PDA

View Full Version : For those of who want Stoops fired...

BASSooner
1/3/2008, 01:29 AM
Please get off of the sooner bandwagon and go find another team to cheer for.

Neg me if you want, I do believe that Stoops is part of the problem, HOWEVER, it can be fixed. He's not a terrible coach, in fact he's amazing(your kids would even know that). There are just changes in the coaching staff that are needed.

I've been saying this for two years STRAIGHT. We've lost OUr swagger, remained inconsist, conservative, and are left without motivation. Now I'm not gonna say, "Bring back Mike Stoops!", but I will say that we do need change and I believe that Stoops does need to step up to make those changes.

This team had(and will have) sick potential and due to this performance, changes do need to be made. Again, for those of you who are throwing baby tantrums about wanting Stoops to get fired, you all are idiots. Stoops just needs to make changes in my opinion, that is it.

Discuss

Dio
1/3/2008, 01:38 AM
Stoops isn't going to make any changes unless he feels some heat. Obviously seeing "0-3 in OU's last 3 BCS bowls" on the ESPN ticker wasn't enough heat for him. And I'll stay on whatever damn bandwagon I feel like.

Socrefbek
1/3/2008, 01:40 AM
He was a good coach. He needs a major wakeup call. These guys get big raises for success, why is there not a reciprocal cut in pay for abysmal failures?:confused:

bcgvh
1/3/2008, 01:41 AM
Heck no we don't get rid of Stoops, but there is an obvious problem here and it needs to be addressed. If that means replacing some of the coaches on the staff, then it's time to do it. There's no excuse for us losing our bowl game every year with this much talent. Everyone comes out fired up to play and we look like we just came from a funeral. We knock out Texas, destroy OSU, and beat Mizzou TWICE, yet we can't handle the Big East chumps? Give me a break...

bcgvh
1/3/2008, 01:45 AM
Stoops isn't going to make any changes unless he feels some heat. Obviously seeing "0-3 in OU's last 3 BCS bowls" on the ESPN ticker wasn't enough heat for him. And I'll stay on whatever damn bandwagon I feel like.

Maybe 0-4 will do it...or maybe not...but let's hope!

goingoneight
1/3/2008, 01:47 AM
If you want Stoops fired, go be a fan somewhere else. He's the best thing to happen to OU since Switzer retired/moved on. I guarandamntee you anyone else in the country would **** themselves with joy if he signed on with them tomorrow.

Since when is 11-3 conference Champions with a freshmen QB not enough at Oklahoma? I look back at all of the Switzer and Wilkinson teams, no scholly limitations, less parity, less media, I still see 17 years a piece and only three magical MNC seasons a piece. Stoops is going on ten with limitations and expectations everywhere and is still delivering conference titles.

Switzer and Wilkinson never had the BSBCS to fight with, either. Much as I loved those guys, I still respect the hell out of Stoops and want him here for a LONG time. If we lose a meaningless bowl game, who cares in the end? Did WVU or BSu take away the golden hat? Did they take away OUr actual legit MNC trophies from the Switzer center? Did LSU steal J-Dub's Heisman?

We're BIG 12 Champs and have a bulk of this great team coming back next year to continue to develop and enjoy watching. Many others have maybe a TV game a year, and nothing but an equivalent to the Bed-lame Bell to play for each season.

goingoneight
1/3/2008, 01:49 AM
Heck no we don't get rid of Stoops, but there is an obvious problem here and it needs to be addressed. If that means replacing some of the coaches on the staff, then it's time to do it. There's no excuse for us losing our bowl game every year with this much talent. Everyone comes out fired up to play and we look like we just came from a funeral. We knock out Texas, destroy OSU, and beat Mizzou TWICE, yet we can't handle the Big East chumps? Give me a break...

What you fail to realize is that OSU is nothing special, and Texas and Mizzou would have been destroyed by WVU tonight.

BASSooner
1/3/2008, 01:49 AM
you HAVE to be kidding

we are 0-4 in STRAIGHT BCS bowls. We lost to a team that lost it's head coach and half of it's staff. OUr team had it's worst game of the season.

I'll be shocked if no change is made.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/3/2008, 01:53 AM
We're BIG 12 Champs

Yep. And tonight we looked like Pee Wee 12 champs.

I don't want Stoops fired. I want the same Stoops who took this team to the Big 12 Championship to get this team just as fired up for its bowl game. Consistently.

BASSooner
1/3/2008, 01:55 AM
If you want Stoops fired, go be a fan somewhere else. He's the best thing to happen to OU since Switzer retired/moved on. I guarandamntee you anyone else in the country would **** themselves with joy if he signed on with them tomorrow.

