PDA

View Full Version : Offishul Coach Bashing, Ranting, Whining, and Biching Thread

LittleWingSooner
1/3/2008, 12:40 AM
I'm disappointed and every OU fan should be.

But I'm not shocked anymore. We came out flat and ill prepared.

But I liked the initial adjustments we made. But when you have grabbed momentum of a game you kick it deep. Don't onside kick it there.

After that the WVU schemes took over.

A bad trend for us in big bowl games is that other teams have better schemes than us.

Also we don't really have an identity on offense. We don't have something that scares people as an offensive system. We have decent defense but not a great one. That used to be our identity till about 04. Since then our defenses haven't been as disciplined. Really it started in 02 though.

In the 50s we had the split T and no huddle split T offenses that scared people and we had the dominant defenses then built on speed.

In the 70s we had great defense and a big play wish bone that scared people. Now we don't really have a great offense or a great defense to identify with. There is no way this team can go into next year and win a national title lacking both.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 12:40 AM
Has your coach run off to another school? Have you suffered a disappointing loss? Or do you just need a happy ending to that Cinderella season? We can help!

YOU can be the next team to experience the uplifting, healing power of defeating "National Powerhouse" Oklahoma University on the national stage in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

We'll win our conference, and that, plus our name and storied tradition, will guarantee you underdog status. Our dull and uninspired play at game-time will make your emotion and intensity shine all the brighter.

Just ask Boise State and West Virginia about the exhultation that will be yours! Just as we did for them, we will give YOUR program a memory it will cherish for years!!

The application period begins in September! But start your preparation NOW!
Dial 1 (800) BCS-BUST

:rolleyes: :pop:

GottaHavePride
1/3/2008, 12:43 AM
Plus, we commit idiotic penalties that negate a TON of big plays.

Good lord, how many times was Loadholt called for holding this season? (Just as an example.)

Argh.

IronSooner
1/3/2008, 12:43 AM
We're the other guy on the poster. Not much more to say about it anymore. It's becoming typical. I miss when we could make fun of Michigan for this.

TMcGee86
1/3/2008, 12:45 AM
I seriously am getting tired of watching our opponents become the biggest underdogs in history.

Can we once be an underdog again? Plzkthx?

hink4769
1/3/2008, 12:46 AM
haha thats pretty funny.

soonermarkus
1/3/2008, 12:51 AM
Seriously.....I've been a HUGE Stoops supporter since he got here and when the dust settles in the morning, I'm sure I still will be....but I've never seen a team more unprepared, and a team more unmotivated as tonight's team. And the play calling in my honest opinion was very bad and I don't usually play that card. Run plays up the middle when you need 3 scores in the 4th??? And this team did not execute at all which leads me to wonder what's going on with the team in these big bowl games??? I seriously question our O and D coordinators...And I do it very hesitantly because I don't like to question the abilities of people that are thousands of times more qualified than me for the job...Dont' get me wrong..it's great to compete, and get to these big games..but it would be nice to make a decent showing at one...Last year was close but still embarressing....If you adamently disagre....cut me some slack...I drank several $1.25 big drafts during the game and am just venting....Looking forward to a great 2008!!!!

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 12:52 AM
heh.

hink4769
1/3/2008, 12:55 AM
I think we're going to be fine next season. Sam had a good, if unspectacular, game. Chaney showed that he may be able to step in for Kelly as the big play threat next year. I'm guessing (and hoping) Bob uses this loss as a reason to get more involved in defensive strategy next year. One thing I didn't understand was all the runs called during the game (30 combined carries for Patrick and Brown vs. 35 passes + 7 runs for Bradford). We've been a passing team most of the year except against Okie St. and Mizzou in the CCG when we were able to establish the run. It was obvious from the start the O-line wasn't getting much push in the run game.

soonermeteor
1/3/2008, 12:57 AM
Its hard to believe but I think I feel worse this year than last year. We were a team that overachieved and escaped a few close games to play a poor Nebbish team in the big 12 championship and a stronger team (no matter what the media will tell you) in the Fiesta Bowl. However, this year is different. I think we WERE a Fiesta Bowl winning team and we got blown out. I can only hope missing some defensive starters and having an ill English were part of the problem. It also would have been nice to have Demarco and Kelly out there. Still, we end up with the same record as last year yet I think we were a much better team this year. I went to the Big 12 championship and I saw a fire in the team from the start. I was concerned about that game but one look at the team and I knew we were there to win. Tonight? There was no energy. I think we had something going in the third quarter but blew it away with that onside kick garbage. I also don't buy the we dominate a "weak" big 12 argument. We beat Texas and Missouri (twice) and they went on to dominate two very good out of conference teams. We had a good team that laid a giant tostito egg in Arizona. I think we have the type of team that could run the table next year, but I'm scared of what to expect in Jan no matter how dominate we appear.

The one positive I can pull from this game is Sam. He tried to engineer a comeback after a sluggish and disappointing start where he was getting pounded and having nothing go right. It's not his fault the defense let West Virginia run gashes through them after his attempts to get us back in the game. (There again you have the injuries, but I'm not sure how long you can run that excuse considering how bad the D was)

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 12:58 AM
But I'm not shocked anymore.

After tonight and from here on out.... I agree with you 150%!!!

tbl
1/3/2008, 01:00 AM
I've never seen a team more unprepared, and a team more unmotivated as tonight's team.
Really? Do we need to do a history lesson from the past 6 years? This isn't the first time this has happened, in almost the exact same way. You could see it from the beginning of the game. There were two totally different mindsets that took the field, and you could see who wanted to win.

batonrougesooner
1/3/2008, 01:01 AM
I don't disagree with you at all.

I don't want any other coach than Stoops but you have to question what we all saw tonight.

There is a reason we pay him greater than 2 mil. per year.

Stoops should be able to stand up and answer for the results we have seen on the field during the last several BCS bowls.

The question begs to be answered.

goingoneight
1/3/2008, 01:04 AM
Uh... yeah... that's NickZepp, FWIW. :D

Still, dood's got a point here. Talent needs to work hard, stay focused and disciplined. We're getting there, though. Not a whole lot of other teams outside of the SUC are getting consistent BCS bids. And they're the only challenger in their conference, so no surprises there.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 01:04 AM

I don't want any other coach than Stoops but you have to question what we all saw tonight.

Stoops should be able to stand up and answer for the results we have seen on the field during the last several BCS bowls.

What he said.

LoyalFan
1/3/2008, 01:06 AM
Granger, Ol' buddy! I wonder how many crucial stops you might have made had you not decided that a 75.00 jacket was worth stealing when your team and our hopes to avoid a fourth straight bowl loss depended in great part on you.
Lendy, how hard would it have been to actually attend a class, open a book, and actually COMPREHEND what was contained therein? You might have made a difference, L. Holmes; But NOOOOOO. You couldn't be bothered by such trivial matters as grades.
Bobbo. Yes...you, Coach. When will you evAr stop believing that an underdog will roll over for you? Onside kick so early in the game? Brilliant!
We were totally embarassed by a team that PLAYED TO WIN IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY!!!
Penalties!!! So many as to make me wonder if some of our players were "on the take" (and I know they weren't, so save the vitriol)...maybe the "Granger Effect"?
Hey! Granger...Holmes....Face it! PeeWee football, junior high, HS...the coaches, the admin., yo' mama, your dad, and your other sycophants told you that your fecal outflow is redolent of roses.
Guess what....it AIN'T!
OK, admin. Take the easy way out if'n yew must...you know...ala WhornFans, and delete this post. I'm betting, however, that this post will remain...eliciting agreement, hate, indifference...no matter.

BTW...to Mr. Granger...PLEASE! Do not steal your roomie's possessions as you pack your stuff prior to skulking away from THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA.

Loyal(In spite of this disgrace)Fan
Still retching.

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2008, 01:09 AM
Wow...I agree in principle, but I think you are even more ****ed than me, which is A LOT!!!!

goingoneight
1/3/2008, 01:09 AM
The only thing Stoops can do is discipline the kids who commit penalties, and do stupid things off the field. There's nothing a coach can "step in" and do about having some of his best athletes sidelined with injuries, either.

WVU was the better, faster team. Period. If Switzer was losing to Miami and we had the internet, people would totally ignore the fact that his n00b QB set all-time NCAA records, they'd ignore his scholly limitations and everything he's accomplished to rip him to shreds. I feel bad for guys that are an immediate scapegoat. Offensive linemen get it the absolute worst. Ignore the fact that they kept OUr quarterack ALIVE, but let's bitch at him because the refs beat us with the book on a few plays.

tbl
1/3/2008, 01:11 AM
Refs? Seriously????

SoonerinSouthlake
1/3/2008, 01:12 AM
agree with all of it.....except for insinuation that Stoops hasnt answered for the results.

He is a stand up guy....and he will stand at the podium this week and take it like a man.

....Im as ****ed as anyone about this.

Ive paid big money to travel to several arse whippings in the last 6 years..

...but Ive also seen him stand in front of the microphone many times and take responsibilty

Widescreen
Stoops will say "we got outplayed and outcoached. Looking forward to next season. End of questions." That's his MO. Even though I personally feel the fans deserve a more in-depth explanation after the last several years of post-season ineptitude, we won't get it.

OUAndy1807
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/Andy1807/0426bradleycopy.jpg

opksooner
1/3/2008, 01:13 AM
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

--Dylan Thomas

jagwelborn
1/3/2008, 01:14 AM
The only thing Stoops can do is discipline the kids who commit penalties, and do stupid things off the field. There's nothing a coach can "step in" and do about having some of his best athletes sidelined with injuries, either.

WVU was the better, faster team. Period. If Switzer was losing to Miami and we had the internet, people would totally ignore the fact that his n00b QB set all-time NCAA records, they'd ignore his scholly limitations and everything he's accomplished to rip him to shreds. I feel bad for guys that are an immediate scapegoat. Offensive linemen get it the absolute worst. Ignore the fact that they kept OUr quarterack ALIVE, but let's bitch at him because the refs beat us with the book on a few plays.

Yeah, WVU was the better team and had the better coach tonight too...

Scoreboard says WVU was the better team.

Stoops said he was out-coached so WVU had the better coach tonight.

I don't want Stoops to leave by any means, but I do want him to figure out how to win more BCS games than he loses. That would be nice.

LoyalFan
1/3/2008, 01:15 AM
Wow...I agree in principle, but I think you are even more ****ed than me, which is A LOT!!!!

Indeed and forsooth, am I ****ed (Wot-ever YOUR ****ed meant.)
BTW, I'll see your **** and raise a ^^^^. Take that!
Nice to find a kindred spirit, though.

