PDA

View Full Version : Benched but at least he's famous

Jacie
1/2/2008, 01:45 PM
That #22 of the condoms who somersaulted into the endzone (the touchdown that put em up 21-0?) I thought I heard during the broadcast sometime during the third quarter that he had not been back on the field since that play. Petey did seem to be yelling at him as he returned to the suc bench because it cost them a 15-yard penalty on the ensuing kickoff in a game that Illinois could potentially get a big return and get back in it. If he was penalized by not being allowed back in the game for grandstanding I wonder if seeing the play highlighted repeatedly and on internet sports sites made it worth it?

Blues1
1/2/2008, 01:51 PM
My last words to a Team before Kickoff ( IF I was Coaching) would be -- "NO F****ng Grandstanding.....!!!! - Do I make myself Clear.....???"

OUDoc
1/2/2008, 01:58 PM
Recruiting a bunch of thugs will come back to haunt them soon.

picasso
1/2/2008, 01:59 PM
USC was pretty mouthy the entire game. Same for Hawaii, it's getting old.

Thanks again Miami U circa '85.

OUMallen
1/2/2008, 02:16 PM
I thought it was complete trash. I was yelling at th TV...what crap tha was.

soonerlaw
1/2/2008, 02:17 PM
classless, but still a pretty good flip... better than the one portis did against dallas.

Jack T.
1/2/2008, 02:19 PM
At least the flag was thrown. Seems like somebody did that to us a few years back. . .my memory is kinda foggy about that, but I'm pretty sure the flag was *not* thrown in that case.

Desert Sapper
1/2/2008, 02:22 PM
I thought for sure they wouldn't throw the flag. Glad they did. At least some things are getting better.

JohnnyMack
1/2/2008, 02:26 PM
Dez Bryant from LosuR was running his mouth the whole game. He's pretty classess.

Dez,

You were playing Indiana, in a .com bowl.

Aries
1/2/2008, 02:32 PM
Mushburger said "He watched Portis do the same thing, but HE gets a flag for it."

Duh, Brent. Different leagues, different rules. It's not that hard to understand.

MextheBulldog
1/2/2008, 02:37 PM
Aight, i'll go against the grain - it was a harmless little flip into the endzone. Have some fun with yer football, eh? These guys are still youngsters. (here come the Gundy jokes....)

Oldnslo
1/2/2008, 02:38 PM
Don't these kids remember the Lesson of Ferrotte? After-the-TD celebrations can wreck your whole career.

Breadburner
1/2/2008, 02:42 PM
Don't these kids remember the Lesson of Ferrotte? After-the-TD celebrations can wreck your whole career.

Are you serious...? Frerotte has had the best job in football for years.....

Dan Thompson
1/2/2008, 02:42 PM
I think they should change the penalty to be imposed after the kickoff return. then add the 15 yards from the end of the return.

cheezyq
1/2/2008, 03:08 PM
I love it when players pound their chests with their right hand. That's my favorite celebration (yes, I'm being sarcastic) because it basically means "That's all me, baby". It's as if the offensive line and the other players who blocked for you didn't matter on the play, you took on all 11 defensive players on yourself.

I also laughed in the Gonzaga/OU basketball game where that Pargo kid was doing that. Then we proceeded to win. The Butler kid did that in the WV/OU BB game, and we one that one too.

It makes me laugh.

OUDoc
1/2/2008, 03:26 PM
I hate people who excessively celebrate after a tackle/whatever. Isn't that why you got a scholarship? It's your job.
I'm going to start doing that after every correct diagnosis. Maybe spike a cup full of urine on the floor. I'm the man!

Fraggle145
1/2/2008, 03:29 PM
Mike Hart yesterday needed to be shot...

Pvt Joker7
1/2/2008, 03:31 PM
This is the school that Reggie Bush came from. They're no strangers to grandstanding.

sooner518
1/2/2008, 03:34 PM
someone's going to mess it up, land on their head and get seriously injured doing that sometime.

Pvt Joker7
1/2/2008, 03:35 PM
someone's going to mess it up, land on their head and get seriously injured doing that sometime.Or a shoulder for that matter.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/2/2008, 03:50 PM
Or a shoulder for that matter.

The guy was trying to get INTO the endzone. Not show boating. Watch the damned video would ya?

CtheB
1/2/2008, 03:56 PM
What I don't understand is that he was on the 1 yard line when he did the flip. In my opinion, the penalty should have been assessed from the 1, 1st and 10 on the Illinois 16.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2008, 04:00 PM
Aight, i'll go against the grain - it was a harmless little flip into the endzone. Have some fun with yer football, eh? These guys are still youngsters. (here come the Gundy jokes....)

