PDA

View Full Version : So You're Bob Stoops...

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 12:27 PM
... and DeMarcus Granger steps into your office.

What do you say?

What punishment do you deliver?

OKLA21FAN
1/3/2008, 12:29 PM
make him re-take all his finals and don't give him credit for it :pop:

UTsucks
1/3/2008, 12:29 PM
Buh bye

The Maestro
1/3/2008, 12:30 PM
I ask DeMarcus what would happen if he, Bob Stoops, got caught stealing while on a business trip.

There's your answer...

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2008, 12:30 PM

What do you say?

Make him watch the WVU game film over and over and over...

Widescreen
1/3/2008, 12:31 PM
I hope his teammates have already been dishing out a fair amount of punishment such that DG may not want to stick around.

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 12:34 PM
"Your scholarship has been revoked. We wish you the best."

OKCIS
1/3/2008, 12:37 PM
"Get out of my office your a disgrace to this program and your family"

soonersn20xx
1/3/2008, 12:39 PM
As the Sooner players were in Phoenix representing the university, I would consider Granger's actions unforgiveable.........send him packing.

We might not be able to win bowl games we should but at least we can hold players accountable unlike other schools.

auto
1/3/2008, 12:39 PM

Now that's funny:D

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 12:40 PM
that and that:

"Get out of my office you're a disgrace to this program and your family"

soonershane22
1/3/2008, 12:43 PM
Granger got off easy being sent home. The punishment would have been to make him stand on the sidelines in uniform and watch that game!

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2008, 12:44 PM
Pack your ****, thief.

I hear Sam Houston State needs some help at the defensive tackle spot.

And don't expect the University to help you with petitioning the NCAA for eligibility. What, your **** ain't packed yet? Get to movin', boy. You're stinkin' up the room.

r5TPsooner
1/3/2008, 12:50 PM
I'm kinda torn on the Granger subject as all of have stolen something at least once in our life times. However, I never did it representing my team, my school, or my company.

I guess it comes down to mulligans.... do you give Granger one or tell him to get out of the cart and walk.

Bob Stoops is our coach and whatever he decides is cool with me.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 12:52 PM
....Bob Stoops is our coach and whatever he decides is cool with me.
I'm with that. Bob's the man.

OKLA21FAN
1/3/2008, 12:53 PM
I'm with that. Bob's the man.
but is he 40??!!???

1stTimeCaller
1/3/2008, 12:54 PM
I'd let him back on the team. Sit out 5 games next season.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 12:55 PM
I'm kinda torn on the Granger subject as all of have stolen something at least once in our life times.

I cannot think of a single time I have ever stolen anything.

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 12:57 PM
I might be wrong, but I'm sure he has to go court for it. Shoplifting is a felony.

Pigface1
1/3/2008, 01:00 PM
"Apparently you didn't get the memo. Pack your s***."

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2008, 01:00 PM
I'm kinda torn on the Granger subject as all of have stolen something at least once in our life times. However, I never did it representing my team, my school, or my company.

Yeah. When I was four.

My *** STILL hurts from the beating I received. Let's just say snaking your hand through the partition in the checkout line at Crest Foods in Midwest City for a piece of Laffy Taffy is NOT worth an assbeating. And I was a lil' guy, still young enough to make stupid decisions. Granger's old enough to vote, go to prison, all that good stuff.

Public drunk after a campus party, I can see. Busted for raising hell in the wee hours of the morning, I can see. Grade trouble, I can see. It all deserves punishment in some form or fashion, but not throat cutting.

But shoplifting? AKA being a low down, dog dirty, piece of sh*t thief? ESPECIALLY when you're old enough to know better?

There ain't a whole lot worse in my book. Crush him.

r5TPsooner
1/3/2008, 01:01 PM

Well good for you.... go grab yourself a ****ing cookie!

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2008, 01:01 PM

I guess it comes down to mulligans.... do you give Granger one or tell him to get out of the cart and walk.

Bob Stoops is our coach and whatever he decides is cool with me.

I stole some beer out of a neighbor's garage in order to commit 2 wrongs at the same time. But I was 13 and not on a full ride athletic scholarship.

(Don't tell my parents about the beer as they never found out and I don't want a whippin' now that I'm 51).

Rhino
1/3/2008, 01:06 PM
This is your last chance.

Schmitty, he's all yours.

Curfew through the next fall. Sits out the first two games.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2008, 01:09 PM
Well i'm just guessing he might get a second chance because he wasn't booted immediately when this went down. I'm alright with second chances provided that 1. That it is a second chance and not a 4th or 5th chance (we don't know if Granger hasn't screwed anything up in the past) 2. That they player not only understands what he did was wrong but is sincere in making good with a second chance.

Nothing that Stoops does is going to excuse Granger from any legal problems he has but it isn't like the guy is a rapist. If he is willing to accept responsibility for what he did I'd give the guy a second chance....again SECOND...not 3rd.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 01:12 PM
But shoplifting? AKA being a low down, dog dirty, piece of sh*t thief? ESPECIALLY when you're old enough to know better?

There ain't a whole lot worse in my book. Crush him.

Truer words have not been spoken.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2008, 01:15 PM
Well i'm just guessing he might get a second chance because he wasn't booted immediately when this went down. I'm alright with second chances provided that 1. That it is a second chance and not a 4th or 5th chance (we don't know if Granger hasn't screwed anything up in the past) 2. That they player not only understands what he did was wrong but is sincere in making good with a second chance.

Nothing that Stoops does is going to excuse Granger from any legal problems he has but it isn't like the guy is a rapist. If he is willing to accept responsibility for what he did I'd give the guy a second chance....again SECOND...not 3rd.

I think you are spot on. We don't know if Granger has any history of being in Stoops dog house for other issues. I think Granger could opt for the draft if Stoops doesn't want him back. Isn't he a 3rd year player? He would be a low pick and the recent trouble wouldn't help, but his physical attributes would probably get him a look.