LF

goingoneight
1/3/2008, 01:15 AM
This is the kind of stuff that rips the hearts out of young players who dedicated 3-5 years of their lives to this program and ****es off coaches to the extent the explore other oppurtunities.

Do you really want to look like the whorns who disrespected their team and coaching staff during the five year RRS OU winning streak? To me, that's disgusting as a fan.

batonrougesooner
1/3/2008, 01:16 AM
agree with all of it.....except for insinuation that Stoops hasnt answered for the results.

He is a stand up guy....and he will stand at the podium this week and take it like a man.

....Im as ****ed as anyone about this.

Ive paid big money to travel to several arse whippings in the last 6 years..

...but Ive also seen him stand in front of the microphone many times and take responsibilty

Answering for the results means identifying why and changing those things.

He's had plenty of opportunities.

Anyone can say "We got out coached" or "They executed better than we did."

Anyone remember "no excuses"?

Is "no excuses" synonymous with "no explanation"?

It's getting old.

soonermarkus
1/3/2008, 01:16 AM
I know Stoops will take it like a man..that's why I respect him so much..No passing the buck..and if you heard his press conference...he didn't pass the buck.....to be honest though, I keep hearing about this great D of ours...has anyone been comfortable with our secondary in YEARS???? Not me...It's just frustrating when you know you can compete against a team like this...and don't....Yes..they were the better team tonight...but are they the better team????

OUAndy1807
1/3/2008, 01:17 AM
This is the kind of stuff that rips the hearts out of young players who dedicated 3-5 years of their lives to this program and ****es off coaches to the extent the explore other oppurtunities.

Do you really want to look like the whorns who disrespected their team and coaching staff during the five year RRS OU winning streak? To me, that's disgusting as a fan.
lighten up, francis.

IronSooner
1/3/2008, 01:18 AM
Stoops will say "we got outplayed and outcoached. Looking forward to next season. End of questions." That's his MO. Even though I personally feel the fans deserve a more in-depth explanation after the last several years of post-season ineptitude, we won't get it.

I don't care if he explains it or not. He doesn't owe me ****. I just expect him to make the necessary adjustments so that we don't get "outplayed and outcoached" again. Period. Change the preparation routine, change coaches, change your hair color, I don't care. Get it fixed. That's what I expect. Find the problems, fix them, and stop losing meaningful bowl games.

goingoneight
1/3/2008, 01:19 AM
Mr. Holmes... remember; student first, athlete second.

Mr. Granger... this ain't Texas. OUr coach sent yer arse home, so learn from it. You'll be lucky to return, you know?

Mr. Stoops... ugh. Sorry man, no excuses... we got whipped. You know it, I know it. Back to the drawing board.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/3/2008, 01:31 AM
Answering for the results means identifying why and changing those things.

He's had plenty of opportunities.

Anyone can say "We got out coached" or "They executed better than we did."

Anyone remember "no excuses"?

Is "no excuses" synonymous with "no explanation"?

It's getting old.

so what should we do...scrap it all and start over with a new coach? I have serious doubts as to the idea that Bob is going to fly home thinkng....."SWEET, that was EXACTLY how I want things to go year in and year out, I wont change a thing next year"

OK2LA
1/3/2008, 01:33 AM
I just expect him to make the necessary adjustments so that we don't get "outplayed and outcoached" again. Period. Change the preparation routine, change coaches, change your hair color, I don't care. Get it fixed. That's what I expect. Find the problems, fix them, and stop losing meaningful bowl games.

Amen. I hate to be a hard *** here, but hey - if it ain't workin the way they've done it the last few years then go ALL BUSINESS and be a hard *** on the coaches. They've proved to us that they didn't prepare enough. Well - what does that tell me? You don't need to be hanging out at the tilted kilt with us fans. Get your arses in the film room - do something. Hell, do anything you want - I just don't want to see your asses out at the bars.

This is a tough one for me. I liked being able to see these guys in a relaxed setting hanging out watching the games, but man - you've proved that you didn't prepare enough. PERIOD.

How in the WORLD do you get worked by a ONE DIMENSIONAL team that has a recruiting coach running the show? I'm not one to call for heads, but I'll be surprised if Venerables survives this one. I mean - we all know what's coming - run left, run right . . . Man, we even knocked Slaton out of the game in the first quarter - they were a 2 1/2 man team - White, Devine, and the friggin' fullback (Schmidt) that we couldn't tackle either! UN FRIGGIN BELIEVABLE!

All right. I'm done. For the time being.

LittleWingSooner
1/3/2008, 01:34 AM
We either beat teams based on talent or they outscheme us and kill us. We don't out coach teams. We try and out physical or out athlete teams. It's a mindset and we need to to change. We have the talent to beat anyone we want to. We have for years. But talent won't get you far without great coaching. Right now all we have is solid coaching.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/3/2008, 01:34 AM

Is there anything he can do to avoid calling a bonehead onside kick play relatively early in the 3rd quarter when we've just regained some momentum and we're only down by a score? Or continuing (or allowing his coach staff to continue) to call run-up-the-middle plays over and over and over and over on first, second, third and long when we're down by 2-3 scores? Or is that the players' fault, too?

jdsooner
1/3/2008, 01:36 AM
Barry said that he was worried about OU playing without 3 defensive starters. When I heard about Granger's arrest, I started to doubt that we would play well. His arrest made it clear that the coaching staff did not have control of the team.

batonrougesooner
1/3/2008, 01:37 AM
so what should we do...scrap it all and start over with a new coach? I have serious doubts as to the idea that Bob is going to fly home thinkng....."SWEET, that was EXACTLY how I want things to go year in and year out, I wont change a thing next year"

If you read my post above you will see that I don't want any other coach than Stoops.

My point is that he has had several years of bowl games with the same results. He needs to re-earn his reputation and his money.

olevetonahill
1/3/2008, 01:39 AM
Be the next team to experience the uplifting, healing power of defeating "National Powerhouse" Oklahoma University on the national stage in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

We'll win our conference, and that, plus our name and storied tradition, will guarantee you underdog status. Our dull and uninspired play at game-time will make your emotion and intensity shine all the brighter.

Just ask Boise State and West Virginia about the exhultation that will be yours! Just as we did for them, we will give YOUR program a memory it will cherish for years!!

Dial 1 (800) BCS-BUST

Why I outta negger ya to Bolivia !:eek: :pop:

Fraggle145
1/3/2008, 01:42 AM
Be the next team to experience the uplifting, healing power of defeating "National Powerhouse" Oklahoma University on the national stage in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

Dial 1 (800) BCS-BUST

heh. unfortunately, with my drunky that I have on I agree. I may not tomorrow, but it sure seems that way.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 01:46 AM
Granger can look at the bright side: He didn't have to endure the humiliation that took place tonight. He was able to stay in the comforts of his own apartment throughout the entire time. And while everyone in here blasts our players and calls them names simply because they didn't play well in a football game, all he will probably face is some stair climbs and a few missed games next year.

Lucky DeMarcus.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 02:01 AM

Who cares what he says to the fans?

Nothing he says is going to change what happened. Whether or not he "nuts up" or not is irrelevant. Suppose he gets up there and cries for mercy and confesses his sins. Of what good is that to us?

This team made it to #4 and a Fiesta Bowl appearance. Let's not over do it. OU had a very good (but not great) year. Stoops is a great coach. Has everyone forgotten that we started a freshman QB this year? And that we went up against a veteran QB who was a Heisman contender?

There will be a tomorrow.

KingDavid
1/3/2008, 02:10 AM

Yep. Agreed. Harumph.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/3/2008, 02:10 AM
This team made it to #4 and a Fiesta Bowl appearance. Let's not over do it. OU had a very good (but not great) year. Stoops is a great coach. Has everyone forgotten that we started a freshman QB this year? And that we went up against a veteran QB who was a Heisman contender?

There will be a tomorrow.

The team I saw beat Missouri twice this year, the second time by three touchdowns when they were ranked #1, was nowhere in evidence tonight. And I don't just mean the missing players; I'm referring to the hunger, the drive to win, the firing-up of the team by the coaches.

After observing that contrast, excuses like this reek to me of aggy. Yeah, we had a very good year that could have stayed very good to the end but instead went straight into the ****house with the bowl game. Just like last year. There's something wrong with that. And Stoops should get busy trying to correct it.

KingDavid
1/3/2008, 02:13 AM
I kind of want Stoops to get a little more candid about the string of BCS losses. I mean, come on, every one knows it stings. I just wish he'd own it.

"You bet, it chaps my hide that we've lost four in a row. We're going to do everything in our power to turn that around next year."

We all know you're an oak, Bobby-boy. But showing the soft side every now and then - even to the god-forsaken media - isn't such a bad thing every now and then.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 02:15 AM
The team I saw beat Missouri twice this year, the second time by three touchdowns when they were ranked #1, was nowhere in evidence tonight. And I don't just mean the missing players; I'm referring to the hunger, the drive to win, the firing-up of the team by the coaches.

Fans say this after every loss. I thought the team played hard and inspired... but poorly. It happens.

And WVU had a lot to do with it.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/3/2008, 02:20 AM
Fans say this after every loss. I thought the team played hard and inspired... but poorly. It happens.

And WVU had a lot to do with it.

You know, you're right. I did say to Mr. Gal late in the game that the players were still trying their hardest, bless their hearts.

Okay then, the coaching I saw earlier in the season wasn't there. I also said to Mr. Gal that instead of looking like he was about to throw his headphones like he did in the old days, Bob looked like he was on Xanax.

Come to think of it, Xanax could explain that onsides kick call, too...

And WVU played lights out. I'm not taking anything away from them. They wanted it more than we did. Just like Boise wanted it more last year. Why does that keep happening?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2008, 02:21 AM
How in the WORLD do you get worked by a ONE DIMENSIONAL team that has a recruiting coach running the show? I'm not one to call for heads, but I'll be surprised if Venerables survives this one. I mean - we all know what's coming - run left, run right . . . Man, we even knocked Slaton out of the game in the first quarter - they were a 2 1/2 man team - White, Devine, and the friggin' fullback (Schmidt) that we couldn't tackle either! UN FRIGGIN BELIEVABLE!

do you remember the kstate fiasco of 2003? you kind of had a replay of that tonight. they found a personnel matchup they could exploit and they exploited the crap out of it. when the players that routinely lose discipline started to cheat from their assignments to help, they exploited that over the top. as soon as i saw the personnel grouping in question enter the game, i knew what was coming, but you still hope for the best.

as for the offense, well - you gameplan for a freshman QB to win the game on the road and well, it hasn't exactly worked so hot the other 2 times this year either.

dominationStation
1/3/2008, 02:21 AM
Guys take it easy isn't granger one of the slower ones. I mean not even our DB's could keep up with those cats

Octavian
1/3/2008, 02:27 AM
Nah.

