PDA

View Full Version : Rump Roast

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 02:27 PM
Okay, so, I'm back in Waco and bought a rump roast to eat this evening.

I tried to replicate the way my mother always makes it, so I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees, I put the roast in a big pan thing and filled it with a couple of inches of water, and then I seasoned it. I wasn't sure if I should wrap it in tin foil or not but I figured better safe than sorry so I did.

Did I do this correctly? How long is it suppose to cook? I think it's about 2 lbs.

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 02:31 PM
If the big pan thing has a lid, there is no need for foil. A couple hours should do. Did you throw some taters and carrots in the pan?

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 02:32 PM
If the big pan thing has a lid, there is no need for foil. A couple hours should do. Did you throw some taters and carrots in the pan?

It doesn't have a lid. I probably should have added some vegetables to give the roast more taste, but I don't eat vegetables so I didn't bother.

Are you sure it's just a couple of hours? I like mine well done and I think my mother cooks hers over night.

Flagstaffsooner
1/1/2008, 02:33 PM
Get a slow cooker. Even you can't **** it up.

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 02:33 PM
Not at 350 she doesn't. Give her a call.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 02:34 PM
use a crock pot. it's foolproof.

edit - damn flag beat me to it. :D

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 02:36 PM
I'm not too sure this is gonna work out well without a lid. Good luck.

Flagstaffsooner
1/1/2008, 02:37 PM
I'm not too sure this is gonna work out well without a lid. Good luck.Good idea. Stick Lid in the oven.:D

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 02:38 PM
use a crock pot. it's foolproof.

edit - damn flag beat me to it. :D

I'm reasonably sure we don't have one and not sure I'd know one if I saw it.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 02:38 PM
Not at 350 she doesn't. Give her a call.

I guess you could cook it at 350 overnight....if you want to make a brick.

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 02:39 PM
Good idea. Stick Lid in the oven.:D

Now you people make fun of me for aspiring to be more Lid like but I guarantee you he'd know how to cook this damned thing.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 02:40 PM
I can't believe nobody has made a "rump" joke yet.

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 02:42 PM
SicEm, you know, a google search on "pot roast recipe" would have produced better results than a SO post. But this is more fun for us.

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 02:42 PM
I guess you could cook it at 350 overnight....if you want to make a brick.

Neither she, nor my father, nor my sister will pick up their damned phones!

:rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 02:43 PM
SicEm, you know, a google search on "pot roast recipe" would have produced better results than a SO post. But this is more fun for us.
You can't ask a recipe questions.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 02:45 PM
If you can cover the pan with tinfoil, it would probably help. You also need to invest in a meat thermometer - they're cheap.

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 02:46 PM
You can't ask a recipe questions. Why can't I?

Flagstaffsooner
1/1/2008, 02:46 PM
I'm reasonably sure we don't have one and not sure I'd know one if I saw it.Get one. My good friend Tailwind gave me one a few years ago for my birthday. Best damn thing. Throw a roast in there, drink a case of Natty, go pass out. When you wake up, melt in your mouth roast bevo.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 02:47 PM
Get one. My good friend Tailwind gave me one a few years ago for my birthday. Best damn thing. Throw a roast in there, drink a case of Natty, go pass out. When you wake up, melt in your mouth roast bevo.

flag just gave me an idea how to spend the rest of my day.

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 02:48 PM
I'm here to cook rump roast and drink beer, and I'm all out of rump roast.

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 02:50 PM
I put it in just after 12:00 and I turned the temp down to 150 about 10 minutes ago. I'm going to let it go until 2:30 or so then I'll take it out and cut itno it and see how it's going.

1stTimeCaller
1/1/2008, 02:54 PM
it will be medium rare

Flagstaffsooner
1/1/2008, 02:56 PM
flag just gave me an idea how to spend the rest of my day.Be sure and turn on the Beverly Hillbillies marathon. These **** bowl games are getting old.

Mongo
1/1/2008, 03:00 PM
rib roast>rump roast

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 03:09 PM
Be sure and turn on the Beverly Hillbillies marathon. These **** bowl games are getting old.

The Mizzou/Arkie game is boring as hell.

Flagstaffsooner
1/1/2008, 03:24 PM
it will be medium rareSicem's rump?