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 01:18 PM
I hope his teammates have already been dishing out a fair amount of punishment such that DG may not want to stick around.
I honestly am not sure his teammates give a damn.

They got theirs--bowl gifts, nice trip, nationally televised game, etc. I'm simply not convinced most of them care about the results of the game.

r5TPsooner
1/3/2008, 01:19 PM
I honestly am not sure his teammates give a damn.

They got theirs--bowl gifts, nice trip, nationally televised game, etc. I'm simply not convinced most of them care about the results of the game.

The way that some of them played last night I'd have to agree with you.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2008, 01:20 PM
Lizard, your punishment for Granger would be to him to watch a 2-hour speech on the evils of the playoff system followed by your karaoke rendition of The Gangs All Here.

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 01:23 PM
I've seen a lot of people mention holding Granger out of a few games to start next season, and that might be warranted (at a minimum).

One drawback of that could potentially be the media coverage of said games--each game (potentially to include a widespread broadcast of the UW game) will include commentary which will regale the viewers/readers of a team member's pre-bowl larceny when talking about our D-line's missing a player.

This almost punishes OU as much as DG, I think..

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2008, 01:30 PM
This almost punishes OU as much as DG, I think..

Exactly.

So wash your hands of the filth and cut him loose.

r5TPsooner
1/3/2008, 01:32 PM
I say make Granger spend a nite naked with Rosie O'Donnell and we'll call it even. That should be punishment enough.

frankensooner
1/3/2008, 01:33 PM
What if he had only been stealing gas? ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2008, 01:33 PM
http://www.bigplansbigcrash.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/rosie-odonnell-exit-to-eden.jpg

That's hawt.

MextheBulldog
1/3/2008, 01:40 PM
I might be wrong, but I'm sure he has to go court for it. Shoplifting is a felony.

Oh he will mos def have to make a court appearance. But it's not necessarily a felony for a $65 jacket. My guess is his lawyers will plead guility to a misdemeanor, but i am no lawyer type.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/3/2008, 01:41 PM

Nope. Misdemeanor. But it may be of the variety that still requires a court appearance. Whether or not he can do so in absentia (with legal representation) I have no idea. Could be problematic if he actually has to appear in person. I don't know if the university could help with that transportation or not (which, IMO, they should.)

Phil, lid, you want to chime in?

Anyway, if he has a clean record otherwise, I imagine the punishment the court would hand down would be relatively light.... fines, community service, etc.

As for what Bob should do?

"DeMarcus, you have greatly disappointed us and are indefinitely suspended. Your reinstatement to the team will depend upon you completing all of the terms of your sentencing with expedience and your full effort and cooperation. It will depend upon you staying academically elligible. In addition, we have arranged an opportunity for you to redeem yourself and make a positive difference in the community. Throughout spring practice you will not be with the team during practices or scrimages. That time will be spent instead at the local homeless shelter serving those in need. And at the conclusion of spring practice you will spend the entirety of Spring break helping build homes for Habitat for Humanity. Finally, you will write a letter of apology to each of the following: your family, your team, your fellow students, Burlington Coat Factory employees, and the Fiesta Bowl. I want you to get started immediately. I want the letters on my desk by Monday morning. If you feel my terms are unfair, and you do not wish to comply, then instead of dropping off the letters Monday morning, you can come by and pick up this transfer and release paperwork we have filled out for you from the secretary. Please close the door behind you as you leave."

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 01:42 PM
http://www.bigplansbigcrash.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/rosie-odonnell-exit-to-eden.jpg

That's hawt.
I hate you for this.

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 01:44 PM
"DeMarcus I don't feel I can deal with you in a fair way right now because I am P!SSED beyond words about what happened last night!!!" "In order to make the best decision it would be wise if you came back after I have calmed down a bit." " I think we both need to do a lot of SOUL SEARCHING to figure out what is best for both of us to GET BETTER." "Come back in about a week or so and we'll sit down."

"Now get the HELL out of my office because I've got a TON of work to do to restore the OU rep and my own rep!"

At least that what he should say.

r5TPsooner
1/3/2008, 01:44 PM

That's hawt.

Beano needs to lock this thread right damned now!:D

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 01:57 PM
"Now get the HELL out of my office because I've got a TON of money to count!!!oneone"
fixed.

(Joking)

(Kind of)

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2008, 01:58 PM
Boy howdy, when it starts to spiral downward, it spins like toilet water, don't it.

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 02:06 PM
Boy howdy, when it starts to spiral downward, it spins like toilet water, don't it.
heh.

swardboy
1/3/2008, 02:07 PM
Before this thread falls totally apart......Hasn't Stoops already set a guideline for this in the handling of the Broyles incident? I know he has the right to handle things on a case-by-case basis, but don't the two compare?

Now the Idiot's mistake was putting the team in the NCAA's cross-hairs.

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 02:09 PM
You were the one who posted the picture of O'Donnell.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2008, 02:25 PM
You were the one who posted the picture of O'Donnell.

http://www.celebritybabies.info/wp-content/uploads/0813_rosie_odonnell_inf.jpg

Who?

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 02:29 PM
I wish the most horrible things for you at present.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2008, 02:33 PM
I wish the most horrible things for you at present.

http://tallfreak.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/rosie-oterror.jpg

Now now, there's no need for all that.

Just check out this picture of some unnamed person I found on the internet until you find inner peace.

OUMedMan
1/3/2008, 03:04 PM
True story from New Mexico State University, about 1969.

NMSU had a rodeo arena (still does, I guess), and frequently rodeos were held on Saturday nights. One particular Saturday night a fine country and western band was brought in to perform, and was setup on a flat bed truck. They were driven out to the middle of the arena in between the various acts and keep the audience entertained as new bulls were brought in or whatever they did in between acts.

One young man had been sampling some brews, and got in an argument with another guy in his dorm about how brave he was. The other guy in the dorm bet the fellow $100 that he wasn't brave enough to get in the flat bed truck while the band was playing and drive off.

