PDA

View Full Version : coaching staff

soonerfaninfla
1/3/2008, 12:25 AM
I have taken lots of flake the past few years concerning my doubts about ou's coaching staff. looks like some of the people who have called me everyname in the book and tried to say i was not a true soonerfan are now finally seeing the light, that we need drastic changes

bringit
1/3/2008, 12:28 AM
and what would you recommend?

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 12:29 AM
'drastic' is not correct.

Redgiant2
1/3/2008, 12:31 AM
The only drastic change would be to get rid of Vulnerables. He's incompetent, he's in over his head, he cannot and will not get the job done. Ever. Wilson is mediocre and predictable and his offense looks like something Michigan would be proud of but they scored enough points to be in the game if the ball and chain that is the OU defense had at least showed up and played somewhat disciplined football. It's time for Bob to make a change. Enough is enough.

yur-out
1/3/2008, 12:35 AM
Would these be the same people that having been saying "Where's Riverboat Gambling Bob gone", " Why dosen't Bob gamble the way he used to". You know the same ones that are now on these same boards saying, " That onside kick was stupid". Those guys? Ya good group to be in.:rolleyes:

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 12:35 AM
Venables can't make them tackle better and make them stop over pursueing when they are on the field. The coach can only do so much and then the players have to start acting like they know what to do.

Theskipster
1/3/2008, 12:51 AM
Venables can't make them tackle better and make them stop over pursueing when they are on the field. The coach can only do so much and then the players have to start acting like they know what to do.

Venables can make them stop playing the nickel and dime when all the teams that have beaten them did so by putting 8, 9, and even 10 in the box and make Pat White throw all game.

But he didn't. And that is his fault. Completely and without doubt. I want a DC who actually looks at game film and knows the type of team he is playing.

Redgiant2
1/3/2008, 12:52 AM
The damn coach is responsible for the discipline of his defense. He's responsible for them playing within the confines of the defense that is called. Saying anything else is apologist homer bull****. These guys are sloppy and lazy and it's your boys fault. PERIOD.

tulsaoilerfan
1/3/2008, 12:53 AM
My question is do they work the players too hard that they are worn out by the time the bowl game starts?

OKC-SLC
1/3/2008, 12:56 AM
My question is do they work the players too hard that they are worn out by the time the bowl game starts?
I understand where you're coming from.

But Granger got arrested stealing a coat from Burlington Coat Factory. I just don't think these kids have been spending too much time practicing over the last few weeks.

tulsaoilerfan
1/3/2008, 01:05 AM
I understand where you're coming from.

But Granger got arrested stealing a coat from Burlington Coat Factory. I just don't think these kids have been spending too much time practicing over the last few weeks.
I didn't necessarily mean just over the last month, but over the course of the year;just throwing that out there to see if anyone can run with it

Theskipster
1/3/2008, 01:08 AM
Hey Stoops! If you have to come out twice in a season and say that you were flat out Out Coached you need to change some things.

IronSooner
1/3/2008, 01:13 AM
I think instead of saying we had players out of position, we need to admit that we have coaches out of position. BJW has no business coaching DBs. Venables can coach linebackers with the best of them, but doesn't need to be coordinating anything.

"Outcoached and outplayed" doesn't cut it anymore. That's not a free pass to repeatedly fail in stupefying and fantastic fashion. Make the changes you need to make to win.

sooner-n-ga
1/3/2008, 07:57 AM
and hire a staff that will over come his short comings. He can't get a team ready for the big games and got out-coached this season by Colorado, TT and now a interim WV staff.

Bob gets 3 million to stay thru '08, his next contract should carry a clause that if he wins his bowl game he gets a 1 million dollar bonus, if he loses he donates 1 million to a charity.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/3/2008, 08:03 AM
When you're down 20 in the 4th quarter, a running play won't get it done. Thanks Kevin Wilson!

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 08:14 AM
Bob Stoops=Marty Schottenheimer.

That is all.

SoonerKnight
1/3/2008, 08:20 AM
First, I want to say that the lost to LSU was a close lost but a great game in LSU's back yard! Plus it was the f ucking national championship game people!!!!!!! The next year again was a backyard game but with USC and it was embarrassing!!!!! Those two losses I do not count because they were national championship games and those two years OU was 24-1 in the regular season!!!!!!!! Then we went 8-4 in the regular season. Now last year wqas one of the greatest games in college football history!!! Not so bad it was a loss but not so bad people it was a game but was not the national championship game!!!!!! Now tonight we played a team that was hyped up like we were in the Big XII championship game. Now Stoops made a gutsy call I say bravo!!! remember last year against A&M 4th and 1 on our 25 yard line or whatever the game was very close Stoops went for it and we got it!!!! Tonight the plays just didn't go our way and their swpeed was scary!!! I mean that defense was impressive to say the least!!! But remember something that coach had been on the staff at WVU for like 12 years or something he was not new to WVU Football!!!!!!!! So really were they disadvantaged?

