PDA

View Full Version : Congrats on a Great Season

NYC Poke
1/3/2008, 12:33 AM
I know you're all hurting from a frustrating loss, but before you put the barrel in your mouth and your toe on the trigger, remember some of the positives.

1. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for OU. If rebuilding means going to a BCS bowl, I'd like to have a few of those rebuilding years.

2. You won another Big XII Championship, and beat the then-number one team in the country to do so.

3. You made it to a BCS bowl. Sucks to lose, but would you rather win the Insight?

4. WVU is legit. They played out of their heads and proved they are among the elite programs right now.

5. Bowls are unpredictable, iffy affairs. There's a reason why there are crazy bowl upsets every year. I wouldn't do my best work after a month-long vacation, either.

OU had another great season and you have every reason to be proud of your team. And for those of you who will inevitably want to place blame for the loss on Stoops or any other member of the coaching staff, be thankful for what you have. If you don't want them, feel free to send them up North a little ways. We'd be glad to have them.

I am sorry for your loss, but again, congratulations on your season.

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2008, 12:45 AM
Wow...What a classy post! I was gonna make a similar post but a poke somehow beat me to it. We were supposed to suck this year with an inexperienced QB and O-line and we won the south, won the big 12, almost went to the BCS championship, and played a great team in the Fiesta.

I have a few issues with some of the game as far as occasional playcalling I disagree with and a few issues with some of the penalties, but overall we just got beat. The excuse-makers will say we were missing players and that hurt bad, but injuries and suspensions are part of the game. I thought we'd win anyway, but WV had something to prove and they came out and executed. had the first few series gone a bit differently the tone of the game woulda been different, but that too is part of the game.

We're still Sooners, we still have a great team, and we're still proud. We'll be in the fray again next year and most likely be better than this year and as far as I'm concerned that gives me plenty of reason to proudly leave for work tomorrow in Sooner gear and be depressed not because we lost, but because it'll be so long before game 1 of 2008, hopefully our first in a string of BCS championships and almost surely continuing our string of Big 12 Championships.

Boomer ****in' Sooner!

Funky G
1/3/2008, 12:46 AM
Classy post Poke. You are right in that I will take the Big 12 Champeenship and love beating Texas. With that said, it is high time we take these "meaningless" games serious and show enthusiasm and win one. We get great efforts from our opponents and we should respect the reward and open these games with similar enthusiasm. Watching our opponents do so is impressive. Even if the game is not for the "big enchilada" we should still show up. Perhaps the mystique of OU is merely rhetorical. Maybe we should have all our bowl opponents wear "orange"?

Ending the season with these results suck. Boomer Sooner!

NYC Poke
1/3/2008, 12:54 AM
Maybe we should have all our bowl opponents wear "orange"?

Heh. I saw another thread about teams needing a lift. You've given us a lift 17 times in our history.

That's what it means to be on top -- everyone who manages to beat you is going to feel damn good about it.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/3/2008, 01:50 AM
Heh. I saw another thread about teams needing a lift. You've given us a lift 17 times in our history.

That's what it means to be on top -- everyone who manages to beat you is going to feel damn good about it.

that almost makes me feel OK about tonight....then I reconsider and review that last 4 out of 5 bowl appearances, allbeit big bowl games.

Is kinda like in the NFL when they say its better to lose in the conference championship than in the Superbowl cause its too painful to lose the big one.

We've had our share of big losses in the last few years

KingDavid
1/3/2008, 01:56 AM
that almost makes me feel OK about tonight....then I reconsider and review that last 4 out of 5 bowl appearances, allbeit big bowl games.

Is kinda like in the NFL when they say its better to lose in the conference championship than in the Superbowl cause its too painful to lose the big one.

Good gawd. Have we become the Buffalo Bills of college football? Somebody point me to the nearest ledge . . .

A Sooner in Texas
1/3/2008, 01:58 AM
Thanks, Poke. Appreciate the good reality check and the classiness you always bring to the board.

soonermeteor
1/3/2008, 02:00 AM
^ If I weren't confused as to where I was.. I'd lead yah...