Well, it turns out the fellow was indeed brave enough and won the $100. He wasn't exactly able to drive off, since the gates on the rodeo arena were shut, but he was able to make quite a few laps around the arena before his adventure came to an end. The band and various rodeo fans weren't impressed by his act of bravery and representatives from the Department of Police were summoned. In a short manner several constables apprehended the brave young man and lodged in one of Dona Ana County's finest jails.

His case was rapidly brought to trial, and the local judge showed some good wisdom in his sentence. He felt the young miscreant should serve some jail time, but at the same time wanted to allow him to continue with his college education. So he sentenced him to 10 consecutive weekends in jail. As soon as classes were over on Friday he would go check into Jail and would spend 48 hours in the drunk tank. They would release him Sunday evening so he could prepare for another weeks worth of classes.

He hated it. And he didn't see any need for inform his parents of his weekend activity. They probably would have never learned about his adventure except his older sister who lived in Denver happened to read an article about an idiot NMSU student with just exactly the same name as her kid brother who drove off in a flat bed truck at a rodeo while the band was still playing. She queried her parents about any possible connection, and so he was discovered by his family, who, alas, weren't at all impressed with his courage.

So there's the solution -- have the young shoplifter lodged weekends this next semester at the University of Oklahoma jail or some other fine Oklahoma penal institution.

frankensooner
1/3/2008, 03:07 PM
That was a lot of typing. Too bad the crime was committed in Arizona. :rolleyes:

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2008, 03:09 PM
True story from New Mexico State University, about 1969.

NMSU had a rodeo arena (still does, I guess), and frequently rodeos were held on Saturday nights. One particular Saturday night a fine country and western band was brought in to perform, and was setup on a flat bed truck. They were driven out to the middle of the arena in between the various acts and keep the audience entertained as new bulls were brought in or whatever they did in between acts.

One young man had been sampling some brews, and got in an argument with another guy in his dorm about how brave he was. The other guy in the dorm bet the fellow $100 that he wasn't brave enough to get in the flat bed truck while the band was playing and drive off.

Well, it turns out the fellow was indeed brave enough and won the $100. He wasn't exactly able to drive off, since the gates on the rodeo arena were shut, but he was able to make quite a few laps around the arena before his adventure came to an end. The band and various rodeo fans weren't impressed by his act of bravery and representatives from the Department of Police were summoned. In a short manner several constables apprehended the brave young man and lodged in one of Dona Ana County's finest jails.

His case was rapidly brought to trial, and the local judge showed some good wisdom in his sentence. He felt the young miscreant should serve some jail time, but at the same time wanted to allow him to continue with his college education. So he sentenced him to 10 consecutive weekends in jail. As soon as classes were over on Friday he would go check into Jail and would spend 48 hours in the drunk tank. They would release him Sunday evening so he could prepare for another weeks worth of classes.

He hated it. And he didn't see any need for inform his parents of his weekend activity. They probably would have never learned about his adventure except his older sister who lived in Denver happened to read an article about an idiot NMSU student with just exactly the same name as her kid brother who drove off in a flat bed truck at a rodeo while the band was still playing. She queried her parents about any possible connection, and so he was discovered by his family, who, alas, weren't at all impressed with his courage.

So there's the solution -- have the young shoplifter lodged weekends this next semester at the University of Oklahoma jail or some other fine Oklahoma penal institution.

I remember some dark semesters at school where I still would have looked forward to the weekend. :eek:

BoonesFarmSooner
1/3/2008, 03:13 PM
We might not be able to win bowl games we should but at least we can hold players accountable unlike other schools.

oh the humanity! We are ***THAT*** school now!

OUMedMan
1/3/2008, 03:46 PM
That was a lot of typing. Too bad the crime was committed in Arizona. :rolleyes:

Not a problem.

There are quite a few private prisons in various states (including Oklahoma) that lodge miscreants from other states. All that needs to be done is to convince the Arizona judge to allow him to do his time in Oklahoma.

On the other hand, if he had to do it in Arizona, he would probably be lodged as a guest of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arapo(?), and would be treated to such pleasantries as living in a tent and wearing pink underwear.

One other possiblity would be for one of the Sooner Boosters to make their private jet available to transport him from Tempe to Arizona for each weekend's incarceration.

r5TPsooner
1/3/2008, 03:51 PM
oH gOD MAKE IT STOP.

RedstickSooner
1/3/2008, 03:58 PM
I think his punishment should've been to be at the game, in street clothes, standing in a pile made up of every jacket anyone on the team (players & coaches) owns.

Maybe wearing a dress.

And a dunce hat.

But, that'd probably be mean.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/3/2008, 04:08 PM
It's just a bad dream, fatboy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCLN4_57i-o)

OhU1
1/3/2008, 04:12 PM
As Stoops: "Don't let the door hit you in the *** ace. Take a walk."

If Granger was a 3rd string bench warmer this topic would not even be up for debate. Didn't we have a 3rd string quarterback that got kicked off the team a few years ago for theft? Everyone applauded the no nonsense solution of kicking that bench warmer off the team. But with a good player we are supposed to slap DeMarcus's wrist because "everyone steals, or has, or will steal" so it's not a big deal.

sooneron
1/3/2008, 04:12 PM
Horrible quality, but you get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCLN4_57i-o

heh

sooneron
1/3/2008, 04:14 PM
It's just a bad dream, fatboy. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/%3Cobject%20width=%22425%22%20height=%22355%22%3E% 3Cparam%20name=%22movie%22%20value=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/OCLN4_57i-o&rel=1%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22wmode%22%20value=%22tra nsparent%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cembed%20src=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/OCLN4_57i-o&rel=1%22%20type=%22application/x-shockwave-flash%22%20wmode=%22transparent%22%20width=%22425% 22%20height=%22355%22%3E%3C/embed%3E%3C/object%3E)
You beat me to it, sorta. :confused: :confused:

Jason White's Third Knee
1/3/2008, 04:17 PM
You beat me to it, sorta. :confused: :confused:

Sweet! I wonder what prize I'll get.

sooneron
1/3/2008, 04:22 PM
Sweet! I wonder what prize I'll get.
Nuthin', your linky no worky. :D

TXBOOMER
1/3/2008, 04:33 PM
What up Dawg...U missed an *** kickin G....

