PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops's post game comments

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks Maestro-
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m...010208aaa.html

Bob: Congratulations to Bill Stewart and the whole staff at West Virginia and their team. They played an excellent football game, really beat us in the offense and defense side of the ball and, you know, in every part of the game.

Just definitely outcoached us and outplayed us, more physical, more disciplined in all parts of the game. They are to be credited and we're not. Again, very disappointing to finish the season this way and after such a solid year to come out and play as we did.

Q. Bob, I guess you guys got some momentum back in the second half with two three and outs and the first touchdown and then a two point conversion failed and the onside kick failed. Can you talk about the decision to do that and how they impacted the game?
A. Obviously, you are in a tight situation. If they work you know, the two point conversion gets you from within three. That's what you need to do. We had the momentum, and if you get the onside kick, you got a chance to really make to give them a blow. And, obviously, we don't kick it far enough and there you have it. In the end, you don't do those kind of things when you don't have momentum. I felt we had the momentum, the opportunity was there. We just didn't execute it. And, you know, who knows? There were still a lot of plays after that that we didn't they played a heck of a lot better and executed a heck of a lot better than we did in a lot of other areas.

Q. Coach, I know you are disappointed with the loss, about 13 penalties for 113 yards. What happened?

A. Embarrassing, absolutely embarrassing. No discipline whatsoever. That has to be a reflection on me. I am obviously not doing a good enough job of getting our players to understand how to play smart, and I think we had 12 or 13 in the Big 12 championship game. It is embarrassing and just guys just making a lot of poor choices in what they're doing. Anyway, just poor.

Q. Bob, it looked like on defense you probably gave up the big play. I think they hit you in the five snap span. They hit you with four runs. What was opening up to hit you with big plays?

A. Yeah, I could go through really about all of them. You know, that was the case, too, because early in the first half, I thought we had a lot of good series defensively. We give up the full back belly. We have a zone blitz on and the blitz off the corner goes too deep, runs past it and the linebacker doesn't scrape outside. So they get the long run off the blitz.

The other one, we don't cover the route down the middle. We get sucked up with the play action fake. And then in the second half trying to think oh, the pass over to Walker on the first play, just in a man coverage. That's the first route we looked for. He gets caught, doesn't stay inside and gets guy ends up getting behind and dives for the ball and gets up and plays.

The second play from the series, you know, they run the toss sweep and we overrun it. There was nobody to tax it downhill. We end up scraping everybody. I don't know, about four or five guys were outside the ball, doesn't get in a position to touch them and it is out the gate. Anyway, they played well and they made them miss them, made the plays when they were there and our guys didn't do a good enough job to be in position. And even things we did cover, they didn't do a good enough job playing.

Q. Coach, great season this year. Obviously a let down tonight. Now you look towards next year. With so many players coming back, how do you get them to get this loss out of their minds and look forward?

A. They don't need to get it out of their minds too soon. We need to be to really look at what we need to do differently. Obviously, I need to do things differently as a head coach and players, we need to have some discipline to us. The last two games we got about 26, 27, 28 penalties. You just can't play like that.

Q. 349 yards rushing, I'm sure one guy is not responsible for all that. The lack of DeMarcus Granger, early on they had some success rushing the ball.

A. I think that's highly overstating his importance, no. That's not the deal. There was a lot of missed tackles, a lot of guys not being in position, discipline containing the ball, just different issues and different occasions. Rarely was it up inside; I'll say that.

Q. Coach, a great accomplishment to get to a BCS Bowl. Your thoughts to reflect on the Sooners are 0 for the last 4 BCS appearances.

A. Yeah, it's it is not very positive. You get to this position. Obviously you are doing a lot of things positive and good. But you need to finish out and play well in these games.

Q. The offensive line has been one of the strong points of your team all season; yet tonight it really seemed like Brad didn't Sam Bradford, I'm sorry, didn't have the time he had all season. Three sacks and definitely in the first half seemed hurried a lot more. Can you talk about how the protection broke down?

A. Absolutely, they really outplayed us big time through the first half of the game, getting to the quarterback and not being able to protect him and even not being able to run the football. Going into halftime, we had two field goals, and they had stopped us on multiple occasions. There was pressure.

