PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Doctor

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/28/2007, 02:50 PM
I am looking for a new primary care physician/internist/family practitioner. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I know a few doctors, including OUDoc, but I am not that comfortable being friends with my doctor. Maybe I'm weird like that.

Anyway, does anyone have a doctor they like? Is it ok to set an appointment to "interview" a new doctor?

GrapevineSooner
12/28/2007, 02:58 PM
We initially interviewed pediatricians before the birth of our daughter.

Or at least my wife and her mom, who's a nurse over at Baylor Grapevine, did. From that standpoint, I'd say there's nothing wrong with setting up appointments to interview doctors. Like any other social relationship, YOU have a right to feel comfortable.

TopDaugIn2000
12/28/2007, 02:59 PM
I really like Dr. Livingston in Norman, he's at the new healthplex on NW 36th and Tecumseh.

Mjcpr
12/28/2007, 02:59 PM
Dr Livingston, I presume?

TopDaugIn2000
12/28/2007, 03:00 PM
yes

Howzit
12/28/2007, 03:00 PM
How about achir...oh...never mind.

LilSooner
12/28/2007, 03:03 PM
I would recommend not going to anyone who is associated with Norman Regional. But that's just me, I'm a hater.

Flagstaffsooner
12/28/2007, 03:05 PM
I always recommend this guy to my texass friends (http://www.nndb.com/people/272/000023203/)

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 03:06 PM
Dr. Brian Yeaman
950 N Porter Ave
Norman Clinic Inc
Norman, OK

University of Oklahoma
Tufts University - Boston

Excellent young doc...he would encourage you to interview him.

Mjcpr
12/28/2007, 03:11 PM
In the interview, ask them to squeeze or poke something personal. You'll learn a lot from this, then you can just go from there.

yermom
12/28/2007, 03:22 PM
I always recommend this guy to my texass friends (http://www.nndb.com/people/272/000023203/)

Copyright ©2007 Soylent Communications

heh

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/28/2007, 03:39 PM
hehDr Jack will help you OUT!

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 04:02 PM
I think JK just got out of the slammer.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/28/2007, 05:47 PM
Dr. Brian Yeaman
950 N Porter Ave
Norman Clinic Inc
Norman, OK

University of Oklahoma

Excellent young doc...he would encourage you to interview him.http://www.normanpho.com/images/Yeaman_Dr%20LR.jpg:hot:

76soonergrad
12/28/2007, 05:51 PM
Call the hospital in your area. Get the ER. Find a nurse there. Ask the nurse, "who do you like when in a pressure situation?" Or something to that effect.

Are you looking for a general practitioner?

Mjcpr
12/28/2007, 05:53 PM
Call the hospital in your area. Get the ER. Find a nurse there. Ask the nurse, "who do you like when in a pressure situation?" Or something to that effect.

You'd be hard pressed to beat Peyton Manning.

76soonergrad
12/28/2007, 05:55 PM
You'd also want someone at the top of his/her game. Not on the downside.

Example, if an OB/gyn is no longer delivering babies. They are past the peak.

JohnnyMack
12/28/2007, 05:58 PM
Dr Livingston, I presume?

You're better than this.

I should neg you.

Howzit
12/28/2007, 06:00 PM
IN!

okiediva
12/28/2007, 07:30 PM
Dr. Mitch Earley..Hes not in norman but on the southside...off of 119th and penn. He is really great and his staff is the best! He also has a lab in his office so if you need blood drawn or an x-ray it makes it a lot easier!

r5TPsooner
12/28/2007, 07:49 PM
Whoever you go with, I'd recommend a doctor who has an Internal Medicine background. They're not easy to find and not the cheapest, but they can do more than most regular doctors.

Good luck.

