PDA

View Full Version : I really hate the way our country works sometimes

Widescreen
1/1/2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319392,00.html

Millions of $40 government coupons become available Tuesday to help low-tech television owners buy special converter boxes for older TVs that might not work after the switch to digital broadcasting.

Congress, in ordering the transition to digital broadcasting, set aside $1.5 billion for the coupon program, which will fund 33.5 million coupons and other costs.

The giveaway basically works under the honor system.

So the taxpayers are now funding people to get converter boxes for their old TV's. I didn't realize that TV was anything but a luxury. This is a colossal waste of money IMO. The people who will apply for this can't afford a converter box but they can afford PS3's and DVD players. Makes perfect sense to me.

StoopTroup
1/1/2008, 04:22 PM
I noticed the link there to Target for poise coupons.

That might come in handy for some too. :D

www.poise.com (http://www.poise.com/offers/webcoupon/POISE_webcoupon_target_010408.aspx)

Frozen Sooner
1/1/2008, 04:36 PM
Widescreen, I see where you're coming from.

On the other hand, analog broadcasts are going to be discontinued at the end of this year by government fiat-thus rendering TVs without converter boxes (or ATSC tuners) useless-which could be construed to be a massive government taking without due process.

And anyone who owns a PS3 without owning a digital TV is a moron anyhow. :D

Frozen Sooner
1/1/2008, 04:41 PM
My last post shouldn't be taken as an endorsement of this program, by the way. I'm just giving a reason why they might have done it.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 04:46 PM
I didn't realize that TV was anything but a luxury.

if you're on a fixed income and rely on a TV for information, weather broadcasts etc. it's not exactly a luxury.

bluedogok
1/1/2008, 05:17 PM
They did this so they could auction off the old spectrum for next-gen cell service at a ridiculous profit. The $1.5B will easily be covered by what they get for the spectrum they are abandoning. Money for the gov't is the only reason why this is happening, the broadcasters have fought it for years.

jk the sooner fan
1/1/2008, 05:27 PM
if the government had a hand in the mandatory switch from analog to digital, then it stands to reason they're going to provide some assistance

StoopTroup
1/1/2008, 05:32 PM
Do Fema trailers come equiped with the converters?

Vaevictis
1/1/2008, 06:27 PM
Money for the gov't is the only reason why this is happening, the broadcasters have fought it for years.

It's not the only reason. There are technical reasons too. With newer technology, we can make more efficient use of spectrum as compared to the old analog TV technology.

Widescreen
1/1/2008, 07:47 PM
Back in the '40's, did the government give handouts so people could get those new-fangled video boxes? I don't think so.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 07:52 PM
there's lots of crap the government is giving handouts for now that they didn't in the 40's.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/1/2008, 07:55 PM
I m writing my congressman now asking about a Wii coupon

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 08:06 PM
I m writing my congressman now asking about a Wii coupon
Mention me in your letter. I could use a wii.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 08:11 PM
the government pays sb1960 every two weeks. you should be mad about that too.

:D

walkoffsooner
1/1/2008, 08:25 PM
Sometimes people need help. The good ones don't mind giving it.

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 08:40 PM
the government pays sb1960 every two weeks. you should be mad about that too.

:D
Be that as it may, I still want my $40.

and a wii.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/1/2008, 08:46 PM
I want reparations! Give us our Wii!

And I dont need the converter box, so can I get my 40 in cash?

SoonerGirl06
1/1/2008, 09:16 PM
So does that mean if I have 3 analog TV's I get a coupon for each TV?

And I'd like a Wii too.

bluedogok
1/1/2008, 09:22 PM
It's not the only reason. There are technical reasons too. With newer technology, we can make more efficient use of spectrum as compared to the old analog TV technology.
C'mon, the gov't is involved...so you know that is 98% about the money. That was a critical element many years ago in "reducing the deficit" when they actually talked about things like that.

So does that mean if I have 3 analog TV's I get a coupon for each TV?

And I'd like a Wii too.
From what the news people here have been saying there is a 2 coupon limit per household.

SoonerGirl06
1/1/2008, 09:24 PM
From what the news people here have been saying there is a 2 coupon limit per household.

That's just total injustice right there. :(

r5TPsooner
1/1/2008, 09:56 PM
That's just total injustice right there. :(

I don't need mine, so I'll sell you mine for a SF price of $45 each.

SoonerGirl06
1/1/2008, 10:10 PM
Are you willing to set up a payment plan? I'm trying to save up for a Wii since the government won't give me a coupon for one of them.

bluedogok
1/2/2008, 01:06 PM
Here is an article about the spectrum sale, the expect to get at least $15 Billion for it.

Motley Fool - Meet Your New Wireless Company (http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/01/02/meet-your-new-wireless-company.aspx)
By Dave Mock
January 2, 2008

Get your paddles ready, auction buffs -- the electromagnetic equivalent of beachfront property will be up for bidding next month. The Federal Communications Commission is hoping to rake in at least $15 billion from a whole host of players for the rights to coveted wireless airwaves.

