PDA

View Full Version : Jamaal Charles leaving for NFL

colleyvillesooner
1/2/2008, 03:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3177593

Charles leaving school to enter NFL draft

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas junior running back Jamaal Charles, who rushed for 1,619 yards this season, has decided to leave the Longhorns to enter the NFL draft.

Jamaal Charles is the fourth Texas back to rush for more than 1,500 yards in a season.

Charles joined Ricky Williams, Earl Campbell and Cedric Benson as the only Longhorns to rush for over 1,500 yards in a season. He had 161 yards and two touchdowns in Texas' Holiday Bowl win over Arizona State. The Longhorns finished 10-3.

His biggest game of the season was a career-high 290 yards in a 28-25 win over Nebraska in which he had 216 yards and three long TDs in the fourth quarter.

Texas also announced Wednesday that assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator Larry Mac Duff, who spent one season on coach Mack Brown's staff, has also decided to leave. Mac Duff joined the Texas staff after spending four seasons with the San Francisco 49ers.

Where does this leave them for next year at TB? McGee didn't impress me much when I saw him.

Breadburner
1/2/2008, 03:55 PM
Big mistake....He's believing the hype it appears.....

colleyvillesooner
1/2/2008, 03:58 PM
Don't even try to check out what Hornfans think. it's down. :D

Animal Mother
1/2/2008, 03:59 PM
Don't even try to check out what Hornfans think. it's down. :D

Hornfans.com is down?!?!?!?!

You could knock me over with a tactical nuclear weapon.

illinisooner
1/2/2008, 04:00 PM
I agree, he needs another year...but it helps us out if he leaves, I wasn't impressed with any of their other backs. I'm not sure if Texas has any stud RB recruits coming in though.

soonerloyal
1/2/2008, 04:00 PM
Man, that's a big blow to the UT Nation. I feel for 'em.

Well, good luck to the lad.

P.S. Mack Brown's family isn't prone to strokes, are they? Someone check his BP...

auto
1/2/2008, 04:01 PM
Jafumble rocks. Can't believe he is leaving, he has been a big help to OU

OSUAggie
1/2/2008, 04:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3177593

Where does this leave them for next year at TB? McGee didn't impress me much when I saw him.

Darrell Scott will be the man if they can get him.

If not, they might be in a bit of a hole.

SoonerStormchaser
1/2/2008, 04:19 PM
Well, since Colt McCoy didn't exactly set the world on fire this year...and their top receivers and RB is leaving...and Frank Okam is buh bye...

I'm really getting excited about our RRS prospects...

Harry Beanbag
1/2/2008, 04:21 PM
Be prepared for Mack to offer Jermie Calhoun.

JohnnyMack
1/2/2008, 04:22 PM
Be prepared for Mack to offer Jermie Calhoun.

Exactly what I thought when I read this. I think there will be some negative-DeMarco Murray is gonna be the man, you'll get lost in the shuffle-recruiting coming out of Austin soon.

colleyvillesooner
1/2/2008, 04:26 PM
big possibility there. But Demarco has a gang buster year and he's off too...

JohnnyMack
1/2/2008, 04:43 PM
Someone needs to shut their whore mouth.

OSUAggie
1/2/2008, 04:49 PM
Mack already burned the Calhoun bridge... he ain't going anywhere else but Norman.

TexasLidig8r
1/2/2008, 05:00 PM
Someone needs to shut their whore mouth.

?????????????????????????

lololol...

He could have used another year at UT to work on hanging on to the flippin ball. But, his numbers at the combines will be very good and someone in the first two rounds will take a chance and think "we can teach him to hold on to the rock." They'll look at Selvin Young and think "this kid is bigger and faster with better numbers."

As for replacing him, McGee has potential. Obunny-yay is back as a steady, yet unspectacular back. A couple of freshman who redshirted this year show promise... but, Mack needs to get Scott out of California.

And yes.. Calhoun is not an option. He wanted UT but for some reason, Mack wouldn't extend an offer.

Jacie
1/2/2008, 05:11 PM
Has Mack lost some of his . . . mojo? Could this really be happening? A saxet player not named Vince Young leaving early? How can this be? I thought everyone who played for Mack did so because they wanted to be part of the family, instead of going off to make BIG Bucks playing in the bad old NFL. Go figure!

NYC Poke
1/2/2008, 05:38 PM
He could have used another year at UT to work on hanging on to the flippin ball. But, his numbers at the combines will be very good and someone in the first two rounds will take a chance and think "we can teach him to hold on to the rock." They'll look at Selvin Young and think "this kid is bigger and faster with better numbers."

Dunno. Once someone is known as a fumbler, that can be a tough label to shake.

OSUAggie
1/2/2008, 07:17 PM
Tatum managed to be a #1 pick as a fumbler. Charles is faster and more elusive.