I'll take Stoops every day of the week. On some nights you just can't even tie your shoes right. Tonight we couldn't even line up correctly before the snap. We had a month's worth of penalties in every phase of the game.

I'd accept the notion that the blame ultimately falls to the head coach for that. But at the same time then...the credit for 5 Big XII titles, a 97-22 record, and a National Championship also goes to Bob.

We won 11 games and the Big XII (again) with a frosh QB. Completely disappointed about tonight....but we'll be back.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/3/2008, 02:36 AM
Nah.

I'll take Stoops every day of the week. On some nights you just can't even tie your shoes right. Especially bowl nights.

Fixed.

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2008, 02:40 AM
I agree...it's the coach's job to correct it. But can you make some suggestions how? This guy is a genius and we've praised him so many times when he made calls like the onside or the going for it deep in our own territory and it worked. If we love him when he pulls it off, we can't fault him when he comes up short on the same call in another game.

I think we need a co coordinator on D...Brent should stay, but we need someone very firy and savvy to help him out. I don't think it's so much the loss of Mike as it is the lack of a replacement. We need two guys keeping each other in check and contributing ideas and film time.

Octavian
1/3/2008, 02:42 AM
Fixed.

Well, Bob's won an Orange Bowl. He's won a Rose Bowl. And a Cotton Bowl. And a Holiday Bowl.

Losing BCS games is disappointing and the 4 loss streak will rightly receive a lot of negative attention.

But it's not like we're incapable of doing it. Or haven't done it.

So no, its not fixed.

Fraggle145
1/3/2008, 02:49 AM
loyal the only problem i have with your post (although I agree with everyone you critcized) is what would you have done if we recovered the onside kick? you would have came in your pants just like everyone else on this board. and we would have had all of the momentum and been sitting on the 50 down 5 points. just sayin.

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2008, 02:53 AM
you would have came in your pants just like everyone else on this board

I sure woulda! And if it had worked, we woulda won. The momentum woulda been ridiculous.

Jello Biafra
1/3/2008, 02:57 AM
Granger can look at the bright side: He didn't have to endure the humiliation that took place tonight. He was able to stay in the comforts of his own apartment throughout the entire time. And while everyone in here blasts our players and calls them names simply because they didn't play well in a football game, all he will probably face is some stair climbs and a few missed games next year.

Lucky DeMarcus.

i really hope this is a joke because if it isn't, this is one of the bigger loser attitudes i've seen in a while.....

so you are saying even though he committed a crime, First, he will more than likely be on the team come next august and second, it's better to be in his apartment than be part of the T E A M in a loss?

Sco
1/3/2008, 03:01 AM
Our boys didn't look excited, Stoops looked pretty passive, and all in all it looked like OU walked in over-confident, expecting an easy win, and never really got it going.

I take nothing away from WVU - played a heck of a game. But I will say this - OU played with a lot of stars missing, but more than anything else, the Sooners are a young team headed by a young quarterback. Bradford looked really nervous, and he never seemed to get over it.

The only gripe I have about how OU played (other than the lack of enthusiasm) was the continuous running calls. Down 14 halfway through the 4th, and we're running. I really could not wrap my head around that.

Oh well. I'm used to OU losing the big ones. I walked into tonight's game expecting a loss, and frankly, until I see otherwise, I may keep doing that in the bowl season. I think OU can grow into something great next season with the minimal losses and the definite promise, but I'm really not shocked at tonight's loss.

Fraggle145
1/3/2008, 03:02 AM
Is ghey. If you have an opinion you should be able to state it in a civilized way (i.e., to not get baned) or without worrying that you will get some red dots (i.e., spek).

I think everyone including the mods would agree with me in saying that you shoudld be able to express your opinions just dont go overboard and use some thought even when drunk before you type. Be rational, think twice type once.

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2008, 03:07 AM
While I agree in principle, I think some of these guys wouldn't dream of thinking before they post!

NorthernIowaSooner
1/3/2008, 03:12 AM
this wasnt stoops fault of not preparing the team, look at the game again and when fox actually showed replays you see wvu pushing our guys one way and running the other, i was impressed with their ability to block us away from the ball and then we would try running and someone would grab some jersey, im not happy with this but they did a damn good job of run blocking

they also answered all our scores, we score, boom big play momentum back with them. other then the lame onside which handed them momentum they did a good job of answering and slapping us around,

i dont fault stoops theres no one else id rather have on our sideline period, he didnt hold everybody or make all the mistakes, our best play was the 30 yard penalties by wvu

CORNholio
1/3/2008, 03:18 AM
Bob has lost his fire.

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2008, 03:19 AM
See...that's when we SHOULDN'T have been running. Early in the game we shoulda been pounding it, but instead we were getting Sam beat up.

We shoulda been running at least the entire first quarter and wearing them down and then went to play action sometime in the 2nd quarter.

olevetonahill
1/3/2008, 03:22 AM
While I agree in principle, I think some of these guys wouldn't dream of thinking before they post!

Ill drunk to that !:pop:

NorthernIowaSooner
1/3/2008, 03:23 AM
Bob has lost his fire.

i dont know if i agree with that but its not what it was it seems but i still think he can pull us in one more national championship, he cant do it all, he just prepares the team, he doesnt tackle and block for them during the game but i do agree he doesnt seem as agressive in certain situations as he used to but i dont think hes lost it completely

boomersooner28
1/3/2008, 03:23 AM
oh wate just did...

poop

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 03:26 AM
i really hope this is a joke because if it isn't, this is one of the bigger loser attitudes i've seen in a while.....

so you are saying even though he committed a crime, First, he will more than likely be on the team come next august and second, it's better to be in his apartment than be part of the T E A M in a loss?

It's a sarcastic jab at DeMarcus, who I want booted off the team.

hyoctane23
1/3/2008, 03:28 AM
I LOL'ed...

olevetonahill
1/3/2008, 03:30 AM
oh wate just did...

poop
Ive only had 8 beers and 2 glasses of whiskey :cool:
Im onlyest on my seconala glass Oh Black jack .
And Im only 1/2 way thru the 2nd glass
Er is it the 1/3rd ?
It donmenuthin
I poured Black Jack Om a big ole glass with Ice at least twicet tonight
Ask Flag he Knows if it was twicet or thrice !
Dont Matter Im drunkt as hell :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :cool:

Fraggle145
1/3/2008, 03:35 AM
12 beers and one open in hand... and half a bottle of jager. :cool:

Edit: granted it was the 750ml.

olevetonahill
1/3/2008, 03:39 AM
12 beers and one open in hand... and half a bottle of jager. :cool:

Edit: granted it was the 750ml.

Im such a punanny :eek:

Fraggle145
1/3/2008, 03:43 AM
as tonight has allready proven we all cant be on our a game every night. :)

Jello Biafra
1/3/2008, 04:03 AM
It's a sarcastic jab at DeMarcus, who I want booted off the team.

good. imo it REALLY needs to happen. he let his teammates down and brings the program down.

boomersooner28
1/3/2008, 04:08 AM
m egonna wate for tha pizzy tirade shizzit till I can see straite and tpr gooder. so gimme too weeks, k?

:D

boomersooner28
1/3/2008, 04:11 AM
The end.

boomersooner28
1/3/2008, 04:14 AM
GET OFF!

boomersooner28
1/3/2008, 04:15 AM
my drunkytown hold only one and its meeeee!

boomersooner28
1/3/2008, 04:17 AM
but my sectional ios kiindfa cool. anyone have an extra couch?

boomersooner28
1/3/2008, 04:18 AM
pleez call a decent play n 1st quarter pleez thanks

boomersooner28
1/3/2008, 04:19 AM
pleez dont blitx that fazt fukin dude pat slap whitz..he will burn are azz

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 04:21 AM
I have never felt it was a good idea to blitz an option-style attack, but Brent probably knows more about defense than I do.

OUTromBoNado
1/3/2008, 04:21 AM
Also, the dink and dunk screen passes do NOT...repeat do NOT..work against a defense that has any kind of speed.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 04:22 AM
Nothing wrong with the play calling.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 04:23 AM
Does it have cup holders?

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 04:31 AM
Where were you when I was fending off the "soft-on-crime" bunch?

SoonerKnight
1/3/2008, 05:48 AM
Uh........can't disagree with this. Uh...that dude can run and wow blitzing a running back .....oooops I mean QB......wow that was brilliance but then I have to go work an listen to the haters laugh because I said no way we lose this one and now I have to eat crow so uh this sucks again!!!! :(

olevetonahill
1/3/2008, 05:52 AM
m egonna wate for tha pizzy tirade shizzit till I can see straite and tpr gooder. so gimme too weeks, k?

ytou du ur drunkin assarguin Now orfogerver ****utthefukp !
Just sayin ;)

olevetonahill
1/3/2008, 06:02 AM
Uh........can't disagree with this. Uh...that dude can run and wow blitzing a running back .....oooops I mean QB......wow that was brilliance but then I have to go work an listen to the haters laugh because I said no way we lose this one and now I have to eat crow so uh this sucks again!!!! :(
Eatin crow aint near as bad as eatinshat !
Screw it Folks we ARE OKLAHOMA :D
The 1st Bastage that trys ri shame me
will get to eat worse thn crow
Just sayin
;) :D

budbarrybob
1/3/2008, 07:08 AM
This game sucked because historically OU has been very dominant vs one dimensional teams. Lets face it if you have the talent to load the box or play soft you should dominate them. We seemed to have been playing a very vanilla defense vs a RUNNING TEAM. Their QB had a laser for an arm but the thing is it had only one speed Laser speed. It seemed that we gave him too much respect, seldom played a rush first defense and layed an offensive egg in the first half. Second half more of the same.

Next year i'd like to see the boys come out and at least act like they are pumped up to play the game before they have to resort to playing cheerleader.

Oh well, the musings of another off-season await and another 9 months to remember that we did win the BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP! THANKS BIG RED! BOB still rules! BOOOOOOOOOOMER SOOOOOOOOOONER!!!!

Desert Sapper
1/3/2008, 07:15 AM
The onside kick broke the game open. We bitch about Bob not taking enough chances. He does. It kicks our ***. If Hartley had kicked it instead of dribbled it down the field...

I feel as sick as everybody else, but hey, **** happens.

WV wanted it more, and they ripped it away with everything they had.

Losing 4 straight BCS games is going to make it pretty hard to deal with people at the water cooler for at least another year.

