PDA

View Full Version : Best trio in college football history?

CORNholio
12/31/2007, 11:25 PM
Arkie seems to think it is this years 2007 team with Run-DMC, Felix Jones (from Tulsie), and Hillis. I gotta go with Thomas, Sanders, Hart Lee Dykes.

What say you?

CORNholio
12/31/2007, 11:26 PM
Or that Nebbish team that featured Tommie Frazier and Lawerence Phillips and any other random player.

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2007, 11:30 PM
Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside plus whoever you want to include from their team.

Dan Thompson
12/31/2007, 11:35 PM
I thought it was Matt Leinart, Tunder, and Lightning. Hey 2 of these are Heisman Trophy winners.

Until Vince Young met them.

I hate USC more than Texas.

Leroy Lizard
12/31/2007, 11:37 PM
Thomas and Sanders didn't start in the same backfield, IIRC. Are we forgetting the 1983 Nebraska trio?

I would go with Mildren, Pruitt, and Wylie. But I'm biased.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/1/2008, 12:36 AM
I would go with Mildren, Pruitt, and Wylie. But I'm biased.Best all white backfield evar: 1956 OU NC team, with Jimmy Harris QB, Billy Pricer FB, and HB's Tommy McDonald and Clendon Thomas. All those guys could run better than you would imagine, and both Harris and McDonald were excellent passers.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/1/2008, 12:41 AM
J.C. Watts.

David Overstreet.

Billy Sims.

Yea... I win.

Leroy Lizard
1/1/2008, 12:57 AM
Best all white backfield evar: 1956 OU NC team, with Jimmy Harris QB, Billy Pricer FB, and HB's Tommy McDonald and Clendon Thomas. All those guys could run better than you would imagine, and both Harris and McDonald were excellent passers.

Surprised you didn't pick the backfield with Billy Vessels.

1/1/2008, 01:05 AM
Surprised you didn't pick the backfield with Billy Vessels.I think the one I picked had more overall talent, and they crushed nearly everyone. Won 30+ games with Harris as QB. He never lost at OU.

hOlden caUlfield...
1/1/2008, 01:16 AM
Murray, Calhoun, Johnson.

I'm writing this from the future.

I'm in australia...

bmrsnou
1/1/2008, 02:05 AM
Thomas and Sanders didn't start in the same backfield, IIRC. Are we forgetting the 1983 Nebraska trio?

I would go with Mildren, Pruitt, and Wylie. But I'm biased.

As huge of a Sooner fan I am, I would have to go with the '83 Husker trio of Turner Gill, Mike Rozier (heisman) and Irving Fry. That might be the 2nd best team (OU '78 is the first!) to not win a MNC.

1/1/2008, 02:21 AM
As huge of a Sooner fan I am, I would have to go with the '83 Husker trio of Turner Gill, Mike Rozier (heisman) and Irving Fry. That might be the 2nd best team (OU '78 is the first!) to not win a MNC.The OU team of '73 was fabulous, too with all 3 Selmons on the DL.

LittleWingSooner
1/1/2008, 02:43 AM
If you want OU's best trio it's Harris, McDonald, and Thomas. I think they combined for around 45 TDs in 56 it may be closer to 50 but I don't remember how many TDs Harris had. McDonald and Thomas combined for around 35 by themselves.

The best ever may be Gill, Fryar, and Rozier from Nebraska in 83

LittleWingSooner
1/1/2008, 02:51 AM
71 OU trio is up there also. Pruitt, Mildren and whoever else you want to put in there is up there also. Those 2 combined for nearly 40 TDs. Wylie is probably the 3rd but he wasn't healthy all year. Crosswhite had a big year in 71 also.

freshchris05
1/1/2008, 03:40 AM
White, Peterson, Clayton?

heh.. just to be a homer...

JohnnyMack
1/1/2008, 09:38 AM
I'm partial to Holieway, Collins & Stafford.

Blues1
1/1/2008, 10:24 AM
Best all white backfield evar: 1956 OU NC team, with Jimmy Harris QB, Billy Pricer FB, and HB's Tommy McDonald and Clendon Thomas. All those guys could run better than you would imagine, and both Harris and McDonald were excellent passers.

Yep - Got to go with this group, It's a Shame they missed a Bowl Game in 56 - The Win streak would have been 48 instead of 47 - Lets start a NEW Bowl Win streak on January 2, 2008 ----- :)
Keep Rockin'

opksooner
1/1/2008, 10:55 AM
Crowder, McPhail, and Vessels deserve a mention.