I'll go with you against that grain; it's supposed to be a game. But a rule is a rule and violations have to be flagged consistently. A Bama player did the endzone leap in the CU/Bama game and there was no flag. That was the only time this year I have seen that not flagged - WTF ?

BTW, that #22 had no reason to flip. It was a trick play that worked and all he had to do was catch the ball and trot to the endzone. The OC that called the play should have done the flip.

SoonerLB
1/2/2008, 04:13 PM
Idiotic antics in the end zone are stupid! That is all! :)

insuranceman_22
1/2/2008, 04:22 PM
I hate people who excessively celebrate after a tackle/whatever. Isn't that why you got a scholarship? It's your job.
I'm going to start doing that after every correct diagnosis. Maybe spike a cup full of urine on the floor. I'm the man!

Doc....you might want to consider something other than a cup of urine for a spike.....you could always use it for a distance toss though!

I understand what you mean though, the "team" is not what it's about to a lot of players........sadly

WisconsinSooner
1/2/2008, 04:25 PM
Before the game the condoms were mouthing to the Illinois players at midfield about their "not belonging" in the Rose Bowl. Although the opinion was correct (Illinois looked pathetic), to taunt them before the game at midfield is pretty classless. Of course I would expect nothing less from USuC.

DeBarr
1/2/2008, 04:27 PM
Some of you pleople sound like you would cover your child's eyes, as not to expose him/her to something as vulgar as a high step or a front flip. Lighten up a little. There is a lot of adrenaline and high emotions taking place on the field in a big time college football game.

Not saying I would condone it as a coach, but personally I found it quite entertaining, and it was the only part of that game that I rewound a couple times to rewatch.

TUSooner
1/2/2008, 05:16 PM
Some of you pleople sound like you would cover your child's eyes, as not to expose him/her to something as vulgar as a high step or a front flip. Lighten up a little. There is a lot of adrenaline and high emotions taking place on the field in a big time college football game.

Not saying I would condone it as a coach, but personally I found it quite entertaining, and it was the only part of that game that I rewound a couple times to rewatch.

The ignorant are easily amused.
There have always been adrenaline and high emotions and people enjoying the game, but "back in the day" they usually did it cooly,with grace and class.
But hell, what's the surprise? Everything in the world these days, whether it's TV "news," sports talk, or even cooking shows is all about "attitude" and image and trash talk.

I propose we have a "STFU Day" when nobody between the ages of 15 and 35 - and nobody of any age from New York or New Jersey - is allowed to talk . :D

wishbonesooner
1/2/2008, 05:32 PM
Q was the absolute best at scoring touchdowns. Get across the line, hand the ball to the ref, go get measured for another ring. Classic.

Oldnslo
1/2/2008, 05:43 PM
Q was the absolute best at scoring touchdowns. Get across the line, hand the ball to the ref, go get measured for another ring. Classic.
See also, Barry Sanders.

maybe it was #22's first TD. In his life.

EstablishedSooner1967
1/2/2008, 05:48 PM
why blame Miami of 85.... hardly any kids that are playing now were even around if born then... its starts at the NFL...

Miko
1/2/2008, 06:01 PM

You left out these steps:

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Against tx in one afternoon it was : Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.:D

picasso
1/2/2008, 06:15 PM

yeah, as there is in all of sports, this chit wasn't happening back in my day, circa '87.

get over yourselves you twits.

OKmanUbet
1/2/2008, 06:33 PM
Smack talking is not so bad as long as it is not excessive....Grandstanding is for selfish players....that flip into the end-zone was classless....Curtis Lofton returning the smack to Daniels and then picking one was priceless (talked a little, then backed it up).

manicsooner
1/2/2008, 06:33 PM
showboating; some kind of hat made for him

OUDoc
1/2/2008, 06:55 PM
The ignorant are easily amused.
There have always been adrenaline and high emotions and people enjoying the game, but "back in the day" they usually did it cooly,with grace and class.

http://www.parseerror.com/images/pics/confused-black-dog.jpg

:D

swardboy
1/2/2008, 06:57 PM
What I don't understand is that he was on the 1 yard line when he did the flip. In my opinion, the penalty should have been assessed from the 1, 1st and 10 on the Illinois 16.

I love this suggestion. The penalty occurred BEFORE the ball breaks the plane...assessed from that point. Takes away Joe Cool's td - incurs the wrath of the team....BRILLIANT!!!!!

OUMedMan
1/2/2008, 07:08 PM
A Little Background on the USC flip, from what I've read.

The players name was Desmond Reed, I think. Two years ago as a sophomore he was Reggie Bush's backup, and was projected to be the next Reggie Bush.

When USC went to South Bend to play Notre Dame, they discovered that the grass on the field was quite high -- just as Charlie Weiss had promised it would be when teams with a lot of speed came to play Notre Dame at home.