This team accomplished a lot this year. With a freshman QB. 41st conference championship against a Mizzou team that deserved a BCS slot. 11 wins again, despite dropping some games to lesser opponents (and one very worthy one tonight).

I'm disappointed and a little angry, but I don't want anybody else leading these Sooners.

hack
1/3/2008, 07:30 AM
in soviet russia, couch burns you!

Rogue
1/3/2008, 07:40 AM
Pizzing and moaning and general negativity here in one tidy thread.
No need to start a new thread to tell us how you forgot more about football than Coach Stoops will ever know.

I'll spek the mod who merges the other BS threads :bsmf: here! ;)

Vaevictis
1/3/2008, 07:43 AM
We shoulda been running at least the entire first quarter and wearing them down and then went to play action sometime in the 2nd quarter.

IIRC, we started with three runs, first down. Next six plays, obvious passes and two punts. I was swearing about no play action because they were selling out to stop the run when we were in run formation.

Vaevictis
1/3/2008, 07:48 AM
Onside kick so early in the game? Brilliant!

Are you kidding me? WVU was caught with its pants down on that play. If Hartley hadn't botched the kick, odds are good we would have recovered it.

The real killers in this game were:
1. Defensive screw-ups.
2. IMO, some bad offensive play calling early. First three plays, all running. Net result, 1 first down. Next six plays, passes (iirc, single back and shotgun formations), net result 2 punts. I don't think there was a single play action until the second half.

Redgiant2
1/3/2008, 07:52 AM
do you remember the kstate fiasco of 2003? you kind of had a replay of that tonight. they found a personnel matchup they could exploit and they exploited the crap out of it. when the players that routinely lose discipline started to cheat from their assignments to help, they exploited that over the top. as soon as i saw the personnel grouping in question enter the game, i knew what was coming, but you still hope for the best.

as for the offense, well - you gameplan for a freshman QB to win the game on the road and well, it hasn't exactly worked so hot the other 2 times this year either.

Buy that man a cigar. The defense is an undisciplined mess that cares more about their goofy haircuts than they do about carrying out their assignments. I've said it all year long. This is a habit and it's not going to change as long as the current staff remains intact. How long are they going to be allowed to live on hype? How long is Stoops going to **** in our pockets and tell us it's raining? The problems are the same year in and year out and he has so far refused to do one damn thing about it. For the money he's being paid he needs to feel a little heat from somewhere because he's not gonna do anything about it until he does.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/3/2008, 08:02 AM
They related to Mssrs. Padfoot, Wormtail, Prongs, and Moony?....if so they should have made a better map...

sooner-n-ga
1/3/2008, 08:07 AM
that OU could have beaten last night. Maybe Hawaii, but then again probably not due to us missing both corners.

Can you say "over-rated" ???? And to think Stoops was lobbying for the sooners to play for it all after the big 12 championship, if WV beats us by 20 what do you think Ohio State or LSU would do to us ?

Eielson
1/3/2008, 08:13 AM
Lose by 10?

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 08:30 AM
I'm only bumping this because it's better than what I still feel like posting this morning......:(

Redgiant2
1/3/2008, 08:33 AM
After watching so many years of **** poor defense I have to agree, I am no longer shocked by such losses. As long as things remain the way they currently are this is going to be a yearly occurrence. Athleticism can only carry you so far. Sooner or later non-existent fundamentals and a team wide lack of discipline will bite you right in the arse.

olevetonahill
1/3/2008, 08:34 AM
I'm only bumping this because it's better than what I still feel like posting this morning......:(
Im gonna axed you a ? ok ?

Are you a Sooner ?

NS5
1/3/2008, 08:37 AM
LoyalFan. I can imagine that not even a 10# on the end of your line would make you feel any better. BTW, haven't you done enough reching over the
past month?

oudivesherpa
1/3/2008, 08:49 AM
I don't want any Neg Spk, so I'm not going to read the paper!

otis
1/3/2008, 08:56 AM
give nearly any team in the country a month and they kick our butts. ive got to believe that is because of coaching.

sooner-n-ga
1/3/2008, 09:12 AM
coupled with last years loss in the fiesta and they fact that the teams (Okla. State, Texas, Texas Tech, USC, Missouri, Michigan) we recruit mostly against all winning their bowl games, it will show when the kids sign the dotted line next month. These prospect will be getting calls from other coaches soon asking them " do you want to lose by 20 on national TV or win your bowl games ?"

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the offishul thread. I'll recount what you probably already know...

With five starters out - three on defense - you don't try an onside kick against a team with Pat White at QB.

The two-point play was highly questionable with 1.5 quarters remaining. But, then, to follow by giving Pat White & Co. the ball at the 38...stupid.

Also, again, far too many penalties. We can get away with it in the Big 12, which has been nothing but the Big 2 (Oklahoma and Texas) since 2002. But, against a legitimate national title contender, no way.

There were too many stupid penalties in the Big 12 Championship Game and far too many last night.

I'm as sick as anyone that Stoops is now losing big games, but I don't think he needs to go. With five key guys out, you're bound to slip some. Covering for a guy here or there, a team can do. But, five?

That's why Stoops & Co. needed to play it smarter strategy-wise and have the O-line's mindset wired tighter.

SoonerTony
1/3/2008, 09:17 AM
Uh, yeah do you want to go to no where bowl or would you like to win your confrence and go to a BCS game. Yep, that really hurts recruiting.

Way to think that one out.

Sooner_Bob
1/3/2008, 09:18 AM
If that didn't at least make you crack a smile you've got issues.

If you dwell on it you'll go nuts. It won't hurt to laugh just a little.

SwitzerFan
1/3/2008, 09:20 AM
Agreed! Boomer Sooner!

TXBOOMER
1/3/2008, 09:23 AM
BoomerSooner28's avatar=THE QUEEN! The End!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2008, 09:27 AM
Are you kidding me? WVU was caught with its pants down on that play. If Hartley hadn't botched the kick, odds are good we would have recovered it.

The real killers in this game were:
1. Defensive screw-ups.
2. IMO, some bad offensive play calling early. First three plays, all running. Net result, 1 first down. Next six plays, passes (iirc, single back and shotgun formations), net result 2 punts. I don't think there was a single play action until the second half.

Agreed. If Hartley gets the ball another 2 yards we almost certainly recover it. As it was it did kill our momentum.

On the other hand...lets be honest...we got our azzes kicked. WV gambled the whole game with run blitzes but it seemed like 2/3 of the time they were the right guesses. Almost like they knew what play we were going to run........hmmmm.

Something about recent Sooner teams in general and this team in particular. When the team feels slighted, is being played up as an underdog, whatever it takes to get a chip on the players shoulders, they play well. CCG game case in point.

Generally speaking though this team doesn't respond well to being a clear favorite or having too much success.

I'm less angry than most I guess. Most of frustration came out after the TT game where we blew our shot at the NC game. It is getting a little old getting beat in bowl games 4 of the last 5 years. Like it or not it is something that the coaching staff and the returning players will need to address.

toast
1/3/2008, 09:31 AM
Hopefully, everyone will get it out of their system and move on. Obviously, we are severely disappointed and left with another long off-season on a losing note. Are there some issues needing to be dealt with? You bet. Will they? I don't know. But overall we have one of the top programs in college football and there are a ton of schools looking up at us.

SoonerSince72
1/3/2008, 09:33 AM
I think we need a co coordinator on D...Brent should stay, but we need someone very firy and savvy to help him out. I don't think it's so much the loss of Mike as it is the lack of a replacement. We need two guys keeping each other in check and contributing ideas and film time.

BINGO!

First of all, Stoops remains one of the elite coaches in the game and I don't see that anyone else is any better, but it seems like there is something that is keeping him from dealing with Venable's and Bobby Jack's limitations with the D.

IMO, Bob needs to shake up the defensive coaches. When Bob first got here until Mike left, our D was scary good. Now, its the laughing stock of the BCS. Our D has given up over 40 points in each of the last three BCS games, all since Mike's departure. I agree that Venables should potentially be kept on as a Co D coordinator but obviously, he is not able to get it done when it counts and some additional help is needed.

Twenty-eight points should be enough to win any game if your D is prepared. Not that Kevin Wilson doesnt deserve some blame for that horrific crap play calling in the first half but when your team is mounting a comeback and the D gives up 21 points, 14 of which on two big plays during this time, thats not the offenses fault. I also would like to see a change be made with Bobby Jack, our secondary has been so inconsistent for the past few years that its time for a change there as well, maybe more so then a change with Venables. So, either Bob needs to step up and do what needs to be done to "right the ship" or Joe C. does by telling Bob, hey, wake up your coaching staff!

Simply, there is a MAJOR Coaching issue when you have so much talent and such lackluster execution causing losses which should have been wins.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2008, 09:36 AM
coupled with last years loss in the fiesta and they fact that the teams (Okla. State, Texas, Texas Tech, USC, Missouri, Michigan) we recruit mostly against all winning their bowl games, it will show when the kids sign the dotted line next month. These prospect will be getting calls from other coaches soon asking them " do you want to lose by 20 on national TV or win your bowl games ?"

Took some time away from your horsecollar fetish time this morning?:rolleyes:

Last nights game probably will have minimal effect on our recruiting class. You think Colorado is putting together such a good recruiting class this year because they almost beat Alabama? Last night it was pointed out that (albeit due to injury) OU didn't have great depth at WR. That is MORE likely to get someone like Julio Jones to look at OU.

Sure Gary Pinkel is going to get recruits to choose MU over OU because OU lost in a BCS game. Never mind the back-to-back conference titles or the 2 head-to-head *** kickings.

sortiz1965
1/3/2008, 09:41 AM
What bothers me about this game is not so much the X's and O's, but the alarming lack of fire in these players. When the camera panned over the OU sideline when the game finally got out of hand, the players simply didn't look that upset!! And when Stoops was screaming at Trent(?) Williams over that boneheaded personal foul, the kid didn't look all that interested in what Stoops had to say. Add the fact that Granger got pinched for shoplifting a few days before, and it all points to a systemic lack of control over the team. And folks, that falls squarely on the coaching staff's shoulders.

PhiDeltBeers
1/3/2008, 09:41 AM
I honestly wish these games didn't upset me so much. I found myself apologizing to my guests last night for slipping foul language. I never even use foul language! We are one of the premier college football teams, however, we're like the Buffalo Bills of the 90's. We're a bunch of chokers. I guess I should get so bent out of shape on something I can't control, but I'm still in a bad mood this morning.

olevetonahill
1/3/2008, 09:43 AM
Took some time away from your horsecollar fetish time this morning?:rolleyes:

Last nights game probably will have minimal effect on our recruiting class. You think Colorado is putting together such a good recruiting class this year because they almost beat Alabama? Last night it was pointed out that (albeit due to injury) OU didn't have great depth at WR. That is MORE likely to get someone like Julio Jones to look at OU.