Jason White's Third Knee
1/3/2008, 04:34 PM
Nuthin', your linky no worky. :D

Dangit!

The VIIIth
1/3/2008, 04:59 PM

What do you say?

I'm more interested in what Granger has to say...I see it like this,

So uh...Bob, you ignorant sl*t. Who jumped the shark the farthest? Me with the coat or you with the onside kick call?

stoopified
1/3/2008, 05:14 PM
If I'm coach Granger runs stadium steps every day until offseason conditioning starts.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 05:36 PM
Anyway, if he has a clean record otherwise, I imagine the punishment the court would hand down would be relatively light.... fines, community service, etc.

Well, I don't think he can do anything for the Phoenix community, being that he lives in Oklahoma.

Your reinstatement to the team will depend upon you completing all of the terms of your sentencing with expedience and your full effort and cooperation. It will depend upon you staying academically elligible. In addition, we have arranged an opportunity for you to redeem yourself and make a positive difference in the community. Throughout spring practice you will not be with the team during practices or scrimages. That time will be spent instead at the local homeless shelter serving those in need. And at the conclusion of spring practice you will spend the entirety of Spring break helping build homes for Habitat for Humanity. Finally, you will write a letter of apology to each of the following: your family, your team, your fellow students, Burlington Coat Factory employees, and the Fiesta Bowl. I want you to get started immediately. I want the letters on my desk by Monday morning. If you feel my terms are unfair, and you do not wish to comply, then instead of dropping off the letters Monday morning, you can come by and pick up this transfer and release paperwork we have filled out for you from the secretary. Please close the door behind you as you leave."

That has to be the sissiest punishment I have ever heard for stealing.

1. He has fulfill his sentence as dictated by the courts. (But he has to anyway.)

2. He has to stay academically ineligible. (Gee, what a harsh additional penalty we have there.)

3. He has to hang out at the local charity instead of sweating it out in Spring Practice. (Boy, that will teach him!)

4. He has to write letters of apology.

"Dear Mr. Burlington. I am sorry I stole your coat. I promise not to do that anymore.

Love,

DeMarcus Granger

PS: I really like your coats."

There! I just wrote his letter of apology. All he has to do now is cut & paste.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2008, 05:40 PM
There! I just wrote his letter of apology. All he has to do now is cut & paste.

Dammit, that's an NCAA violation!

You must hate America.

SoonerRecon
1/3/2008, 05:47 PM

if he cared about the game he wouldn't have tried to steal. since clothing seems to be a prominent thought in his brain, he should be running stadium steps in the nude.

Bccajun
1/3/2008, 06:05 PM

This is where he should go. Free money from Big Red is the same as a free coat from Burlington even if it is by his own hand.

BC

OUGuf
1/3/2008, 06:07 PM

Shoplifting is not a felony unless the dollar amount exceeds a certain amount. $75 coat will be a misdemeanor.

I would kick him off the team personally. Scholarship revoked. give it to someone who wants to not be an idiot, and actually play for the team. I am sure there are many people out there more deserving of the money than Granger.

Oldnslo
1/3/2008, 06:22 PM
Former prosecutor, here.

People, it's a misdemeanor.

I have a problem with crushing the kid's life because of a misdemeanor. OTOH, maybe it's warranted.

What I'm saying is, I wouldn't know which way I'd go until I talked to Granger. Maybe he does need to be shown the door. But I doubt it.

Right now, I'm guessing that there are few penalties Bob could pass down that are worse than Granger knowing he let his friends, family, and fans down. In about as public a way as possible. Whatever punishment Granger gets must give him the chance to rehabilitate his name.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 06:26 PM
If I'm coach Granger runs stadium steps every day until offseason conditioning starts.

Cain't. NCAA violation.

Redgiant2
1/3/2008, 06:27 PM
I'd probably send his *** packing. I'd also have to take a long hard look at why my team was so sloppy and undisciplined and perhaps if he asks the worst offender why, he might start to work out how to fix it. There is a much deeper problem going on here than a 75 dollar coat and another *** kicking.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 06:45 PM
I have a problem with crushing the kid's life because of a misdemeanor. OTOH, maybe it's warranted.

Mr. Prosecutor, the severity of the crime in terms of felony versus misdemeanor is irrelevant in this discussion.

If he had walked out with a $300 coat, it would have been a felony. But the act (that is, blatant thievery) would have been the same.

Public urination is probably just a misdemeanor. Profanity in public is probably not even a crime. But a player can get kicked off the team for both.

As a prosecutor, I cannot imagine how you would consider shoplifting a minor offense. We should be teaching the public that is, in fact, a very serious crime.

So I would throw his *** off the team. And for the media, I would state that stealing is not tolerated by my coaching staff and so we do not allow thieves to represent our university. For my players, I would tell them, "If you don't want to end up like your friend DeMarcus, you will learn to keep your ****in' hands off other people's stuff!"

Whatever punishment Granger gets must give him the chance to rehabilitate his name.

For what reason?

His name will never be rehabilitated in my eyes.

Just A Visitor Here
1/3/2008, 07:20 PM
Regardless of our opinions, we all know he's not going anywhere.

zeke
1/3/2008, 07:24 PM
Former prosecutor, here.

What I'm saying is, I wouldn't know which way I'd go until I talked to Granger. Maybe he does need to be shown the door. But I doubt it.

Right now, I'm guessing that there are few penalties Bob could pass down that are worse than Granger knowing he let his friends, family, and fans down. In about as public a way as possible. Whatever punishment Granger gets must give him the chance to rehabilitate his name.

I've got to agree with this one.

I guess Lizard, T.Fireman, a few others on this board and a fellow name Jesus are/were perfect.

The rest of us regular humans fail and sometimes might deserve another chance.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 07:28 PM
I guess Lizard, T.Fireman, a few others on this board and a fellow name Jesus are/were perfect.