Turd_Ferguson
12/28/2007, 08:02 PM
Dr. Mitch Earley..Hes not in norman but on the southside...off of 119th and penn. He is really great and his staff is the best! He also has a lab in his office so if you need blood drawn or an x-ray it makes it a lot easier! My Dr. is either his wife, or his daughter....not sure which one he is. She has very soft hands....:hot:

KC//CRIMSON
12/28/2007, 08:05 PM
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/gilliam7_light.jpg

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

Doctor.

and Doctor.

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.normanpho.com/images/Yeaman_Dr%20LR.jpg:hot:

Oh, don't do that SBSB! I don't want to think of my doc in those terms...at my age he has too many opportunities with latex. :eek:

OUDoc
12/28/2007, 09:35 PM
Whoever you go with, I'd recommend a doctor who has an Internal Medicine background. They're not easy to find and not the cheapest, but they can do more than most regular doctors.

Good luck.
Boo.

Actually, for what it's worth, I disagree that they can do more.

r5TPsooner
12/28/2007, 09:55 PM
Boo.

We'll agree to disagree then:)

OKC-SLC
12/28/2007, 10:19 PM

Good luck.
I agree with OUDoc's post.

I am Board Certified in Internal Medicine. And my parents see a family practice M.D. And I'm very pleased with the care they've received for the last 20 years they've seen him. He was my doctor until I went away to school.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/28/2007, 10:32 PM
What's the difference between family practitioner and an internist? I've seen both. And to open a whole other can of worms, difference between DO and MD?

M
12/28/2007, 11:14 PM
http://www.normanpho.com/images/Yeaman_Dr%20LR.jpg:hot:

He kind of looks like Vince Vaughn.

LilSooner
12/28/2007, 11:17 PM
What's the difference between family practitioner and an internist? I've seen both. And to open a whole other can of worms, difference between DO and MD?

All I know is that a DO will pop your back where a MD won't.

HTH :D

OKC-SLC
12/29/2007, 01:40 AM
After medical school, one can do a residency (basically intense on-the-job training) in one of many specialties. Internal medicine is one of them (what I did). Family medicine/family practice is another (what OUDoc did). FaninAma did one in Peds. Radiology. General surgery. Orthopedic surgery. Et cetera.

Internal medicine is focused on medical care for adults. It's a three year residency. Family medicine is 3 or 4 years, not sure. It's more based on family care, so the doc is able to care for kids, adults, OB in some cases, etc. The internist is probably in general better equipped to care for adults because that is 100% of the focus during residency. However, many fam med docs are just as good at caring for adults. And of course, some internists suck.

The difference between DO and MD is sometimes minimal and sometimes significant. DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) generally has more of a holistic approach to a patient. This might include more practice/belief in alternative therapies. MD (Doctor of Medicine) is generally more scientific in the approach to patient care.

OU's college of medicine is an MD-awarding school. OSU's college of osteopathic medicine in tulsa is DO.

Frozen Sooner
12/29/2007, 01:45 AM
Boo.

Oh yeah? 'Cause my little brother is specializing in internal medicine, and he can pop his shoulders completely out of their sockets. Can YOU do that, Mr. GP?

;)

OklaPony
12/29/2007, 08:35 AM
Dr. Brian Yeaman
950 N Porter Ave
Norman Clinic Inc
Norman, OK

University of Oklahoma

Excellent young doc...he would encourage you to interview him.
Agreed, this guy's a winner in my book.

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2007, 08:52 AM
Try out Dr. Feelgood........... I hear he makes you feel alright.

I got nothing.

OUDoc
12/29/2007, 09:49 AM
Oh yeah? 'Cause my little brother is specializing in internal medicine, and he can pop his shoulders completely out of their sockets. Can YOU do that, Mr. GP?

;)
If he's small enough I could probably pop his shoulders out. ;)

And, I'm Family Medicine. GP's do only an intern year and no residency. People call us that all the time (even my brother).