Sure Gary Pinkel is going to get recruits to choose MU over OU because OU lost in a BCS game. Never mind the back-to-back conference titles or the 2 head-to-head *** kickings.

I wish you hadnt quoted that idjit !
I put him On iggy
Boomer:D ;)

1stTimeCaller
1/3/2008, 09:44 AM
I think NickZepplin made the same type of prediction a few years ago.

Sooner_Bob
1/3/2008, 09:44 AM
People put way too much stock in bowl games as a measure of a team's entire season.

Sure it sucks that OU got beat, but it should not take away from the entire season as a whole.

In fact, it may cause some undecided recruit to think that hey, I think I could've help OU against WVU. Maybe I'll consider talking to Coach Stoops and his staff and see if there's a place for me in their system.

Unintended consequences aren't always bad.

Dr. Jelly Finger
1/3/2008, 09:45 AM
Is it the coaches or the players? I am inclined to believe that it is the coaches, save a shoplifter and a dunce.

How can a coaching staff have a team so completely unprepared for a very straight forward attack? WVU could not throw the ball at all (save one fluke play) which is exactly what all of us expected. What we did not expect was the Mountaineers to be able to run through the Oklahoma defense like a junior high hallway on the last day of school.

3rd and 1 in the second half, and not only can we not stop a toss sweep...... no one can get a hand on Devine and he scores. On a toss sweep. On 3rd and 1. Who could have seen that one coming? Oh, and who had any idea that Pat White would scramble on third down after we lose contain? A hundred f'ing times. Another shocking revelation.

Let's not even begin to talk about the pathetic excuse for an offensive line last night. We couldn't run with any regularity, holding and procedure calls all over the place and someone was in Sam's mush damn near all night. How is it even possible that we were not able to adjust to a new defensive scheme after having 32 days to prepare for it? Well done, Mr. Wilson. Well done indeed.

On a bright note, Chaney had his coming out party last night. I believe that he is just a Junior which is good news for us. On a not so bright note, Malcolm couldn't rub enough dirt on whatever his ailment was to help us out for the second straight Fiesta Bowl. Disappointing to say the least.

As ****ed as I am about our ineptitude in teh Bowls, it is nice to only have a couple of things that need to be fixed with your program. Clearly we have been very successful in Conference play and have been extremely successful in CCG's. However, we will NOT win a MNC anytime soon unless this staff figures out how to prepare a team for post season play.

wishbonesooner
1/3/2008, 09:46 AM
Stoops will NOT fire Brent Venables. It ain't gonna happen. He'll stick with him until he leaves for another job or our program goes down the tubes, but he won't fire his friend.

Rocker
1/3/2008, 09:47 AM
Has your coach run off to another school? Have you suffered a disappointing loss? Or do you just need a happy ending to that Cinderella season? We can help!

YOU can be the next team to experience the uplifting, healing power of defeating "National Powerhouse" Oklahoma University on the national stage in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

Dial 1 (800) BCS-BUST

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

TXBOOMER
1/3/2008, 09:54 AM

Well said. LMAO:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PhiDeltBeers
1/3/2008, 09:56 AM
Is it the coaches or the players? I am inclined to believe that it is the coaches, save a shoplifter and a dunce.

How can a coaching staff have a team so completely unprepared for a very straight forward attack? WVU could not throw the ball at all (save one fluke play) which is exactly what all of us expected. What we did not expect was the Mountaineers to be able to run through the Oklahoma defense like a junior high hallway on the last day of school.

3rd and 1 in the second half, and not only can we not stop a toss sweep...... no one can get a hand on Devine and he scores. On a toss sweep. On 3rd and 1. Who could have seen that one coming? Oh, and who had any idea that Pat White would scramble on third down after we lose contain? A hundred f'ing times. Another shocking revelation.

Let's not even begin to talk about the pathetic excuse for an offensive line last night. We couldn't run with any regularity, holding and procedure calls all over the place and someone was in Sam's mush damn near all night. How is it even possible that we were not able to adjust to a new defensive scheme after having 32 days to prepare for it? Well done, Mr. Wilson. Well done indeed.

On a bright note, Chaney had his coming out party last night. I believe that he is just a Junior which is good news for us. On a not so bright note, Malcolm couldn't rub enough dirt on whatever his ailment was to help us out for the second straight Fiesta Bowl. Disappointing to say the least.

As ****ed as I am about our ineptitude in teh Bowls, it is nice to only have a couple of things that need to be fixed with your program. Clearly we have been very successful in Conference play and have been extremely successful in CCG's. However, we will NOT win a MNC anytime soon unless this staff figures out how to prepare a team for post season play.

and everything he said.

Rocker
1/3/2008, 09:57 AM

I can see you do ALL THE THINKING for OU"s recuits.

TexasLidig8r
1/3/2008, 09:59 AM
Dude.. the band.. make it stop.

Moutaineer fan seen picking his nose... "boomer sooner.. boomer sooner.. etc."

OU incomplete pass.... "boomer sooner.. boomer sooner.. etc."

TV timeout... "boomer sooner.. boomer sooner.. etc."

OU pom girl kicks leg in air.. 'boomer sooner.. boomer sooner.. etc."

WVU scores.. "boomer sooner... boomer sooner.. etc."

Someone counted 32 "boomer sooner.. boomer sooner, etc." in the 4th quarter alone!

Enough.

badger
1/3/2008, 09:59 AM
Whew! First comment after awfully short night...

Demarco Murray and Gerald McCoy didn't cancel their Sooner reservations after a certain Orange Bowl two years ago. I don't expect other recruits to act any differently.

We have some big ol' holes to fill with new recruits (you know, the ones WVU ran through to easy touchdowns? THOSE holes??? Yeah...), especially in the secondary and offensive freakin' line.

I think any recruit seeing the travesty last night would look at the result and come to the conclusion "Hey, Stoops plays his younger players and doesn't make them sit and wait. They need help at my position. Why go somewhere where I'd have to wait a few years when I want to play now and they're ready to play me?"

So in conclusion... stop drinking the Georgia "we so doomed" water.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 10:00 AM
This has kinda become my stock reply:
Only an idiot would want to see SToops go elsewhere after all he has done, and keeps doig, for OUr program
But...
Most people, like me, are just very frustrated that our great seasons now habitually end with a dreadful and embarrassing show-up on national tv. The Sooners are not chumps, but we play chumps on TV every January.
Is this OK? Acceptable? Above criticism?

Before the game, Bob basically said, "Win or lose, everybody pretty much forgets the bowl game in about a month." I don't like that approach. In this day of 24/7 sports on TV, Radio and Internet, people don't so easily forget going 0-fer a string of BCS Bowls.

Are we a team that now boasts about BCS "appearances"? I hope not!

The Sooners and the University WANT us to devote our hearts and emotions to them, and we do. It's not wrong for us to resent disappointment when we wear our crimson on our sleeves. Yes, defeat come with the territory for any team, but we don't have to accept it glady, especially when it comes like it has for us in recent years.

VMG
1/3/2008, 10:01 AM
I am less upset about the loss than I am disappointed that we once again appeared ill-prepared for the challenge. That's the part that is most difficult to reconcile for me.

IMO, many underestimate the degree to which the intangibles determine a team's success or failure on the field, particularly when teams have similar levels of talent. In each of our losses this year (and the near miss at Ames), this has been a recurrent theme -- we were bested in the intangibles, and most everyone watching sensed it in both the players and the coaches. We can quibble about circumstances, timing of key plays, and the technical details of how things are schemed, but the bottom line is we have played without the passion and hunger to win that all our really great teams of the past have displayed. This year and in recent OU history, this has been most apparent on the road. Road games are tougher for everyone, but the effect of being away from the familiarity, comfort and routine of a home game seems more pronounced on our team than it does others -- it shows up in the intangibles that define our performance. Last night is but one more case in point.

My first hope is that Coach Stoops takes the time to talk and listen to those whom he considers mentors. I would also hope that he takes a look in the mirror and reminds himself of words he himself has expressed from time to time -- we are not entitled to win because we are "Oklahoma." In fact, we will almost always get everyone's best shot because we are...

RoaminSooner
1/3/2008, 10:02 AM
The team that played in AZ last night wasn't the team that played in San Antonio

ADs_Agent
1/3/2008, 10:06 AM
If OU loses the Rose anytime under Stoops, they will have lost at all BCS venues. I love this team, but they broke my heart.

LoyalFan
1/3/2008, 10:07 AM
loyal the only problem i have with your post (although I agree with everyone you critcized) is what would you have done if we recovered the onside kick? you would have came in your pants just like everyone else on this board. and we would have had all of the momentum and been sitting on the 50 down 5 points. just sayin.

Errrrr...wellll...au contraire, mon frere! Thanks to a course of study and practical exercises under the tutelage of a neighbor lady (she 34 to my 16 when we met,) "early arrivals", in trousers or out, have not been an issue.
God rest your soul, Mrs. K.

'sides, has such an unscheduled event taken place, the delightful and rather moist morsel perched to starboard on the couch would have uttered a yelp of dismay and castigated me thoroughly before leaving in a *snit ('tho she drove over in a Toyota.) Being of only recent acquaintance, she might not be aware of my amazing brief refractory interval.

*Not to be confused with the "Snyt", a small and poorly-built "peoples car" once produced in the former Okrapistan Republic. This car was a rip-off of an earlier German design, never produced, to be called a "Huff".

LF

badger
1/3/2008, 10:08 AM
Dude.. the band.. make it stop.

Moutaineer fan seen picking his nose... "boomer sooner.. boomer sooner.. etc."

OU incomplete pass.... "boomer sooner.. boomer sooner.. etc."

TV timeout... "boomer sooner.. boomer sooner.. etc."

OU pom girl kicks leg in air.. 'boomer sooner.. boomer sooner.. etc."

WVU scores.. "boomer sooner... boomer sooner.. etc."

Someone counted 32 "boomer sooner.. boomer sooner, etc." in the 4th quarter alone!

Enough.
Hey, Lid! How's it going? You ready to basketball bet yet, or would you rather keep your whorn logo up?

Oh, and the band thing. Keep in mind that it is a lot of their last game's as band members (including the dude up front directing), so of course they're going to want to play Boomer a lot.

However, I pitied the rest of them for having to keep that up. Of course you want you encourage your team when you're down to make a comeback and all, who wouldn't, but yeah, they probably played it at inappropriate times, given the circumstances.