Since when is 11-3 conference Champions with a freshmen QB not enough at Oklahoma? I look back at all of the Switzer and Wilkinson teams, no scholly limitations, less parity, less media, I still see 17 years a piece and only three magical MNC seasons a piece. Stoops is going on ten with limitations and expectations everywhere and is still delivering conference titles.

Switzer and Wilkinson never had the BSBCS to fight with, either. Much as I loved those guys, I still respect the hell out of Stoops and want him here for a LONG time. If we lose a meaningless bowl game, who cares in the end? Did WVU or BSu take away the golden hat? Did they take away OUr actual legit MNC trophies from the Switzer center? Did LSU steal J-Dub's Heisman?

We're BIG 12 Champs and have a bulk of this great team coming back next year to continue to develop and enjoy watching. Many others have maybe a TV game a year, and nothing but an equivalent to the Bed-lame Bell to play for each season.
going8, I do respect your post, however, I strongly have to disagree with some points.

I don't see how you would say that a BCS bowl is a "meaningless" bowl game(besides the fact that the winner receives some additional $$$)

I do understand your point about the 11-3 with the freshman QB situation, but in the end, we are Oklahoma and we have REALLY high expectations. At this point with 4 straight BCS losses, winning a conference championship is just not good enough just like USC not being in a national championship game.

We have the best coach in the country. He just needs to make changes. That is all

dominationStation
1/3/2008, 02:03 AM
I would like to know who the hell you guys would like? Because you know that if bob stoops leaves we'll most likely get some old guy whose gonna stay for two years then retire. If you want Stoops gone YOU are the reason everybody hates OKlahoma because you are a bandwagon **** go get on USC's theirs a million people on it! I actually want to lose a couple of games to weed out all the people who like OU only because of the recent years. If you didn't know the fight song says " I'M SOONER BORN, I'M SOONER BRED, AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE SOONER DEAD" "it's not i'm sooner sometimes, i'm a sooner when their good, and when the sooners do bad i'll say peace B******"

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 02:31 AM
Life before Stoops really sucked. I don't want to relive those memories. Let's be happy with the job he has done for us.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/3/2008, 03:31 AM
the fact that were going to BCS games all the time is a reason to not even think about changing coaches. i dont think we can do better then stoops at this point.

look at schools with good tradition like georgia, fsu and vt and others that have been in the BCS games in the past few years that dont make it every year, its a great thing to make it, weve gotten used to it and dont see it as a privelage and i hope we never do cause i wanna go back every year but losing games against other good teams isnt the end of the world

SoonerKnight
1/3/2008, 08:30 AM
Please get off of the sooner bandwagon and go find another team to cheer for.

Neg me if you want, I do believe that Stoops is part of the problem, HOWEVER, it can be fixed. He's not a terrible coach, in fact he's amazing(your kids would even know that). There are just changes in the coaching staff that are needed.

I've been saying this for two years STRAIGHT. We've lost OUr swagger, remained inconsist, conservative, and are left without motivation. Now I'm not gonna say, "Bring back Mike Stoops!", but I will say that we do need change and I believe that Stoops does need to step up to make those changes.

This team had(and will have) sick potential and due to this performance, changes do need to be made. Again, for those of you who are throwing baby tantrums about wanting Stoops to get fired, you all are idiots. Stoops just needs to make changes in my opinion, that is it.

Discuss
In the last 5 years Stoops is 54-10!!!! Is he really the problem? :rolleyes:

Breadburner
1/3/2008, 08:38 AM
Players have to play....But I have to say our staff panicked.....

otis
1/3/2008, 08:48 AM
im glad someone said it. but the fact is bob cant or doesnt do much coaching or preparing from dec. to jan.

BASSooner
1/4/2008, 01:08 AM
In the last 5 years Stoops is 54-10!!!! Is he really the problem? :rolleyes:
and 2-6(lost 4 straight) in BCS bowls.

Get to the bigger picture buddy. We have the nation's most talented team(next to USC). If that is OUr bowl record, then there is a problem.

AlabamaSooner
1/4/2008, 01:35 AM

Ditto and ditto.

insuranceman_22
1/4/2008, 02:20 AM
God I'm glad I'm a Sooner fan......not many places in the good ol USA can even have an arguement like this.

Mistakes were made in preparing and in execution last nigh....no doubt about that. But we need to keep in mind that Stoops and Co. have spoiled us by what he has accomplished here in the last 8 or 9 years. Just remember the 90's for a bit....being a diehard Sooner fan was miserable sometimes (a lot of the time), so even though the BCS record hurts and we were outcoached/outplayed, he's done a helluva job overall.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah, this is a hell of a lot better than the 90s!

