PDA

View Full Version : So, here we go (again)

Okla-homey
1/1/2008, 07:17 PM
WTF would be wrong with having the winners of the four BCS bowls get re-racked and stacked by the BCS "system" and have the two highest ranked teams emerging from those four bowls play the National Championship game on January 15? Hmmm?

Sort of baby steps towards a true play-off.

:pop:

TUSooner
1/1/2008, 07:20 PM
WTF would be wrong with having the winners of the four BCS bowls get re-racked and stacked by the BCS "system" and have the two highest ranked teams emerging from those four bowls play the National Championship game on January 15? Hmmm?

:pop:
According to some wise experts (e.g., you and me :) ) something like that is just around the corner, maybe after the 2010 season.

OUinFLA
1/1/2008, 07:45 PM
why hasn't someone mentioned that before?

perhaps the BCS committee just hasnt thought about it that way.

:rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 07:58 PM
I'd like to strangle the next person who mentions a play off.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 08:02 PM

cause you know Baylor will never be in one?

;)

GottaHavePride
1/1/2008, 11:00 PM
Playoff!

Who wants some? ;)

GottaHavePride
1/1/2008, 11:00 PM
Oh, hell it's after New YEar's now. time for a new avatar...

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 11:01 PM
Playoff!

Who wants some? ;)

I'm your huckleberry.

Aren't you a band guy? Pfft, should be easy. ;)

JohnnyMack
1/1/2008, 11:03 PM
+1

Enjoy it.

That's all you're getting.

olevetonahill
1/1/2008, 11:07 PM
You could IF you had any Balls :D

goingoneight
1/1/2008, 11:22 PM
WTF would be wrong with having the winners of the four BCS bowls get re-ranked and stacked by the BCS "system" and have the two highest ranked teams emerging from those four bowls play the National Championship game on January 15? Hmmm?

Nothing wrong with that, this is how it should be. Have the best of the best square off. Nothing wrong with adding a few (at most) more games. God knows eventually we'll see a 13 or 14-game regular season and a handful of other meaningless bowls with product lines attached.

That's what's wrong. What most people consider a "true playoff" is a system where someone doesnt belong, and likely could "get hot" and win it all by luck if nothing else. Look at the NFL right now. You KNOW which teams are the best, and some teams that have NO BUSINESS in the playoffs were still alive in the race against teams like Dallas that have earned their keep last week. As much as I love AD and all the other former Sooners, some teams flat-out just don't belong in the mix for a championship becfause they have not shown it or earned it.

If you bring the "true playoff" stereotype into the game, eventually teams that have no business being there will be there. Like say, last year Texas A&M.

They play the most ridiculous OOC schedule I can remember seeing, they catch the conference in a down year and get most of them at home. Still they manage to barely squeak by some horrible teams to finish 9-3.

9-3 looks good on you if you've got one of the toughest schedules in the nation or you proved yourself by winning your conference title. Not in this case. Would you honestly like seeing in say, 2010 this scenario?

Texas plays four pathetic OOC opponents, and loses three conference games to OU, Texas Tech and Nebraska. Say OU, Nebraska and Texas Tech are the best quality teams in the BIG 12 in that order. But Texas has the "record" and the "name" to get in the stereotypical "true playoff."

So you have this ridiculously long playoff and Texas stays healthy and catches all the little breaks they need to win it all. Fair?

My question: is the Toyota Bowl with two undeserving .500 teams really more entertaining and revenue-producing than settling this crapshoot once and for all?

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2008, 04:14 AM
Nope!

pott_2
1/2/2008, 04:45 AM
Nope!

Well put.