A total of 266 entities have already filed to participate in the auction, giving you a wide range of possibilities for your next wireless services provider. A few of the usual incumbents are there, including AT&T (NYSE: T), which is always good for dropping a few billion here or there. Search heavyweight Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) also made good on its promise to try to find new distribution channels for its advertisements and applications.

Even technology licensor and chip maker Qualcomm (Nasdaq: QCOM) has its hat in the ring. But why would Qualcomm want a license to provide services?

It's a good question. There are a number of entities on the list of potential bidders that are not known for offering wireless services, such as Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) co-founder Paul Allen and even Chevron (NYSE: CVX). But Qualcomm actually has a lot of experience running networks -- it started what has become Leap Wireless (NYSE: LEAP) today and built the mobile TV network behind Verizon's Vcast service.

Qualcomm may have designs on operating a super-broadband network using its own technology bolstered by its acquisition of Flarion in 2005. With "open access" requirements put on a good portion of the spectrum offered, the company may also consider this an alternative to the WiMAX platform being pushed by Intel (Nasdaq: INTC), Sprint Nextel, and Clearwire.

Whoever ends up with spectrum, consumers should see some great new broadband wireless services in a few years. Thanks to physics, the 700-megahertz frequencies being offered will provide better signals indoors, and it will be cheaper and quicker to build out the network. The better efficiency should help spread services deeper into rural markets, and the increased competition will also bring prices down even more.

With the new opportunities, investors should keep tabs on who comes away with licenses: There may be some great growth stories in the next few months.

Ike
1/2/2008, 01:26 PM
I don't really have a problem with this since the government is essentially rendering a bunch of folks TV sets useless with the mandated switch to digital signals just so they can re-auction off that part of the spectrum.

Personally, I'd rather that they keep things the way they are...but that would be asking too much of them.

1stTimeCaller
1/2/2008, 01:39 PM
will the TV antenna on my 5th wheel still pick up a signal when they switch or do I need to get myself a voucher to get a box?

frankensooner
1/2/2008, 01:43 PM
will the TV antenna on my 5th wheel still pick up a signal when they switch or do I need to get myself a voucher to get a box?
What kind of tee vee you got in there? If it has an atsc tuner in it already, you should be set.

Dio
1/2/2008, 01:48 PM
Sometimes people need help. The good ones don't mind giving it.

Helping because the government mandates it doesn't make you a "good one" (not that it applies here due to the old channels going away.)

And sign me up for one of those Wii coupons

Viking Kitten
1/2/2008, 04:04 PM
Y'all do realize the only people who need these boxes are people who don't have cable, right? Cable companies convert the signal for you. I'm guessing that's most everybody on this board.

You see, this program is mainly for people like my 80-year-old Granny who, raised during the depression and all, sees neither the need for cable nor a new TV when the old one works perfectly well. It would not be fair to ask my Granny, who has been financially responsible her whole life, to go out and drop a grand for a new HD TV. So as has already been pointed out, the costs of the coupons will be more than recouped by the sale of the old analog airwaves.

This is a non-issue.

Unless Granny decides she wants a Wii, then she should have one provided for her, because I bet she could rock some Guitar Hero.

IB4OU2
1/2/2008, 04:15 PM
Y'all do realize the only people who need these boxes are people who don't have cable, right? Cable companies convert the signal for you. I'm guessing that's most everybody on this board.

You see, this program is mainly for people like my 80-year-old Granny who, raised during the depression and all, sees neither the need for cable nor a new TV when the old one works perfectly well. It would not be fair to ask my Granny, who has been financially responsible her whole life, to go out and drop a grand for a new HD TV. So as has already been pointed out, the costs of the coupons will be more than recouped by the sale of the old analog airwaves.

This is a non-issue.

Unless Granny decides she wants a Wii, then she should have one provided for her, because I bet she could rock some Guitar Hero.

I agree. There's nothing like watching Lawrence Welk in HD.

frankensooner
1/2/2008, 04:30 PM
There is a killing to be made in a Lawrence Welk guitar hero edition!

Vaevictis
1/2/2008, 04:52 PM
C'mon, the gov't is involved...so you know that is 98% about the money. That was a critical element many years ago in "reducing the deficit" when they actually talked about things like that.

Oh, I'm certain money has something to do with it, and it ain't just from the sale of the spectrum either. You can be sure that the content and electronics industries have lobbyists spending money out the wazoo to make sure this happens.

But, as I said, there are technical benefits too.

OCUDad
1/2/2008, 04:58 PM
There is a killing to be made in a Lawrence Welk accordion hero edition!Fixed.

Widescreen
1/2/2008, 05:47 PM
This program is being run on the honor system. Kind of like the Katrina handouts. I foresee good things coming out of this.