PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Platforms

Mongo
12/30/2007, 11:06 PM
serious vote here folks. I am in the market for one of the major three. HD dvd's is a plus, but not a requirement.

Mongo
12/30/2007, 11:08 PM
damn, PS#= PS3

stoops the eternal pimp
12/30/2007, 11:10 PM
I really am liking the PS3. I ve had it for about a month. I have limited experience with the others but so fer, the PS3 is the bomb diggity

GottaHavePride
12/30/2007, 11:17 PM
HD DVD = X-Box 360

BluRay = PS3

I still think the 360 has more and better games available than the PS3 right now. I've heard the Wii is a blast, but I haven't played one yet.

Mongo
12/30/2007, 11:42 PM
the Wii would be good for the family to play

the PS3 would be good for me cause I have been a PS2 man, and I could own any of you fools on Tiger Woods:D

I like XBox, but any game I played on it, I have gotten a mudhole stomped in me. Probably I was never able to make the controller crossover

soonerinabilene
12/30/2007, 11:43 PM
The 360 has a lot more games right now, and better online play. You have to buy the HD dvd player as an add-on, where the ps3 comes with a blu-ray built in. Gameplay is close to the same. PS3 is a little more advanced on PS# exclusive games, but games available on both(madden, call of duty, etc) are exactly the same. You do have to pay for XBOX live(online play), and ps3 is free, but the overall experience is better on the xbox. Also, any xbox 360 made after october will have a falcon processer, which runs at a lower temperature and eliminates the biggest problem that 360 owners have- the infamous red ring of death(hardware failure). I dont know much about a wii, except that right now your only chance of getting one is waiting overnight for the delivery truck to get the store, or ebay.

melveaz
12/30/2007, 11:47 PM
Blu-Ray will beat HD DVD so go with the one with Blu Ray

OUAndy1807
12/30/2007, 11:56 PM
You do have to pay for XBOX live(online play), and ps3 is free, but the overall experience is better on the xbox.
yes, nothing says "overall experience is better on the xbox" like xbox live network issues over the holidays.
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/12/12-30-07-xbliveerror.jpg
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/29/xbox-live-up-and-running-flush-with-irony/

Mongo
12/31/2007, 12:07 AM
lets keep this thread snarky free or I will bane you all

OUAndy1807
12/31/2007, 12:13 AM
Sorry.

Mongo
12/31/2007, 12:15 AM
I think I am detecting more snark

OUAndy1807
12/31/2007, 12:17 AM
huh?

Mongo
12/31/2007, 12:18 AM
you editing bastard

GottaHavePride
12/31/2007, 12:21 AM
Heh. Yeah, since Microsoft came out with a lower-priced package over the holidays, X-Box Live has been borked from the increase in traffic. Mainly it's just crashed new registrations, people trying to port their gamertags over from their old X-Box, Call of Duty 4 online play, and Halo 3 matchmaking. The rest is ok. ;)

olevetonahill
12/31/2007, 12:30 AM
When I drink I like to WiiWii !;)

OUAndy1807
12/31/2007, 12:30 AM
honestly, 360 and PS3 are probably about the same. They both have enough quality games that unless you play A LOT you won't run out of games. It blows me away that microsoft charges for xboxlive, but honestly that probably won't last long if Sony continues to let gamers play for free.

Wii is fun, but to me not a machine for a gamer.

GottaHavePride
12/31/2007, 12:39 AM
Microsoft charges, but it's still only about $45 for an entire year.

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2007, 12:53 AM
Blu-Ray will beat HD DVD so go with the one with Blu Ray

I assume since you gave no support for your assertion that Sony's long history of successful new media introductions is what has convinced you of BD's eventual victory. ;)

There is likely to be no "winner" in the HD physical media war. Both appear to be in decent shape to continue as niche markets for the foreseeable future.

olevetonahill
12/31/2007, 01:18 AM
Try this
http://www.farpointmedia.net/images/logos/C4C1-144.jpg

Vaevictis
12/31/2007, 01:51 AM
The correct answer is, as it has always been with the console market: Figure out which games you want to play. Then figure out which console plays the best combination of those games, and buy it.

