PDA

View Full Version : The Five Ways We Beat Ourselves

KingDavid
1/3/2008, 01:37 AM
1. Stoops calls destroy momentum. When we pulled it to 20-15, we were in control of the game. There was very little up-side to going for two points. And much less to going for the onside kick. That sequence was the back-breaker IMHO. Going for it on 4th down in the first half, in our own territory was questionable, at best.

2. Key missing players: Malcolm Kelly, Auston English (played very little due to flu, leg, etc.), Demarcus Granger, Lendy Holmes, Reggie Smith. This is a huge factor. The late losses of Kelly, and especially Granger's stupidity, had to contribute to the lack of fire we showed in the first half.

3. Penalties. Penalties. Penalties. We shot ourselves in the foot over and over and over.

4. Beaten on the edges. Very surprising to see Loadholt getting routinely abused like that. It looked like something was wrong with him. He was bending at waste and reaching all night.

5. Lack of killer instinct. Despite our pyss poor play in the first half, we STILL had the ball three times near or in the red zone, only to emerge with a paltry two field goals.

My last bytch-and-moan comment: I absolutely HATE giving this type of ammunition to the press: four BCS losses in a row. Pardon me while I gnaw my own arm to a nub at the elbow.

Moving on to greener (Crystal) pastures:

It will take some mental poise and commitment to bury this one and play through the skepticism when we play for the National Championship next year in Miami. BUT I BELIEVE WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND WE WILL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2008, 01:52 AM
Hell yeah!

Boomer Sooner!

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 01:54 AM
Pretty much spot on.

I cannot understand the two-point conversion. That is almost never a good idea unless it looks like that will be the last TD of the game. And the play call was the only one all night that I seriously questioned on offense. That was just ugly.

The onside kick was just abominable. If the other team is outplaying you, then I can understand it. But OU had the momentum and it looked like they were coming back in a big way. Even if it had worked, I still would have questioned it. This was a Les Miles moment from our coach.

KingDavid
1/3/2008, 02:00 AM
This was a LUCKLesS Miles moment from our coach.

The difference is that, because of Lester's Faustian deal with the Devil, he would have:

a) converted the silly fourth down call and gone on to score.
b) converted the two point conversion by recovering a fumble in the end-zone; and
c) recovered the onside kick.

dominationStation
1/3/2008, 02:23 AM
ok we really need to look on the bright side. If Malcolm Kelly decides to comeback do you know how loaded we'll be at receiver. Quentin Chaney looked like a freakin all-american. He's the only one who showed the balls to go down field and try to keep us in the game.

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2008, 02:45 AM
I love the idea of looking at the bright side. Our future looks pretty damned good if you ask me.

william_brasky
1/3/2008, 03:43 AM
my #1 is: we couldn't stop the run

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 03:57 AM
The difference is that, because of Lester's Faustian deal with the Devil, he would have:

a) converted the silly fourth down call and gone on to score.

Wrong. The play would have been stuffed, but the defense would have been called off-sides.

AlbqSooner
1/3/2008, 08:15 AM
1. Stoops calls destroy momentum. When we pulled it to 20-15, we were in control of the game. There was very little up-side to going for two points. And much less to going for the onside kick. That sequence was the back-breaker IMHO.
Going for two points was the correct call. If we take the one point, that leaves us down by 4 and we need a TD. If, as happened, we fail on the two point try we still need a TD. If we make the two points we are down by 3 and need only a field goal to tie. The onside kick was a hero or goat play. If we pull off the onside at that point, with momentum already shifted, we really demoralize them.

I do agree that sequence turned out to be the back-breaker.

Vaevictis
1/3/2008, 08:24 AM
1. Going for the second two points, I think was just chasing the points we had previously lost. (IE, not a good call.)
2. The onside kick call was fine. Not kicking it the required number of yards was not fine.
3. I think you're missing the #1 killer -- blown defensive plays. The fullback broke free and ran it in for 57 yards. A 43 yard run, followed by a 30 yard run for a TD. Player goes for the ball and whiffs instead of going for the tackle, 79 yard TD pass. Safety bites on play action, leaving WVU player wide open to walk it into the end zone after the catch. Three or four defensive guys in the area, no blockers left, but our guys fail to contain, 65 yard run for TD. That's what, 5 touchdowns that shouldn't have happened.

