living up here...

But, then I may be just full of poop to!

Snrfn4ever08
1/3/2008, 06:31 PM
The recruiting is critical. If top notch recruits begin to perceive that OU simply can't get over the hump, guess what: they will go play someplace else. In order for OU to compete for recruits with the programs they deem themselves equal to (ie, USC, Georgia, LSU, Florida) and at the same time prevent programs on the rise (Kansas, Mizzou, Texas Tech) from siphoning increasing numbers of recruits they must perform better in bowl games!

Last night, OU played with neither heart nor interest. It was pathetic to see the difference in emotion between both squads. College football is a game where playing with heart and passion can take a team a long ways. West Virginia committed plenty of penalties and made a few mistakes. But their passion and desire never let up. That speaks volumes to a young recruit struggling to choose the school they want to attend. Is it the only factor? Of course not...but it plays a part.

And then you have teams like USC, who play with passion and desire, have stockpiles of immense talent, and skilled coaches who know how to use it. In last night's game, OU showed none of those qualities: players were uninterested and played well below their talent level, and the coaches looked completely lost.

I have to agree with this 100%. Think about kids like Adrian Peterson, who chose OU over UT because he felt OU gave him a better chance to win a championship. Now think, had we come out and played with no heart in the 2001 Orange Bowl against FSU and got splattered like we did last night and then go to the 2003 Rose Bowl and get dominated by Wazzou, do you think that Peterson would have decided to go to Oklahoma? He committed right after the K-State loss and right before the LSU loss, but at that time, the K-State loss was seen as a fluke and not as the beginning of a continuous pattern. We looked like we could come back the next year and win a national championship and I'm sure that helped make up Peterson's mind for him. This was anything but a meaningless game last night and if this pattern continues, it's going to really start to catch up with us.

I'm not pinning all of this on Stoops, but as the head coach, it's his responsibility to have coaches in place who are able to consistently put players in a position to succeed and take advantage of their talent. We have one of the top 3 most talented teams in America along with USC and LSU, yet we underachieve on an annual basis. Stoops needs to find a way to make sure our players have a chance to succeed and he obviously needs to change his philosophy a little. We won the 2000 championship by playing the "underdog" card. That worked great, but now that we've been back to the top of the world, the team's focus has to shift. Whatever it is the coaches have shifted to isn't getting through to the players.

Also, the coaches seem to have lost a grip on their players. One player doesn't want to try to make the grades to play football, another one is trying to shoplift a coat. It's one thing when it's some walk on that never sees the field, but it worries me when these are our starting players, whom playing should matter the absolute most to. It seems as if they've taken on the attitude that they're above the world.

MiccoMacey
1/3/2008, 06:45 PM
You guys slay me. You really do.

These assistant coaches you want to be on the hot seat...performed more than admirably throughout the year. For example:

Category...................National Rank.................Total
Total Offense:................17........................ .....451
Scoring Offense:...............3.......................... .....43
Total Defense:................18........................ .....324
Scoring Defense:...............9.......................... .....18

Wins: 11
Losses: 3

Sure, we lost another big bowl game. It sucks. And yes, our preparation for bowl games seems like it needs to be tweaked/overhauled some. We can always get better.

But quit bitching about needing new coaches. You sound completely stupid.

p.s. sign the neg spek.

WisconsinSooner
1/3/2008, 06:50 PM
Stewart Mandel at CNNSI.com

"If there's one common characteristic to the USC, Boise State and West Virginia losses, however, it's that Oklahoma's defense looked absolutely baffled by its opponent's offense. The unique nature of bowl games, as opposed to conference games, is that you have to game plan against an opponent for which you have no frame of reference. Through the years, the Sooners have done better than most when it comes to slowing down teams like Texas and Texas Tech, who they see every year, but it would seem they have not prepared very well for the more unfamiliar opponents."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/01/03/cfb.bag/index.html

Snrfn4ever08
1/3/2008, 07:07 PM

These assistant coaches you want to be on the hot seat...performed more than admirably throughout the year. For example:

Category...................National Rank.................Total
Total Offense:................17........................ .....451
Scoring Offense:...............3.......................... .....43
Total Defense:................18........................ .....324
Scoring Defense:...............9.......................... .....18

Wins: 11
Losses: 3

Sure, we lost another big bowl game. It sucks. And yes, our preparation for bowl games seems like it needs to be tweaked/overhauled some. We can always get better.

p.s. sign the neg spek.