For example, I am a Shigeru Miyamoto fanboy. That means it's a Wii for me, at a minimum.

Eventually, I'll be getting a Playstation 3 -- if the price ever gets down to what I think is reasonable -- as it plays other series of games I like to play (just about anything by Square Soft, God of War, Devil May Cry, etc.)

Sooner_Bob
12/31/2007, 09:33 AM
Microsoft charges, but it's still only about $45 for an entire year.

I have yet to actually play a game on Xbox Live and I'm not sure I'm willing to pay for access. However, I really like the idea of downloadable games and downloaded Psychonauts the other day.

I need to just take a day to veg and play BioShock or something.

FYI . . . Assassin's Creed is on sale at WorstBuy for $39.99.

SoonerBorn68
12/31/2007, 09:48 AM
We bought a Wii for the kids at Christmas. It's the most fun I've had with a video game console in a while. I even bowled a 229. :D

Sooner_Bob
12/31/2007, 09:51 AM
My girls are wanting a Wii . . . but with the Xbox 360 and my PS2, my wife isn't too keen on the idea of a 3rd console. Yet.

OUDoc
12/31/2007, 09:57 AM
My girls are wanting a Wii . . . but with the Xbox 360 and my PS2, my wife isn't too keen on the idea of a 3rd console. Yet.
Go for it. We've got XBox, XBox 360, PS2 (two of them), PS3, Game Cube, Wii and Nintendo 64 all on various TV's. :O

IB4OU2
12/31/2007, 10:22 AM
I got a real nice chess set for christmas my kids did'nt know what to do with game pieces you actually touch and move around a board without looking at a console, pressing a button and playing/strategezing against someone sitting in the same room with you. I know....I'm old. ;)

Sooner_Bob
12/31/2007, 10:27 AM
Go for it. We've got XBox, XBox 360, PS2 (two of them), PS3, Game Cube, Wii and Nintendo 64 all on various TV's. :O

Duuude. When can I come for a visit? :D

I had an Xbox, but sold it to buy my 360. I wish I would've kept it since I can't play The Chronicles of Riddick/Butcher Bay on the 360 yet (if ever).

I found my old Sega Console at my parents on Christmas. I set it up for the girls and they play Sonic the Hedgehog for a while.

Dad said that he gave the old Nintendo to the Salvation Army or I would've let them play some Duck Hunt.

soonerinabilene
12/31/2007, 10:42 AM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x36/susannegrolsted/nintendo.jpg

No gaming platform is complete without this. And I am being totally serious.

OUAndy1807
12/31/2007, 10:47 AM
I have all of my previous gaming systems and games saved:
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
Nintendo 64
PS1
Gamecube

Fraggle145
12/31/2007, 11:29 AM
What about the good old fashion PC? We all spend a lot of time on them, and I game on mine. I = MMORPG dork.

StoopTroup
12/31/2007, 11:30 AM
I've played XBOX and PS2 quite a bit...

I've played PS3 a little and played wii in the store.

I'm leaning on buying a PS3.

The wii didn't impress me as I found it was harder to work thus making it a challenge for the little kids. I also only played it in the store and it might have been pretty abused as a display. I think given some more practice it's something that will probably be the future in gaming...I'm just not sold on paying that much to be their guinea pig.

I played the Guitar Hero III on the PS3 and it was so tempting to buy I had to have my Wife get me out of the store.

I also played the Rock Legend on the XBOX they had and as a Guitarist...it seems to be the future in guitar gaming as it has some controls further down on the neck of the guitar for Eddie Van Halen type moves.

Hope I helped.

ST

Sooner_Bob
12/31/2007, 12:32 PM
I need to give Rock Band a shot . . .