The most notorious act of "inappropriate cheering by university group" was not, in fact, the infamous USC songbird who cheered after you guys scored on them at the Rose Bowl. It was, in fact, the Pride of Oklahoma playing "That's the way I like it" after an OU touchdown... giving us our 19th and final point in the Orange Bowl against USC. Guess how many points USC had by that time... ok, don't. You already know the answer. Some of us were so angry that the outgoing drum major called for that song that we refused to play.

There was a comic that perfectly illustrates how most band members probably felt at that time, having to play Boomer despite all the easy WVU touchdowns... ah, here it is:
http://talesfrombandcamp.com/cgi-bin/tfbcarchive.cgi?date=19970114

Oh well. Boomer Sooner, anyways. Now as soon as I get home from work, I'm going to continue taunting you into basketball betting... and changing my avatar :D

LoyalFan
1/3/2008, 10:12 AM
They related to Mssrs. Padfoot, Wormtail, Prongs, and Moony?....if so they should have made a better map...

Orc,orc! Dat's funny right dere!

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2008, 10:15 AM
This has kinda become my stock reply:

Are we a team that now boasts about BCS "appearances"? I hope not!

This goes hand in hand with my contention that the Big 12 has devolved into really nothing more than the Big 2 - Oklahoma and Texas. We go to BCS bowl games because of a contract signed years beforehand by people who are not players or coaches. It's why 9-3 teams go to BCS games. It's all negotiated based on conferences.

Our conference sucks. Some of you deny it. But, seriously, are you really impressed with the 2007 Big 12? The 2006 Big 12? The 2005 Big 12? 2004? 2003? Really.

Seriously. Besides OU and Texas, has any other team really been worth a damn at all on a consistent basis? Not really. It's a conference with two great teams, a bunch of mediocre teams, and a couple of bad teams.

Our conference is so crappy that I predict Baylor will be in a bowl game next season with their new coach, or at least no later than 2009.

Dr. Jelly Finger
1/3/2008, 10:17 AM
If some doosh is going to neg me for my post, at least have the stones to sign it.

LoyalFan
1/3/2008, 10:18 AM
LoyalFan. I can imagine that not even a 10# on the end of your line would make you feel any better. BTW, haven't you done enough reching over the
past month?

Russ, I've nevAr caught a 10 ('cept the occasional human female variety, and damned rarely at that!) Best Largemouth was 8.4 but WAS caught on light fly tackle whilst in pursuit of the wily Bluegill.
Of course, catching a 10 would "save a wretch like me".
Last Sat. I did catch two nice Smallies at Canyon Lake (TX). One fell for a 5" Senko I'd skip-cast under a tree in about 15' of coooooooool waterrrrrrrrr, the other munched a large-sized Rebel Crawdad crankbait.

Cheers, buddy, and Happy New Year.

LF

PS: Retching wasn't (Thank God) part of the dealio when I was sick. Just coughing to the point of nearly breaking ribs.

jagwelborn
1/3/2008, 10:24 AM
If OU loses the Rose anytime under Stoops, they will have lost at all BCS venues. I love this team, but they broke my heart.

I don't know the answer to this, but how many coaches have had the opportunity to play in all the BCS venues? Stoops has taken teams to them all, right? Look on the bright side so your heart can start to heal. :)

CtheB
1/3/2008, 10:25 AM
I think a nerve may have been hit....Stoops post-game (paraphrased): "I think I need to do some things differently as the head coach."

As worn-out, tired and generally pi$$ed off as we are, a proud man and head football coach like Stoops isn't going to roll over and accept what's current.

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2008, 10:27 AM
Dr. Jelly,
The neg-speking ******s rarely sign. They say "become a sponsor." Basically, pay to find out who neg-speked you.

People who pay to see who neg-speked them...it's ripe for a Dr. Phil episode.

PhiDeltBeers
1/3/2008, 10:28 AM
If some doosh is going to neg me for my post, at least have the stones to sign it.

Yeah, I got negged too. It takes a man to negg and not leave a name. He must be 40.

wishbonesooner
1/3/2008, 10:29 AM
I think that's great for him to say, but it's odd that it takes the same thing happening four times in a row for Bob to come to that conclusion. I know he's a proud man, and maybe stubborn to boot. Bob is at a crossroad, we'll see which road he takes.

Dio
1/3/2008, 10:30 AM
No need to start a new thread to tell us how you forgot more about football than Coach Stoops will ever know.

Stoops has forgotten more about coaching football than I will ever know; unfortunately, everything he's forgotten seems to involve bowl preparation.

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2008, 10:31 AM
A few weeks ago, Switzer was raving about WVU offense. Stoops should have looked over some game film with The King.

badger
1/3/2008, 10:32 AM
Haha, nobody negged me! Must be that intimidating sponsor star. "Oh noes!!1! It's teh sponsor star! They r teh *****z abowterz in neg spekkin!"

On second thought... who gives an Iraqi Shiite Muslim. I think there are more important issues at hand... LIKE TOUCHDOWN TIGHT END! WHOOPIEEEEE!!!! :D:D:D

:mad:

Dr. Jelly Finger
1/3/2008, 10:32 AM
Dr. Jelly,
The neg-speking ******s rarely sign. They say "become a sponsor." Basically, pay to find out who neg-speked you.

People who pay to see who neg-speked them...it's ripe for a Dr. Phil episode.

Thanks TDTW. I guess I will go grab a credit card........... to pay for my jacket.

soonerlaw
1/3/2008, 10:33 AM
Pretty much sums it up for me...

''Oklahoma's a great team,'' Pat White said. ''I think we were just a little bit hungrier than they were.''

badger
1/3/2008, 10:35 AM
OOO! OOO! I can think of one! It's the one that the Sooners and ONLY the Sooners can beat!

And it's name is Mizzou.

(cue Mizz fan yelling "stfu" at computer screen in 5...4...)

SoonerinSouthlake
1/3/2008, 10:38 AM
Stoops has forgotten more about coaching football than I will ever know; unfortunately, everything he's forgotten seems to involve bowl preparation.

now thats funny

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2008, 10:40 AM
I think he just wanted to give the gay perspective.

Curly Bill
I think we did so poorly because as a team we are opposed to the BCS in principal and was lobbying for a playoff...where we would have done much better. :D

meoveryouxinfinity
yeahhh BASKETBALL SEASON!! I can't wait to see Blake Griffin light us the scoreboard.

NDN_Soonerfan
1/3/2008, 10:41 AM
After last night's performance Stoops needs to seriously look at his coaches, especially the Defensive Coordinator, because there were numerous times players were out of position or trying to tackle (which was horrendous). Literally they made an above average West Virginia team look like National Title contenders, however i still have faith in Stoops but its declining.

McSoonerDad
1/3/2008, 10:44 AM
I agree with Pat White except I wouldn't mention "great" to loud. Good at best.

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks. That's how it was meant. If I didn't laugh, I'd cry.

The_Red_Patriot
1/3/2008, 10:47 AM
I love Bob and the staffs he puts together but we have only won convincingly one time in a bowl game under Bob and that was against WSU in the Rose Bowl. On offense it seems we always play vanilla and forget what got us there. Even against FSU in the Orange bowl we did this.

Whats up with our identity crisis on offense?

Why were we in shotgun/spread formation inside the 5 yd line a couple times last night? Were not Tech, were not Missouri.....we can ran ball or hell, dial up our PA pass and hit one of TE's in the end zone...it has worked all year on those situations.

The onside kick was a good call. If OU recovers, the momentum explodes in OU's favor. Its one of those calls that if you get it, your a genius and if you don't your an idiot.

Then the defense.......WV's speed and line just tore us a new one.

We couldn’t play a complete game.

1st half---Offense was uhhhh, who were they again? and our defense played okay without any help from the offense.

2nd half----Just flip those two. Our offense started rolling, our defense couldn’t stop them at all

Im not calling for coach’s heads....maybe they need to make some changes in their bowl preparations because this is simply not getting the job done.

Yea, we won the big 12 again but is that enough?

Mixer!
1/3/2008, 10:50 AM
In this day of 24/7 sports on TV, Radio and Internet, people don't so easily forget going 0-fer a string of BCS Bowls.
*insert the ad nauseam "Boise State has done it!" mediaclips here.*

I don't disagree with you, but I'm ready to move on.

IGotNoTiming
1/3/2008, 10:54 AM
"ducking"

While I love Barry... I was a freshman his last year there and followed the sooners from the earliest years.... remember Barry was responsible for the unravelling of the program that he built up. It took us 10 years to crawl out of the swamp from the the quagmire of the late 80's. Bob Stoops I have to believe... values playing by the rules. He has shown time and time again that he will deal appropriately when players get too big for their britches....

I guess I am due for my first negging but I would rather have Bob who wins above the board than a coach who looked the other way when his program began unravelling......

It's okay I am wearing a flak jacket....

UTgolfer
1/3/2008, 11:01 AM
As much as it pains me at times to admit, I was rooting for OU last night for the sake of the reputation of the Big 12.

Admittedly I don't know that much about OU's scheme or personnel...so was last night's loss due to coaching (ie, bad formations, play calling), lack of effort (ie, another form of bad coaching perhaps), poor play (ie, penalites), lack of personnel (ie, injuries and suspensions) or other?

From my living room WVU looked really quick, which they are, and OU looked lethargic...something that never seems to happen against UT. Kelly's replacement had a career night so not sure that explains it. And don't recall seeing Bradford under pressure earlier in the year like he was last night.

Not trying to pour salt in the wound but curious for an objective opinion.

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 11:05 AM
Yea, we won the big 12 again but is that enough?

Just winning the Big 12 is not good enough anymore if you ask me. I actually think thats parts of the problem too. Everyone on staff seems to be content with just winning conf. Its a good accomplishment but someone needs to remind the staff that the season is not over until AFTER THE BOWL GAME!!!!!!

SOONER STEAKER
1/3/2008, 11:11 AM
Today I woke up with a terrible hangover. It looked to like our team played with a hangove last night. I'm not ****ed at any cach or player. I just expected more from our players. We may have been outplayed and out quicked, but that was not Oklahoma football.

I'm not gonna bitch or complain, I just want our team to play better next year.

Does anyone have any Tylenol? Not just for me, but for our beloved team.

SOONER FOOTBALL FAN FOR LIFE!!

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 11:15 AM
I just want our team to play better next year.

Not picking on you Steaker but this is another thing I'm tired of hearing and saying!!!