LittleWingSooner
1/4/2008, 03:08 AM
I agree we shouldn't want Stoops fired. But we should expect vast improvements in bowl game prep for next year. These losses are embarassing.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2008, 03:19 AM
Embarrassing as they are, I was in a sports bar tonight for well over an hour watching part of the KU game and I didn't hear one person say A WORD about my OU cap, not one "f'n hillbillies", not one "you got your asses handed to you", etc.

We all know what I think, but they ALL know we're still the Sooners and they ALL know to keep their traps shut cause I'll find 'em next year and feed 'em a BCS championship shirt!

Boomer "F'N Hillbilly" Sooner!!!!!

LittleWingSooner
1/4/2008, 03:19 AM
Yeah, this is a hell of a lot better than the 90s!

Yeah but that's not a good comparison. The 60's make the 90's look good and that is saying something.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2008, 03:21 AM
True enough and a pile of crap makes an overcooked steak look good...so: perspective people!

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2008, 03:23 AM
I don't remember the 60's teams being that bad. Worse than the 90's? We had to have players stand on a chart to know who should go on the field?

LittleWingSooner
1/4/2008, 03:27 AM
I don't remember the 60's teams being that bad. Worse than the 90's? We had to have players stand on a chart to know who should go on the field?

60s were average most of the decade. Wilkinson started out bad with a couple of down years the first 2 years but rebounded with 2 solid seasons to end his career. There's a reason Gomer Jones only coached 2 years. He went on to be the AD here. Then McKenzie came in and turned things around. But then he gets a heart attack and dies. Fairbanks takes over and has a great year his first year but by 1969 and early 1970 the "Chuck Chuck" campaign started. The 60s was better than the 90s. No doubt about it. But the 70s and 50s make the 60s look even worse. From 1947-1959 OU lost 1 conference game. That says it all right there.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2008, 03:51 AM
But it's still a simple fact...we have more things going right than wrong. We're not rationalizing ags, we know we have a few issues, but at the same time, we're not ag educated so we know damn friggin' well what the issues are and we can fix them with a combination of the coaches recognizing their weaknesses and calling in extra help where needed and the players being a bit more experienced overall and pushing themselves a bit harder.

As for some of the Wilson/Stoops smack I'm hearing, it seems to me that Bob needs to focus on defense and help Brent and what I hope will be a co-defensive coordinator to be named later while allowing Kevin to open it up a little with the help of either someone new or Josh moving up to co-offensive coordinator or coordinator/qb coach.

If money is an issue for the University, then peel off 1% of the other guys' income and hire people. And the people they bring in need to be either fantastic coaches from somewhere else or preferably great former Sooners with a true desire to get us to the level we know we can be.

Another thing that can't possibly hurt is doing what Stoops was doing in 99-00 and getting more greats on the sidelines and locker rooms to help our guys embrace the real Sooner tradition. There's not been as much of that lately and we need Stoops Era, Switzer Era, and everyone else great to pop in more often.

oudivesherpa
1/4/2008, 08:10 AM
Bob, is a great coach, but very inflexible. He used to be called Big game Bob, now he's just Bob. But light years better than Blake.

If you don't learn from your mistakes you'll keep getting the same results.

AlbqSooner
1/4/2008, 08:10 AM
Another thing that can't possibly hurt is doing what Stoops was doing in 99-00 and getting more greats on the sidelines and locker rooms to help our guys embrace the real Sooner tradition. There's not been as much of that lately and we need Stoops Era, Switzer Era, and everyone else great to pop in more often.
Joe Washington was hired this past year to do just that.

Collier11
1/4/2008, 09:13 AM
our staff has become complacent...there is no other explanation for our inability to adjust our defensive scheme and our lack of offensive creativity.

McSoonerDad
1/4/2008, 09:29 AM
Stoops is the right guy for the job, hands down. Its a business and should be treated as such. You remove people and replace them at will to insure your bottom line is profitable. Period... Problem is when you hire "friends". It makes changing difficult. i think the only way Venables leaves is another job position because I dont see Stoops pulling the plug. BJW may not be a gamer but he can recuit and its a double edge sword when it comes to coaching/recruiting. You can only have so many of each. Hopefully they watched the Mangino's last night and got a clue of how they use to do it. Can anyone name the leader on this team? The Williams', Calmus' and Marshall's? Lofton is great but I never saw him as a leader. Again, Lofton is greatness. ;)

PLaw
1/4/2008, 09:46 AM
I'm a Bob Stoops fan and I've got confidence that Bob will find his swagger again. Consider the following:

1) Five assistants have accepted HC jobs in the past 8 years. Stack that up against any other major program.