Q. How impressed were you with White tonight, their quarterback?

A. He is an excellent player. Very impressed. I was coming in. We knew he was an excellent player, and he did a great job of seeing what was there. We had some it's like in the second half we had him on the third and 5, I believe it was, going in and we just we had somebody that was supposed to be outside and comes inside. He is the kind of guy that if you do, he will see it and avoids the whole rush that we have and picks up a first down. I think they scored on the next play.

Q. Coach, for you and for Sam, just 12 plays, just one yard on offense in the first quarter. Talk about the slow start, some of the reasons for it.

A. Again, their defense just whipped us; plain and simple. We, again, certainly didn't have our guys prepared to handle all of it and stuff maybe that we did, they executed it, were more physical and pressured us when we tried to throw. You can't run it and you are getting pressure throwing it. There is not a lot to go to.

Q. Bob, when did you know Malcolm was going to be largely unavailable?

A. I didn't feel great about it coming in because the reps he was getting at practice were very minimal. Every time we thought he was making some progress, he just had a hard time of opening it up all the way. We had hoped once he got out there and the adrenalin gets going that he would start to feel better and just wasn't the case.

Q. The followup to that is, without him, we saw the same thing happen last year, no Malcolm Kelly early. The offense doesn't get going until later on.

A. Malcolm is a great player and huge presence on our offense. So it sure doesn't help.

Q. Bob, you had mentioned that you didn't get the onside kick executed, didn't kick it far enough. Were there some things in film study that you saw?

A. We felt the way they lined up and they didn't have a guy in the center and they were 15 yards deep with their other two guys, that we had a good chance at it. Again, I felt with the way the momentum was, those aren't things you do when you don't have momentum. I felt like it is a chance to give them a blow and their defense was tired and to try and capitalize on it and didn't work. So ...

Q. Did West Virginia show any new wrinkles you didn't see on tape?

A. Not really. There's some slight ones, but for the most part, you know, the things that we saw were what we prepared for. Had a couple little wrinkles with running the ball but overall, you know, it was pretty similar to what we were prepared for

The Maestro
1/3/2008, 01:33 PM
Go to soonersports.com

"Outcoached. Outplayed. We did not play smart. Can I get my check, please?"

Okay, I made the last part up...

Dio
1/3/2008, 01:35 PM
Certainly, we got outplayed in a great way

r5TPsooner
1/3/2008, 01:39 PM
Were the terms "*** raped, prison raped, bitch slapped, or bent over in a compromising position mentioned"?

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 01:55 PM
EDIT: See first post.

auto
1/3/2008, 02:01 PM
That last question and answer scare the hell out of me.

soonershane22
1/3/2008, 02:17 PM
"Just definitely outcoached us and outplayed us, more physical, more disciplined in all parts of the game."

This is the statement that I am completely tired of hearing.

The Preach Man
1/3/2008, 03:09 PM
"Just definitely outcoached us and outplayed us, more physical, more disciplined in all parts of the game."

No kidding. We heard it like 3 times this year.

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 03:21 PM
Stoops made some punk comments in that interview. We're not stupid. His coaching staff is the sole reason for the lost. He needs to fess up and admit it. The team did every thing they were told. His choices were wrong.

soonerinabilene
1/3/2008, 03:23 PM
Q. Coach, great season this year. Obviously a let down tonight. Now you look towards next year. With so many players coming back, how do you get them to get this loss out of their minds and look forward?

A. They don't need to get it out of their minds too soon. We need to be to really look at what we need to do differently. Obviously, I need to do things differently as a head coach and players, we need to have some discipline to us. The last two games we got about 26, 27, 28 penalties. You just can't play like that.

At least he realizes changes need to be made, and that forgetting about this is not the best thing to do. I, for one, look for offseason and spring ball to be extremely intense.

soonerinabilene
1/3/2008, 03:27 PM
Stoops made some punk comments in that interview. We're not stupid. His coaching staff is the sole reason for the lost. He needs to fess up and admit it. The team did every thing they were told. His choices were wrong.