The rest of us regular humans fail and sometimes might deserve another chance.

If you were on the OU football team, could you play for four years without shoplifting?

I certainly could. Therefore, I am not holding him up to a standard I couldn't stand up to myself.

zeke
1/3/2008, 08:20 PM
LL, ever cheat on your taxes, take something home from work, describe a car you are trading in a little different than it actually is or fail to mention a problem that the car had, add a little extra to an insurance claim, call in sick when you wanted to do something other than work?

All forms of stealing that seem to be accepted.

If you have NEVER taken something, anything, that didn't belong to you, you sir are one in a million. Good for you.

I find those that are MIGHTYER THAN THOU are usually hypocrites.

Vaevictis
1/3/2008, 08:25 PM
Dusty Dvoracek was dismissed from the team for something far worse than this, and was eventually allowed back on. But only after correcting the problems and making amends.

So as such, I certainly wouldn't expect to see anything more severe than that.

Granger didn't commit an unforgivable crime here -- there was no murder, no rape, no child molestation. It wasn't even a felony. The guy needs to be disciplined severely, and if I were in charge, he wouldn't see the field next year at all. But I would leave the door open for him to earn his way back onto the team, although I wouldn't guarantee him anything.

toneful
1/3/2008, 08:39 PM
Granger got off easy being sent home. The punishment would have been to make him stand on the sidelines in uniform and watch that game!
good stuff.

He paid his price...as long as teammates don't coddle his azz when he gets back. I'm afraid that might be the case, however.
Let the legal system rub its course. That, and the Fiesta suspension are good enough. He didn't pull a gun on anyone, for goodness sake.

dominationStation
1/3/2008, 08:40 PM
" A coat a 75 dollar coat? I mean if your gonna steal something try sticking a freakin plasma in your bag, a laptop or something. Demarcus If your gonna get kicked off the team do it in style brother, I mean get on the cover of SI in an orange jumpsuit or something come on man"

there you go that's what he should say.

toneful
1/3/2008, 08:41 PM
Former prosecutor, here.

well said

PLaw
1/3/2008, 08:51 PM
Stoops:

1) Indefinitely suspended pending a rigorous rehab program similar to what Dvorcek went through. Rehab for cleptomania would require hours and hours of community service.
2)He needs to shadow Gute, McCoy, and Pendleton for about a year.
3)Then he needs to pay restitution with a healthy multiplier to the store where he tried to lift the jacket.

Switzer:
1) Let me buy you a jacket.
2) Don't ever, ever let it happen again.
3) Let's go kick some t-sip and Nebbish butt.

BOOMER

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2008, 09:09 PM
Mr. Prosecutor, the severity of the crime in terms of felony versus misdemeanor is irrelevant in this discussion.

If he had walked out with a $300 coat, it would have been a felony. But the act (that is, blatant thievery) would have been the same.

Public urination is probably just a misdemeanor. Profanity in public is probably not even a crime. But a player can get kicked off the team for both.

As a prosecutor, I cannot imagine how you would consider shoplifting a minor offense. We should be teaching the public that is, in fact, a very serious crime.

So I would throw his *** off the team. And for the media, I would state that stealing is not tolerated by my coaching staff and so we do not allow thieves to represent our university. For my players, I would tell them, "If you don't want to end up like your friend DeMarcus, you will learn to keep your ****in' hands off other people's stuff!"

For what reason?

The fact that Granger will never be rehabilitated in the Lizard's glassy eyes is punishment enough.

I do find it funny that Lizard can even be condescending to former prosecutors. Apparently the severity of the crime is "irrelevant".

If Granger had robbed a liquor store at gunpoint I don't think there would be any question as to what to do. He wouldn't be spending his time at OU anyway.

As it is he deserves some punishment but if this is the only time he has stepped out of line I am for giving him a second chance. Dvoracek got one and it worked out.

47Wins
1/3/2008, 09:16 PM
One side of me would like to say that Granger wouldn't be coming to my office. His junk would be laying in front of the Bud house when he arrived.

The other side wants to know if this has been a pattern or if it is absolutely the first time. If a pattern, then see above. If the first time I would make his life a living hell until next season, suspend him for some games then let him back IF that's where he wants to be and I would want him to want it real bad.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 10:09 PM
LL, ever cheat on your taxes,

No, the government cheats me on my taxes.

take something home from work,

Not that I can remember.

Do you steal from your employer?

describe a car you are trading in a little different than it actually is or fail to mention a problem that the car had,

All the cars I have turned in have been for wholesale.

add a little extra to an insurance claim,

Nope. I have turned in two claims in my life, but both were totals.

So are you admitting to insurance fraud?

call in sick when you wanted to do something other than work?

Is this even a crime?

To answer your question, I have never had to do this since sick days were considered personal days. Yes, I would call in sick when I was not sick, but that was a mere formality. The boss didn't care if I was sick or not.

If you have NEVER taken something, anything, that didn't belong to you, you sir are one in a million. Good for you.

Well, I did have a dime stick to my shoe once and I ended up taking it home. :)

Not sure if that would be considered theft. To you, that is tantamount to deliberately removing a price tag off of an item and walking out of the store with it.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 10:17 PM
Apparently the severity of the crime is "irrelevant".

I never said that. I said that it doesn't have to be a misdemeanor to be considered a serious violation of our university code. Again, you can be kicked off the team for things that are not even crimes. So what difference does it make to Stoops if the theft was a misdemeanor or a felony? The only difference in the eyes of the law is the cost of the coat. But why should that matter to Stoops?

And you cannot force a player to pay restitution.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/4/2008, 11:48 AM
I never said that. I said that it doesn't have to be a misdemeanor to be considered a serious violation of our university code. Again, you can be kicked off the team for things that are not even crimes. So what difference does it make to Stoops if the theft was a misdemeanor or a felony? The only difference in the eyes of the law is the cost of the coat. But why should that matter to Stoops?

And you cannot force a player to pay restitution.