2) What the hell was there to play for in the desert? Yeah, a win would have been great and we would have all been thumping our chests about how great we are and how tough it is to win the Big 12. At the end of the day, the kids probably had a great time and enjoyed the reward for a darn good season.

3) Yeah, we got out coached and pretty much embarrassed on national TV. That said, who in August wouldn't have been thrilled with a BCS bowl game considering we had major holes to fill in the defense and a freshman starting at QB.

4) Oh yeah, there were also five starters MIA for the game. I think most of the "fans" just thought we could plug the holes with subs and not miss a beat. I only recall the Hogs in the OB having more starters out for a bowl game.

5) WVU had a darn good team - one game away from playing for the championship.

Take a chill pill - a deep breath - and relax. I've got a feeling Bob will be able to do the same and we will win another Big 12 championship in 08 and maybe even a bowl victory.

BOOMER

wishbonesooner
1/4/2008, 09:47 AM
Anybody that wants Stoops replaced is a moron. But, I don't think it makes you a bandwagon fan to think changes need to be made. That's all most of us fans want. I'm not a coach. I don't know what the solution is. I do know this. Bob himself told us all way back that there would be no excuses. He told us that our expectations of him SHOULD be high. Three times this year he told us he got outcoached. Nobody should outcoach Bob Stoops. Nobody.

Curly Bill
1/4/2008, 10:05 AM
If we lose a meaningless bowl game, who cares in the end?

A meaningless bowl game? They did keep score right? If they're keeping score then it's not meaningless.

...and I for one care when we lose...but maybe that's just me?

The Maestro
1/4/2008, 10:22 AM
I think this whole thread is funny. The premise is that people are calling for Stoops to be fired. Who? I have yet to read one poster with more than 10 posts say that...so the one's who might be are just troll's trying to stir things up.

Yet in saying Stoops is the man the first post says about 10 things he needs to do differently which, if given the opportunity to tell Bob that to his face, would be met with a snicker and an attitude like you don't know what the hell you are talking about...basically like he treats the media.

Look, Bob is a great coach, no doubt. He could work on his P.R. skills, though. There is a reason Pat Jones survived 0-10-1 at OSU...cause he is likeable. Bob for all his greatness is really kind of a snob. I wish he would just come down off of his high horse and admit some things could be better and tweaking is always apart of success. Every great athlete, rock star, leader, etc. always worked on getting better. There is a reason U2 has great albums in the 80's, 90's and today...and there is a reason Michael Jackson is doing the moonwalk in Laughlin tonight for $5 on the street. Re-invent yourself, Bob. Take the successes from the past and repeat. Learn from the failures and make changes.

Honestly, I have no worries about the offense. Put DeMarco and Malcolm back in that lineup and we are just fine...with some improvement on the discipline of the O-line. Defensively, I think things would have been drastically different with Reggie, Lendy and DeMarcus. So we need to get better at depth. And I sure hope we realize the attacking style we utilized in the Big 12 Championship game sure beats the "sit back and wait for the attack" style we used against a passing team like Tech and a running team like WVU.

And by Gawd compete hard in every game for every play. Win or lose with all out effort. There are basically 10,800 hours in a year of which only 56 of those consist of actually game time. Can you not go all out for 56 hours a year? Treat every damn game like it is the Super Bowl. Every play like the game hinges on it. Getting beat by 20 as the Big 12 champ while the rest of the Big 12 puts up a really good bowl record is embarrassing.

Vic n Tulsa
1/4/2008, 10:23 AM
What you fail to realize is that OSU is nothing special, and Texas and Mizzou would have been destroyed by WVU tonight.

Woa there ding dong, Texas and Mizzou looked damned good in their bowl performances. I wouldn't say destroyed is appropriate based on their bowl preparations and performances, unless you're talking about OU.

sendbaht
1/4/2008, 10:57 AM
He is a GREAT coach I would not want anyone else. Love though to brother Mike somewhere on OUr staff.

76soonergrad
1/4/2008, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=Crucifax Autumn]

.....We're not rationalizing ags, we know we have a few issues....

0-4 in our last 4 BCS games? Something is wrong here, just saying so doesn't make me a bandwagoneer.

There is a BCS pattern.
We look like we don't deserve to be in the game with the way we play.

AND WE ALL KNOW WE DO DESERVE TO BE THERE.

Where's the disconnect? Will the coach stand up & address it? He makes the bucks, he takes the heat. To make it clear, Stoops should remain as coach. But he should also be accountable.

We can second guess all we want--What matters is what our coach thinks.