PDA

View Full Version : Penalties/Turnovers - Why?

RoaminSooner
1/2/2008, 03:28 PM
Why do we tend to come out sluggish in our BG's? In Stoop's first 3 season's we were the most prepared team in the country. Rock ****ing solid. I think the preperation for the CCG was ovbiously excellant, as it usually is. But is it me or does it seem there's a disturbing trend that the team we see in January rarely looks like the team we were in October? I was shocked into being reminded that we were tied for having the most to's in BCS history with 5. If the team that kicked the everliving **** out of Missouri shows up tonight, we could beat them by 24. If the January bug comes and bites our *** again tonight- it could get scary. I hope I'm wrong.

Boomer Sooner

soonermeteor
1/2/2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah I dont know what it is either. You'd think they'd hopefully get the point after 3 BCS losses, but I guess we will have to wait and see. :rolleyes:

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2008, 05:51 PM
Every year is different. USC was just better than the '04 team (not *that much* better, but still..). The '06 OU team was young and scrappy, but not dominant and Boise was much better than people gave credit. The '03 OU team is the big mystery to me. That was Stoop's most dominant squad and then the CCG disaster hit followed by a sluggish start in the MNC game.:confused:

This years squad is near-dominant and pretty even keel, so I expect them to be ready. I am a bit worried about losing 2 defensive starters to non-football reasons (lack of focus?).

RoaminSooner
1/2/2008, 09:13 PM
....mmmhhhmmmm

76soonergrad
1/3/2008, 12:27 AM
We don't look prepared. Of course, this year we were missing 5 starters. But who wants excuses? Everyone on the O-line was healthy. Just not prepared for speed.

What was the last bowl game we won?

soonerhubs
1/3/2008, 12:28 AM
Holiday Bowl.

OUinFLA
1/3/2008, 12:36 AM
Holiday Bowl.

Oh, yeah, the one that was taken away from us in the record books.

Rose Bowl?

soonerhubs
1/3/2008, 12:37 AM
Oh, yeah, the one that was taken away from us in the record books.

Rose Bowl?
:( I forgot about that.

Rusher
1/3/2008, 01:27 AM
Losing starters are BS excuse. Every single players should be ready to play. Play Hazle more, rotate more backup players into the mix. Give them reps, give them experience. Give them more discipline.

Redgiant2
1/3/2008, 01:36 AM
I would dare say that WV has more team speed than Mizzou. Especially at QB. Not only that, but White is terrific on the move and Daniels is not. OU had no plan on keeping White contained and if they did, they executed it very poorly. I'm pretty sure talking smack about the Big XII CCG is a bit on the rose colored glasses side at this juncture. WV just kicked OU's *** and made them like it with an interim head coach no less. That's embarrassing to say the least.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2008, 01:37 AM
A lot of penalties came late after it was pretty bleak; also WVU had over 100 yards in flags, included 2 30 yarders, so I say that was a wash. The offense came out sluggish again until the defense developed leaks - same old story. Also, we were not prepared to hang tough in a close game. The 1 turnover cost 3 points - silly to throw into the endzone on 3rd and 20; gain a few yards and take the field goal! Don't go for 2 that early, when it was 20-15 we had already thrown away 4 points. Then another failed 2 later. It's like we expected to win big and paniced when it didn't happen.

Bob and company seem to do great and weekly game prep, but the 5 week delay to the bowl game seem to trip them up. Other teams don't seem to have that problem.

RoaminSooner
1/3/2008, 01:40 AM
I posted this thread 2 or 3 hours before kick-off....the memory of these continuing troubling bowl game issues surfaced, as though my mind erases the reality during the season because of our consistant quality during the regular season. That said, come bowl time- I haven't felt easy since '02 when we had DOMINANT D...remember we lost the Independance Bowl before the Orange bowl. Bob's a great coach, but we've got to make some changes during bowl prep.

hink4769
1/3/2008, 01:42 AM
I would dare say that WV has more team speed than Mizzou. Especially at QB. Not only that, but White is terrific on the move and Daniels is not. OU had no plan on keeping White contained and if they did, they executed it very poorly.
Agree completley here. White killed us several times, and we had no answer. I remember on one key 3rd and 5 in the third quarter I looked at my dad and said, "white's going to run this for a first down," and sure enough WVU calls a passing play, OU blitzes, white sees the blitz and runs for a 1st down. Devine ended up scoring a TD later that drive

cccasooner2
1/3/2008, 01:51 AM
OU needs a Granny pregame pep-talk from now on.

dominationStation
1/3/2008, 02:28 AM
Ok yeah but did you notice at all what Barry Switzer said. playing ou brings out the absolute best in everybody. We need to stop worrying about how classy we are. I mean just straight throw that idea out the window. We need to be known as the craziest fans in the nation. Because people are not scared to come to Owen field (this is partially because of the bandwagon jack***** that come to the games). We may be one of the loudest but we need to grow some nuts and start cussing out people and throwing stuff forget class it's overrated anyway.

BASSooner
1/3/2008, 02:44 AM
OU needs a Granny pregame pep-talk from now on.
lou holtz perhaps?;)

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2008, 03:42 AM
Because people are not scared to come to Owen field (this is partially because of the bandwagon jack***** that come to the games). We may be one of the loudest but we need to grow some nuts and start cussing out people and throwing stuff forget class it's overrated anyway.

What is our record at Owen Field?

Octavian
1/3/2008, 03:45 AM
What is our record at Owen Field?

Under Stoops....we're 54-2

Other teams aren't exactly crawling over each other to come to Norman....

hgarmorer
1/3/2008, 04:01 AM
What's the record away from the home base? At home we are almost untouchable, we need to hit the road more and get the feel of being away from the comfort zone.