Statistics mean nothing if you don't reach your goals, and OU's goal is not to play great throughout the season only to be embarassed and exposed in major bowl games. People who are against a playoff argue that a playoff would make the regular season meaningless. The only problem is, once the postseason starts, the regular season is meaningless anyway. It sets you up for the postseason, but after that it means nothing. Here's a recruiting pitch that works: "Come play at Oklahoma, where you can finish with a 10 win regular season every year, win a Big XII title against an inferior North division and get embarassed by national powerhouses from seemingly weaker conferences." I personally would much rather see a team such as OU in 2005 that looks at first as if it will struggle to become bowl eligible improve throughout the season to earn a berth in the Holiday Bowl, where they beat a 5th ranked Oregon team, than finish with 10 or more wins in the regular season every year only to see them get embarassed when it matters the most by a team that is supposedly inferior

okcusooner
1/3/2008, 08:38 PM
There is losing, then there is playing like crap and losing...........seems we are doing the second the last few years. I appreciate everything Stoops has done but that doesn't mean he gets a free pass on well deserved criticism. The fans deserve answers and Stoops needs to make the necessary changes to avoid such mental disasters in January.

Your post is precisely on point. Strange, (no, sad) how negative ratings are routinely given to the voices of reason.

OU-HSV
1/3/2008, 08:49 PM

I agree 100%

Whet
1/3/2008, 08:52 PM

p.s. sign the neg spek.

I was thinking more along the lines of a motivator or sports psycologist, or some other new blood. if necessary, that could work with the motivation/focus issues. As far as the stats, most of those were racked up at the start of the season, playing the softies. There is surely an issue with motivatingand maintaining focus preparing and playing, as well as, keeping the players motivated during some games - including the bowl games - that needs to be addressed!

p.s. - I agree with your issue on the neg spek

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 09:42 PM
We need someone to come in and create better plays ... trick plays. Learn how to create and perform 2-point conversion (we didn't make any this year). We need quarterback coaching to include the run more.

Its 2007. We need to bring our program up-to-date with some of the things done in other states/programs.

Curly Bill
1/3/2008, 10:25 PM

Well said! Losing is for well...losers, I don't care in what game it is.

MiccoMacey
1/3/2008, 11:35 PM
I personally would much rather see a team such as OU in 2005 that looks at first as if it will struggle to become bowl eligible improve throughout the season to earn a berth in the Holiday Bowl, where they beat a 5th ranked Oregon team, than finish with 10 or more wins in the regular season every year only to see them get embarassed when it matters the most by a team that is supposedly inferior

So your goals are 8-4. Great. Shoot for the moon, Alice. ;)

No one should be saying "Winning a bowl game shouldn't be a goal". But no one should be saying "Fire the coaches that got you to that bowl" either.

That's all I'm saying. Revamp the way we look at bowls...practices, schedules, letting freshmen get 90% of the snaps, too much downtime...whatever. And Stoops is solely responsible for that. He needs to re-look at what's obviously not working. I think we can both agree on that.

But to think we need to fire any coaches over this boggles my mind.

At the end of the day, it's just a bowl game. It does not define our season nearly as much as the rest of the season does. It sucks losing a bowl game. It sucks worse getting mud-stomped in a bowl game. But it is one game. Re-think how to prepare for a bowl (with the layoffs and everything) but keep your coaches.

Oh, and stats aren't everything, but those stats are the reflection of 11 wins. They are a part (albeit a small part) of showing the success of this past season. You can't be 117th in scoring defense and be in a BCS bowl game. That's why I showed those particular stats.

