PDA

View Full Version : How would step up your own BCS

Dan Thompson
12/28/2007, 05:10 PM
computer rating, if you where selected to do so?

OK2LA
12/28/2007, 05:12 PM
How would talk forum if you wished?

Collier11
12/28/2007, 05:22 PM
computer rating, if you where selected to do so?

I would add back in the strength of schedule component where you get...

More Points
1: wins over BCS top 20
2: wins over BCS top 10 teams
3: winning conference games on the road
4: winning against ranked teams on the road.

Takes a hit in points
5: any win more than 1 at home over teams BCS #80 or above that are non conference
6: Losses

This is not a perfect formula and I would have to think about it alot more before I really had it down, but I would start with something like this

NYC Poke
12/28/2007, 05:41 PM
I would add back in the strength of schedule component where you get...

More Points

4: winning against ranked teams on the road.

Ranked at which point in time?

Collier11
12/28/2007, 05:42 PM
I think there should be 40/60 weight to their ranking when you play them and the FINAL BCS POLL rankings

Frozen Sooner
12/29/2007, 01:52 AM
If you are undefeated, you play in the national championship game.

If you are undefeated from the WAC, the national championship game you get to play in is the Tiddlywinks national championship.

Seriously, though, to set it up how people seem to really want it:

The #1 and #2 team from the AP and Coaches' polls are matched at the end of the season.

If there is disagreement as to which two teams are the #1 and #2 team, then the top teams (determined by the lowest ranked team in one poll that is ranked either 1 or 2 in the other) are ranked according to an average of three computer polls.

So, say if you have a final AP with OU #1 and USC #2 and a final Coaches' with USC #1 and OU #2, then OU and USC play. If you have a final AP with OU #1, Ohio State #2, Michigan #3, and USC #4 while the Coaches' has Ohio State #1, USC #2, Oklahoma #3, and Boise State #4, you would then rank the following teams:

OU, USC, Michigan, Boise State, and Ohio State

Based on an average of their computer rankings.

All computer rankings are to be based on their statistically validated models: none of this BS about removing MOV.

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2007, 05:45 AM
SOS and bonus points really need to come back.

Some sort of oversite committee with the authority to levy fines against coaches who consistently vote way out of line in the Coaches poll.

Margin of victory has to come back to the computer poll.

Harris poll needs to be VERY quick to remove voters who are ridiculous homers. I mean, if a LA guy votes USC #2 and OU #3 this year fine, but if he votes SUC #1 and OU #10, then he needs to go.

All out of division wins need to be excluded from computer rankings.

All conferences need a championship game and all conferences need 12 teams.

ALL teams should be required to be a member of a conference...PERIOD.

and lastly, we should get bonus points for being OU while everyone else wishes they were us!

PLaw
12/29/2007, 09:24 AM
Until every conference has a championship game, it is pretty much BS. When teams from championship game conferences have an additional game, the playing field is not level.

That said,

1. Total wins weighted at 30%

2. SOS with two components - OOC and IC. OOC weighted at 40% and IC at 60%. Total SOS would also be 30% of the total computer score.

3. Offensive Efficiency weighted at 15%. Components would include 3rd down conversion efficiency, offensive penalty yards, and total turnovers. Including points in any form encourages "style points" which leads to running up the score.

4. Defensive Efficiency weighted at 15%. Components would include total yards allowed, total points allowed, turnovers created, and penalty yardage.

5. Special Teams Efficiency weighted at 10%, Components to include total return yards, total return yards allowed, and penalty yards.

Basically, it's all meaningless without a playoff system.

BOOMER