Just sayin......................

swardboy
1/1/2008, 11:18 AM
I thought Dickerson and James for the Pony Express at SMU was pretty daunting....but can't name a third for it.

GottaHavePride
1/1/2008, 12:20 PM
The OU team of '73 was fabulous, too with all 3 Selmons on the DL.

And I was just about to say that Selmon, Selmon, and Selmon is probably the best college football trio. ;)

sooneron
1/1/2008, 12:28 PM
No love for White Peterson and Clayton? They didn't suck.

I also agree with Gill, Rozier and Fryar (For those of you that said it as Fry or the like). They were awesome. My all time fave was Lott, King, Sims ...(of course, you really can't omit Overstreet, so I guess they qualify for foursome).

The *******s from Watts in 04/05 may qualify, if only one of them hadn't already had an agent/sports marketer...

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2008, 12:32 PM
Reid, Bowman & Savage.

Most powerful offense in the world.

76soonergrad
1/1/2008, 12:32 PM

If it's defense, consider the 1974 team.

Rod Shoate
Lee Roy Selmon
Randy Hughes

All 3 All Americans. Undefeated.

Jacie
1/1/2008, 02:02 PM
Another homer (and sticking strictly with offense) I would pick the 71 trio of Mildren-Pruitt-Wylie. Mildren because he ran for over a 1200 yards, threw for almost a thousand and had more 100 yard games that year than Pruitt; Pruitt to his credit rushed for over 1700 yards and did beat Jack in 200 yard games 3-0 and because he was Mr. Hello-Goodbye (jerseys with his number and Hello on front-Goodbye on the back were popular then); Wylie, who also handled the punting and pulled off a really nice fake during a game played in Norman (Anyone remember which team was the opponent?) and was a good complement to Pruitt.

OUmillenium
1/1/2008, 02:16 PM

Beat me to it...the Selmons.

Screw the rest.

Leroy Lizard
1/1/2008, 07:05 PM
Reid, Bowman & Savage.

Most powerful offense in the world.

You can't attribute OSU's dominance of college football to only three guys. With just three guys on the field, they would have easily lost four or five games. No, it takes all 11 guys to be the Most Powerful Offense in the World.

StoopTroup
1/1/2008, 07:09 PM
If it's defense, consider the 1974 team.

Rod Shoate
Lee Roy Selmon
Randy Hughes

All 3 All Americans. Undefeated.

I might just say all three Selmons.

Even though they were a package deal I still think it was awesome to have them all at OU.

I will never forget them.

aero
1/1/2008, 08:01 PM
Steve Davis, Joe Washington, Billy Brooks. That team was stacked. Lee Roy and Dewey, Rod Shoate, Horace Ivory, Jimbo Elrod, Elvis Peacock, Tinker Owens, Tony Peters, Randy Hughes, Zac Henderson. And don't forget Gary Gibbs and Dean Blevins. '71 thru '75 OU was awesome. Really the entire decade.

1/1/2008, 11:42 PM
So it's decided...THE SOONERS lead with prolly the top7 or 8 threesomes EVAR.

StoopTroup
1/1/2008, 11:45 PM
Yep...most definitely.

goingoneight
1/1/2008, 11:46 PM
Bradford, Murray, Gresham 2008. :D

Curly Bill
1/2/2008, 12:32 AM
Bradford, Murray, Gresham 2008. :D

...but until then the correct answer is: Gill, Rozier, Fryar. :D

76soonergrad
1/2/2008, 02:06 AM
Steve Davis, Joe Washington, Billy Brooks. That team was stacked. Lee Roy and Dewey, Rod Shoate, Horace Ivory, Jimbo Elrod, Elvis Peacock, Tinker Owens, Tony Peters, Randy Hughes, Zac Henderson. And don't forget Gary Gibbs and Dean Blevins. '71 thru '75 OU was awesome. Really the entire decade.

I agree.
Plus Tom Brahaney, Vic Kearney, Greg Pruitt. I forgot about Tony Peters.

After the '73 Texas game, Tinker was on the cover of SI. That was a game that had the three Selmon brothers. It was the first texas game I went to. I love those years.

The '80s are a blur. But it is not the past. This is going to be our decade.