PDA

View Full Version : Summing up some comparisons on WVU and OU

WolfCop
1/3/2008, 12:21 AM
WVU-Pulled together as a team in adversity.
OU-Has a player stealing a coat when it 70 degrees outside.

WVU-Blocks and tackles
OU-Has a huge line that can't block and a defense that has huge holes in it.

WVU-Has a fullback crying after the game that they won the game for the best state in the US.
OU-Not sure they care about the state but more concerned about their own image.

WVU-Was having fun at the bowl.
OU-Has a coach that says his linebacker is the best he has ever coached. Sorry, but you had some linebackers win a MNC. These linebackers lost to Colorado, TT and WVU.

After three straight embarassments in BCS bowls...I am ashamed.

This needs to be fixed.

tulsaoilerfan
1/3/2008, 12:23 AM
Pretty good assessment i would say

TUSooner
1/3/2008, 12:28 AM
WVU deserved that win and the great feeling they are having.
They played with all the things we had NONE of: intensity, desire, and pride, to name but a few.
Every member of OUr team from Stoops on down should be ashamed - not for losing, but for showing up empty once again.

Vic n Tulsa
1/3/2008, 12:32 AM

WVU-Blocks and tackles
OU-Has a huge line that can't block and a defense that has huge holes in it.

WVU-Has a fullback crying after the game that they won the game for the best state in the US.

WVU-Was having fun at the bowl.
OU-Has a coach that says his linebacker is the best he has ever coached. Sorry, but you had some linebackers win a MNC. These linebackers lost to Colorado, TT and WVU.

After three straight embarassments in BCS bowls...I am ashamed.

This needs to be fixed.

CORRECTION: FOUR straight embarassments in BCS Bowls. You should be ashamed! OU SUCKS!

Your *** was handed to you tonite! 359 WVU rushing yards? Are you freakin kidding me! Stoops (Genius). Yeah whatever!

Katy's Most Wanted
1/3/2008, 12:34 AM
Somehow this post got through the censors.
Great assessment and very true about the linebackers - how offensive is that remark to the guys that kicked FSU's A_ _?

Dallas
1/3/2008, 12:40 AM
I'd say that about summs it all up. Excellent points all around. I cannot argue w/ anything of that post.

Sure has been major let downs the past few years.

I told my office tonight before I left that OU cannot afford to drop this Fiesta Bowl. They just had to win because they are not going to live it down.

We are what?

1-5 in the last bowls? That makes me empty inside. :(

Lott's Bandana
1/3/2008, 12:41 AM
We coach and play well against teams we are familiar with.

We seem to be lost when up against a new team/system/coach.

That leads to BigXII Championships and bowl losses to teams we should beat.

Still, an overachieving year all in all and a fun one...similar to last year's adversity. We have stars we didn't know we had...Bradford, English, Lofton.

My head was in the sand when I convinced myself the missing players wouldn't hurt us too bad.

Can't wait for September.

Jello Biafra
1/3/2008, 12:42 AM
Stoops (Genius). Yeah whatever!

and yet.....you KEEP losing to him. good job.

aurorasooner
1/3/2008, 12:49 AM
Rushes - WVU 39 - 349 Yards
Avg Per Rush 8.9 yards. This is just a killer. We averaged 4.1 YPC which is respectable, but when the opposition out-rushes you almost 5 YPC and Slaton was out most of the game. That's just sad. Pitiful execution and preparation in these national televised BCS bowl games is why coordinators remain coordinators instead of getting head coaching jobs. Our offensive and especially our defensive preparation and performance tonight will completely erase the great performance we had in the Big 12 championship game. I don't know what we're doing in our December bowl game preparation but it just flat "ain't" working and imo it's embarrassing to our fans. I wouldn't be surprised if that ridiculous on-sides kick didn't make the Pontiac game-changing performance. It should. Just an absolute horrible coaching blunder at that point in the game. JMHO, but when you're kicking off from the 30 yard-line and less than a touchdown down, you just don't on-sides kick unless you're well into the last part of the 4th quarter. After that, WVU, who was already the faster team tonight, became another step faster and we became 2 steps slower. I think Clay Horning could see this coming in his column yesterday in the Norman Transcript
Is third-ranked Oklahoma even the slightest bit ready to play this game Wednesday night?

Is morale an issue?

That fanstastic defense that shut down the unshutdownable in the second half at the Big 12 title game is missing the preseason defensive conference player of the year to injury, Reggie Smith; a mainstay defensive back to academic ineligibility, Lendy Holmes; and now a standout tackle to criminal lunacy, Granger. And what’s up with Auston English?

There’s plenty to fret about.

