PDA

View Full Version : One-Dimension > Two-Dimensions...

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 01:20 AM
... if that one-dimension refers to "kicking ***."

Amazing. Truly amazing. Fellow Sooner fans claiming that WVU is too one-dimensional to win this game. SOONER fans! If anyone in the country --- and I mean anyone --- should have known better, it was Sooner fans.

The OC of West Virginia didn't design his offense to be easy to stop. Switzer certainly knew better. You can be successful with any style of offense if you have good athletes that can execute it.

But not Sooner fans. Nope. Too many in here bought into the MYTH (that's right, M-Y-T-H) that modern defenses are too fast to allow such one-dimensional offenses to be successful. We were going to stuff WVU because we had too much team speed on defense for such a one-dimensional offense to work.

Either many of us in here are wrong, or OU needs more defensive speed. (Frankly, I don't think defenses are any faster now than they were twenty years ago, especially on the defensive line. They certainly are fatter.)

For the record, there was nothing wrong with the play calling. There was nothing wrong with our "inspiration." The team played hard. They simply played a team that was better.

Pat White is a tremendous player. I can see why there was a huge drop-off when he was out against Pitt. Their best RB didn't even play (thank God).

So repeat after me: "West Virginia has a one-dimensional offense that is very hard to stop."

OU Adonis
1/3/2008, 01:50 AM
I was preaching this many times. If you can find a quarterback, you can run any offense.

Last I checked, the offense had just as many players as defense. We got abused.

Jello Biafra
1/3/2008, 01:53 AM

Amazing. Truly amazing. Fellow Sooner fans claiming that WVU is too one-dimensional to win this game. SOONER fans! If anyone in the country --- and I mean anyone --- should have known better, it was Sooner fans.

The OC of West Virginia didn't design his offense to be easy to stop. Switzer certainly knew better. You can be successful with any style of offense if you have good athletes that can execute it.

But not Sooner fans. Nope. Too many in here bought into the MYTH (that's right, M-Y-T-H) that modern defenses are too fast to allow such one-dimensional offenses to be successful. We were going to stuff WVU because we had too much team speed on defense for such a one-dimensional offense to work.

Either many of us in here are wrong, or OU needs more defensive speed. (Frankly, I don't think defenses are any faster now than they were twenty years ago, especially on the defensive line. They certainly are fatter.)

For the record, there was nothing wrong with the play calling. There was nothing wrong with our "inspiration." The team played hard. They simply played a team that was better.

Pat White is a tremendous player. I can see why there was a huge drop-off when he was out against Pitt. Their best RB didn't even play (thank God).

So repeat after me: "West Virginia has a one-dimensional offense that is very hard to stop."

how did chase daniel fare against us? i don't think hes much slower than white......tell me.......waiting.......

no pressure outside the tackles = no contain = azzzwhoopin

A Sooner in Texas
1/3/2008, 01:53 AM

I don't often agree with you, but this time I absolutely do.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 02:24 AM
how did chase daniel fare against us? i don't think hes much slower than white......tell me.......waiting.......

Who cares? How is this even relevant?

Jello Biafra
1/3/2008, 02:32 AM
Who cares? How is this even relevant?

how is it relevant? are you fuggin kiddin me? reread your original post.....you said they were the better team tonight and pat white was a tremendous player......

you're wrong on both counts. he's faster than daniel. yeh. but he sucks at passing. when he was off....he was waaaay off.

they are probably faster (overall) than missouri but, maclin, daniel, temple is better than the three pud stains they threw out there tonight. there is at least a real threat of the pass. when the big dumb fullback was in there, you knew they were running.

the difference in the two games was we were not able to get any pressure up the middle which caused our dends to change the paths of their rush thus losing outside contain. when you have a 265 lb fullback lead blocking and picking up the first one to the point of attack and white/devine making the cut off that first block, you will usually get what you saw. big yardage or a score. white and devine got about 80% of the yardage on the run outside of the tackle.....any more questions?

by the way diggcheeze, we are plenty fast at any position on defense you may want to analyze. the problem is we don't/can't play disciplined defense. play action continues to be our achilles heel and consistent pressure without the need for a blitz still eludes our defense.

