PDA

View Full Version : Changes need to be made to the bowl system

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2008, 12:41 PM
I don't like that there's not a playoff. I've said a hundred times before I'm pro playoff. But there's not going to be a playoff so why not make our current system better? There needs to be some changes made to the BCS an Bowl system to make it more competitive especially up top.

I'm tired of these noncompetitive BCS games. Every year there's 1 competitive BCS game most years. And some years no competitive games. Here's what I think should be the rules of the BCS

1. Conference Champs from the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, Big East, SEC, and ACC get an automatic bid. You won't have a BCS system without this.

2. The other 4 bids got to the highest ranked teams unless these situations happen. A non BCS conference or Independent team end up in the top 10. Not Top 12 like it is now. Yes I think there's a big difference between the 2. But Hawaii still gets in anyway under either system. There will be a year when a Hawaii gets left out and they deserve it like they get this year.

3. Get rid of the rule where only 2 conference teams deserve in. OU, Kansas, Missouri all deserve a BCS game. There should be nothing saying they don't. In 1971(I think) the top 3 teams were all from the Big 8. If there was a BCS type system back then(I know computers didn't really exist then but bear with me) one of those teams gets left out. And there may be an other year where the top 3 teams are from the same conference.

And finally 4. Match up the highest ranked teams against each other. Not the top ranked in the BCS necessarily. But matchup 1 vs 2. 3 vs 4 and etc for all the BCS games. Not matched up because The Rose Bowl wants PAC 10 vs Big 10 or whatever.

I think that the only Bowl that would be against any of these is the Rose Bowl because they want that mathchup every year for whatever reason. But if they want to continue that mathchup they can continue it as a Non BCS team. Which means they get left with the extra teams. Another willing bowl like the Cotton Bowl for example can take their place if the Rose really wants that match-up so much.

I'm tired of having a system that has blowouts and boring games in the bigger games. I personally would like to have playoff because it makes those games that much more important. But a lot of people don't agree. With the current system we have should actually use it to have good games not these mediocre games we get.

The other change that needs to be made to the bowls is less of them. There are too many bad teams in all the bowls. 20 bowls puts the top 40 teams in. 11 from all the major conferences. Maybe have bowl spots for independents if they are ranked. But with 29 at large teams getting bowls a Notre Dame should be in a Bowl every year if they are that good.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/2/2008, 12:42 PM
Wait.

Is this a playoff thread?

Crazy.

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2008, 12:43 PM
Wait.

Is this a playoff thread?

Crazy.

No it's not a playoff thread

jccouger
1/2/2008, 12:57 PM
FINALLY!

A thread that is NOT a playoff thread!

Wait...

AZSOONER
1/2/2008, 01:21 PM
I don't like that there's not a playoff. I've said a hundred times before I'm pro playoff. But there's not going to be a playoff so why not make our current system better? There needs to be some changes made to the BCS an Bowl system to make it more competitive especially up top.

I'm tired of these noncompetitive BCS games. Every year there's 1 competitive BCS game most years. And some years no competitive games. Here's what I think should be the rules of the BCS

1. Conference Champs from the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, Big East, SEC, and ACC get an automatic bid. You won't have a BCS system without this.

2. The other 4 bids got to the highest ranked teams unless these situations happen. A non BCS conference or Independent team end up in the top 10. Not Top 12 like it is now. Yes I think there's a big difference between the 2. But Hawaii still gets in anyway under either system. There will be a year when a Hawaii gets left out and they deserve it like they get this year.

3. Get rid of the rule where only 2 conference teams deserve in. OU, Kansas, Missouri all deserve a BCS game. There should be nothing saying they don't. In 1971(I think) the top 3 teams were all from the Big 8. If there was a BCS type system back then(I know computers didn't really exist then but bear with me) one of those teams gets left out. And there may be an other year where the top 3 teams are from the same conference.

And finally 4. Match up the highest ranked teams against each other. Not the top ranked in the BCS necessarily. But matchup 1 vs 2. 3 vs 4 and etc for all the BCS games. Not matched up because The Rose Bowl wants PAC 10 vs Big 10 or whatever.

I think that the only Bowl that would be against any of these is the Rose Bowl because they want that mathchup every year for whatever reason. But if they want to continue that mathchup they can continue it as a Non BCS team. Which means they get left with the extra teams. Another willing bowl like the Cotton Bowl for example can take their place if the Rose really wants that match-up so much.