The net result were three players suffered season ending injuries related to high grass -- two Trojans and one ND player. Reed's injury occurred after he caught a kickoff and just as he was starting the return. His foot got stuck in the high grass just as he was starting his first step and he torn something up in his knee. It was bad enough that he sustained permanent nerve damage, and now has a "drop foot". He was lost for the season, of course. He went from being a running back at an elite football school with pro aspirations to someone who had some difficulty walking because of the foot drop.

He did came back the next two years, but his playing time has been quite limited, since a running back with a foot drop loses a lot of their speed and maneuverability. His number of carries this year has been quite limited.

I think that particular play was put in specifically for him, and it was the first and only time he scored since his injury two years ago, and this was the last football game he will ever play in. Hence the flip into the end zone.

fadada1
1/2/2008, 07:28 PM
had i been the ref, the flag would've been in the air before he was inverted.

had i been his coach, he would've been in the showers exactly 1 minute after the flip... "and don't even THINK about showing your face on the sidelines for the rest of the game!!!"

all it's going to take is a broken femur and about 1 month for some idiot to do it again.

Earickson
1/2/2008, 07:38 PM
For all of you saying that people should, "lighten up, it's just a football game," let me tell you somethings. First off, I'm sure many of you need to take your own advice because sometime in the next 4 hours you will be yelling at an inanimate object over the same "game". Secondly, having played NCAA football myself, I know that we were all made to watch the official pre-season NCAA video that told us all the "big" rules like "you can't gamble on anything, in fact, you can't even play cards for money," which is why every bus trip to a road game involved players AND COACHES playing cards for money, and the other major part of the video was about, "excessive celebration."

You are not supposed to do anything CHOREOGRAPHED, OR ANYTHING THAT DRAWS ATTENTION SOLELY TO YOURSELF. Celebrating spontaneously WITH teammates, as long as it's not too long in duration, is acceptable.

This rule isn't about killing fun, or being uptight, it's supposed to be a rule that helps teach younger people, (I refuse to jump on the bandwagon and call a college football player a kid, I wasn't a kid and they aren't either), to have stronger character than the normal person. After all, if you are good enough to play running back at the D-1 level, you are going to be expected to have stronger character than the average Joe or Jane, because the average Joe and Jane looks up to you for your football playing prowess. Leadership by example.

If you like the fact that society trends towards selfishness and greed, and disrespect towards others and disrespecting oneself, (getting caught for shoplifting while on a Bowl game road trip is more harmful to the man caught doing it than anyone else, in my opinion), then by all means, support this jacka$$ery full force.

I will not, I will continue to demand more from pretty much anyone and everyone in the world, including myself more than anybody.

He should have done what someone else already mentioned, pull a Barry Sanders and as soon as you score, flip the ball to the ref and make a "bee-line" for you o-lineman to thank them and join in celebration WITH them. It's a team sport after all.

tulsaoilerfan
1/2/2008, 08:03 PM
Sorry, i disagree; i have no problem with spiking the ball or even a little dance, but the flip is **** poor; act like you've been there before

webmasterbob
1/3/2008, 12:39 AM

The players name was Desmond Reed, I think. Two years ago as a sophomore he was Reggie Bush's backup, and was projected to be the next Reggie Bush.

When USC went to South Bend to play Notre Dame, they discovered that the grass on the field was quite high -- just as Charlie Weiss had promised it would be when teams with a lot of speed came to play Notre Dame at home.

The net result were three players suffered season ending injuries related to high grass -- two Trojans and one ND player. Reed's injury occurred after he caught a kickoff and just as he was starting the return. His foot got stuck in the high grass just as he was starting his first step and he torn something up in his knee. It was bad enough that he sustained permanent nerve damage, and now has a "drop foot". He was lost for the season, of course. He went from being a running back at an elite football school with pro aspirations to someone who had some difficulty walking because of the foot drop.

He did came back the next two years, but his playing time has been quite limited, since a running back with a foot drop loses a lot of their speed and maneuverability. His number of carries this year has been quite limited.

I think that particular play was put in specifically for him, and it was the first and only time he scored since his injury two years ago, and this was the last football game he will ever play in. Hence the flip into the end zone.

This is exactly the case. Prior to ripping his knee up on Weis' long grassin 2005, Dez had averaged 7.2 yards per carry. Since the injury he only has 7 carries and suffers nerve damage in his foot and must use a unique brace in order to run.

The play was designed specifically for him and his last game. Dez is a quality young man.

Oldnslo
1/3/2008, 06:27 PM

Well, this explains why Petey ripped Dez a brand new @sshole there on the sidelines afterwards.

Glad the kid enjoyed his moment. It was still a tool move.