PDA

View Full Version : Does death defying motorcycle d00d do it or die?

Okla-homey
12/31/2007, 11:53 PM
I think he's gonna bust his arse.

85sooners
1/1/2008, 12:09 AM
:pop:

bluedogok
1/1/2008, 12:45 AM
He was flying that sucker, his second jump fell short. Too much crosswind and he didn't get the greatest of starts, I thought that was going to be a test run the way he came off the start.

Leroy Lizard
1/1/2008, 12:55 AM
What are y'all talkin' about?

OKC-SLC
1/1/2008, 01:18 AM
This whole thing had too much of a made-for-ESPN-tv feel for it NOT to have gone off safely.

I'm not a fan of just about all of the ESPN original stuff. Too contrived.

bluedogok
1/1/2008, 01:18 AM
Robbie Maddison did a 322'-7" jump twice in Las Vegas, they had it on ESPN after the Peach Bowl.

I guess you probably thought many of the Evel Knevil jumps were "contrived" as well and they didn't turn out so good. I remember watching those and Gary Wells jumps on Wide World of Sports. He could have very easily crashed, especially with the crosswind on the second jump. When you jump, there are things that can go wrong and it is magnified in a distance jump when you are hitting the ramp at 95 mph. A friend of mine shattered his leg distance ski jumping, something that he had done thousands of times because one little thing went wrong.

hgarmorer
1/1/2008, 01:38 AM
well he landed both jumps pretty damn smooth...takes some serious brass ones for that to happen

Okla-homey
1/1/2008, 01:44 AM
well he landed both jumps pretty damn smooth...takes some serious brass ones for that to happen

I agree. Ice water in his veins. Or drugs.

Anyhoo, that cute little wife of his looked like she was about to throw-up when he announced he was going for a second run. I'm thinking she's in for a lifetime of this stuff, so she better get used to it.:eek:

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 01:50 AM
I agree. Ice water in his veins. Or drugs.

Anyhoo, that cute little wife of his looked like she was about to throw-up when he announced he was going for a second run. I'm thinking she's in for a lifetime of this stuff, so she better get used to it.:eek:
Prolly a short one though.

bluedogok
1/1/2008, 01:50 AM
I botched a couple of landings in my youth, even for the smaller jumps that I did they hurt. Back then we didn't do anything close to what they do in a Supercross race these days let alone something like that.

Any one living with a racer or daredevil type better get used to it.

OKC-SLC
1/1/2008, 02:09 AM
Certainly it wasn't artificial--he just jumped a motorcycle 322+ feet. I'm not blind or stupid.

What I'm saying is that ESPN's broadcast was a bit nauseating, and I'm betting he'd had plenty of practice runs to best ensure that ESPN would not be broadcasting a body mangling.

And when I say I'm not a fan of ESPN's original stuff--I'm referring to Mark Schlereth wearing the hip jacket over the hip t-shirt, the 5-minute special on Tony Hawk's 900, and the relatively modest crowd at the jump.

I'm also referring to the Bob Knight made-for-TV-movie, The Bronx is Burning, the Dale Earnhardt Story, 22 hrs/day of the WSOP, and that you can't get thru a SportsCenter segment without a corporate sponsor (the Budweiser Hot Seat, the Ultimate Highlight sponsored by 'x', etc.).

hgarmorer
1/1/2008, 09:21 AM
I agree about the corporate sponsor crap, the budweiser hot seat questions are always lame and more luke-warm if anything. The Coors lite cold hard facts or whatever is nothing more than Sean Toolsbury making his "expert" opinion and he's usually wrong.

Now you gotta admit, I thought it was damn funny they even showed Mark getting dumped off the bike and no one went to see if he was ok. That was awesome. They were all probably thinking stick to football dumbass.

bluedogok
1/1/2008, 10:19 AM
What I'm saying is that ESPN's broadcast was a bit nauseating, and I'm betting he'd had plenty of practice runs to best ensure that ESPN would not be broadcasting a body mangling.
I certainly agree with that, they have became the hype machine. I guess that is what happens when the entertainment company people take over the sports people. Too much of what they do is about hype. I miss the old ESPN like I miss the old Speedvision.

Now you gotta admit, I thought it was damn funny they even showed Mark getting dumped off the bike and no one went to see if he was ok. That was awesome. They were all probably thinking stick to football dumbass.
Yep, he said he rode when he was 16, I can attest that dirt bike are way different than what they were 25 years ago. The wildest thing that I have ever ridden was a KX500 2-stroke (he jumped a Honda 500 2-stroke, the one that Stink wrecked on was a 250 2-stroke practice bike) those don't have a throttle, they have an on/off switch. Much wilder than any sportbike that I have ridden including some turbo bikes over the years.

Here is the video of the jump: ESPN.com - Motorcycle Jump (http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3175684)

Sooner_Bob
1/1/2008, 10:28 AM
We tuned in just in time to see the second jump . . . that was freakin' cool.

OKC-SLC
1/1/2008, 02:11 PM
Yep, he said he rode when he was 16, I can attest that dirt bike are way different than what they were 25 years ago. The wildest thing that I have ever ridden was a KX500 2-stroke (he jumped a Honda 500 2-stroke, the one that Stink wrecked on was a 250 2-stroke practice bike) those don't have a throttle, they have an on/off switch. Much wilder than any sportbike that I have ridden including some turbo bikes over the years.

My pansy azz doesn't have the chones to get on one of those bikes, let alone jump it 110 yards.

bluedogok
1/1/2008, 04:46 PM
My pansy azz doesn't have the chones to get on one of those bikes, let alone jump it 110 yards.
I can attest to that as well to the jumping aspect, I had a 25 mph highside in the rain on my motorcycle last April, it didn't feel very good. A friend and I pulled it out of the barbed wire fence and rode it the 20 miles more to the house. My 43 y.o. bones, joints and muscles are not near as pliable as they were 25 years ago.

StoopTroup
1/1/2008, 04:50 PM
As lame as the announcers were...

The jump was something.

Robbie is crazy as hell.

You don't see a whole lot of guys out there trying to break the record.

I'm betting his fiance never marries him.

MextheBulldog
1/1/2008, 07:53 PM
We were speculating what Robbie came away with for that stunt - $1 million?

VeeJay
1/2/2008, 12:53 AM
After the second sailing, I was hoping he'd opt for a best of seven.

SoonerObsession
1/2/2008, 01:17 AM
Dayum! That makes my 5 ft jump over two trash cans on my Mongoose seem kinda weak. I'll forgive myself since I was 12. I don't know what was cooler...him jumping the length of a football field or the hot little referee girls in short skirts? ;)

I_SMELL_FEAR
1/2/2008, 12:12 PM
I cant jump a bike over my driveway, and it was a very impressive jump, but he landed on a dirt ramp the size of Rhode Island.

Scott D
1/2/2008, 12:55 PM
I was hoping he would land in a body mangling wreck.