Redgiant2
1/4/2008, 12:42 AM
If this staff isn't at a crossroads with some very important people it should be. The same mistakes that cost them the KSU game, the LSU game, the USC game, the CU game, the TT game just cost them the WV game. If you can't teach someone fundamentals in 3 years you need to be hit in the forehead with a hammer and sent packing for the amount of cash being forked over for these guys. Fundamentals and discipline are killing them. If they could somehow be taught these two things there is no telling how good they could be. Unfortunately with this staff there will be very little of either.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2008, 02:05 AM
2 (on a mistake by the punt team)

That one was intentional...not a mistake. Stoops and company elected to give up the safety and get a free kick rather than punt from the endzone and risk a big play from FSU or give them great starting filed position.

Snrfn4ever08
1/4/2008, 04:00 AM
So your goals are 8-4. Great. Shoot for the moon, Alice. ;)

No one should be saying "Winning a bowl game shouldn't be a goal". But no one should be saying "Fire the coaches that got you to that bowl" either.

That's all I'm saying. Revamp the way we look at bowls...practices, schedules, letting freshmen get 90% of the snaps, too much downtime...whatever. And Stoops is solely responsible for that. He needs to re-look at what's obviously not working. I think we can both agree on that.

But to think we need to fire any coaches over this boggles my mind.

At the end of the day, it's just a bowl game. It does not define our season nearly as much as the rest of the season does. It sucks losing a bowl game. It sucks worse getting mud-stomped in a bowl game. But it is one game. Re-think how to prepare for a bowl (with the layoffs and everything) but keep your coaches.

Oh, and stats aren't everything, but those stats are the reflection of 11 wins. They are a part (albeit a small part) of showing the success of this past season. You can't be 117th in scoring defense and be in a BCS bowl game. That's why I showed those particular stats.
I'm not saying my goals are 8-4. You missed the point. My goal is to see a team that improves throughout the year, peaking at the end, that plays it's heart out in every game, including the bowl. I'm sorry it boggles your mind to think that Stoops needs to do a little housecleaning. There comes a point in time where the coaches have obviously been together too long and the staff becomes a little stale. It's time to bring in some new blood and some new ideas because the combination we have now isn't working.

I couldn't disagree more with you saying that the bowl game doesn't define our season as much as the rest of the season does. Bowls define the seasons more. In the end, the goal is to put yourself on the bowl stage. Ask the people who are against playoffs because they feel it would take away from the bowl tradition. Bowls win over recruits. Bowl wins build programs. Bowls are where you get to prove that you can play with anybody, not just the teams in your conference. It's easy to look at us this year and say the reason we're winning conference championships is because the coaches have drilled home how to play the same teams, such as texas, that they play every year, yet when they meet someone they don't normally play, they choke.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, so I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this point

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2008, 04:12 AM
I have to agree!

MiccoMacey
1/4/2008, 07:42 AM
OK, then be specific.

For those that want a change, be specific.

Who should be gone? Whom do we replace them with? Exactly what change are you expecting the new hire to bring to the table?

Be specific, or otherwise you all sound like a bunch of ninnies.

BTW, I can agree that we're agreeing to disagree. No big deal. Just a difference of opinion on what matters more. Both things matter, but the stock we put into each is just different. I can handle that.

Collier11
1/4/2008, 08:15 AM
Just got back from AZ and waiting to go to bed til after I return the rental so I thought I would offer my first hand thoughts.

We play with absolutely ZERO emotion unless we feel threatened by a team, I dont know if we thought we were better than WV or they just didnt **** us off enough but there was nothing there.

Say what you will but Bob Stoops has lost some of his fire, the guy is still a GREAT coach and I wouldnt trade him for anyone but he doesnt coach with a chip on his shoulder anymore

Our play calling is boring and predicitable, we dont do anything other than run the same 10 plays all game ever game

Our discipline is pathetic

Our team plays tight and scared in alot of Big Games

That first half was one of the most pathetically called halves of football I have ever seen at OU, and our execution was just as bad

Being an OU fan, I am more than disappointed right now. It is actually pretty discouraging right now to keep getting to so many BCS games and playing horrible. We have the talent, we have the coaching, and every year that Stoops has been here pretty much we can beat any team in the country when we play with that Chip on our Shoulder, we have got to find a way to get that every game and do it with discipline!