SoonerKnight
1/3/2008, 08:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuePqhjmpNA

Sometimes it works out! Just saying! :cool:

1. Stoops calls destroy momentum. When we pulled it to 20-15, we were in control of the game. There was very little up-side to going for two points. And much less to going for the onside kick. That sequence was the back-breaker IMHO. Going for it on 4th down in the first half, in our own territory was questionable, at best.

2. Key missing players: Malcolm Kelly, Auston English (played very little due to flu, leg, etc.), Demarcus Granger, Lendy Holmes, Reggie Smith. This is a huge factor. The late losses of Kelly, and especially Granger's stupidity, had to contribute to the lack of fire we showed in the first half.

3. Penalties. Penalties. Penalties. We shot ourselves in the foot over and over and over.

4. Beaten on the edges. Very surprising to see Loadholt getting routinely abused like that. It looked like something was wrong with him. He was bending at waste and reaching all night.

5. Lack of killer instinct. Despite our pyss poor play in the first half, we STILL had the ball three times near or in the red zone, only to emerge with a paltry two field goals.

My last bytch-and-moan comment: I absolutely HATE giving this type of ammunition to the press: four BCS losses in a row. Pardon me while I gnaw my own arm to a nub at the elbow.

Moving on to greener (Crystal) pastures:

It will take some mental poise and commitment to bury this one and play through the skepticism when we play for the National Championship next year in Miami. BUT I BELIEVE WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND WE WILL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OklahomaTuba
1/3/2008, 09:17 AM
Even with all the goofy plays that went wrong, the defense just didn't come to play.

Nearly 400 rushing yards hung on this D! That is unforgivable, even with 3 starters gone. With the talent we have back there, we should NEVER give up that much rushing yardage.

soonerlaw
1/3/2008, 10:04 AM
In the long run, I don't think the failed 2 pt conversion meant much, but in a game where you've just seized the momemtum, I think missing it really took something away from the touchdown drive..

Another key missing guy was Murray. I sure would have liked to see him play yesterday.

badger
1/3/2008, 10:39 AM
I'll give you five:
1- No touchdown taht end!
2- Too much running up teh middal!
3- Didn't fire chuck "third and" long.
4- Nate Hybl!!!
5- No more years of Jason White eligibility.

There you have it. These reasons are always the reasons why we lose and last night's game is no different :D

Widescreen
1/3/2008, 11:08 AM
I'll give you five:
1- No touchdown taht end!
2- Too much running up teh middal!
3- Didn't fire chuck "third and" long.
4- Nate Hybl!!!
5- No more years of Jason White eligibility.

There you have it. These reasons are always the reasons why we lose and last night's game is no different :D
Don't forget about Eric Bassey. The dude can't cover. At all.

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 11:17 AM
The missing players wasn't a factor. All the replacements stepped up and played great. IT WAS THE PLAY CALLING. Why wait and throw the ball on 3rd down? Throw it on 1st or 2nd down. Don't be so obvious.

Very poor coaching. Really is a shame too. The guys worked so hard all year round to be embarrassed on national TV because they were told to run the ball, when time was running out.

And why can't we run a 2-point conversion? I know some simple plays that work great. Mizzou ran one on us in the Big 12. Steal their play. Its a good one!

Jacie
1/3/2008, 11:39 AM
ok we really need to look on the bright side. If Malcolm Kelly decides to comeback do you know how loaded we'll be at receiver.

MK not playing was his way of saying goodbye to Oklahoma, hello to the NFL.

MextheBulldog
1/3/2008, 11:45 AM
Also, why did Bob select to receive the ball at the opening kick rather than play defense?

And then OU gets the ball, runs three running plays up the middle, and punts. Set the tone for the whole night.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 11:49 AM
And then OU gets the ball, runs three running plays up the middle, and punts.

