PDA

View Full Version : House 2-doors down from us got robbed last night

Widescreen
12/31/2007, 12:51 PM
We've lived in this neighborhood for over 6 years and have never had any kind of crime. Last night about 11:30 a cop knocks on our door and tells us that the house 2 doors down from us had been robbed and that while they were searching with the canine unit through the alley behind our houses, they noticed that our garage door was open and the dome light in our van was on. So we go into the garage and I look around and it appears nothing was taken and no one was hiding in the van. Whew.

The cops were standing in the alley behind our house talking and it sounds like 3 dudes with guns were hiding in the alley and the family came home. While the family was getting out of the car the bad guys pulled the guns on the family and took a bunch of stuff (wallets, etc). The canine unit was able to track their scent behind our house and around the recently vacated house next door to us.

Kinda scary to think those dudes could've walked into our garage and opened our door and come into our house while we were there. We're usually very diligent about closing the garage door but we'd gotten home a few hours earlier from Oklahoma and I guess we forgot this time. A mistake I don't plan on repeating. :eek:

The kiddos were scared and slept in our room last night.

SoonerTerry
12/31/2007, 12:54 PM
I'm glad ya'll are OK.

Scary stuff

soonerinabilene
12/31/2007, 01:00 PM
I suggest getting a pet tiger.

StoopTroup
12/31/2007, 01:00 PM
Wow Widescreen.

Glad everything is OK now.

Hopefully they'll catch those idiots soon.

GottaHavePride
12/31/2007, 01:02 PM
I suggest getting a pet shotgun or three.

OKLA21FAN
12/31/2007, 01:24 PM
when we moved into our house two years ago, we had been there about a week.

the good wife 'forgot' to lock the truck, and sure enough there was somebody 'rifling' through unlocked cars. there wasn't anything in the truck to steal. but they did find the Garage door opener.

what is scary is that they had the balls to open the garage and go to town taking what ever they could get while we were asleep in the house. and yes, the door from the garage to the house was not locked. no telling what they could have done to us.

two lessons learned that night.

1) nothing you own is worth risking your safety
2) get rid of those old 'visor clip on garage door openers'

IB4OU2
12/31/2007, 01:29 PM
I suggest getting a pet shotgun or three.

In!

bluedogok
12/31/2007, 01:58 PM
I hate the alley system like they have in Dallas, I have known too many whose houses were burglarized by a crew backing the van into the garage and taking their time loading up and no one ever saw anything. The whole idea was to get cars off the street but now the streets are full of cars since the garages are full or people have more cars than garage space. To me it was a failed experiment.

StoopTroup
12/31/2007, 02:00 PM
There's nothing like holding off some robbers with a shotgun in front of your Family.

Widescreen
12/31/2007, 04:29 PM
We've recently discussed getting a gun. This event may have been the tipping point.

Mongo
12/31/2007, 04:31 PM
We've recently discussed getting a gun. This event may have been the tipping point.

get an ED 209

SoonerGirl06
12/31/2007, 04:49 PM
I hate the alley system like they have in Dallas, I have known too many whose houses were burglarized by a crew backing the van into the garage and taking their time loading up and no one ever saw anything. The whole idea was to get cars off the street but now the streets are full of cars since the garages are full or people have more cars than garage space. To me it was a failed experiment.

I hate it too, but I thought it more for aesthetic reasons (not being able to see garages full of junk).

I think (and I could be wrong) they're trying to get way from that and start having the garages in the front for safety reasons.

Glad to hear you and your family weren't harmed WS. I hope the family that actually got robbed are okay too.

JohnnyMack
12/31/2007, 05:31 PM
Sandbags and an MG-42. Time to teach the kids how to fire the old Bonesaw.

Jerk
12/31/2007, 07:25 PM
Remington 870 with slugs and/or buckshot FTW.

YWIA

I would second JM's choice, but the price of ammo caused me to reconsider.

GottaHavePride
12/31/2007, 07:39 PM
There's nothing like holding off some robbers with a shotgun in front of your Family.

Beats confronting robbers in your house without a shotgun.