Does anyone use Gamefly?

soonerinabilene
12/31/2007, 12:54 PM
Whichever you decide to go with, get this game:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd139/playntrade_mtown/CallofDuty.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa177/Randy1936/callduty4.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x246/wolf_blood_01/124418.jpg

Pricetag
12/31/2007, 01:45 PM
The wii didn't impress me as I found it was harder to work thus making it a challenge for the little kids.
I disagree. I think the folks who will have trouble with it are older gamers who are addicted to the SNES-type controller that has been the norm for the past 15 years. Kids are much more flexible.

I have Madden 08 for the Wii, and I suck rocks at it, because I just can't translate the movements from the old controller style to the different (and more natural, really) motions with the Wii controller.

achiro
12/31/2007, 01:50 PM
I have a 360 and a wii. I will probably eventually buy a ps3 as well but not now.
The wii is fun but honestly the Sports disc that comes with it has been the one that we go back to mostly. What we have found is that if the game isn;t made specifically for wii then the controls are tougher to play. I say this from the standpoint of only playing a couple of multi consol games though so the controls may be better if you got use to them.

Xbox live is fantastic and the capabilities that you have with it are incredible. This last weekend is literally the first time I've had log in issues with live in the last 6+ years that I've had it. Being able to media stream from your puter to the xbox is cool, being able to stream from your ipod(any mp3) to the 360, which happens to be hooked up to my surround system, is really cool. the ability to download oldschool games is cool, the ability to download movies and tv show episodes is something I've not done but can see being cool for someone that had that sort of need. I don't mind paying the 49 per year to keep it.

The external hd player is something I haven't used but plan on buying soon. As I have said on here before, the external drive seems like a bad idea until you think aout the fact that if blue ray wins out, you can just swap for a blue ray player and not need a whole new system.

Oh, and COD4 rawks!

bluedogok
12/31/2007, 01:54 PM
I disagree. I think the folks who will have trouble with it are older gamers who are addicted to the SNES-type controller that has been the norm for the past 15 years. Kids are much more flexible.

I have Madden 08 for the Wii, and I suck rocks at it, because I just can't translate the movements from the old controller style to the different (and more natural, really) motions with the Wii controller.
I really think the Wii is designed for non-gamers and is meant to attract a different market segment than the 360 or PS3. We were at a party at a friends house (with the Wii on a 100" screen) and my wife had fun on it and she is a technophobe that only plays a few PC word games. I have read where it has become a big hit with the seniors that are not as tech savvy as most of us because the controls are more intuitive and less "gamer" like.

StoopTroup
12/31/2007, 02:04 PM

You might be right about the kid deal...

The system was on display so my kids had trouble with it...

I tried to help but I wasn't wanting to spend the rest of the day in the store developing our wii skills.

Pricetag
12/31/2007, 02:12 PM
I really think the Wii is designed for non-gamers and is meant to attract a different market segment than the 360 or PS3. We were at a party at a friends house (with the Wii on a 100" screen) and my wife had fun on it and she is a technophobe that only plays a few PC word games. I have read where it has become a big hit with the seniors that are not as tech savvy as most of us because the controls are more intuitive and less "gamer" like.
Most definitely. It's an interesting tactic in that it has brought in a market completely unexplored in the industry, while simultaneously turning off much of the known market. It's the only way Nintendo could compete this time around, IMO.

We bought it because Wii Sports was so much fun, and it was so much cheaper than the others that it was a much easier purchase. The potential is great if the developers can really make the controls work, and I know we'll get a several solid first-party titles from Nintendo no matter what.