More disturbing is the possibility the Sooners simply aren’t that into it. That Holmes’ academics and Granger’s — really, we’re running out of adjectives here — sudden bout of kleptomania are symptomatic of some deeper team-wide malaise.
http://www.normantranscript.com/statenews/cnhinsall_story_001073726.html
OU-Has a huge line that can't block and a defense that has huge holes in it. I definitely agree about our OL not being able to run block especially against very good defenses with quality DCs, but I still think it's that we have a simple jr. high (at-best) running play design with virtually no deception and mis-direction designed into the offense. We just don't put any pressure on the opposing defense to stay honest and protect both sides of the ball laterally.

tulsaoilerfan
1/3/2008, 12:49 AM
CORRECTION: FOUR straight embarassments in BCS Bowls. You should be ashamed! OU SUCKS!

Your *** was handed to you tonite! 359 WVU rushing yards? Are you freakin kidding me! Stoops (Genius). Yeah whatever!
Screw you; BCS bowl is something you will never get to see

WolfCop
1/3/2008, 12:53 AM
My point was a close loss to LSU in a home game in New Orleans wasn't an embarassment. Getting thumped by USC and WVU and then losing to BSU last year was.

yur-out
1/3/2008, 12:54 AM
and yet.....you KEEP losing to him. good job.
Heh, Great point.

MI Sooner
1/3/2008, 12:56 AM
Still, an overachieving year all in all and a fun one...similar to last year's adversity.

I've heard this a lot, but I don't understand how a preseason ranking above and end-of-season ranking = overachieving.

MI Sooner
1/3/2008, 12:57 AM
Also, the 2004 Sugar Bowl was not a home game for LSU. That argument is as stupid as the old meme about the Texas game being a home game for Texas. We had A TON of fans at the Sugar Bowl. Less than LSU, but still...

hink4769
1/3/2008, 01:05 AM
I'm not sure about how much "adversity" WVU really had to overcome. Obviously ESPN/FOX wanted to pump that as much as possible to make a good story, but really, WVU is a veteran team that has been in the spotlight for awhile (lots of those thursday and friday nationally televised games the last few years). I'm sure losing their coach was a big deal, but I didn't think going into the game it was going to affect them too much. pat white et. al. knew what they were doing and having rodriguez on the sideline wasn't going to make much of a difference.

TripleOption14
1/3/2008, 01:11 AM
The O-line for OU can block when its someone who is slower than they are or just as fast. As soon as the D-line is faster its lights out for the O-line. How many times did that guy run right by Phil?!?! And the result was a holding penalty.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/3/2008, 01:16 AM
I've heard this a lot, but I don't understand how a preseason ranking above and end-of-season ranking = overachieving.

uh.....dont worry about facts please

evergreen1310
1/3/2008, 01:18 AM
Isn't it amazing how we all used to hear about how Stoops is the last guy you want to give a month to prepare for a game if you're an opposing team. My how things have changed. -- I love stoops, I never want him to leave OU, but I do wonder if he's developing nieve ego about how good he and especially his staff really is.

Redgiant2
1/3/2008, 01:24 AM
There were a TON of holding penalties that weren't even called. These guys could've boasted almost 200 yards in penalties tonight had they actually called a close game.
The general malaise of the teams that have been fielded over the last few years is getting pathetic and embarrassing. There needs to be a change made because it has now developed into a continuing pattern.
Watching Owen Schmitt tonight after the game made me want to puke. There is not one guy on this team that can boast a quarter of the pride, heart, and esprit de corps he possesses. Somebody somewhere needs to get a clue and start instilling some morale into these guys.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 01:35 AM
Next year, I want to OU to play against a team that doesn't have to face adversity or been deemed the Cinderella team.

Stoops seems uptight before bowl games, and his teams play like he looks. In fact, OU has come out of the starting gate poorly in a lot of games this year, but bowl games have been particularly bad.

Loadholt is big, but I am not sure how good he is at pass defense. How quick can you really be at 350 lb? He also tends to commit a lot of penalties. What the NFL sees in him I am not sure.

I don't think we should be making such disparaging comments about our players. A little uncalled for, IMO.

They played with all the things we had NONE of: intensity, desire, and pride, to name but a few.

Again, I think some of us are a little hot over the loss. I thought OU played hard. I didn't see any instances of anyone taking a play off.

Sometimes you go up against a team that is simply more than you can handle. WVU could very well be the best team in the country.

I'm not sure about how much "adversity" WVU really had to overcome. Obviously ESPN/FOX wanted to pump that as much as possible to make a good story, but really, WVU is a veteran team that has been in the spotlight for awhile (lots of those thursday and friday nationally televised games the last few years).

Agreed. This "adversity" angle is a bit old. Switzer (who I think has one of the most honest approaches to tv commentary) pretty much said the same thing. Once the ball is kicked, throw all that crap out the window. (And the same could be said for pre-game and halftime speeches.)

SoonerinSouthlake
1/3/2008, 01:43 AM

This needs to be fixed.

well said

Lott's Bandana
1/3/2008, 02:41 PM

Go ahead and subscribe to what a bias pile of journalism majors have to say, before a season even begins. I know every year we believe we will run the table, but everything was hanging on a quarterback decision.

One bad blow to the helmet away from the mnc title game. Not many of Bob's peers can make that claim.