I'll dumb it down a little for you.

Misdemeanor = bad

Felony = Really Really bad (many hit points):pop:

You do something bad the coach might use his discretion and give a player a second chance. Really really bad..game over.

Look if Stoops chooses to boot a player off the team for less than Granger did that is fine but I make a distinction between petty theft and say being a rapist.

Also I guarantee you that Stoops can make Granger pay restitution if he so chooses. Granger can "voluntarily" pay restitiution as part of demonstrating his sincerity or making things right and rejoining the Sooner program. Just as he might "volunteer" for some offseason conditioning.

The VIIIth
1/4/2008, 12:37 PM

Felony = Really Really bad (many hit points):pop:

Hit Points...

Now, that was funny.

sooneron
1/4/2008, 12:44 PM
For what reason?

First of all, I am sure that DG is all tore up about that.

Second of all, who named you God and judge?

BillyBall
1/4/2008, 12:50 PM
This is your last chance.

Schmitty, he's all yours.

Curfew through the next fall. Sits out the first two games.

Isn't that pretty similar to Brandon Everage's "punishment"?

NS5
1/4/2008, 12:52 PM
Tough Crowd, must be left over feelings from the game. I don't have
an answer but I see harden answers

StoopTroup
1/4/2008, 12:55 PM
I'd like to hear what DG thinks his punishment should be and I think he should do it in front of the team behind closed doors.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/4/2008, 01:43 PM
I think he should do it in front of the team behind closed doors.

Dude.

That's hawt.

zeke
1/4/2008, 02:40 PM
Well LL you are a better person than I am.

I still believe that the guy might deserve another chance. Maybe not, I dont know all of the facts. But sometimes people change.

1stTimeCaller
1/4/2008, 03:06 PM
that horse Leroy is riding must be at least 80 hands tall.

BoomerGirl34
1/4/2008, 03:10 PM

It was a misdemeanor. A stupid, selfish misdemeanor.:mad:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/010107dnspoougranger.2fc54f.html

jwlynn64
1/4/2008, 03:16 PM
Aside from never doing anything wrong in his life, Leroy can also add humble to his resume, along side walking on water and turning said water into wine. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2008, 04:29 PM

Misdemeanor = bad

Felony = Really Really bad (many hit points)

If a player walks up to Stoops and yells, "F**k you, *******!" that would be no big deal according to your logic, because it isn't even a crime. I suppose Stoops would not even be bothered by this act, right?

The severity of the crime does not depend on whether it was a felony as far as Stoops is concerned. All that he will likely think about are (1) his player is a thief, (2) his absence made winning tougher, and (3) he embarrassed the university.

Felony or no felony.

Now, do you understand what I just wrote, or should I type slower?

Also I guarantee you that Stoops can make Granger pay restitution if he so chooses. Granger can "voluntarily" pay restitiution as part of demonstrating his sincerity or making things right and rejoining the Sooner program. Just as he might "volunteer" for some offseason conditioning.

Sure, he can DO it, but the university had better not find out about his strong-arm tactics. I will defend Granger at that point, and that's saying a lot given my view of his character.

BermudaSooner
1/4/2008, 04:31 PM
I understand that he was sent home on the Grey Hound. Now I don't weigh anywhere near 300 pounds, but giving the kid the hound return trip at his size has to be punishment enough.

Any of you ever spent 20 hours on a Grey Hound? I can't imagine that he'll ever do something that stupid again with possible punishment of the hound.

I'm confident that Bob will do the right thing. This could have been a bump in the road on the way to a very productive live for Granger.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2008, 04:32 PM
Second of all, who named you God and judge?

No one, which is why Stoops doesn't have to listen to a word I say.

Now, if you are saying I shouldn't be allowed to form an opinion on the matter, then come out and say so.

Vic n Tulsa
1/4/2008, 04:43 PM

What do you say?

I would send him packing back to Texas. OU should stand by it's morals if you have any. Meanwhile Mack says, c'mon on down to Austin, we have lots of fellow thiefs on this team to make you feel comfortable.

Come October, you would say sic'em boy! I'd like to see that next year:texan:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/4/2008, 04:44 PM
If a player walks up to Stoops and yells, "F**k you, *******!" that would be no big deal according to your logic, because it isn't even a crime. I suppose Stoops would not even be bothered by this act, right? Yeah I know that has nothing to do with what you said but I can't read your post from my perch on my 28' tall horse.

That's right you saying that petty threft isn't as bad as a felony is EXACTLY the same thing as Granger whipping out his nutsack and banging it on coach Stoops desk.

The severity of the crime does not depend on whether it was a felony as far as Stoops is concerned. All that he will likely think about are (1) his player is a thief, (2) his absence made winning tougher, and (3) he embarrassed the university.

Play artist Korn....

Wow. Lizard knows what Stoops his thinking. Yeah if Stoops doesn't decide to kick Granger off the team immediately it probably means that a precident has been set where players can literally walk in Stoops office and take a sh*t on his desk.

mdklatt
1/4/2008, 05:12 PM
It's not so much the crime itself that bothers me, but the stupidity behind it. It's just like Bomar and his MIP at the Hornets game, and look how that all ended. I wasn't in favor of Dusty Dvoracek getting reinstated, but at least you can go to counseling for problems like that. You can't fix stupid.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2008, 05:14 PM
That's right you saying that petty threft isn't as bad as a felony is EXACTLY the same thing as Granger whipping out his nutsack and banging it on coach Stoops desk.

The point stands: A player does not have to be convicted of a felony in order to be kicked off the team. He can be thrown off the team for things that are not even crimes. Therefore, the fact that Granger stole a $75 coat instead of a $250 coat does not make the crime incidental as far as his future on the team is concerned.

If you agree, then there is no need to argue further on this point.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/4/2008, 05:28 PM
The point stands: A player does not have to be convicted of a felony in order to be kicked off the team. He can be thrown off the team for things that are not even crimes. Therefore, the fact that Granger stole a $75 coat instead of a $250 coat does not make the crime incidental as far as his future on the team is concerned.