OUDoc
12/29/2007, 09:52 AM
And internists are better at in-hospital care. They do a lot more training in the ICU/hospital than we do, Family Medicine is focused more on an out-patient setting.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/29/2007, 11:55 AM
I scheduled an appointment with an Internist for next week. I went to this same doctor before my insurance changed several years ago. We'll see how it goes. She's on the northside close to my office. I live south, so I may check out some of those docs mentioned from Norman and SOKC. It sure would be nice to have a doctor close to home.

PhxSooner
12/29/2007, 12:30 PM
I would love to find a doctor who is willing to take new patients. My husband called five on our insurance, and no one is accepting new patients. I hope neither one of us gets sick any time soon.

FirstandGoal
12/29/2007, 12:36 PM
Try in a couple of weeks. Many people change insurance plans on the first of the year, and one of those doctors might have room for more patients.

PhxSooner
12/29/2007, 12:40 PM
Try in a couple of weeks. Many people change insurance plans on the first of the year, and one of those doctors might have room for more patients.
Thanks! That hadn't occured to me.

TUSooner
12/29/2007, 02:09 PM
I know a few doctors, including Kathy Griffin and OUDoc, but I am not that comfortable being friends with my doctor. Maybe I'm weird like that.

Anyway, does anyone have a doctor they like? Is it ok to set an appointment to "interview" a new doctor?

That's smart x2.

I'd recommend my dad, an awesome "GP" back in the day when that's what they called Primary Care docs.
But he's 75 and retired.
(He can still do 20 chin-ups, though! :D )

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/31/2007, 02:00 PM
Oh, don't do that SBSB! I don't want to think of my doc in those terms...at my age he has too many opportunities with latex. :eek:Just saw this. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Lott's Bandana
12/31/2007, 02:25 PM
Just saw this. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Breddie, as hawt as you said he is, nevertheless, I don't want to be 'spectin a finger-wave and then wondering why I have a hand on each shoulder...

<rimshot>

pun intended

I'm killin me! :D

Doc Yeaman is first class. I grew up with Doc Thurston on Porter and damn if he won't see me anymore...stoopid pediatrician rules and all...where am I going to read Highlights? Anyway, I am retired military and have experienced a lot of medicine men (and women) and Y is incredibly impressive. Doc Y is very up to date with technology. (uses a pc tablet during visit, excellent and efficient and quick use of email, etc.) Finally, his office is close to where I live and my pharmacy is between and betwixt...bonus!

Hope you have the luck I did when I was looking...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/31/2007, 02:28 PM
Does Dr. Y do house calls? If my doctor looked like that I'd want house calls.

Lott's Bandana
12/31/2007, 02:32 PM
That's it...

I'm emailin him this thread link.

You're on your own now whether he races over to your pueblo with greased thermometer or hops on the next plane back to Boston.

I'm hopin for "a". Photos encouraged.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/31/2007, 02:37 PM
If he googles his name today, he's already seen it. Oops.

usmc-sooner
1/1/2008, 03:24 PM
my Dr. can lace the track, control the tempo

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/hiphopruckus/dr.jpg

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/7/2008, 12:14 PM
So I have my appointment this afternoon. It's not with Dr. Hottie, but we'll see how it goes. I've had a dull pain around my right collarbone for a few weeks so I need to get that seen.

OUDoc
1/7/2008, 12:24 PM
I've had a dull pain around my right collarbone for a few weeks so I need to get that seen.
Get a Wii for Christmas?

Sooner_Bob
1/7/2008, 12:33 PM
So I have my appointment this afternoon. It's not with Dr. Hottie, but we'll see how it goes. I've had a dull pain around my right collarbone for a few weeks so I need to get that seen.

http://www.papirusz.hu/browser/ism_newswf/images/1112/09n.gif

Spray some Windex on it!!

IB4OU2
1/7/2008, 12:38 PM
Get a Wii for Christmas?

That simple question could be a HEPA violation Doc. ;)

Vaevictis
1/7/2008, 02:30 PM
I always recommend Tom Baker, Christopher Eccleston, or David Tennant myself.