McSoonerDad
1/3/2008, 11:44 AM
Winning the Big 12 shouldnt be enough but at least show up for a bowl game. You cant win every year but you can show up and be competitive. I think half the team was at Grangers apt. watching the game because I didnt see very many players there wanting to fight for the win. Absoulutly no fire in their bellies. unlike the early Stoops teams that would scatch and claw to get a will or die trying. What a shame. I hope they fun had though. Maybe next year they will be on a mission instead of a sight seeing tour. :pop:

LittleWingSooner
1/3/2008, 11:56 AM
Winning the Big 12 shouldnt be enough but at least show up for a bowl game. You cant win every year but you can show up and be competitive. I think half the team was at Grangers apt. watching the game because I didnt see very many players there wanting to fight for the win. Absoulutly no fire in their bellies. unlike the early Stoops teams that would scatch and claw to get a will or die trying. What a shame. I hope they fun had though. Maybe next year they will be on a mission instead of a sight seeing tour. :pop:

I agree and we certainly should be more beating teams like a WVU this year and a Boise last year. Remember we were down 28-10 against Boise last year. We got lucky to come back and take the lead in that one.

We can't continue to look like this in big Bowl games. It makes it obvious we have a coaching issue. Every year we are out schemed in by these teams. The only bowl game where we really dominated was the Washington State game in 2003. 2001 OB we dominated on defense but our offense wasn't that great.

I'm sorry the mistakes we have made in these bowl games are coaching first. We need to make changes there before we ever think about winning a BCS Bowl again. Our schemes aren't sound against this level of competition. If Bill Stewart can out coach Bob Stoops anyone can.

TMcGee86
1/3/2008, 12:22 PM

This was the part that bothered me most last night. Why did we not have someone who's sole job it was to spy White all night.

After years of me begging us to blitz when we were up against passing teams, and watching us sit in prevent, and then last night we blitz a team that has little chance of completing a pass, and I am forced to watch as our blitzers run by and White runs for 15-30 yard gains.

Why were we blitzing? Why did we not play contain? Why did we not spy White all night?

Maybe we did, maybe the kids just failed their assignments, but to me the gameplan looked flawed.

There's being agressive (which i like) but then theres playing to a teams strengths. Last night we didn't seem to understand what kind of team we were playing.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 12:35 PM
Why did we not spy White all night?

I think the coaching staff may have underestimated White's skills as a runner. Hell, everyone in this forum did too.

Desert Sapper
1/3/2008, 01:08 PM
I think the coaching staff may have underestimated White's skills as a runner. Hell, everyone in this forum did too.

Their whole team ran over, around, and through us last night, like we were cardboard cutouts.

We couldn't slow down their pass rush early.

We couldn't stop the QB keeper.

We couldn't stop their TB (pick one).

We couldn't stop their FB.

Hell, we couldn't even stop the pass (they dropped a LOT of passes).

On special teams, we made two HUGE mistakes (got lucky on one for the touchback).

I don't know what all that means, but it isn't good. There it is.

picasso
1/3/2008, 01:14 PM
why oh why do we blitz a QB who's only chance of completing a pass is if we do blitz and get man coverage? Thanks and I'll hang up and listen to your answer...

MextheBulldog
1/3/2008, 01:59 PM
why oh why do we blitz a QB who's only chance of completing a pass is if we do blitz and get man coverage? Thanks and I'll hang up and listen to your answer...

I kinda wondered the same thing. It was clear that their passing game was weak. Except when they are wide open.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/3/2008, 04:39 PM
Hi, My name is Bob Stoops, and I can't coach a bowl game or coach my coaches to coach in a bowl game.

stoopified
1/3/2008, 05:26 PM
SH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!T.O k I'm done b!tching.

OU-HSV
1/3/2008, 08:15 PM
Oops, I didn't see this thread originally, so this is what I posted in another thread:

I'll add my thoughts as to why we lost:

(In no particular order) The whole game we were out-coached on both sides of the ball, out-played on both sides of the ball, they were more emotional than our guys/they seemed to want it more from the opening kickoff. We made tons of stupid penalties while playing from behind. Certain returners made bad decisions (as they did all season)...and it seems that other than AP's huge return..when we had decent returns we made dumb penatlies that brought them back. Maybe even some of the distractions played a role, i.e. Kelly, Granger, Murray, Reggie, Holmes all being out.
Bottom line is this everyone. It seems like Wilson lacks creativity, if he makes his mind up that he's running the ball 3 out of 4 plays...then by God he's running the ball 3 out of 4 plays PERIOD. Also, our defense plays inconsistent from week to week, and to me it seems like we came out flat into almost every game this year.
I sure hope the coaches get some sh*t figured out because it is like a bad dream watching this happen frequently.
And I know some of you will say. Who cares...no changes needed...we can keep winning the Big 12 every year and go to a big bowl game and lose every year. But to me, that's not good enough....not as highly rated as our recruiting classes are supposed to be and not as highly regarded as our coaches are. It's just not good enough. Of course we can't win them all....but if someone was to tell me after 2000 that we would play for 2 more national championships, a rose bowl and in 2 fiesta bowls before the year 2009, I would have assumed that we would have at least won 1 of the championships and 1 of the fiesta bowls and say the rose bowl. I mean isn't that a logical thought to have?

Redgiant2
1/4/2008, 01:38 AM
If the coaching staff underestimated Pat White's skillz they don't deserve the jobs they have. And I'll go one better and ask why they didn't even bother teaching containment rules somewhere between stealing coats and failing tests?

Redgiant2
1/4/2008, 01:43 AM

Blitzing is not the problem. Having corners with the fundamentals and discipline of a pee wee football player and defensive ends that lose containment on the backside is.

redblood
1/4/2008, 08:14 AM
I was upset,a bit embarassed mostly,but we are the sooners not some other team that only get's a once in a lifetime oportunity to play in a big game
such as the fiesta bowl.
Our expectations are just greater than those of others,we will be one of the
best teams in the nation again this fall, as we all have come to expect.
Now that the dust has settled, I shall try to resume a normal life.

Jack T.
1/4/2008, 08:37 AM
But I'm not shocked anymore.

I agree. . .and it scares me. We're not Oklahoma State, who has an entire history of losing. We're not an Oregon or Tennessee who are consistently good, but not great, ballclubs.

We are Oklahoma, and the fact that some fans, myself included, are not shocked at losing is quite disturbing.

OUmillenium
1/4/2008, 12:03 PM
ouch...but yeah

LittleWingSooner
1/4/2008, 01:14 PM
I agree. . .and it scares me. We're not Oklahoma State, who has an entire history of losing. We're not an Oregon or Tennessee who are consistently good, but not great, ballclubs.

We are Oklahoma, and the fact that some fans, myself included, are not shocked at losing is quite disturbing.

Yep, some people are thinking this is acceptable for OU. Look we could be worse and have losing seasons. But Oklahoma Football is about winning bowl games. We shouldn't be giving up 40+ in 3 straight BCS games

OklahomaRed
1/4/2008, 03:39 PM

Agreed. We blitz the runner who can't pass, but we drop back into cover 2 and rush 4 down linemen on the guys who can't run but are good passers? Don't understand? ? ? :confused:

dabien
1/4/2008, 03:48 PM
Listen everyone
Brent Venables needs to be fired,
join the facebook group
http://upenn.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8302045814
i am tired of watching poor defensive game planning, lets not ever forget the USC drubbing in the first place, and then even the Oregon game which we were cheated out of a year ago, just poor defensive play calling.
colorado? cody hawkins looked to me as an all-american against us. texas tech? how does missouri man handle them and we make graham harrell think he is dan marino.
lets fire that man once and for all, and hire auburn's DC, we just need somebody who teaches fundamental football!

Soonerus
1/4/2008, 03:56 PM
...anybody else enjoyed this distinction...I did attend the Rose Bowl for one BCS game victory as my consolation...I am still proud of this year's team just find them to be the epitome of enigmatic...at times I really thought we were MNC material but then CU, TT and last but not least WVU....not sure I'll ever understand this team but they won the Big XII and beat Texas so they are OK in my book...

dabien
1/4/2008, 03:59 PM
True, they went above expectations. However, the reason they did is because of the quarterback play of Sam Bradford. All analysts and we knew that OU defense should have been tops in the nation with the talent we have. Man we freak'n have Reggie Smith who dominates the whole side of his field, the best corner in the nation.
however we still had losses to CU, and TT and played terribly against Iowa State,
facts are facts. Brent Venables must go

Soonerus
1/4/2008, 04:00 PM
Defense sure looked special in the Big XII Championship game...

OKLA21FAN
1/4/2008, 04:01 PM
Brent Venables must go

and they're off!!!!! :pop:

dabien
1/4/2008, 04:04 PM
Defense sure looked special in the Big XII Championship game...
You know why it looked special?
OU dominated the line of scrimmage, it was not the coaching. Missouri also was missing their TE that game. The other time OU played them they were missing temple. Injuries make a big difference, never the less, Missouri to me is not a top 5 team in the nation anyways. OU should have beaten them easily.
I am just saying, OU has around 5-6 potential first round picks on that defense, and they cannot let these second-tier teams score points, and not let the nation's elite whoops on us year in year out.

ruf/nekdad
1/4/2008, 04:06 PM
Hang em all. Then burn em. Then nuke their houses.

OKLA21FAN
1/4/2008, 04:06 PM
Injuries make a big difference,

and he stumbles and losses stride in turn one! :pop:

More_Cowbell
1/4/2008, 04:07 PM
Maybe my lack of attendance to the past 4 BCS games is the problem.

The only BCS bowl game I've been to was the 2003 Rose Bowl.

BermudaSooner
1/4/2008, 04:08 PM
...anybody else enjoyed this distinction...I did attend the Rose Bowl for one BCS game victory as my consolation...I am still proud of this year's team just find them to be the epitome of enigmatic...at times I really thought we were MNC material but then CU, TT and last but not least WVU....not sure I'll ever understand this team but they won the Big XII and beat Texas so they are OK in my book...

I missed last year's Boise game, but was at the others. I feel your pain man.

This was the first one I drove to--that was a long 14 hour drive back to OKC yesterday.

adoniijahsooner
1/4/2008, 04:09 PM
The big Finished 5-3 in bowl games this year, but we were the only team that was blown out. This bothers me to no end.

swardboy
1/4/2008, 04:13 PM
Two aspirin....plenty of fluids....bedrest....the sun'll come out TOMORROW.

MextheBulldog
1/4/2008, 04:13 PM
You know why it looked special?
OU dominated the line of scrimmage, it was not the coaching. Missouri also was missing their TE that game. The other time OU played them they were missing temple. Injuries make a big difference, never the less, Missouri to me is not a top 5 team in the nation anyways. OU should have beaten them easily.
I am just saying, OU has around 5-6 potential first round picks on that defense, and they cannot let these second-tier teams score points, and not let the nation's elite whoops on us year in year out.