GottaHavePride
1/1/2008, 03:31 PM
You can't ask a recipe questions.
That's the point of a recipe, though. It has written instructions so you don't need to ask questions.

Rump Roast with Vegetables Recipes Courtesy of Gourmet Magazine Show: Cooking Live (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cl/0,1976,FOOD_9952,00.html) Episode: Basics of Family Cooking (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cl/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9952_13939,00.html) http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/images/spacers/spacer.gif

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/images/spacers/spacer.gif 3 pounds large boiling potatoes (about 6 to 8)
6 carrots, cut crosswise into thirds
1 boneless beef rump roast, 3 to 3 1/2 pounds, tied, at room temperature
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 (10-ounce) carton red or white pearl onions, blanched in boiling water 2 minutes and peeled
2 heads elephant garlic or regular garlic, seperated into cloves (unpeeled)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil For gravy:
3 cups beef broth
3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons balsamic or other red-wine vinegar

Peel potatoes and in a saucepan combine with salted water to cover. Bring water to a boil and simmer potatoes, covered, 10 minutes. Add carrots and simmer, covered 5 minutes. Drain vegetables and let cool. Quarter potatoes.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pat rump roast dry and season with salt and pepper. Put meat in a roasting pan, fat side up, and scatter sliced onion around it. In another roasting pan toss pearl onions, garlic, carrots and potatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast vegetables in upper third of oven, stirring once, 20 minutes.

Put meat in lower third of oven with roast meat and vegetables, stirring vegetables for, 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees and roast meat and vegetables until a meat thermometer registers 130 degree for medium-rare meat and vegetables are golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer meat and vegetables to a platter and keep warm, covered loosely with foil.

Make gravy: add broth to meat roasting pan and deglaze pan over high heat, scraping up browned bits. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and water and add to simmering broth in a stream, whisking. Add vinegar and simmer, whisking, 3 minutes. Strain gravy through a fine sieve and reserve 1 cup for making deviled miroton.

Serve roast, sliced thin, with gravy, reserving narrower half of roast, unsliced, for making deviled miroton.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 03:37 PM
^^^

I think that's too much trouble for sicem.

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 03:40 PM
Uh, yeah. I'm going to go with no.

I just want to cook the roast. The roast and ONLY the roast. I seasoned it but that's about as far as it goes.

Carrots my ***.

StoopTroup
1/1/2008, 03:42 PM
Maybe Lid could come over and help you roast your rump. ;)

GottaHavePride
1/1/2008, 03:47 PM
Uh, yeah. I'm going to go with no.

I just want to cook the roast. The roast and ONLY the roast. I seasoned it but that's about as far as it goes.

Carrots my ***.

Dude, you dislike the least offensive vegetable ever invented, with the possible exception of corn? I have identified your problem with the wimmins. You are teh boring.

It ain't a roast without the gravy. The gravy doesn't work without cooking the onions, potatoes, and carrots in the pan with the roast.

1stTimeCaller
1/1/2008, 03:47 PM
here's an easy recipe

put roast in crock pot, cut up a few carrots, cut up a few onions, cut up a few potatos, spice it up, pour can of beer into crock pot, turn crockpot on

GottaHavePride
1/1/2008, 03:49 PM
That's a good way to do it.

Although PG would debate the essential differences between pot roast and oven roast with you. ;)

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 03:52 PM
You all are missing the "no vegetables" caveat.

Also, I hate gravy.

I'm going to eat this roast with bread and that's it.

My roommate and his g/f may add some stuff to theirs, but that's their problem not mine. :D

1stTimeCaller
1/1/2008, 03:53 PM
oh yeah, don't eat the veggies if you don't like them.

I can't fathom how bland a roast tastes cooked w/o veggies

GottaHavePride
1/1/2008, 04:09 PM
You all are missing the "no vegetables" caveat.

Also, I hate gravy.

I'm going to eat this roast with bread and that's it.