Curly Bill
1/4/2008, 08:54 AM
For those that want a change, be specific.

Who should be gone? Whom do we replace them with? Exactly what change are you expecting the new hire to bring to the table?

Venables = gone
Bobby Jack Wright = gone

I'll work on the replacements later. ;)

As for changes I'd like them to teach some fundamentals, like tackling for instance, be able to get them prepared to play in a bowl game, stuff like that...

Snrfn4ever08
1/4/2008, 12:51 PM
Venables = gone
Bobby Jack Wright = gone

As for changes I'd like them to teach some fundamentals, like tackling for instance, be able to get them prepared to play in a bowl game, stuff like that...

I think I have to agree with these two, especially Venables. We need to find the next Mike Stoops to get our defense back to the way it was prior to K-State in '03. Before Stoops left, they had that certain bad boys on the block swagger about them that they just haven't had since. They went out there with the mentality that they wanted to hurt the guy they were tackling. Ever since Mike left, they try to arm tackle the guy or try to take him down by his shoe strings. I don't know who we could replace Venables with, but we need to try someone else.

I also would have to see KW needs to go, unless the rumor that Bob isn't letting him run his own offense is true. If that rumor's true, Bob needs to swallow his pride and let KW do what KW wants to do with the offense. If it's not true, KW needs to take a class, one that involves a textbook by the name "Playcalling for Dummies." Who knows, maybe if we promoted Heupel, we wouldn't be running the ball on 3rd and a mile while down 20 points

william_brasky
1/4/2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

According to that chart, Mike Gundy is ranked #60.

He makes $950,000 / year.

His age is 40.

StuMondo
1/4/2008, 02:11 PM
You just got Bo Pelini. Who I think IMO, is Bob Stoops 8 years ago when the fire was still in the belly. I think he will do wonders for Nebbish. Give it a chance i'm telling ya.

that kind of came off wrong. I don't have a problem with Bo except that he is unproven as a head coach. I'm just saying I'd make that trade with you guys in half a second.

Bob's a great coach. Sooner nation is getting greedy. Step back and realize what you have.

OklahomaRed
1/4/2008, 03:00 PM
Venables = gone
Bobby Jack Wright = gone

Ditto. Also, for a change, a little more discipline off the field. We've gotten our nose rubbed in it a couple of times the last two years.

hink4769
1/4/2008, 03:14 PM
I also would have to see KW needs to go, unless the rumor that Bob isn't letting him run his own offense is true. If that rumor's true, Bob needs to swallow his pride and let KW do what KW wants to do with the offense. If it's not true, KW needs to take a class, one that involves a textbook by the name "Playcalling for Dummies." Who knows, maybe if we promoted Heupel, we wouldn't be running the ball on 3rd and a mile while down 20 points
I think the offense is doing fine. The last two years we've won the conference championship with a converted WR at QB and a freshman at QB. You don't give KW credit for that? With Sam here at QB for at least 2 more years it's only going to get better. Yes, it sputtered against ISU and CU and in other spots, but even the 05 USC team struggled to score points at times. Changing offensive coordinators is not the solution right now.

Snrfn4ever08
1/4/2008, 03:19 PM
I think the offense is doing fine. The last two years we've won the conference championship with a converted WR at QB and a freshman at QB. You don't give KW credit for that? With Sam here at QB for at least 2 more years it's only going to get better. Yes, it sputtered against ISU and CU and in other spots, but even the 05 USC team struggled to score points at times. Changing offensive coordinators is not the solution right now.

Sure, KW gets credit for that. You know what else he gets credit for? Running the ball on 3rd and 16 when we're down by 20 points. That's a stupid playcall

wishbonesooner
1/4/2008, 04:25 PM
But, if we had just completely abandoned the run, they'd have pinned their ears back on every play and Sam would have been killed the way our O line played.

hink4769
1/4/2008, 04:34 PM
Sure, KW gets credit for that. You know what else he gets credit for? Running the ball on 3rd and 16 when we're down by 20 points. That's a stupid playcall
I wasn't sure what they were doing either in that situation and I was just as confused as you or anybody else was. But this team had an elite level offense this year (one thats better IMO than the offenses fielded by LSU and Ohio St.) and firing the main guy responsible for coaching it seems ludicrous to me.