A. Embarrassing, absolutely embarrassing. No discipline whatsoever. That has to be a reflection on me. I am obviously not doing a good enough job of getting our players to understand how to play smart

You mean say something like that and admit its his fault? But wait, youre not stupid, so you obviously read that already and took it to mean something else.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 03:27 PM
The last 20 hours have produced some stuff that's just plain stupid. Here's an example by someone who is not me:

Stoops made some punk comments in that interview. We're not stupid. His coaching staff is the sole reason for the lost. He needs to fess up and admit it. The team did every thing they were told.* His choices were wrong.

*Then we need to fire our holding coach !

cccasooner2
1/3/2008, 03:28 PM
....you know....

That's the problem!!!! :pop:

wishbonesooner
1/3/2008, 03:32 PM
I will be totally shocked if there any changes whatsoever in the coaching staff or their duties. If I'm wrong, I'll man up and say I was wrong, but Bob is a proud guy, and I think also very stubborn. I said this before, but I really believe he's at a crossroad in his career. Most coaches that have achieved a lot in their careers have experienced the same thing. How he deals with it will have a lot to say about whatever legacy he wants to leave at OU.

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 03:37 PM
The last 20 hours have produced some stuff that's just plain stupid. Here's an example by someone who is not me:

Both teams were holding. Check it ... we had the same amount of penalties - 13. That argument is LAME. :mad:

sooneron
1/3/2008, 03:39 PM
At least he realizes changes need to be made, and that forgetting about this is not the best thing to do. I, for one, look for offseason and spring ball to be extremely intense.
I thought that we headed into Spring ball with those sentiments LAST year.

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 03:39 PM
I will be totally shocked if there any changes whatsoever in the coaching staff or their duties. If I'm wrong, I'll man up and say I was wrong, but Bob is a proud guy, and I think also very stubborn. I said this before, but I really believe he's at a crossroad in his career. Most coaches that have achieved a lot in their careers have experienced the same thing. How he deals with it will have a lot to say about whatever legacy he wants to leave at OU.

OU's recruiting will suffer if he doesn't come clean and stop blaming the players. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the commitments change for next year. :eek:

Little Al
1/3/2008, 03:46 PM
What's a NooB?

Dio
1/3/2008, 03:54 PM
What's a NooB?

If you have to ask, you are one.

soonerinabilene
1/3/2008, 03:55 PM

We also had no idea who our qb was going to be. Now, we have a qb coming back that played an entire season at qb, will go through the spring as the starting qb, and instead of competing for the job will hopefully learn how to be the leader this team despererately needs.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 03:57 PM
We also had no idea who our qb was going to be. Now, we have a qb coming back that played an entire season at qb, will go through the spring as the starting qb, and instead of competing for the job will hopefully learn how to be the leader this team despererately needs.
But face it, he's not a very good tackler.

:twinkies:

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 04:02 PM
Both teams were holding. Check it ... we had the same amount of penalties - 13. That argument is LAME. :mad:

Both teams were holding, therefore our coaches are to blame for our poor performance...

Look up "non sequitur".

There's plenty of blame to go around, stop trying to heap it ALL on coaching.

And btw, my post - the one you got all :mad: about - implied that I too have posted stupid stuff within the last 20 hours. Pull your skivvies out of your bum.

SoonerGM
1/3/2008, 04:03 PM
OU's recruiting will suffer if he doesn't come clean and stop blaming the players. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the commitments change for next year. :eek:

i am missing the part where he blamed the players and took no responsiblity. can you quote that for me?

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 04:16 PM
^^ Read it again and look for it.

sooneron
1/3/2008, 04:18 PM
^^ Read it again and look for it.
You have the reading comprehension of a 2nd grader.

A. Embarrassing, absolutely embarrassing. No discipline whatsoever. That has to be a reflection on me. I am obviously not doing a good enough job of getting our players to understand how to play smart, and I think we had 12 or 13 in the Big 12 championship game. It is embarrassing and just guys just making a lot of poor choices in what they're doing. Anyway, just poor.

Seriously, retarded.