Oh and we play like crap until the third qtr!!!!!! Then WVU turned up the heat!!!! Here is a video of a call that worked!!! For the record we are 22-6 the last two years. Not too bad. Do we really want to run Stoops off to what get another blake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuePqhjmpNA

RoaminSooner
1/3/2008, 09:47 AM
Points taken, but I think the general consensus is that the timing wasn't great for the onside. In the Bama game, if memory serves, we couldn't get things going and we needed a spark...in the game last night, momentum was on our side we had finally gotten the stops, score the TD, but fail on the 2 and - If we kick it deep and hold'em and we retain momentum. Instead they're defenders stayed home, and they get the ball with great field position, and get quick points. The rest is history

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2008, 09:56 AM
The only change I've recommended over the past two years is to do the following:

(1) Fire DE coach Chris Wilson.

(2) Move BJW mack to DE coach.

(3) Hire a real secondary coach.

Nothing I saw last night (lack of pass rush, secondary out of place and allowing long scores) made me feel different. Chris Wilson must have something on Stoops.

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2008, 10:08 AM

I met a former OU player over the Christmas break (played here from 2000-2004) who definitely had an opinion about this, but...I'll just keep it to myself. I've been negged before for questioning the strength and conditioning program manager. I'll just say that what the player told me did nothing to deter me from my prior opinion of the issue.

Dio
1/3/2008, 10:12 AM
The next year again was a backyard game but with USC and it was embarrassing!!!!!

Miami FL is in Southern California's back yard????????

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 10:16 AM
I met a former OU player over the Christmas break (played here from 2000-2004) who definitely had an opinion about this, but...I'll just keep it to myself. I've been negged before for questioning the strength and conditioning program manager. I'll just say that what the player told me did nothing to deter me from my prior opinion of the issue.
That post is useless!
"I've got a seee-cret, but I'm no-ot tell-lling."

C'mon TDTW, you can do waaaay better than that. Either tell us what you've heard or don't say anything at all.
:rolleyes:

Tear Down This Wall
1/3/2008, 10:21 AM
Okay...he may or may not have said Coach Schmidt may or may not run the players too much. :D

He also said something about the number of leg injuries...but, we're not going there. I'm not anyway. We'll just see if they continue to pop up with the regularity that they seem to with our guys. The player had some opinions about it, that's all I'm saying. He may or may not have implied that certain weightlifting techniques may or may not be the root cause. ;)

OUmillenium
1/3/2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks, I've been wondering why we seem so flat in bowl games.

This "fatigue" is not evident on the USC, Oregon, Boise St., or WV teams.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 11:32 AM
Contrary to popular opinion, no one in here knows as much about defense as Brent Venables. Quit pretending you do.

KABOOKIE
1/3/2008, 11:50 AM
Contrary to popular opinion, no one in here knows as much about defense as Brent Venables. Quit pretending you do.

I don't know much about playing the piano but, I can tell you when someone is playing it like ****. :D

Sirus
1/3/2008, 12:07 PM
In nine seasons under Bob Stoops, the Oklahoma defense has traditionally been tough to run on. This year had been no different, as the Sooners ranked seventh nationally by giving up just 91.9 rush YPG. Then West Virginia came calling. The Mountaineers had 349 yards on the ground, the most rushing yards ever gained against a Stoops-led OU team. - ESPN.com

Vic n Tulsa
1/3/2008, 12:31 PM
Hey Stoops! If you have to come out twice in a season and say that you were flat out Out Coached you need to change some things.

Hey Stoopie...take a hint from your buddy Mack and get your boys playing at 6 in the morning, work them hard for a month, do the best coaching job in bowl prep and you will see the results.

Remember: NOS (Not Our Standard). That is all:texan:

SoonerRecon
1/3/2008, 01:27 PM

coordinating the defense is not rocket science, lets get that straight first. bv has embarrassed us on the national stage for the 3rd time in a bcs game. i believe bv has an ego problem, and his play calling reflects that. you do not blitz a premier rushing qb by overloading one side, that is simply ego overpowering the brain.
how did we shutout vy a few years back? by creating an umbrella around him and making him beat us with his arm. when you are the highest paid coach i don't want to hear you were outcoached 3 times in one season, fix the problem.

r5TPsooner
1/3/2008, 01:30 PM
Ohhhh

God

Make

It

Stop!

Redgiant2
1/4/2008, 12:19 AM
I didn't necessarily mean just over the last month, but over the course of the year;just throwing that out there to see if anyone can run with it

I would say it is not the amount but the quality of practice over the course of the last few years that has resulted in the blowouts and beatings.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2008, 12:29 AM
coordinating the defense is not rocket science, lets get that straight first.

Sure, just about anyone can do it, especially the experts in this forum. :rolleyes:

BASSooner
1/4/2008, 12:43 AM
The only change I've recommended over the past two years is to do the following:

(1) Fire DE coach Chris Wilson.

(2) Move BJW mack to DE coach.

(3) Hire a real secondary coach.

Nothing I saw last night (lack of pass rush, secondary out of place and allowing long scores) made me feel different. Chris Wilson must have something on Stoops.
If Yoda were here he would say, "there is another..."

He is referring to Mark Stoops, the other brother.