Mongo
12/31/2007, 02:13 PM
what is the difference between the 80gig PS3 and the 40 or 60gig PS3, besides the obvious. Is it really that big of an importance to the 80gig?

and are the 360's still having the "red ring of death" issues? and what is the red ring of death?:D

Mjcpr
12/31/2007, 02:35 PM
what is the difference between the 80gig PS3 and the 40 or 60gig PS3, besides the obvious. Is it really that big of an importance to the 80gig?

and are the 360's still having the "red ring of death" issues? and what is the red ring of death?:D

20-40 gig.

YWIA

bluedogok
12/31/2007, 02:39 PM
I have the 40gb PS3 but I had no PS2 games having an old X-Box prior. If you have a library of PS2 games or are wanting the ability to use PS2 games you would want to get the 60/80gb PS3 since it has more backward compatibility than the 40gb version in that the 60/80gb has a PS2 emulator built in and the 40gb does not. The larger ones also have some more USB, Memory Stick ports (or something like that) as well.

In the PS3 thread that OUAndy started I posted a link to the PS3 Compatibility page which discussed some of that.

TheUnnamedSooner
12/31/2007, 02:46 PM
1. XBox 360
2. Wii (fun and good price)
3. PS3 (wayyy over priced)

soonerinabilene
12/31/2007, 03:03 PM

The red ring of death is when you have a hardware failure. Its called that because this is what your console looks like when it happens:
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb271/pakomix/20070516_0.jpg

Normally, those lights are green. Red lights means that your xbox is fried. You have to call microsoft, they send you a box with shipping instructions, you ship it back, 3-4 weeks later you receive a new console. The main problem behind this is that the xbox runs at a high temperature, and they were in such a rush to get it out on the market that they used cheap materials to hold the cpu processer in place, and the heat would melt the chip. To microsofts credit, they issued a 3 year warranty on all xbox 360s for free, and retrodated it to the time you purchased it. Its going to end up costing them over one billion dollars by the time it is all said and done to replace all the faulty consoles. About one out of every 7 consoles averaged this failure since the 360's release. They have also changed the way the new ones are made. Starting in october of this year, they went to a different processor that runs at a lower temp and uses less power. If you choose to purchase a new one, look on the box at the system details and look for the word Falcon. If it is on there, it is one of the newer models with the new processor in it. This is what you want to get. You should not have a red ring of death problem with it.

Mjcpr
12/31/2007, 03:05 PM
Not the red ring you were hoping for is it Mongo?

Mongo
12/31/2007, 03:57 PM
I prefer the cinnamon ring of fun

JohnnyMack
12/31/2007, 05:37 PM
Why don't you try reading some books?

Mongo
12/31/2007, 05:40 PM
Why don't you try reading some books?

why dont I punt your couche?

JohnnyMack
12/31/2007, 05:46 PM
Does that count as "having more sex"? It's my New Year's Resolution.

Mongo
12/31/2007, 05:48 PM
It would be like conventional sex that I dish out, hard and fast

JohnnyMack
12/31/2007, 05:55 PM
I'll get back to you. If things aren't going well by March or so, I'll PM you.

Vaevictis
12/31/2007, 06:04 PM

I have Madden '07, and the passing mechanics are fricking awesome. I can't imagine playing it any other way. Of course, it's also the first football video game I have ever really enjoyed, mostly because of the awesomeness of the passing mechanics.

It's just so damned simple. Each receiver has a button on the right hand controller, and when you're ready to pass, press the button, flick the controller -- hard or soft affects whether it's a laser or a lob -- and off you go.

Of course, they made some bad design choices with the controllers too. The whole "lift the controller to kick" thing was a bad idea. The motion is unnatural, and IMO, generally shouldn't be included in a control scheme.

(Heh, it just occurred to me that I should just flip the controller over and swing down during the kick sequences...)

Really, controller design on games is going to be what makes or breaks them. Good controller design will make an average game on the Wii good, and bad design will make a great game bad.

Mongo
1/1/2008, 09:21 AM
I'll get back to you. If things aren't going well by March or so, I'll PM you.

dude, it is only 8 1/2 hours into the new year and you already pm'd me?