TXBOOMER
1/3/2008, 04:21 PM
Certainly, we got outplayed in a great way

Certainly, in the end, we got outplayed in a great way

Jason White's Third Knee
1/3/2008, 04:28 PM

Man, you crack me up.

atlheff
1/3/2008, 04:41 PM

No No No the holding coach is the only one whose guys excelled last night. He should get a raise!!! I wonder if he has any DC, OC, RB, QB, DB coaching experience?

DBrown
1/3/2008, 04:42 PM
A defense which showed more holes in it than swiss cheese.
A defense that appeared to show less gusto over the last couple of seasons
than it had earlier.
Bottom line.....those little missed tackles turned into GIANT-KILLING ERRORS.
Perhaps this would be a good time to use a Phil Fulmer-like tactic of refusing
a bonus/incentive as an atonement for unfinished business?

adoniijahsooner
1/3/2008, 04:43 PM

Including the choice to send granger home, I believe this team needs thugs and gangbangers on it, so that they can show a little toughness. Say what you want about Bomar, but he never showed any fear in a game. Stoops has to compromise and let the judicial system deal with the crime, while he deals with the gridiron.

SoonerGM
1/3/2008, 04:45 PM
Including the choice to send granger home, I believe this team needs thugs and gangbangers on it, so that they can show a little toughness. Say what you want about Bomar, but he never showed any fear in a game. Stoops has to compromise and let the judicial system deal with the crime, while he deals with the gridiron.

maybe you should convert to a miami fan

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 04:51 PM

That's so wrong.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
1/3/2008, 04:52 PM
maybe you should convert to a miami fan

Well I am a Dolphins fan (and just claiming that this year proves it) so UM wouldnt be a stretch............

Indy Sooner
1/3/2008, 04:57 PM
Bottom line.....those little missed tackles turned into GIANT-KILLING ERRORS.

Bingo. The Achilles' heel for the Sooners the past several years- especially within their secondary. These units have wound up being overrated during this timeframe primarily due to this deficiency. Seems Roy "HC" Williams was the last sure tackler in the OU secondary.

This skill can be improved and I hope to God is emphasized like never before in Spring Ball and Summer Camp. I also hope moving forward playing time is dictated to a larger degree on one's ability to tackle!

St. Louis Sooner
1/3/2008, 05:02 PM
The real progress is going to be made in the offseason.

The team lacked on-field leadership all year due to youth/inexperience. We made up for it with pure talent, good coaching, and to a lesser degree the ineptness of the other teams.

With most of our guys coming back, I'm hoping the experience gained from this season will turn into a positive next year.

Let's face it though, 'The Visor' just doesn't have the coaching staff he did for the 2000 NC. Couple that with his pride and stubborness (as pointed out above by 'wishbonesooner' and you've got a propensity for these things to happen each and every season. As 'The King' once said, "... Bob has trouble beating the teams he should."

The upside is that he got 11 wins with a very young team, and he took them further than I thought he could. I hope the players don't jump to the NFL because our experience and talent next year should really pay dividends.

St. Louis Sooner
1/3/2008, 05:09 PM
We had trouble tackling in 2006 also.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/3/2008, 05:24 PM
We need to fire the coach coaching Loadholt. That guy had about 50% of the penalties in the CCG and Bowl. That guy is a walking penalty flag getter...

The Maestro
1/3/2008, 06:11 PM
Pulled this from soonersports.com today. Quotes from Stoops following each loss this year. Notice a theme?

27-24 at Colorado…

They just really outplayed us. We got up 24-7 and then they outplayed us in a big time way the rest of the game. I give my compliments to them, they hung in there and made the plays. They executed the last quarter and a half a lot better than we did. They outplayed us and out-coached us in the second half. They fought their way to a heck of a win.”

“It’s never a shock when you’re the one who is competing. We understood we needed to play well to win and we didn’t. We made some really poor penalties and we didn’t play very smart, we turned the ball over there late. You just can’t have those things happen. The really poor, foolish things we did just killed us. We’re not a very smart team right now.”

“We made some poor choices and it is disappointing.”

34-27 at Texas Tech…

In the first half, I thought we really played foolishly and poorly in a lot of areas.