My roommate and his g/f may add some stuff to theirs, but that's their problem not mine. :D

I didn't miss it. I was making fun of you for it. Good lord, carrots? Slice them in tiny sticks, 2" long and 1/8" square - put them in a pot and just barely cover them with water. Add some sugar. Cook for a while. When they're done you have tasty carrots in a sweet syrup. A 6-year-old can make it and if you don't like it then send yourself back to the factory, because you're defective. ;) I mean I was a damn picky eater through high school. Since I hit college I'll at least try just about anything.

GottaHavePride
1/1/2008, 04:10 PM
oh yeah, don't eat the veggies if you don't like them.

I can't fathom how bland a roast tastes cooked w/o veggies

Heh. Cooked to well-done with no veggies and it isn't a roast anymore, it's un-seasoned jerky.

1stTimeCaller
1/1/2008, 04:15 PM
heh, that's kinda what I was thinking.

Pass the leather boot, please!

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 04:16 PM
Heh. Cooked to well-done with no veggies and it isn't a roast anymore, it's un-seasoned jerky.
I seasoned it. It'll be damned good seasoned jerky.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 04:18 PM
well, is it done yet?

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 04:24 PM
well, is it done yet?
I don't think so. I turned the heat way down because I don't want it to be finished until this evening.

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 04:25 PM
you gotta take a picture of this thing and post it.

edit: the roast - a picture of the roast

StoopTroup
1/1/2008, 04:31 PM
Can you get banned for pix of your rump?

swardboy
1/1/2008, 06:16 PM
Hey, what's burning over at Sic Em's?

1stTimeCaller
1/1/2008, 06:24 PM
howsabout an update?

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 06:30 PM
It's finished!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/IMG_0504.jpg

Petro-Sooner
1/1/2008, 06:34 PM
looks edible. Perhaps a little dry. But for a non cooking SOB I'll give ya a thumbs up.

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 06:37 PM
Enjoy your meat and bread.

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 06:48 PM
It's pretty good. I'm pleased with myself.

GottaHavePride
1/1/2008, 06:48 PM
Enjoy your meat and bread.

Hooray! SicEm has achieved a medieval level of culinary skill! ;)

SicEmBaylor
1/1/2008, 06:50 PM
Hooray! SicEm has achieved a medieval level of culinary skill! ;)
I detect sarcasm!

Petro-Sooner
1/1/2008, 06:51 PM
I think hes laying it on pretty think. ;)

LoyalFan
1/2/2008, 12:01 AM
Neither she, nor my father, nor my sister will pick up their damned phones!

:rolleyes:

Curse you, CALLER ID!

LF

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/2/2008, 07:49 AM
See all that stuff around it that you sopped up with your bread? That's the beginnings of gravy.

TexasLidig8r
1/2/2008, 10:17 AM
It doesn't have a lid. I probably should have added some vegetables to give the roast more taste, but I don't eat vegetables so I didn't bother.

Are you sure it's just a couple of hours? I like mine well done and I think my mother cooks hers over night.

sigh..... :( where have I gone wrong?

Rump roast? Rump roast? The *** of a cow? Rump roast is the aggy of meats.

And.. well done! ???? :eek:

And... no vegetables? NONE? sigh... :(

Flagstaffsooner
1/2/2008, 10:27 AM
sigh..... :( where have I gone wrong?

Rump roast? Rump roast? The *** of a cow? Rump roast is the aggy of meats.

And.. well done! ???? :eek:

And... no vegetables? NONE? sigh... :(I thought we put a lid on you a couple of pages back.

1stTimeCaller
1/2/2008, 01:07 PM
The Wal-Marts was out of rump roast last night. The only roast they had left was a 5# eye of round roast. It is a very lean roast so we will see how it turns out.

OUDoc
1/2/2008, 01:20 PM
NEVER buy meat at WalMarts.

EVER.

SicEmBaylor
1/2/2008, 01:21 PM
NEVER buy meat at WalMarts.

EVER.

I second that. This came from the good old HEB.

frankensooner
1/2/2008, 01:23 PM
Crest has some fine meat products I have found.

1stTimeCaller
1/2/2008, 01:25 PM
it was the only non-convience store I could find within 45 minutes of Pleasant Plains, Arkansas.

I had to drive 1 hour and 5 minutes to the nearest place that sold beer. On my way back I saw a Wal-Mart and needed plastic plates, bowls, dog food and cheese. I wasn't going to spend too much time looking for a grocery store.