PDA

View Full Version : Stanford INDIANS Quarterback

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 02:38 PM
Since I got my first thread closed :eek: ...not sure why...I think I'll try again.

Who reminds you of this 1970 Heisman winner?

http://a.imagehost.org/0107/jimplunkett1992.jpg

Anti-Close Note Attempt: Stanford was called the Indians when he won the Heisman Trophy, so the comparison is valid, yes? No?
(this better, Jed?)

OklahomaRed
12/28/2007, 03:04 PM
Greg Plunkett. Doesn't look anything like Sam Bradford. I don't see the comparison. Same height? Same weight? Same style QB? I think it was closed because of the potential for same race? I have no idea of Plunkett's ancestry? :confused:

mikeelikee
12/28/2007, 03:13 PM
I believe his name is Jim Plunkett.

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 03:20 PM
Ok...this didn't work very well. :rolleyes:

Jim Plunkett was a cool customer with an incredibly strong arm that played like a man among boys in a suc-dominated Pac10:

His successful junior campaign saw him set league records for touchdown passes (20), passing yards (2,673) and total offense (2,786). This display of offensive firepower led Washington State coach Jim Sweeney to call Plunkett the "The best college football player I've ever seen." After his junior year, Plunkett became eligible to enter the NFL draft, which would have given him a chance to earn a large roster bonus for himself and his mother. He passed up the chance at a paycheck, however, so that he could set a good example to the chicano youth he had tutored. In his senior year he led Stanford to their first Rose Bowl appearance since 1952, a game that ended with a 27-17 Stanford victory over the favored Ohio State Buckeyes.

With eighteen passing and three rushing touchdowns added to his 2,715 passing yards on the year (which broke his own conference record), Plunkett was awarded the 1970 Heisman Trophy given annually to the top college football player in the country. Though he had set so many records on the season, 1970 had been the "Year of the Quarterback," and Plunkett beat out Notre Dame's Joe Theismann and Archie Manning of Ole Miss to win the award. He was the first Latino to win the Heisman Trophy. Aside from the Heisman, he captured the Maxwell Award for the nation's best quarterback and was named player of the year by United Press International, The Sporting News, and SPORT magazine. In addition, the American College Football Coaches Association designated him as their Offensive Player of the Year.

Comparisons with our guy:

Passing style
Success early
Respects and well-represents his heritage

Anyone who remembers watching him play in college knew he was something special.

The "indians" thingy is trivial irony folks, perhaps not obvious. Stanford became a color (Cardinal) in 1972 because of protests by the Native American Student Association.

birddog
12/28/2007, 03:37 PM
time to lock er down. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/28/2007, 03:50 PM
time to lock er down. :DQUICK, HURRY UP AND LOCK IT. Stuff like that blasphemy shouldn't be seen by us naive OK-types.

Frozen Sooner
12/28/2007, 04:21 PM
Personally, I'd go with Sonny Sixkiller instead of Plunkett. Sixkiller has the height as well.

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 04:31 PM
Personally, I'd go with Sonny Sixkiller instead of Plunkett. Sixkiller has the height as well.

Good call Mike. I gravitate towards JP because I was living in Marin at teh time. Also, his boatload of records.

Oh, and I wrote PAC10 up there...it was the PAC-8 back then. ;)

Wiki:

Sonny Sixkiller is an American football player and sports commentator. He was a quarterback for the University of Washington Huskies from 1970-1972. His family is originally from Oklahoma, but he grew up in Ashland, Oregon, United States. He was a member of the Los Angeles Rams for a short period of time although most of his career he spent in the Canadian Football League. Sixkiller also played with The Hawaiians of the World Football League. He was also a cast member in the original The Longest Yard. Sixkiller currently works as a color analyst for FSN Northwest.

Seamus
12/28/2007, 04:32 PM
Oh, that's a low score from the East German judge, Jim ...

OK2LA
12/28/2007, 05:09 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1002/racistub0.gif

OzarkSooner
12/28/2007, 05:32 PM
Cool, Sonny had an S.I. cover:

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1971/1004_large.jpg

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 05:39 PM
That helmet screams, "CONCUSSION"!

Frozen Sooner
12/28/2007, 06:00 PM
Heh. He and Sam even have the same expression.

picasso
12/28/2007, 06:07 PM
Cool, Sonny had an S.I. cover:

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1971/1004_large.jpg
"Where'd you play?"

"Oklahoma State."

"Oklahoma State U?"

"Oklahoma State Pen."

Lott's Bandana
12/28/2007, 08:26 PM
"Where'd you play?"

"Oklahoma State."

"Oklahoma State U?"

"Oklahoma State Pen."

Forgot about that line! **spek**:D

soonerboy_odanorth
12/28/2007, 10:51 PM
I had made a comment earlier in the season that I thought Sam resembled a young Jim Plunkett, and that was well before I knew a thing about either's heritage.

BTW, Sam initially was befuddled by the big deal that was made over his heritage. (Go back and read the interviews.) The kid is only 1/16th.

By way of example, I have two cousins that are 1/4 Cherokee, my Aunt 1/2, and you wouldn't be able to discern that they're any less Irish cracker than I am. And while that doesn't seem to have any bearing on this conversation, my point is that too big a deal has been made out of this by media and, sorry, Cherokee Nation leadership.

Bottom line is Sam Bradford is an OKLAHOMA kid who's out there kicking ***, and that's all anybody needs to know.

OUDoc
12/28/2007, 10:57 PM
That helmet screams, "CONCUSSION"!
It screams "Wrong size".:D

Lott's Bandana
12/29/2007, 12:53 AM
I had made a comment earlier in the season that I thought Sam resembled a young Jim Plunkett, and that was well before I knew a thing about either's heritage.

BTW, Sam initially was befuddled by the big deal that was made over his heritage. (Go back and read the interviews.) The kid is only 1/16th.

By way of example, I have two cousins that are 1/4 Cherokee, my Aunt 1/2, and you wouldn't be able to discern that they're any less Irish cracker than I am. And while that doesn't seem to have any bearing on this conversation, my point is that too big a deal has been made out of this by media and, sorry, Cherokee Nation leadership.

Bottom line is Sam Bradford is an OKLAHOMA kid who's out there kicking ***, and that's all anybody needs to know.

All well said. But sometimes your heritage chooses you and hopefully remains a respectful point of pride to them. Sam doesn't have to do anything but continue to be Sam and he will be a role model to those with similar heritage, whether he chooses to be or not. I think that is good.

Ash
12/29/2007, 01:25 AM

Yup, totally agree and I bet Sam would, too.