"Then we got all kinds of personal fouls and penalties, just bad football, and you can't play like that and win on the road, or even at home. I felt we kind of played one-handed in the first half, meaning that our offense wasn't doing anything. When you continue to give them all that possession time or all of those opportunities, you can't do that with Tech the way they move the ball. You've got to play like we did in the second half where you're moving it as well, eating up some clock and changing the field position. I just felt that in the first half, we didn't play that well as a team that way.

48-28 to West Virginia…

They played an excellent football game, really beat us in the offense and defense side of the ball and, you know, in every part of the game.

Just definitely outcoached us and outplayed us, more physical, more disciplined in all parts of the game. They are to be credited and we're not. Again, very disappointing to finish the season this way and after such a solid year to come out and play as we did.

And my favorite quote…

“We need to really look at what we need to do differently.”

The VIIIth
1/3/2008, 06:17 PM
Regardless of whether or not this is an excuse and regardless of whether or not Bob thinks he is not giving one...getting outplayed and outcoached is a repetitive theme from Stoops the past 4 BCS appearances and is an excuse.

Why not use the truth in explaining our defensive ineptitude, at my last count, I saw that we lost English, Smith, Granger, Holmes and Nick Harris last night. English played about 5 or 6 downs and was gone and I never saw Nick on the field. The majority of the breakdowns were people waay out of position in the defensive backfield and if that many key starters are down that is almost 50% of your defensive starters out. What team is going to overcome the loss of two key starters much less the five I mention.

The other issue in the defensive backfield was the Umpire whose wife and children clearly were kidnapped prior to the game and their safe return was predicated on how badly OU lost.

arlington
1/3/2008, 06:22 PM
Heres coach Stoops blaming a player, albeit in concealed form. When asked about why the need to go for an onside kick when down 5 with 21 minutes left,"We Obviously didnt kick it far enough. We had the momentum and the opportunity was there, we just didnt execute."

So a kicker should be in a position to make a game deciding play on a play that works maybe 10% of the time, one im sure they havent practiced 10 times all year.. This is Stoops saying everything was set up, we(i.e.PLAYERS!) just didnt execute..The right and ONLY answer should be, "I made a decision that hurt my team and helped turn the momentum which we could never get back..Its irrelevant whether the kicker kicked the damn ball far enough, he shouldnt be in that position. You get paid the big bucks for those decisions so show the accountability that comes with that..Hell you can justify any gamble in a game by saying, "well, hell it was open, why not." Doesnt mean you should try it.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 06:22 PM
Ooooh. I hadn't heard about that kidnaping thing!

:rolleyes: :)

Redgiant2
1/3/2008, 06:49 PM
Frankly, I'm tired of listening to Bob take the bullet for BV and BJW. It has gotten old and stale. Enough is enough. They can't get it done. Neither one of them. It is not Bob's fault that BV and BJW have utterly failed to teach even the most basic of fundamentals to players with so much potential. They know how to scream and yell and make goofy faces but they don't know how to teach. It's obvious when you have that many containment break downs and assignment busts in the secondary coupled with reprehensible fundamentals I wouldn't allow a high school team to play with, that they have failed this team.
Bob admitting that little was seen that had not been planned for speaks volumes for the co-coordinators at this juncture. Perhaps they're spending too much time on what other teams are supposed to do and not enough time on how their own team is supposed to defend that. It wasn't magic, it was a lack of basic principles that beat OU. Unfortunately, the two guys they have now don't know how to get that across to the team. It's the same story year in and year out.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 06:56 PM
Who cares about words? Nothing that Stoops says after the game is going to change anything.

Frankly, I thought Stoops' comments were right on.

OUstud
1/3/2008, 07:48 PM

Yeah, stealing a coat is GANGSTA, yo. Fo real.

oufan1
1/3/2008, 08:01 PM
Exactly!

Vaevictis
1/3/2008, 08:15 PM
Who cares about words? Nothing that Stoops says after the game is going to change anything.

Frankly, I thought Stoops' comments were right on.

The comments are and always have been right on.

But talk is cheap, and it's the results that have been lacking (wrt bowl games).