I'm tired of having a system that has blowouts and boring games in the bigger games. I personally would like to have playoff because it makes those games that much more important. But a lot of people don't agree. With the current system we have should actually use it to have good games not these mediocre games we get.

The other change that needs to be made to the bowls is less of them. There are too many bad teams in all the bowls. 20 bowls puts the top 40 teams in. 11 from all the major conferences. Maybe have bowl spots for independents if they are ranked. But with 29 at large teams getting bowls a Notre Dame should be in a Bowl every year if they are that good.

5. The winners of those bowls play each other until 1 team is left.

Sirus
1/2/2008, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately, It's not about what you as a fan wants. It's about what the sponsors want.

Blues1
1/2/2008, 01:41 PM
Sugar Bowl My Most Painful experience in My 54 years of watching College Football --- Please Somebody Change Something ..... :)

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2008, 01:44 PM
5. The winners of those bowls play each other until 1 team is left.

That would be the best thing but it won't happen.

jwlynn64
1/2/2008, 01:44 PM
Another rule: No home teams. Bowl games should be neutral site games.

bri
1/2/2008, 01:45 PM
All the BCS muckity-mucks care about is putting on a "national championship game". They will always try to make the other four bowls non-competitive slapfights that have almost no bearing on the final rankings. If we smack WVU around the same way that USC beat up Illinois and Georgia did Hawaii and then the Orange is a blowout too, then no matter how ugly or unimpressive the championship game is, no "outside team" will have enough of a groundswell of support in the media to steal a fakey AP title. You'll have four teams who all have a convincing arguement that will split the protest vote amongst themselves and whoever wins the title game slips away with both #1 rankings.

It's genius, really.

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2008, 01:50 PM
The current system sucks because there are some years that you leave asking who is number 1? And you are supposed to have that answered with this system.

Jacie
1/2/2008, 01:51 PM
I'm tired of having a system that has blowouts and boring games in the bigger games.

So you really think your plan will eliminate these?

MextheBulldog
1/2/2008, 02:01 PM
I'm tired of having a system that has blowouts and boring games in the bigger games.

So you really think your plan will eliminate these?

No, but at least we will not have to read multiple stories about how "USC would love to play one more game" or Georgia "really belongs in the title game". Geez, ESPN.com and others are dripping with this whiny-crap today. And I'm sure we will hear some from the Sooner camp after tonight's whippin'.

MextheBulldog
1/2/2008, 02:03 PM
All the BCS muckity-mucks care about is putting on a "national championship game". They will always try to make the other four bowls non-competitive slapfights that have almost no bearing on the final rankings. If we smack WVU around the same way that USC beat up Illinois and Georgia did Hawaii and then the Orange is a blowout too, then no matter how ugly or unimpressive the championship game is, no "outside team" will have enough of a groundswell of support in the media to steal a fakey AP title. You'll have four teams who all have a convincing arguement that will split the protest vote amongst themselves and whoever wins the title game slips away with both #1 rankings.

It's genius, really.

Not sure about genius, but this is exactly why the BCS powers-that-be chose not to match up OU and VaTech in the Orange.

Dan Thompson
1/2/2008, 03:08 PM
I think the AP should vote a tie for #1. OU and

Soonersince57
1/2/2008, 03:28 PM
No, but at least we will not have to read multiple stories about how "USC would love to play one more game" or Georgia "really belongs in the title game". Geez, ESPN.com and others are dripping with this whiny-crap today. And I'm sure we will hear some from the Sooner camp after tonight's whippin'.

A couple of the CBS Sports commentators are talking about USC and Georgia are the best teams . . . even before the rest of the teams have played. They probably wrote the stories a couple of weeks ago and filled in the scores from yesterday.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/2/2008, 03:46 PM
No it's not a playoff thread

Pheeww!!! I thought it was gonna be about a playoff and how to REALLy pick the champion.

Thank goodness.

bri
1/2/2008, 04:00 PM
A couple of the CBS Sports commentators are talking about USC and Georgia are the best teams . . . even before the rest of the teams have played. They probably wrote the stories a couple of weeks ago and filled in the scores from yesterday.

That's their job.

It's a simple formula: It's Fox's job to prop the BCS up and cover up its flaws since they own the rights. It's every other media outlet's job to try and tear down the BCS in favor of something they can make money off of. :D