PDA

View Full Version : I'll Believe Bob is....

jduggle
1/3/2008, 10:31 AM
serious and credible about taking responsibility for our horrendous bowl perfomances when he replaces Venables.

Running a nickle against WVU's spread???

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2008, 10:32 AM
Venables? You've got to be kidding. Venables doesn't coach the secondary or the DEs.

Curly Bill
1/3/2008, 10:37 AM
serious and credible about taking responsibility for our horrendous bowl perfomances when he replaces Venables.

Agreed! The staff needs to be shaken up and Venables is the obvious place to start.

...and no he doesn't coach the DE's or the secondary, but he does coordinate the whole mess.

jduggle
1/3/2008, 10:39 AM
Exactly... Venables is calling the defensive schemes. How many big games does it take before Stoops figures out that OU's defense for the most part isn't ready for the better offenses? Sure... we have a good game every now and them...but not in January!

OUmillenium
1/3/2008, 10:54 AM
Vulnerables

The_Red_Patriot
1/3/2008, 11:00 AM
I love Bob and the staffs he puts together but we have only won convincingly one time in a bowl game under Bob and that was against WSU in the Rose Bowl. On offense it seems we always play vanilla and forget what got us there. Even against FSU in the Orange bowl we did this.

Whats up with our identity crisis on offense?

Why were we in shotgun/spread formation inside the 5 yd line a couple times last night? Were not Tech, were not Missouri.....we can ran ball or hell, dial up our PA pass and hit one of TE's in the end zone...it has worked all year on those situations.

The onside kick was a good call. If OU recovers, the momentum explodes in OU's favor. Its one of those calls that if you get it, your a genius and if you don't your an idiot.

Then the defense.......WV's speed and line just tore us a new one.

We couldn’t play a complete game.

1st half---Offense was uhhhh, who were they again? and our defense played okay without any help from the offense.

2nd half----Just flip those two. Our offense started rolling, our defense couldn’t stop them at all

Im not calling for coach’s heads....maybe they need to make some changes in their bowl preparations because this is simply not getting the job done.

Yea, we won the big 12 again but is that enough?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2008, 11:01 AM
Wow.

I'm going to come off like a Venables apologist I guess. Look I don't think he is the defensive coordinator that Mike Stoops is and certainly he deserves his share of the blame but lets not Chuck Long him.

1. He isn't the best DC but he is one of the better ones. The game plan against MU in the CCG was as good as any in the last 5-6 years.

2. Venables is probably the best recruiter on the staff.

3. I'm pretty sure Venables didn't ask Granger to steal a coat or advise Holmes to not study. He probably didn't go Jeff Gillooly (sp) on Reggie Smith or inject English with monkeypox. I doubt he hypnotized Loadholdt into thinking he was part of the Autobahn.

4. Venables certainly wasn't responsible for the offensive performance which for about 40 minutes was worse than the defensive performance.

I'm not saying Venables isn't accountable for some of what went down but lets not act like showing him the door is going to fix things and that we have someone in line to do better.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2008, 11:09 AM
Running a nickle against WVU's spread???

So we should run... which set again?

Against 4 and 5 receiver sets?

A 5 defensive back set? Wait, dammit, that's a NickEl. Not a nickle. Or a Nichol. I say we should've ran the Nichol defense last night with sprinkles of Nickel and a LOT less nickle because West Virginia uses the spread and I used to have a shop teacher named Nikkel who played a lot of golf and always wore polo shirts that obviously cost more than a nickel.

Some of our fans are f*ckin' retards.

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 11:13 AM
I'm glad everyone knows it the coaching, not the guys (team). The team did everything they were asked to do and didn't drop a ball (while I watched).

Stoops clearly can't coach the big games. Sad, but true.

jduggle
1/3/2008, 11:14 AM
Nice... name calling.

When you're old you'll make spelling mistakes too.

Let me ask you Einstein...why have the pros for the most abandoned the cover 2?

JohnnyMack
1/3/2008, 11:18 AM
The onside kick was a good call. If OU recovers, the momentum explodes in OU's favor. Its one of those calls that if you get it, your a genius and if you don't your an idiot.

With as tender as our momentum was at that point and considering we had forced them 3 and out their first two possessions of the second half, I'm in the "kick it deep and make Pat White throw it to beat us" camp. I agree that Stoops looks like a genius if it had worked, but the downside was too steep, as we quickly found out.

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 11:21 AM
If the on-side kick was a good call, I didn't enjoy the results ... a WV touchdown. :(

MextheBulldog
1/3/2008, 11:27 AM
I'm glad everyone knows it the coaching, not the guys (team). The team did everything they were asked to do and didn't drop a ball (while I watched).

Stoops clearly can't coach the big games. Sad, but true.

Wow. Just wow. How soon we forget that Big 12 championship domination.

Bottom line is we looked big and slow vs. the faster/quicker WVa on both sides of the ball. Only so much coaching can do to cover that up.

Choctaw
1/3/2008, 11:27 AM
maybe they need to make some changes in their bowl preparations because this is simply not getting the job done.

Well said.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2008, 11:32 AM
Nice... name calling.

OU faces 4-5 spread teams each season. The cover 2 scheme makes the most sense. It makes more sense then trying the 46 like we did for a year or 2 in the 90's with horrid results. Teams like TT or MU would kill us if we were in a cover 3 base. It makes it easy to read the defense and tougher to disguise blitzes. TT would hitch us up and down the field.

Most pro teams don't run cover 2 because NFL teams don't run the spread.

Regardless the problem isn't that we run the cover 2.

Anyway IF you are looking for a coach to scapegoat I'd go after Wright and not Venables.

StoopTroup
1/3/2008, 11:38 AM
I think that is a very good point.

I've seen a relaxed bunch nearly every Media Day sitting in the stands taking it easy acting like "Been here...done that..."

Bowl Games are a reward for the players hard work...

Bowl wins are the Fans and Coach's rewards.

I know many folks have spent lots of dOUgh following the Sooners on these Post-Season runs.

We should have lots more Trophies than we do IMO.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2008, 11:41 AM
Nice... name calling.

You didn't say Cover 2. You said Nickel.

The two are not the same as Cover 2 is indicative of safety alignment, and no, the pros haven't "for the most" abandoned Cover 2. That's actually pretty dang silly to even say that as Cover 2 is about the most common deep thirds set you'll find for keeping it underneath and in front of the defenders. Like Prevent without so much Prevent or Bubble 6/Cover 4/Umbrella 4.

Nickel is indicative simply of how many defensive backs are on the field. How you play those defensive backs is what determines the set.

By the way, you never answered my question. What's your defensive gameplan, Mr. Wizard? No nickel, say you? What're ya bringing if you're Brent Venables for an evening, oh illegitimate and shunned offspring of Buddy Ryan's loins? Which door, Monty?

1st and 10, oh great Venables replacement. What do you call? If you're not running "nickle", then just what in the hell ARE you running?

Except back to the concession stand for another hot dog and a tall glass of I Don't Know My *** From A Hole In The Ground?

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2008, 01:05 PM
Note to Venables bashers - his schemes seemed to work just fine when Bobby Jack Wright was coaching the DEs and Mike Stoops was coaching the secondary.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2008, 01:14 PM
Note to Venables bashers - his schemes seemed to work just fine when Bobby Jack Wright was coaching the DEs and Mike Stoops was coaching the secondary.

Indeed they did. It might be time to get a new coach for the secondary.

Heck they worked better when Smith, Holmes and Granger are on the field as well.