GottaHavePride
1/3/2008, 08:39 PM

I don't give a **** how many penalties the other team has. 13 is too many for OU.

toneful
1/3/2008, 08:48 PM

whatever the reasons for a loss, you can bank on that sentence coming out of Bob's mouth first thing.
He never takes responsibility for anything specific, just always spoken in a general sense of things. Kinda makes a fan fell played for a chump.

oupride
1/3/2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks for this post. This was the first time I could bring myself to the board today. Again, many thanks! Boomer Sooner!

Jdog
1/3/2008, 09:36 PM
OU's New Bowl mottos?:
a) PLAY LIKE A CHICKEN TODAY~~~
b) ALL FEAR!!!!!
c) SCARED AS HELL AND WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE.......

QC IS THE ONLY ONE THAT DIDN'T GET THE MESSAGE

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 09:38 PM
I don't give a **** how many penalties the other team has. 13 is too many for OU.
Get with the program. 13 is not a lot in high pressure games.

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 10:01 PM
Seriously, retarded.
Yes you are if you don't understand he is blaming the players for the lost.

Let's talk about the off-side kick? The dumb 2-pt conversion tries? Or wasting the clock running the ball?

:cool:

KantoSooner
1/3/2008, 10:44 PM
People, people, calm down. I've thoroughly studied the game, and the season and have come to a startling, but data-driven (rather than the tedious qualitative stuff above) conclusion.
It's all about my underwear.
Yes.
My bright red, OU boxers.
I tracked back and discovered that I failed to wear my OU boxers to bed the nights before Colorado, Iowa State and, sadly, the Fiesta Bowl.
Thus it is my shameful duty to declare a mea culpa. It was all MY fault.
I have made arrangements to buy an extra pair so that deficiencies in my family's laundry program will no longer affect the entire Sooner Nation.
We will never lose another game.
Sorry I didn't catch it earlier.

Lott's Bandana
1/3/2008, 11:06 PM
When Bob wins, his comments are just as frank and to the point. His highs and lows aren't over the top...he calls it like he sees it. The Captain of the ship is ultimately responsible and he never backs away from this. After San Antonio he gave the players all the credit.

The game has changed considerably since 2000 and the BigXII is a perfect example of this change. He and his staff have done an amazing job of adapting to this change and for the most part, have succeeded. Where is Auburn, Florida State, Michigan, Miami, Cal, Tennessee, ND right now? Carroll and Tressel are the only other coaches to claim such a successful decade.
Yesterday was a poor performance. It was pretty phenomenal that last year's team even made it there...this isn't a pattern of BCS chokes, more accurately it is a pattern of BCS opportunities. Name a program that wouldn't love to be there every year...

AzianSooner
1/3/2008, 11:23 PM
I am sure OU COACHING STAFF - including BOB - is receiving PITY from the coaches around the country NOT RESPECT.

Even Univ. Cinci coaching staff is already fired up and ready to beat OU.

The VIIIth
1/4/2008, 09:56 AM
Get with the program. 13 is not a lot in high pressure games.

260 yards of penalties and 13 is a godawful amount of penalties and yardage. Not to mention they negated a big play on almost every call.

The Maestro
1/4/2008, 10:34 AM
I have no problem with Bob saying that about Hartley's execution. There wasn't a WVU player in the middle of the field and OU had that ball swarmed...it just went 9 yards. Two more and Bob is a genius and we pull it off. It doesn't mean we would have won, but Garrett failed to execute...plain and simple. He's a big boy and has to face facts. Kickers don't have much to do in practice so being asked to kick the ball ten yards shouldn't be too much to ask.

sooneron
1/4/2008, 11:09 AM
Yes you are if you don't understand he is blaming the players for the lost.

Let's talk about the off-side kick? The dumb 2-pt conversion tries? Or wasting the clock running the ball?

:cool:
I see no blaming them for the "lost".
He basically said that it is the coach's job to get the players to play smart and to make the plays. He said that he didn't do that. What are you missing? He is right, it is his job and the staff's job to show the team how to execute in an intelligent manner. What do you think coaches do? They don't just come up with plays and hand them to the players. Maybe you have never been a part of a practice. That could explain this.