Not true. OU got a first down on the first series with the three straight running plays.

MextheBulldog
1/3/2008, 12:07 PM
OK, so OU got a first down. Then went out and threw a 6 yd completion and had two sacks. But again, why choose to receive? Set the tone for the whole night.

Theskipster
1/3/2008, 12:19 PM
Don't you think the problem was the offensive line being unable to block even 3 man rushes and not that we chose to receive?

MextheBulldog
1/3/2008, 12:48 PM
Yeah, the o-line was a major issue last night. But don't kid yourself - WVa brought 5/6/7 guys on almost every play.

If you're gonna choose to receive the ball, do something!
-Come out in a set WVa had not seen on tape
-Put MK or JI in the Wild Hog for one play
-Throw it deep first play of the game
-Run a reverse or double screen play
-Put the WVa Defense off balance

It just seemed like a bad move, especially since OU always kicks (it feels that way). This issue was magnified when we come out for the 2nd half, are down 20-6 and have to kickoff. If OU receives the ball start of the 2nd, then maybe we avoid that silly onside.

This was only one small piece of the pie though.

76soonergrad
1/3/2008, 01:04 PM
It's very simple.

We did not look prepared. Our O-line was healthy. Couldn't handle the speed. And then, to get beat by running plays.....

We have not looked prepared in other BCS games as well. We have dug ourselves into a reputation now. "Can't win the big one."

I hope this motivates the staff into a post season attitude adjustment.

Thought Bradford & Iglesius played great.

TheBobbyTrain
1/3/2008, 01:22 PM
what happened to the ol' fashioned shovel pass? we used to burn a lot of people with that when they were bringing in a ton of people from the outside. i don't think i've seen it in a couple of years.

also, whatever happened to using mossis madu in the slot? i remember hearing in the preseason about how he would be utilized, but it never happened

FlatheadSooner
1/3/2008, 01:26 PM
1. Attitude
2. Motivation
3. Attitude
4. Motivation
5. Attitude

MextheBulldog
1/3/2008, 01:34 PM
1. Attitude
2. Motivation
3. Attitude
4. Motivation
5. Attitude

So what's your point, exactly? :cool:

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 01:45 PM
We chose to receive so we could be in attack mode. I thought it was a VERY GOOD call. It would have been better if we had capitalize on it and scored.

FlatheadSooner
1/3/2008, 01:47 PM
So what's your point, exactly? :cool:

Just seems like there has been a lack thereof during our recent bowlgames. Sometimes it's just for the 1 Qtr, where last night it seemed like most of the game. I wasn't at the game last night but OUr sideline appeared very uninspired - players and coaches. I realize there were many things not going OUr way but we were still "in the game" until mid-4th Qtr and didn't see very many "leaders" stepping up to get the team fired up. Same thoughts during USC and 1st half of Boise game.
:(

MextheBulldog
1/3/2008, 01:47 PM
We chose to receive so we could be in attack mode. I thought it was a VERY GOOD call. It would have been better if we had capitalize on it and scored.

Fine, BUT WHERE WAS THE ATTACK MODE? If we score, no doubt i am singing a different tune too.

Thus, the point, why receive if you're gonna play it tight?

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 01:49 PM
If was flupped up with strong defense of WV and the wacky calls by OUR COACHES.

swardboy
1/3/2008, 01:58 PM
1. Attitude
2. Motivation
3. Attitude
4. Motivation
5. Attitude

AMAMA? A..MAMA. Yes! That's it! WE need a mama!!!

I think our o-line was saying "mommy" about every play last night....

NWAERSooner
1/3/2008, 02:02 PM
My first post ever!
SUC lost to Stanford when Booty was out, LSU lost when Dorsey was out, and we lost when Sam was out. It doesnt suprise me that we could not play at the same level of the Big 12 Championship game with the 6 stars out! I just cant stand to listen to all the OU haters lip about the 4 BCS bowl losses. We will get number 8 next year!!!