Although, if you're fast, a pair of 15-inch kukri knives can actually be more intimidating... ;)

http://www.ancient-east.com/collection/2005/kuks-pair2.jpg

1stTimeCaller
12/31/2007, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't recommend slugs in a home protection shotgun.

Mixer!
12/31/2007, 09:57 PM
http://www.bellum.nu/armoury/AStriker.jpg

Okla-homey
12/31/2007, 11:50 PM
it sounds like 3 dudes with guns were hiding in the alley and the family came home. While the family was getting out of the car the bad guys pulled the guns on the family and took a bunch of stuff (wallets, etc).

sounds to me like somebody had an axe to grind with that family. Perhaps there's more to the story.

Anyhoo, scary stuff. Get a dog. A big one. I recommend Belgian or German Shepherds. Great with the kiddoes and absolutely fearless when it comes to defending the casa while not being aggressive at other times. Crooks generally take a pass on homes with such four-legged and befanged alarm systems which are just the right height to bite the scrotal region.

JohnnyMack
12/31/2007, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't recommend slugs in a home protection shotgun.

No ****. Some Morton's Salt and your perimeter is sure to be breached.

Jerk
1/1/2008, 12:08 AM
Anyhoo, scary stuff. Get a dog. A big one. I recommend Belgian or German Shepherds.
Got that, too!

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4200/123107xf6.jpg

SOONER STEAKER
1/1/2008, 12:12 AM
Sounds like someon took your alls advice. It's about 11:15 and I hear repeated gunfire from the apts about 2 blocls away. Maybe someone can't tell time.

usmc-sooner
1/1/2008, 12:18 AM
http://www.maniacworld.com/Chihuahua-mad-at-the-world.jpg

Jerk
1/1/2008, 12:22 AM
http://www.maniacworld.com/Chihuahua-mad-at-the-world.jpg

lol spek otw for that one.

Widescreen
1/1/2008, 02:31 AM
Get a dog. A big one.
Recently got that covered. Doesn't he look like he'll be a good watchdog when he grows up? :O

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8418/p1060293gw7.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/4632/p1060417xe6.jpg

Mongo
1/1/2008, 07:35 AM
get an ED 209

joo has 15 seconds to comply

man, you are a funny dude, it sucks that others didnt get it

Jerk
1/1/2008, 08:16 AM
joo has 15 seconds to comply

man, you are a funny dude, it sucks that others didnt get it

I had to google it.

Can you believe they have a wilki page for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ED-209

Sooner_Bob
1/1/2008, 10:32 AM
Glad you guys are safe WS . . . hopefully the punks won't be back.

Widescreen
1/4/2008, 07:51 PM
Here's the newspaper article.

http://www.planostar.com/articles/2008/01/04/allen_american/news/0000000000000000000000000000000001news.prt

A man reported he was assaulted and robbed in his driveway late Sunday evening.

In a statement issued Monday morning, Sgt. Jon Felty, community relations officer for the Allen Police Department, said officers were called to the 700 block of Big Bend Drive about 11 p.m. in response to an aggravated robbery.

The victim told police three men had held him at gunpoint in the driveway behind his home and taken his phone, wallet, laptop computer with case and a .38 caliber Smith & Wesson handgun and then ran off down the alley.

“He had just come home from work and was talking on his cell phone to a friend,” Felty said. “He opened the door and … one of the suspects grabbed the door, opened it and held him at gun point.”

According to the victim, the men made him lay on the ground and then struck him in the middle of his back with what he believed to be a small handgun. While one of the suspects held him on the ground, another went through his car and grabbed up the property.

“As soon as they got those items, they ran off south down the alley, and the victim went inside to call the police,” Felty said.

The three were described as black males between the ages of 20 to 29, all wearing ski masks and dark clothing and carrying handguns.

Felty said the victim could not be absolute in his description due to the stress of the situation.

“All he describes them as is that they were wearing ski masks,” he said. “He says when all three males approached him, one was possibly not black but may have had makeup on to make him look like he was black. He’s not certain.”

Felty said investigators were following up on some evidence that was found at the scene and also were checking with neighbors and local merchants to see if anyone remembered any individuals that could be involved.

Police ask any citizen who may have additional information regarding this case to contact the Criminal Investigations Division at 214-509-4239.