You really ARE that dense aren't you. Never did I even suggest that Stoops should have some arbitrary value(say $128.95 and up) at which stealing is no longer OK.

I'm saying that Granger was an idiot and deserves some punishment that COULD include being booted off the team but the fact that it was a petty theft and not for example selling coke and catnip to middle schoolers.

That logic does not apply to any one of a number of stupid acts that the coach can if he chooses boot someone off the team for doing.

You really are Thesaurus Rex.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/4/2008, 05:29 PM

You really ARE that dense aren't you. Never did I even suggest that Stoops should have some arbitrary value(say $128.95 and up) at which stealing is no longer OK.

I'm saying that Granger was an idiot and deserves some punishment that COULD include being booted off the team but the fact that it was a petty theft and not for example selling coke and catnip to middle schoolers.

That logic does not apply to any one of a number of stupid acts that the coach can if he chooses boot someone off the team for doing.

You really are Thesaurus Rex.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/4/2008, 05:45 PM

Felony or no felony.

Wow. Lizard knows what Stoops his thinking. Yeah if Stoops doesn't decide to kick Granger off the team immediately it probably means that a precident has been set where players can literally walk in Stoops office and take a sh*t on his desk.

I don't know about all that. But seriously, outside of Leroy, myself, and maybe a few others, where's the indignation at what this guy did? Whether it was a $75 coat, a $50,000 brick of gold, or a $1 candy bar, guess what? Granger is old enough to know better, and it's thievery, plain and simple. The coveting of another's goods to the point of taking it without permission, without just compensation. In other words...

The kid's a piece of sh*t thief.

What if it was YOUR $75 coat? Your $1 candy bar? Your $50,000 brick of gold? Is it any less thieving? Is it any less of an invasion of a right considered legally as American gospel with the V Amendment? Considered a violation of basic moral tenet since the origins of written history? You can't boil it down any further than that. He's an adult. He's a representative of an institution composed of many pieces, yet greater than the sum of its parts. He's responsible for his actions and his actions have shown, regardless of the level of crime, regardless of the location, that to be representative of such organization, he has failed to hold up a standard expected of not some, but ALL members.

There's SO many things a young man can do that can be overlooked. That second chances can be given and heads turned, with a strengthening of a moral lesson and a hope the lesson is learned. But this is not one of them. This is an affront on the most base of levels, an action to abhor, unacceptable in any circumstance. It is indicative of a innate lack of respect for personal property and personal consequence.

It is NOT indicative of an Oklahoma Sooner in my book.

Hence why the two cannot coexist.

What Coach Stoops does is his to do. But were the decision mine, for an offense as grievous and disrespectful as this, Mr. Granger would no longer enjoy the honor and privelege of wearing the crimson and cream.

oudivesherpa
1/4/2008, 06:12 PM
I would tell him that he cost himself at least $1M, in potential draft income, The NFL is very high on Character, and while you may still get drafted you have hurt yourself by raising the Character issue. Was a $150 coat worth it?
I'd put him on probation, let him back on the team, and tell him his whole future is on the line. Screw up and he'll be like Marcus Dupree.

mdklatt
1/4/2008, 06:14 PM
The NFL is very high on Character

Hee hee!

Oh...are you serious?? :confused:

usmc-sooner
1/4/2008, 07:10 PM
It's not so much the crime itself that bothers me, but the stupidity behind it. It's just like Bomar and his MIP at the Hornets game, and look how that all ended. I wasn't in favor of Dusty Dvoracek getting reinstated, but at least you can go to counseling for problems like that. You can't fix stupid.

I'm kinda with you in the fact that I'm not so ticked about the crime but the timing and the stupidity of it. I'm not happy about the crime but the timing really baffles me.

usmc-sooner
1/4/2008, 07:12 PM
I don't know about all that. But seriously, outside of Leroy, myself, and maybe a few others, where's the indignation at what this guy did? Whether it was a $75 coat, a $50,000 brick of gold, or a $1 candy bar, guess what? Granger is old enough to know better, and it's thievery, plain and simple. The coveting of another's goods to the point of taking it without permission, without just compensation. In other words...

What if it was YOUR $75 coat? Your $1 candy bar? Your $50,000 brick of gold? Is it any less thieving? Is it any less of an invasion of a right considered legally as American gospel with the V Amendment? Considered a violation of basic moral tenet since the origins of written history? You can't boil it down any further than that. He's an adult. He's a representative of an institution composed of many pieces, yet greater than the sum of its parts. He's responsible for his actions and his actions have shown, regardless of the level of crime, regardless of the location, that to be representative of such organization, he has failed to hold up a standard expected of not some, but ALL members.

There's SO many things a young man can do that can be overlooked. That second chances can be given and heads turned, with a strengthening of a moral lesson and a hope the lesson is learned. But this is not one of them. This is an affront on the most base of levels, an action to abhor, unacceptable in any circumstance. It is indicative of a innate lack of respect for personal property and personal consequence.

What Coach Stoops does is his to do. But were the decision mine, for an offense as grievous and disrespectful as this, Mr. Granger would no longer enjoy the honor and privelege of wearing the crimson and cream.

morally I agree with you, but we'd have to kick a buttload of kids off every team and every campus.

KC//CRIMSON
1/4/2008, 07:33 PM
"Congratulations, you dumb bastard! You're going to be the first player in OU history to wear a coat during two-a-day practices!"

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2008, 08:06 PM
usmc-sooner, very eloquently put.

KC Crimson, love the irony. That would be a just punishment. :)

There is an arbitrary value, however, for the theft to be considered worthy of being kicked off the team according to some in here: $250. I find that logic horrid. You either agree with it or you don't. If you don't, then you agree with me (which is bound to get you in a lot of trouble on this board).

And is the difference between petty theft and real theft based on an arbitrary value according to your logic? Yes, $250. I say the act is the same regardless of how much the coat costs.