Fraggle145
1/3/2008, 02:44 AM

actually there best rb did play against us (devine was better at least for this season). slaton has been having an off year all year. I think we did them a favor there...

personally i dont think they were better that just may be my sunshine pump, but I thin kthat we played a football team that wasnt as good as us but was better than most and we came out flat.

see the first half for proof, if they were that much better, it should have been 35 to 6 at half. JMO

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 03:39 AM
how is it relevant? are you fuggin kiddin me? reread your original post.....you said they were the better team tonight and pat white was a tremendous player......

you're wrong on both counts. he's faster than daniel. yeh. but he sucks at passing. when he was off....he was waaaay off.

You're proving my point. White doesn't have to be a great passer, because a one-dimensional offense can still win.

they are probably faster (overall) than missouri but, maclin, daniel, temple is better than the three pud stains they threw out there tonight.

I would want to ask the OU defenders their opinions on the matter. Naturally, we will have to wait for them to catch their breath since chasing Pat White all over the football field is bound to be rather tiring.

"Oh yeah... huff huff... ummm... that Pat White is... huff huff... not nearly as good as... as good as... huff huff... Daniel."

there is at least a real threat of the pass. when the big dumb fullback was in there, you knew they were running.

And couldn't stop them anyway. Which is my point. Read my original post.

Do you have to be two-dimensional to win big ball games? If you say no, then you agree with me. If you say yes, then I have no idea what game you were watching.

the difference in the two games was we were not able to get any pressure up the middle which caused our dends to change the paths of their rush thus losing outside contain. when you have a 265 lb fullback lead blocking and picking up the first one to the point of attack and white/devine making the cut off that first block, you will usually get what you saw. big yardage or a score. white and devine got about 80% of the yardage on the run outside of the tackle.....any more questions?

But we're still the better team? Okay, dude, whatever you say.

by the way diggcheeze, we are plenty fast at any position on defense you may want to analyze.

Then you agree with me that speed doesn't kill one-dimensional offenses. Good.

the problem is we don't/can't play disciplined defense. play action continues to be our achilles heel and consistent pressure without the need for a blitz still eludes our defense.

Play action? Pat White?

Sorry, but we are not discussing the USC or Georgia game here. This is about the OU/WVU game. The one where the one-dimensional offense lit up our defense.

Jello Biafra
1/3/2008, 03:58 AM
You're proving my point. White doesn't have to be a great passer, because a one-dimensional offense can still win.

I would want to ask the OU defenders their opinions on the matter. Naturally, we will have to wait for them to catch their breath since chasing Pat White all over the football field is bound to be rather tiring.

"Oh yeah... huff huff... ummm... that Pat White is... huff huff... not nearly as good as... as good as... huff huff... Daniel."

And couldn't stop them anyway. Which is my point. Read my original post.

Do you have to be two-dimensional to win big ball games? If you say no, then you agree with me. If you say yes, then I have no idea what game you were watching.

But we're still the better team? Okay, dude, whatever you say.

Then you agree with me that speed doesn't kill one-dimensional offenses. Good.

Play action? Pat White?

Sorry, but we are not discussing the USC or Georgia game here. This is about the OU/WVU game. The one where the one-dimensional offense lit up our defense.

whatever....nothing i say will change your mind for sure....i will say this, outside of our team, 8 out of the top 10 bcs would beat these guys soundly this year. you will not have a qb that is worse than young or wallace at the pass, beat a balanced, well disciplined team by running the ball 85% of the time.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 04:43 AM
whatever....nothing i say will change your mind for sure...

That's because nothing you say makes sense.

We were ranked #4 in the country. We certainly have as much speed on defense as anyone. And we didn't even come close to stopping WVU.

Jello Biafra
1/3/2008, 11:16 AM
That's because nothing you say makes sense.

We were ranked #4 in the country. We certainly have as much speed on defense as anyone. And we didn't even come close to stopping WVU.

now you're starting to pizz me off. what don't you understand? you said in another thread we needed more speed on defense, now you say we have plenty? 8 out of the top 10 teams in the country right now would beat them soundly. im not going to get into it again but stop and think about your peewee football days (becasue im sure you've never worn a jock since besides around your head) you can stop ANYONE with disciplined quick defense. peewee football teams RARELY pass the ball so you put 9 in the box........im telling you, discipline and aggresion would have beaten wv last night

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 11:19 AM
Thread starter has it all wrong. Don't listen to him.

Pigface1
1/3/2008, 11:26 AM
how did chase daniel fare against us? i don't think hes much slower than white......

In the pre-game they mentioned that Slaton and White were both 4.3 guys. I was skeptical, but I hadn't seen anyone run away from English like that all year. Then again Lofton pretty much chased him down a couple times.