Cannot.....resist.....

Mizzou beat everyone they played, except for OU. This includes a severe beatdown of Arkansas and a victory over Illinois and KU. Two teams who beat the other two teams playing for the title. KU beat the ACC champ. So maybe Mizzou is not top 5 material, but they are clearly a very good team.

The rest of your statement makes no sense.

dabien
1/4/2008, 04:16 PM
Cannot.....resist.....

Mizzou beat everyone they played, except for OU. This includes a severe beatdown of Arkansas and a victory over Illinois and KU. Two teams who beat the other two teams playing for the title. KU beat the ACC champ. So maybe Mizzou is not top 5 material, but they are clearly a very good team.

The rest of your statement makes no sense.

I am sorry, second-tier teams I am meaning Colorado and TTech this year. Oregon last year. Who can forget years before that TCU, UCLA, lets not forget all this trauma caused by our defense. The secondary has always been the weakpoint of OU, and Brent Venables is unfit for the job. I admit, Missouri is top 12 team, but I still believe USC, LSU, OU, OSU, WVU Georgia and others are still better. Sorry for being unclear

Tear Down This Wall
1/4/2008, 04:19 PM
People, it looked special in the Big 12 Championship game because Reggie Smith, Demarcus Granger, and Lendy Holmes were playing.

It's really no more complicated than that.

So, suck on it.

OKLA21FAN
1/4/2008, 04:23 PM
The secondary has always been the weakpoint of OU, and Brent Venables is unfit for the job.
and on the back stretch he pulls up lame

someone put that horse out of it's misery!!! :pop:

Octavian
1/4/2008, 04:50 PM
I've been to all 4 BCS losses. This one was the worst.

At least with LSU and USC, we could say we lost in the Championship Game. With Boise, it was just a miraculous game.

But this was just a hungry team vs. a team that didn't care.

Our leaders were Malcolm Kelly and DeMarcus Granger....we pretty much wimped out and embarrassed ourselves on and off the field.

StuMondo
1/4/2008, 04:53 PM
the weakest link is the conference champs?

wth are you smoking?

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2008, 05:35 PM
OU had the toughest opponent - which it should have as the conference champ. But grading relative performances, yeah we were the laggards.

My grades for performance:
1) Kansas - great game plan and execution against 2nd toughest opponent
2) Mizzou - should have blown out the hogs and did
3) Texas - exposed an over-rated ASU, but played sloppy at times
4) Pokes - I'm guessing as I don't get NFLnet, but should have blown out IU
5) TT - looked flat until UVA QB got nicked up, but pulled off the come-back
6) aTm - I thought they would get blown out, but put up a good fight
7) CU - Didn't start playing until down 27-0, but at least didn't give up
8) OU - just read this forum :(

hink4769
1/4/2008, 05:38 PM
I bet all those teams except Kansas would gladly trade with OU for a conference championship.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2008, 05:48 PM
I bet all those teams except Kansas would gladly trade with OU for a conference championship.

I'm sure Kansas would trade too, but that's not the point. Grouping by conference is pretty random here, but in this group of 8 teams, OU performed the worst relative to the ability of their team and the strength of their opponent. And it's just my opinion, but I doubt the homeyist OU homer would put them high on that list. If it happens 1 year, it's a fluke, but...

sooner518
1/4/2008, 07:24 PM
People, it looked special in the Big 12 Championship game because Reggie Smith, Demarcus Granger, and Lendy Holmes were playing.

It's really no more complicated than that.

So, suck on it.
So were Auston English and Nic Harris. (significantly at least. I know they both got in the Fiesta Bowl, but were obviously not at full speed)

85sooners
1/4/2008, 07:25 PM
:mad: yeah i have been to all the losses.......i swear up and down walking out of the stadium each year i wont be back:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

dabien
1/4/2008, 07:33 PM
:mad: yeah i have been to all the losses.......i swear up and down walking out of the stadium each year i wont be back:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

once we fire brent venables
i think i will be back!

Football Jim
1/4/2008, 07:53 PM
I am very disappointed about the loss, and the way it happened, but I know that the Sooners will be back. Even during the lean years before Stoops, I knew they would be back.
The Sooners will fight another day, and they will win. I wish it could have been against WVU, but Sooner pride will not let this team continue their bowl troubles, one can hope.

LittleWingSooner
1/4/2008, 08:25 PM
i think i will be back!

The last thing we need is less continuity in our coaching staff. We need to have our coaches look at themselves and man up and get the players to man up. You can't treat any of the players like they've earned anything. They have to earn their way again. If I'm Stoops I tell my team every job is up for grabs and really mean it. Never release any type of depth chart at any point during the preseason or even regular season.

These players aren't playing like they've earned anything in these big situations. They need to actually earn it again. This even goes for positions that are obvious like QB and RB.

OKLA21FAN
1/4/2008, 08:56 PM
i think i will be back!
and the horse lays withering on the backstretch in obvious pain. the training un able to save him from his ultimate demise places the call. an old pick up truck slowly pulls up to the terrible scene. an old man dressed in blue jeans, t-shirt and a weathered St. Louis Browns hat holding a shotguns gingerly exits the truck. he knows what has to be done.

he hesitates for just a moment thinking to himself of what could have been. then raises the gun and finishes the deed. leaving the carcass for a mod to clean up........

its a dirty job, but someone has to do it. :pop:

Desert Sapper
1/4/2008, 09:14 PM
The last thing we need is less continuity in our coaching staff. We need to have our coaches look at themselves and man up and get the players to man up. You can't treat any of the players like they've earned anything. They have to earn their way again. If I'm Stoops I tell my team every job is up for grabs and really mean it. Never release any type of depth chart at any point during the preseason or even regular season.

These players aren't playing like they've earned anything in these big situations. They need to actually earn it again. This even goes for positions that are obvious like QB and RB.
Geez, Nick. I find myself agreeing with you 100% on this. Firing any coaches after an 11-3 Big XII championship season is extreme. The coaches and players need to do some introspection, figure out what to do to make it right, and fight for every bit of it. This team is fighting for respect next year, because everytime it steps on the field, it will be labeled as c-h-o-k-l-a-h-o-m-a until it proves otherwise. Which would mean winning the MNC or a BCS Bowl at the very least.

princetonsooner
1/5/2008, 10:18 AM
Bottom line out coached and outplayed two bowls in a row! Our offense is looking more and more like a traditional Big Ten offense and our speed at LB not what it once was!

SleestakSooner
1/5/2008, 11:04 AM
I am ashamed and appalled that so many of you fell for Nick's pity party neg-fest. You know the world ain't right when a huge majority of "normal" posters are jumping on his band wagon. He lives to stir this **** up and feeds off every whine, bitz, rant, bash and lament.

http://www.untwistedvortex.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/dontfeedthetroll.jpg

No1Better
1/5/2008, 11:19 AM
After the SUC debacle a few years back, I have spent some time watching how they execute, how they play, and summarily what they have acheived. I can't stand SUC, but they do play with one thing that is missing from Sooner football - No fear of making a mistake.

They play with reckless abandon, swagger, and attitude. Are they arrogant, you bet. Are they annoying as all get out, yup. But they play to win and step on that field every Saturday with one message, "we're SUC, and if you want to beat us, you better take it from us". We could learn something from them.

One thing that I saw in the Big 12 title game that I did not see in the Flush Bowl was OU absolutely smashed Mizzou. They were fierce on defense, flawless on offense, and completely annhilated the number one team in the country. In the bowl game, I saw the complete opposite. Bad execution, bad play calling, inconsistent defense, all in all a complete meltdown. This lack of consistency is ridiculous.

Let the kids play, let them go out there and tear apart their opponent. We lost to a mediocre team - again. How many times is this going to happen? Colorado was a late bloomer, Iowa State - give me a break, Tech - they did nothing different than the previous 5000 times we've taken them behind the woodshed. Boise State, WVA, both we're good teams, but not better than the Sooners. No way.

We have the talent, now it's time to live up to the hype and beat everyone. Starting next season, we are 0-0 - this team and those that follow should shoot for not only winning championships, but beating that 47 game win streak. The current team goals are stale and repetitive, but make no mistake, they are great goals and still work, but it's time to add some more. Maybe some additional challenge will enable OU to quit falling down against inferiority and re-establish complete superiority.

Desert Sapper
1/5/2008, 03:09 PM
I am ashamed and appalled that so many of you fell for Nick's pity party neg-fest. You know the world ain't right when a huge majority of "normal" posters are jumping on his band wagon. He lives to stir this **** up and feeds off every whine, bitz, rant, bash and lament.

http://www.untwistedvortex.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/dontfeedthetroll.jpg
Even Nick makes a decent point every now and again. Firing the guys that got us to 11 wins and a conference championship is pretty dense. One game did not make the season. If that was the case, we might as well base it on the CCG, where we completely terminated Mizzou. The same guys were gameplanning and making the calls. A different personnel set and a different type of offense (one that relies on a speedy QB) crushed us, because our players made lots of little mistakes (and a few huge ones) that killed us.

dabien
1/5/2008, 06:21 PM
Even Nick makes a decent point every now and again. Firing the guys that got us to 11 wins and a conference championship is pretty dense. One game did not make the season. If that was the case, we might as well base it on the CCG, where we completely terminated Mizzou. The same guys were gameplanning and making the calls. A different personnel set and a different type of offense (one that relies on a speedy QB) crushed us, because our players made lots of little mistakes (and a few huge ones) that killed us.

uhhhhhhh I have wanted Venables fired ever since the USC debacle. The players are poorly coached. The play on the field decides how well coached the players are, and after so many debacles on defense, especially texas tech, ucla, colorado,
venables needs to be gone. Bobby Jack Wright still has time, he hasn't proven himself to be a loser yet.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2008, 06:33 PM
Trolls are so cute...

SleestakSooner
1/5/2008, 07:06 PM
Bottom line out coached and outplayed two bowls in a row! Our offense is looking more and more like a traditional Big Ten offense and our speed at LB not what it once was!

I don't know what game you were watching... our linebackers were about the only ones playing all out. Especially Lofton, who was all over the field. I don't think I heard English mentioned once on a tackle though.

It hurts to lose of course but all this knee jerking (minus the knees) is beyond ridiculous.

princetonsooner
1/5/2008, 09:06 PM
I did not say that they did not play hard.What I am saying is Rynolds due large to injury and is SLOW!!! Loften is a good tackler but average speed at best. I think Col. & KU are two teams with much better speed at backer than us.