This all started because Mr. Prosecutor Man stated that he would consider not kicking DeMarcus off the team because the theft was only a misdemeanor, in other words, because the coat wasn't that expensive. To me, that logic makes no sense.

winnard
1/4/2008, 08:42 PM

What do you say?

I'd make him wear that Members Only jacket straight home.

trwxxa
1/4/2008, 09:03 PM
Here is Bob's take, for now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3181128

1stTimeCaller
1/4/2008, 09:09 PM
This all started because Mr. Prosecutor Man stated that he would consider not kicking DeMarcus off the team because the theft was only a misdemeanor, in other words, because the coat wasn't that expensive. To me, that logic makes no sense.

Why are you so smug? The poster's name is OldnSlo. His real name is Adam. He's a great guy. There's no need is saying Mr. Prosecutor Man.

Evidently society as a whole places a dollar amount on how bad a theft is. Right? That's why a dollar amount separates a felony from a misdemeanor, right?

I don't really understand why you have such a hard on about this issue. You have an opinion and have stated and restated and restated it.

We get it.

I happen to disagree with what you think should happen but I respect your opinion. I don't respect your way of turning this discussion into a debate. It's juvenile as there are no winner or losers in this discussion.

SOONER STEAKER
1/4/2008, 09:13 PM
Marcus, grass drills with Schmitty every day. When your done, youll serv soup down at the soup kitchen. or your sumer job, go apply at Burlington Coat Factory.

OhU1
1/4/2008, 09:54 PM
I don't know about all that. But seriously, outside of Leroy, myself, and maybe a few others, where's the indignation at what this guy did?

Tulsa Fireman it's because Granger is a potential star. Everyone applauded the new tough standards at OU when bench warmer back up QB Hunter Wall was kicked off the team.

BTW Stoops had to kick Bomar off the team because the powers that be told him he had to. I'm not saying Stoops wouldn't have kicked Bomar off on his own but it was not Stoop's decision to make. Ultimately Stoops is down the chain of command in University politics. :texan:

1stTimeCaller
1/4/2008, 10:07 PM
BTW Stoops had to kick Bomar off the team because the powers that be told him he had to. I'm not saying Stoops wouldn't have kicked Bomar off on his own but it was not Stoop's decision to make. Ultimately Stoops is down the chain of command in University politics. :texan:

Sir, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

A friend of mine was golfing with Coach Stoops when he was notified of the University's findings in Bomar's case. It was Bob Stoops' decision to make and he wasn't sorry that he had a great reason to get rid on Bomar.

He may be down the chain of command in University politics but he's the top dog when it comes to the football team.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2008, 10:59 PM
Why are you so smug? The poster's name is OldnSlo. His real name is Adam. He's a great guy. There's no need is saying Mr. Prosecutor Man.

Agreed. I was out of line.

I am just a little worried when PROSECUTORS are downplaying the significance of shoplifting.

Evidently society as a whole places a dollar amount on how bad a theft is. Right? That's why a dollar amount separates a felony from a misdemeanor, right?

College athletes are representatives of a university. The last time I looked, a university was an institute of higher education. If this team was McAlester State Prison Sooners, then things might be different.

I don't really understand why you have such a hard on about this issue. You have an opinion and have stated and restated and restated it.

Yeah, and everyone else in here has stated it over and over as well.

I want to feel good about the players on my team. How am I supposed to say "Way to go, DeMarcus!" when the player is someone who would steal my belongings if given the opportunity? Why would you?

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops expects DeMarcus Granger, the starting defensive tackle who was sent home prior to the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl because of a shoplifting arrest, to return to the Sooners next season.

Frankly, I think that sucks. I guess if you're going to steal, make sure you're a star player.

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2008, 02:13 AM
Adios Amigos. The job is heating back up and I have to get back on it.

I am sorry to those I ****ed off. Something about Internet posting brings out the worst in us. I am actually a pretty nice guy in person.

No kiddin'.

Really, I'm not joking.

Redgiant2
1/5/2008, 05:16 AM

I have to agree with you here. I cannot believe that this engenders any kind of respect for the coaching staff in any shape form or way. These guys are not dumb, they might be unethical or of low moral character, but they are definitely not dumb. And allowing a thief to wiggle his way out of trouble and back onto the team can't be helping any. The fact it was done in the first place coupled with the way they played indicates a respect problem already. This can't be helping. Thieving is something that shouldn't be put up with.

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 06:30 AM
Former prosecutor, here.

You pretty smarrt fer a Joo ;) :D :cool:

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 06:44 AM
No, the government cheats me on my taxes.

Not that I can remember.

Do you steal from your employer?

All the cars I have turned in have been for wholesale.

Nope. I have turned in two claims in my life, but both were totals.

So are you admitting to insurance fraud?

Is this even a crime?

To answer your question, I have never had to do this since sick days were considered personal days. Yes, I would call in sick when I was not sick, but that was a mere formality. The boss didn't care if I was sick or not.

Well, I did have a dime stick to my shoe once and I ended up taking it home. :)

Not sure if that would be considered theft. To you, that is tantamount to deliberately removing a price tag off of an item and walking out of the store with it.
I hear LL saying he could Cast the 1st stone ! :eek:

Tulsa_Fireman
1/6/2008, 12:16 AM
I hear LL saying he could Cast the 1st stone !

OleVet! DUCK! *fling!!*

Nude Sooner
1/6/2008, 07:07 AM
For one week he has to stand in front of Dale Hall Tower, 9-11AM, wearing a sandwich sign that says "I am a shoplifter". Maybe give him a town crier bell he has to ring.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/6/2008, 02:26 PM
Bull:eek:

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2008, 02:53 PM

What do you say?

He admitted what he did. I believe in giving everyone at least one more chance for certain issues.

I would just look at him and tell him, "I hope your penmenship and your grammar is good enough for people to understand you." Then finish by saying, "You are now going to write a letter of apology to the Burlington Coat Factory store and main office expressing your sincerity. That is if you are sincerely sorry for your actions."

I then would suspend him from the team for the first 2-3 games.