I'll be up there later today

JohnnyMack
1/1/2008, 09:31 AM
I'm ronery. Oh so ronery.

Sooner_Bob
1/1/2008, 10:26 AM
Room.

frankensooner
1/2/2008, 03:49 PM
My wii freaked me out with the blue ring kept popping up. I was glad when I finally figured out what it was.

NormanPride
1/2/2008, 05:04 PM
I almost got a 360 just for Assassin's Creed and the "That's totally socially unacceptable!" hilarity it caused.

rufnek05
1/2/2008, 06:03 PM
i have a 360 and the roommate has a PS3, and I still like my 360 more than the PS3. More games, better online play, cheaper games. But the PS3 comes with the BR and you have to pay more for the HD-DVD upgrade on the 360. I still vote 360

SicEmBaylor
1/2/2008, 06:07 PM
If anyone ever wants to play some Halo3 then my gamer tag is SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2008, 07:15 PM
I have a complaint about Xbox Live.

Voice headsets. The people that have them are the most obnoxious *** idiots that I've ever heard. Most of them sound like they're 8 years old and the ones who are adults act like they're 8 years old.

Geezus.

MR2-Sooner86
1/6/2008, 07:34 PM
Being a big geek and owning two of the three I think I know a little about this.

Xbox 360

Pro: The best game library of the three. All the games you want on the PS3 you can get on the 360. Also the 360 has Gears of War, Bioshock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and others you can't get unless you have a gaming PC.
The 360 also has the best online of the three.

Con: The hardware sucks. I love my 360 but I've already got the red ring of death. Sure Microsoft sent me a brand new 360 but that still shouldn't happen. If you get one I suggest getting the cooling fan you can attach to the back.

Wii

Pro: The whole family can enjoy this. Wii Sports and Wii Play are two games everybody can enjoy. The controls are fun and different.

Con: After those two games the Wii loses its appeal. Several other games feel as if the motion controls were just thrown in there by developers. The Wii does not have the horsepower to run with the 360 and PS3 so the graphics are not as good. Also, the Wii does not have the library that the 360 or PS3 has. Unless you love Mario you're not getting many exclusives.

PS3

Pro: It's a cheap Blu-ray player. In the end the PS3 probably will have the better graphics but I hear the Cell is very hard to program for so it'll be a while before you see a difference between PS3 and 360 games.

Con: The thing is you're paying more for this Blu-ray player. Also, just so people know, the $400 PS3 DOES NOT play PS2 games. Also the library isn't that good. The games you can get on it, you can also get on the 360. Not to mention the exclusives are not that good. Final Fantasy 13 and Metal Gear Solid 4 are not worth that.

OUAndy1807
1/6/2008, 08:08 PM
so, which 2 do you own?

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2008, 10:05 PM
The 360 has the best version of Guitar Hero though.
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/8966/69333551ut8.jpg

Vaevictis
1/6/2008, 10:58 PM
Con: After those two games the Wii loses its appeal. Several other games feel as if the motion controls were just thrown in there by developers. The Wii does not have the horsepower to run with the 360 and PS3 so the graphics are not as good. Also, the Wii does not have the library that the 360 or PS3 has. Unless you love Mario you're not getting many exclusives.

And FWIW, this is not a consensus opinion. Yes, there are games where it feels as if the motion controls were just thrown in there.

However, I spend hours and hours playing Madden on the Wii, and for the most part, I find that the controls add a lot to the game. I also love me some Mario and Zelda.

(... and the fact that I can play all my Gamecube games on it, of which I have a reasonably sized library.)

dolemitesooner
1/7/2008, 07:33 AM
so, which 2 do you own?
I can agree with everything he said.

I also own 2.

I own the 360 and a ps3

critical_phil
1/11/2008, 11:11 PM
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6989/consolechartyr2.jpg

proud gonzo
1/11/2008, 11:44 PM
guitar hero = awesome