Tear Down This Wall
1/4/2008, 04:40 PM
Here's the stupidity of the panickers...you want bowl game wins to be the standard of everything?

Okay. How about Boston College. They've won eight in a row. Real barnburners, too. The Music City Bowl. The San Francisco Bowl. The Motor City Bowl. The Continental Tire Bowl. The MPC Computer Bowl. The Meineke Car Care Bowl.

You know what the common theme running through all of those is - they are bowls for teams who didn't win their conference title!

Is that it? We're willing to dump coordinators who have gotten us multiple conference titles and mutliple shots at national titles so we can feel better about ourselves after losing a real, major bowl game against a real, national title contender?

Spare me.

Collier11
1/4/2008, 05:01 PM
Is that it? We're willing to dump coordinators who have gotten us multiple conference titles and mutliple shots at national titles so we can feel better about ourselves after losing a real, major bowl game against a real, national title contender?

Spare me.

Heres the deal, something needs to change and I am not one of the people on here who always freaks out and demands that OU fire everyone and the entirety of my 3000 + posts will prove that. I am not sure who needs to go because we dont know which plays are bad play calls and which are busts but one way or another, something isnt being done right in preperation and big game results.

My Main Points

The 1st quarter was the worst called offensive quarter that I can remember since Stoops has been here

Someone has to be held accountable for our lack of player discipline on the field, the question is who?

When you are down 3 scores with 8 minutes left, you dont run the ball 3 or 4 different times. YOu just dont, it comes off to the fans that you are giving up. Some say that Bradford would have gotten killed, well we pass blocked Great all season, we need to find a way to block a guy or get someone new in there.

I see no desire or motivation to play from the coaches on down. Stoops says that the other teams may have more of a chip on their shoulder because of being underdogs or whatever, well more often than not OU will be the BETTER TEAM ON PAPER, we have to figure out a way to Play like the better team when we are better and Own the Field!!

Sure our offense puts up big stats, but stats dont equate to timely playcalling. Our coaches ability to make creative and productive calls on offense in tight games is sadly lacking!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/4/2008, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't cry if Bobby Jack Wright were to go or at least coach somewhere besides the secondary but otherwise I think the coaching staff should be intact.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2008, 05:21 PM

I still contend that was Bob's call - not the specific play, but the tactic to slow the game down. WVU had just score 3 TDs and racked up 240 yards on 7 plays if I remember the stats. The team was demoralized and the WVU guys were sky-high. I think they slowed the game to stop the bleeding as there was no real hope of a come-back. Sadly, I don't disagree. But the point is, I don't think KW would have been the one to make that call - had to be from Bob. They also started to substitute players around 7 minutes and I'm really glad Gute got a carry (and he almost broke free!).

Snrfn4ever08
1/4/2008, 05:23 PM
Heres the deal, something needs to change and I am not one of the people on here who always freaks out and demands that OU fire everyone and the entirety of my 3000 + posts will prove that. I am not sure who needs to go because we dont know which plays are bad play calls and which are busts but one way or another, something isnt being done right in preperation and big game results.

My Main Points

The 1st quarter was the worst called offensive quarter that I can remember since Stoops has been here

Someone has to be held accountable for our lack of player discipline on the field, the question is who?

When you are down 3 scores with 8 minutes left, you dont run the ball 3 or 4 different times. YOu just dont, it comes off to the fans that you are giving up. Some say that Bradford would have gotten killed, well we pass blocked Great all season, we need to find a way to block a guy or get someone new in there.

I see no desire or motivation to play from the coaches on down. Stoops says that the other teams may have more of a chip on their shoulder because of being underdogs or whatever, well more often than not OU will be the BETTER TEAM ON PAPER, we have to figure out a way to Play like the better team when we are better and Own the Field!!

Sure our offense puts up big stats, but stats dont equate to timely playcalling. Our coaches ability to make creative and productive calls on offense in tight games is sadly lacking!

Brilliantly put