....where Is lou holthhhzzz we need a pep talk for dem soonersss......

I like pokes...l ...... the postis good but you can only make excuses so long..... fact is we are becoming chokelahoma...

I feel like a :texan: in a :twinkies: bar... out a place and :hot: :hot: :hot:

Im tired and need antoher drink :pop:

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2008, 02:00 AM
Good gawd. Have we become the Buffalo Bills of college football? Somebody point me to the nearest ledge . . .

Hopefully, the Denver Broncos of college football. They had 3 painful SB losses and then finally back-to-back SB wins. Let's hear it for '08 being the next NC year :D

NYC Poke
1/3/2008, 12:04 PM

Look at it this way: Would you rather have lost to Mizzou in the CCG and gone to Dallas for New Year's? You're hurting right now and rightfully so. Go look at that pretty Big XII Championship trophy in your trophy case. That should make you feel a little better.

As should this (courtesy of Sully on OP):

http://aemadistrictv.com/dingleberry.jpg

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2008, 12:15 PM
Look at it this way: Would you rather have lost to Mizzou in the CCG and gone to Dallas for New Year's? You're hurting right now and rightfully so. Go look at that pretty Big XII Championship trophy in your trophy case. That should make you feel a little better.

As should this (courtesy of Sully on OP):

http://aemadistrictv.com/dingleberry.jpg

If we had the players "Doosh" and "Bagg" next to each other and we won the game, I'd be happy.

TexasLidig8r
1/3/2008, 12:21 PM
Actually Pokie.. wasn't OU favored to win the Big XII this year? They were regarded as having one of the more experienced, best offensive lines and even with the loss of Peterson, their stable of running backs was well respected. The only question mark was at quarterback.

Going into 2008, they will be one of the top 2 - 3 teams along with USC and Ohio State.

MiccoMacey
1/3/2008, 12:32 PM
Quit bringin' facts into our pity party, counselor. ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2008, 12:34 PM
Very good season, yeah. GREAT season, not! ya gotta win your bowl game to qualify for great, IMO.

rubyspirit
1/3/2008, 12:36 PM
Dingle Berry ... LOL! Good one.

Congrats Big 12 Champions Sooners!

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2008, 12:40 PM
Actually Pokie.. wasn't OU favored to win the Big XII this year? They were regarded as having one of the more experienced, best offensive lines and even with the loss of Peterson, their stable of running backs was well respected. The only question mark was at quarterback.

Going into 2008, they will be one of the top 2 - 3 teams along with USC and Ohio State.

Not in the polls I saw, but I'm sure you can look it up. The main difference according to experts was that UT had a returning, record-breaking QB while OU was unsettled at that position. OU was not talked about in terms of MNC until they blew out the first 4 (weak) opponents. Then we got spoiled :rolleyes:

soonersn20xx
1/3/2008, 12:44 PM
I find it very aggiesh to try to find solace in "it could have been worse". Bob Stoops and his staff need to be questioned hard about the fact that they can't prepare the team to play in the bowl games.

Indy Sooner
1/3/2008, 12:45 PM

No, actually the typically underachieving bunch from Austin was the consensus pick to win the Big XII this season:

http://www.stassen.com/preseason/consensus/2007.html#big-12

NYC Poke
1/3/2008, 12:51 PM
Not in the polls I saw, but I'm sure you can look it up. The main difference according to experts was that UT had a returning, record-breaking QB while OU was unsettled at that position. OU was not talked about in terms of MNC until they blew out the first 4 (weak) opponents. Then we got spoiled :rolleyes:

Most of the preseason picks I saw had UT winning the Big XII. The knocks I saw were young O-line, questionmark at QB, and thin secondary. The O-line showed it's youth in the Fiesta Bowl, but otherwise had a pretty good year. And we all know what Bradford accomplished during the year.

So overall I'd look on it as a positive year. It played out better than expected. OU dropped a couple they shouldn't have, expected for young teams, but was still able to come away with a Big XII Championship and a BCS bowl invitation. Could have gone a lot worse.