Either way, from top to bottom OU has WVU outmatched. Just like Boise, TT, Colorado, etc. Guys like Lofton, AP, and Cheney had unbelievable games. Some of the other guys looked like they didn't even want to be there. It doesn't make sense.

sooner518
1/3/2008, 11:37 AM
Yea, White and Devine are hella fast, but I really dont think that was our biggest problem. The problem was WVU just blocked the living crap out of us at the point of attack, most noticeably out on the edges. They had massive holes to run through and no one was laying a hand on them to slow them down.

You get those 2 super fast guys running, unimpeded into the secondary, no safety in the world is going to be able to make that play. I dont care how fast your secondary and LBs are. You arent gonna stop them at that point. Our guys were out of position and getting worked on the blocks and by the time they've gotten past the first wave, defensive speed is a moot point.

OU Adonis
1/3/2008, 11:53 AM
I posted a long time ago that the wishbone could still work if you mixed in about 15 passing attempts a game instead of the 2-3 we used to throw it. I think this game proved the point.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 11:54 AM
you said in another thread we needed more speed on defense, now you say we have plenty?

You have some serious reading comprehension problems.

8 out of the top 10 teams in the country right now would beat them soundly.

Based on what? Nothing I saw last night, that's for dayum sure.

im not going to get into it again but stop and think about your peewee football days (becasue im sure you've never worn a jock since besides around your head) you can stop ANYONE with disciplined quick defense.

Sure, but that goes for two-dimensional offenses as well. So how does this settle the one-dimensional versus two-dimensional issue?

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 11:56 AM
I posted a long time ago that the wishbone could still work if you mixed in about 15 passing attempts a game instead of the 2-3 we used to throw it. I think this game proved the point.

Absolutely. You just have to have the type of players that can make it work and then you have to execute the plays.

Pigface1
1/3/2008, 12:07 PM
Yea, White and Devine are hella fast, but I really dont think that was our biggest problem. The problem was WVU just blocked the living crap out of us at the point of attack, most noticeably out on the edges. They had massive holes to run through and no one was laying a hand on them to slow them down.

You get those 2 super fast guys running, unimpeded into the secondary, no safety in the world is going to be able to make that play. I dont care how fast your secondary and LBs are. You arent gonna stop them at that point. Our guys were out of position and getting worked on the blocks and by the time they've gotten past the first wave, defensive speed is a moot point.

I've been watching Devine online for the past 4 years or so. That guy's going to get his big plays no matter who it's against, he's ridiculous.

But yeah, I completely agree. .OU got blown off the ball all night, on both sides of it.

FlatheadSooner
1/3/2008, 12:21 PM
Guys like Lofton, AP, and Cheney had unbelievable games. Some of the other guys looked like they didn't even want to be there. It doesn't make sense.

I agree........during most of the game OUr sideline appeared uninspired and I didn't really see anyone stepping up to get the team fired up - including the players and/or coaching staff. This seems to be same lack of attitude as games against USC, Boise St., WVU. I realize we were behind in most of the game, but we were very much still in the game until mid-4Qtr. There's really no excuse for not having the team motivated - especially with OUr post-season history. I really thought we'd see the same team type attitude that we had in Big 12 Ch game.................very dissappointing that we can't overcome that missing element.
:confused:

Jello Biafra
1/3/2008, 01:24 PM
You have some serious reading comprehension problems.

Based on what? Nothing I saw last night, that's for dayum sure.

first, whatever. you said it not me.

second, they've been beaten twice this year by far worse opponents than the top 10 teams......remember what im telling you. discipline and aggresion. watch them next year..........

by the way, read my sig and realize im done with your dumb azz.

r5TPsooner
1/3/2008, 01:26 PM
As we were being *** raped by WVU, I found myself wondering what it would be like to run the wishbone or have a QB capable of using his legs to make plays like back in the Switzer era?

MextheBulldog
1/3/2008, 01:45 PM
Jamelle Holieway? Charles Thompson? Thomas Lott? JC Watts? All very similar to what you saw last night.

r5TPsooner
1/3/2008, 01:47 PM
Jamelle Holieway? Charles Thompson? Thomas Lott? JC Watts? All very similar to what you saw last night.

DON'T REMIND ME:(

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 07:22 PM
Well, don't remind me of Charles Thompson.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 07:24 PM
they've been beaten twice this year by far worse opponents than the top 10 teams

So has just about everyone. :rolleyes: